Melissa Dowse
Jenny Belobrajdic
Rochelle Rosenfield

Mateo Mathieu
May 15th, 2003, 09:46 AM
Jenny Belobrajdic retired so early

TS
May 15th, 2003, 09:52 AM
Christina - injured...again :sad: Since November last year. Don't know what it is, possibly the knee again.

Grahame - Injured. Hasn't played since AO qualies, and is reportedly back at uni. I'm confident she'll return as she was playing pretty well before she got injured.

Watson - Absolutely no idea. Hasn't played or committed to anything since $25K Bendigo. Either injured or retired. She isn't even listed as an Alternate for FO qualies (not that she would've made it anyway). I'm guessing it's an injury, can't see her retiring just yet.

Dowse, Belobrajdic and Rosenfield are all retired as far as I know.

ozfan44
May 16th, 2003, 02:20 AM
Dowse,Belobrajdic,Rosenfield :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :sad: :sad:
i hope amanda and christina come back soon
Amanda could easily be top 150 or better ;)
I never really liked watson there was something weird about her but she did reach the 3rd round of the aussie open so she obviously had the potential :rolleyes:

AUSBOY
May 16th, 2003, 03:34 AM
Watson needed some time out from tennis. The whole Australian Open shamozzle was very difficult emotionally for her.

I read an article in Victorian Tennis about her and how she had only found out 6pm the day before Qualies that she hadnt received a main draw wildcard!

Now that is totally ridiculous by Tennis Australia. How can you expect a player to then get over the huge disappointment and adequately prepare themselves tactically and mentally by 10am the following day!

She had rightly earnt a wildcard on her previous years performance.

Never in the past had they refused a wildcard to a 3rd round participant from the previous year.

It wasn't like Cindy's form leading up to the Aust Open was bad either pushing Cara Black in Hobart!

Tennis Australia must really hate her.

Disturbingly they have gone back to their tradition ways of wildcard allocation granting Evie (not required) the French Open wildcard and passing it onto to Christina Wheeler, purely on last years results! Both these girls form had been very average, particularly Christina although her form the last two weeks has been great.

I hope Watson can comeback. She's done it tougher than most.

ozfan44
May 16th, 2003, 06:02 AM
thanks 4 that ausboy

louloubelle
May 18th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Cyndi didn't come through the AIS ranks so maybe that was a problem too. Kristine Radford was another who had it tough with Tennis Aus before she cracked the top 100 then top 50. Maybe they don't like to be proven wrong.

Dowse I thought was OK. She was one of rare Aussie who when under pressure would try and tighten up her game instead of throwing points away. But that broken collar bone and homesickness set her back.

Never a fan of Rosenfeld with her sliced forehand, never knew much about Belobrajdic.

Mateo Mathieu
May 18th, 2003, 04:52 PM
I saw Belobrajdic once last January in Sydney. I saw her from many miles away and I thought it was Daniela Hantuchova!! :eek:

Vicky88
May 18th, 2003, 09:35 PM
[QUOTE=AUSBOY]

"Now that is totally ridiculous by Tennis Australia. How can you expect a player to then get over the huge disappointment and adequately prepare themselves tactically and mentally by 10am the following day!

She had rightly earnt a wildcard on her previous years performance."

I disagree that she has rightly earnt a wildcard. Cindy did play well at the AO in 2002 but the rest of her year was pitiful to say the least. I think it was poorly handled by AO, and they deserve a kick up the butt for how they did it in not informing her until the last moment what the situation was, but all of these girls need a wakeup call to realise that wildcards to the AO are not a right, but are to be earnt. That said I do question whether the wildcard that they allocated to Szilli should have gone to Watson because Szill had done nothing to deserve it either.

"Disturbingly they have gone back to their tradition ways of wildcard allocation granting Evie (not required) the French Open wildcard and passing it onto to Christina Wheeler, purely on last years results! Both these girls form had been very average, particularly Christina although her form the last two weeks has been great.

QUOTE]

For me it is logical that Evie would get offered the FO wildcard because she is the only one that was within reach of the main draw. As for Wheeler being next up for the wildcard, I agree with that decision as the only other player in contention would have been Stosur and as she got the AO wildcard and Wheeler missed out, it is only fair they have rotated.

AUSBOY
May 19th, 2003, 12:42 AM
For me it is logical that Evie would get offered the FO wildcard because she is the only one that was within reach of the main draw. As for Wheeler being next up for the wildcard, I agree with that decision as the only other player in contention would have been Stosur and as she got the AO wildcard and Wheeler missed out, it is only fair they have rotated.

I agree Vicky that its a logical decision. What I am querying is why they made an ILLOGICAL one early in the year with the Australian Open. Szili had done absolutely nothing to warrant a wildcard. She had performed way worse than Watson in the Australian Challengers.

