PDA

View Full Version : Christina Wheeler

louloubelle
May 9th, 2003, 11:56 PM
Just read that Christine Wheeler beat Amy Frazier 6-1 6-1 at Sea Island. What a win!!

I think she plays Mattek next in the semis so fingers crossed she takes advantage of an opportunity that she, herself has created! After that, a shot at playing Sharapova or Kournikova in the final.

rusty_red_head
May 10th, 2003, 12:00 AM
Good work christina I hope you win the tournament
She also got a wc into french open

TS
May 10th, 2003, 04:00 AM
A very convincing win :) First top 50 win since beating Panova at Gold Coast 2 years ago? (Anna was ranked lower when Christina beat her in Paris last year)

Mattek is a tough cookie, but Christina's confidence must be sky high so she has a good chance of beating her, although it's not a given by any means.

Nice juicy bonus points here :drool: Which means she has now defended almost half her Paris points this week...which should make things a little easier for her, rankings wise :)

p.s - who do ya think she was first on the phone too? ;)

Jordan.
May 10th, 2003, 05:43 AM
Go Christina!!!!!! :bounce:

Postcard
May 10th, 2003, 09:48 AM

Umm...Her mum - because tomorrow is Mother's Day?!? :hearts:

*JR*
May 10th, 2003, 12:06 PM
As I recall, she's the older half of a "sister act", (like Evie and "Daniella with 2 el's"). Ow's the kid sis of each been doin inda junyers, esp. vs. Olivia? (I haven't had time to track 'em like normal, been workin on that stage version of Crocodile Dundee). ;)

louloubelle
May 10th, 2003, 01:29 PM

Ummm Nickypoo :confused: ;)

TS
May 10th, 2003, 05:05 PM
loulou got it in one ;)

Postcard...I'm sure she called her mum too ;)

rd...I haven't checked either lately...but Daniella has been doing OK. Maria is in no way at their level so I doubt she would have played either Dani or Olivia much. But Dani seems to have the wood over Olivia in junior comp.

Both Christina and Maria are tiny :o I havent seen Maria play but she looks around 10 (she is 14), just like older sis looks like a young teen (she is 21). lol

TS
May 11th, 2003, 05:47 AM
She is into the final now :D

Takes on Sharapova...good luck Chris!

Great result this week, it's been about 2 years from memory since an Aussie reached the final of an overseas challenger!

Jordan.
May 11th, 2003, 07:39 AM
Go Christina! You can do it!!!!!!! ;)

AUSBOY
May 11th, 2003, 01:13 PM
TS your memory is attrocious then hehehe

Almost a year ago to the day Amanda Grahame reached the final of $25K Bromma Challenger.

TS
May 11th, 2003, 04:05 PM
oops :o

Speaking of Amanda, I hope she comes back soon :)

AUSBOY
May 12th, 2003, 05:12 AM
Wheeler lost 6-4 6-3 :(

Good week for her though. Hope she's gained a lot more confidence which will see her in good stead for Roland Garros

ozfan44
May 15th, 2003, 05:32 AM
:cool: christina and lisa mcshea also lost in the doubles final so a great week for her and hopefully her confidence will continue this week in charlottesville $25k event where she is third seed and in first round plays gabriella volekova(svk) and in doubles this week with Julie Ditty of the us where they are seeded second and play a pair of qualifiers i have never heard of in the first round

i dont see her losing before semis where she might play 1-anna k but could have a tough one in quaters against 5-osterloh and in final would probably play brandi as second seed mattek lost first round

good luck christina :hearts: :lick:

ozfan44
May 15th, 2003, 05:38 AM
christina just won her first round match sorry dont have the score and now plays jamea jackson of the us in the second round and breaking news top seed anna k lost her first round match 62 67 64 to colosio of brazil ranked 380ish so i dont see anyone beating wheeler now

TS
May 15th, 2003, 06:57 AM
Don't jinx :fiery: ;) hehe

Well she's the highest seed left now, so the balls in her court (pardon the pun) :)

ozfan44
May 15th, 2003, 07:44 AM
jinx her not me i honestly think she will win this very comfortably

TS
May 18th, 2003, 01:31 PM
Christina is now in the final after a tough 3 set semi win against Skavronskaia.

She'll play Brandi. This match may just go all day! lol

Combining her Sea Island points with here, she should make around 145 in the ranks (in a weeks time). If she wins the final than somewhere around 140. Way to go girl :)

Vicky88
May 18th, 2003, 09:37 PM
Good to see that a good couple of weeks will propel Christina up the rankings. Let's hope she gets a good draw at the FO and can win at least one round.

ozfan44
May 19th, 2003, 07:14 AM
i agree vicky hope she gets a good draw then can cause an upset against a lower ranked seed and get into third round which would just about get her into top 100 or around abouts and a chance for direct at wimbledon

she certainly is running hot at the moment although it is at 25k challenger events french open is completely different story

Vicky88
May 19th, 2003, 07:08 PM
Well she lost of the final but has moved up in the rankings to 156. She will also move up again next week when her points from last week are added. Not sure how many points last week will get her, but even another 20 points will move her up 11 spots.

Keeping my fingers crossed she gets a sweet draw and can win a couple of rounds and make Wimbeldon on merit.

ozfan44
May 26th, 2003, 06:24 AM
plays garbin in round one tonight a match christina should win if she is serious and plays well

AUSBOY
May 26th, 2003, 07:59 AM
Up to a career high 147 this week, lets hope she can defend last years points with a win tonight!

ozfan44
May 27th, 2003, 04:55 AM
i am rieally pissed at wheeler she could have easily got to round three yet another missed chance

TS
May 27th, 2003, 08:06 AM
Easily gotten to round 3?? Perhaps she could've made it into round 2 (and I'm disappointed too), but beating Eleni Daniilidou? Not quite yet...

Gowza
May 27th, 2003, 09:42 AM
daniilidou didn't have good results coming into RG so i can see how you thought she could make the 3rd round. i was thinking the same thing but i was just hoping for a 1st round win.

ozfan44
May 28th, 2003, 02:42 AM
ts daniilidou was playing like shit and i thought pratt would beat her then i thought wheeler would beat pratt

louloubelle
Aug 7th, 2003, 08:24 AM
Last few months Christina's done OK however she seems to give a good account of herself in every match but just can't make that BREAKTHRU.

I feel she's a result or two away from pushing near top 100 (I maybe disillusional). Hoping for a qualifying berth at the US Open and then a rnd win maybe the kick start.