PDA

View Full Version : Would the organisers thwart an all Williams final?

LozHippy
May 11th, 2003, 06:37 PM
I think Kim will be the number 2 seed and Venus the number 3 seed, and that SHOULD mean there's still a 50% chance that Serena and Venus will be on the opposite side of the draw.
However the cynic in me feels that theres a 90% chance they'll be on the same side of the draw, and not necesarily for racial reasons. I'd be willing to place a bet on it.
Do you think it's in the organisers interest to have a different lineup in the final, and would they fix the draw to ensure this?

Lisbeth
May 12th, 2003, 12:14 AM
Yes, still 50% chance either way. Draws are public so there's no way a tournament can "thwart" a particular draw, nor can they force one to occur. If anyone has a concern you can usually watch the draw live on TV in at least some places in the world, so I repeat - there is no way for a tournament to rig a draw!!

AjdeNate!
May 12th, 2003, 02:20 AM
I hope they are on opposite sides, for the simple fact that we may see a *new* winner. But I do also hope they're on same sides, so people won't unjustly cry foul.

azinna
May 14th, 2003, 12:01 PM
Rig the draw for a Williams semi? That wouldn't be in the French Open's interest. However ardently Justine or Amelie complain, the ratings and ticket sales for Williams matches have yet slack off.

And most tournaments try to keep their two biggest draws for as long as possible.

Knizzle
May 14th, 2003, 09:19 PM
Rig the draw for a Williams semi? That wouldn't be in the French Open's interest. However ardently Justine or Amelie complain, the ratings and ticket sales for Williams matches have yet slack off.

And most tournaments try to keep their two biggest draws for as long as possible.

I actually think the WS were put on opposites sides on purpose last year so they could possibly meet in the finals. Back then though it wasn't considered boring to have an All-Williams final. I don't know what will happen this year. I think they will want a French person to do very well.