It was a Horrendous decision to refuse Watson a main draw wildcard, as was it to refuse Australia's number 8 player, Mireille Dittmann a qualifying wildcard.

Vicky88
May 19th, 2003, 02:57 AM
Ausboy

Have to agree that Szilli decision didn't make a lot of sense then, and makes even less now. One thing we can be sure of, is she won't be getting one next year. If she does we will know for sure that there is something going on.

TS
May 19th, 2003, 03:05 AM
Matthew...I know I'll miss Jenny, she sure brightened up the court with her revealing outfits ;) Very pretty girl.

Moving on...

Yes I think Adriana's luck has well and truly run out. Surely they have noticed her pathetic results this year and I think the days of her getting WC's (even in challengers) are over...but for her sake I hope she lifts her game cos she certainly has enough talent.

louloubelle
May 19th, 2003, 03:21 PM
The idea with Szili (and I'm sure I'm not saying anything new!) was to give her a taste of the BIG time. I'm sure Tennis Aus were aware Szili's results weren't crash hot in November and there were 2 or 3 others more deserving results wise. But they have some high hopes for her and really it was probably a good time for her to get a taste of grand slam tennis and what it takes to be out there.

Hindsight is a great thing and the way she's playing now it's easy to say what a mistake and that the wildcard hasn't helped her at all to improve. But back then many of us were hopeful like Tennis Aus that she maybe our new bright thing - and worth atleast a look to see what she could do against some quality opposition. She's having a rough trot but the key is to see whether she's worth investing some time and money into. An what better way to do this than to give her a taste of the big time and how she responds to it. And admittedly.. so far she hasn't responded well!!!!!

I can remember people on this board bagging Sam Stosur's wildcard last year. She took Greta Arn to 3 sets, but atleast it gave her a taste of slam tennis and this year she backs it up with a 3rd rnd. Last year w/c may have been inconsequential for this year, but I'm sure Sam was glad to have it under her belt.

Atleast one or two wildcards should be used 'with a look to the future' not wasted on players who will never make it good on tour. And lets be fair dinkum - past records have shown the likes of Watson, Grahame, Stewart haven't got what it takes to make it good on the tour. I sympethise with Watson but she did herself no favours by playing poorly throughout the year.

I also applaud Tennis Aus for doing the same thing in the quallies... with Olivia, Daniella, Sophie. Really the likes of Musgrave, Dittman aren't going to qualify (or even win 1 rnd) but atleast these young girls get a chance to play some decent players and find out how much work they will need to do to get to that level.

Vicky88
May 19th, 2003, 07:05 PM
louloubelle

Agree entirely that the wildcards should be used to blood new players. The problem was in the past they were giving them to the more senior players who never did anything for the rest of the year. I see the wildcards as being intended to give them a bit of a boost to their finances and hopefully ranking if they can win a round or two. People talk about McQuillan, McShea etc. for wildcards and I say 100% they should not get them because their time is past. If they were good enough they would be ranked high enough to qualify by merit. I also believe that a good performance on it's own at the AO, followed by nothing else for the rest of the year does not merit a WC the following year. It has to be shown that the wildcard has lead to bigger and better things.

I think one thing we can be certain of, is unless Szilli has a magic second half of the year her name will not be mentioned in the same breath as "wild card" in 2004.

The idea with Szili (and I'm sure I'm not saying anything new!) was to give her a taste of the BIG time. I'm sure Tennis Aus were aware Szili's results weren't crash hot in November and there were 2 or 3 others more deserving results wise. But they have some high hopes for her and really it was probably a good time for her to get a taste of grand slam tennis and what it takes to be out there.

Hindsight is a great thing and the way she's playing now it's easy to say what a mistake and that the wildcard hasn't helped her at all to improve. But back then many of us were hopeful like Tennis Aus that she maybe our new bright thing - and worth atleast a look to see what she could do against some quality opposition. She's having a rough trot but the key is to see whether she's worth investing some time and money into. An what better way to do this than to give her a taste of the big time and how she responds to it. And admittedly.. so far she hasn't responded well!!!!!

I can remember people on this board bagging Sam Stosur's wildcard last year. She took Greta Arn to 3 sets, but atleast it gave her a taste of slam tennis and this year she backs it up with a 3rd rnd. Last year w/c may have been inconsequential for this year, but I'm sure Sam was glad to have it under her belt.

Atleast one or two wildcards should be used 'with a look to the future' not wasted on players who will never make it good on tour. And lets be fair dinkum - past records have shown the likes of Watson, Grahame, Stewart haven't got what it takes to make it good on the tour. I sympethise with Watson but she did herself no favours by playing poorly throughout the year.

I also applaud Tennis Aus for doing the same thing in the quallies... with Olivia, Daniella, Sophie. Really the likes of Musgrave, Dittman aren't going to qualify (or even win 1 rnd) but atleast these young girls get a chance to play some decent players and find out how much work they will need to do to get to that level.