PDA

View Full Version : Kournikova has won three in a row - should I jump on the bandwagon?

Lelu
May 9th, 2003, 11:27 PM
It looks like Anna is on a roll - three matches won in a row! That hasn't happened in a rather long time. And, from looking at the board, her fans are ecstatic. I must say that I envy them as, even though I really enjoy tennis, I haven't been passionate about it since Steffi won RG.
So, I have a dilemma I hope you can help me with. I am not really sure whether I should become a born-again Kournikova fan now or I should wait until she wins a match in a WTA tournament. If I do it now, then, by the time she is in the semis of Wimbledon, no one will remember that I criticized her relentlessly when she was in a slump. But if I wait any longer, she might win the Sea Island challenger, move on to the bigger and brighter victories, and the true Anna fans won't accept me as a true supporter. And I will be still left without a favourite player.
Any suggestions?

Dava
May 9th, 2003, 11:30 PM
Well dont jump on the bandwagon just yet, she has not won any tournaments, and she could still bomb out on the pro tour.

WhatTheDeuce
May 9th, 2003, 11:33 PM
a true fan is a true fan...i stick by anna whether she's doing bad or good...do what you feel inside...;)

kournikovafan13
May 9th, 2003, 11:35 PM
Geez, everyone acts like she hasn't won a WTA match in years, lol

The last time Anna had this many wins was in September last year, when she got to the Shanghai final. Which may be a long time ago, but she's only played in six tournaments since then...

And I'm not really ecstatic, I mean, if Anna wasn't winning these matches then I'd really worry, and the way she came through in her first round match was not impressive at all.

Rao is a decent player, but if she manages to beat Sharapova then I'll be very pleased, as Maria is a very talented player (albeit she hasn't done much this year).

auntie janie
May 9th, 2003, 11:39 PM
Maria actually hasn't done very well since turning pro (as shown by her ranking). She reached a couple of Challenger finals, if I recall correctly, but hasn't won one yet. Good win today for her over Brandi, though poor Kristina has been having a lot of problems too, :(

decemberlove
May 9th, 2003, 11:47 PM
And I'm not really ecstatic, I mean, if Anna wasn't winning these matches then I'd really worry, and the way she came through in her first round match was not impressive at all.

i feel the same way.

Steam
May 10th, 2003, 12:34 AM
As an Anna fan you don't know what to make of this. It is nice that she is winning since she should be but at the same time its sad that its come to this. However, it could be worse though, she could have entered Berlin and lost in the first round hurting her confidence even more.

the cat
May 10th, 2003, 01:14 AM
It's good that Anna is gaining confidence by winning matches. But a loss tomorrow against Maria Sharapova, a distinct possibility, would shatter her confidence. If Anna doesn't get nervous tomorrow against Maria she should be fine.

disposablehero
May 10th, 2003, 01:15 AM
Maybe you should jump under the bandwagon.

CJ07
May 10th, 2003, 01:16 AM
actually sharapova has won several she just isnt in the top 100 yet

if shes not by the end of the year, well then...

Cariaoke
May 10th, 2003, 01:37 AM
I tried to jump on the bandwagon but I fell. :sad: I wasn't much of a jumper, anyway. *kicks Alexandra Stevenson's racquet bag* I feel better now.

SerialKiller#69
May 10th, 2003, 10:15 AM

lol. and then after, the bandwagon should roll over you Lelu.

Messenger
May 10th, 2003, 10:18 AM

I'll jump if it means the bandwagon will crash and be quiet for 1 day on this board.