PDA

View Full Version : Confident Capriati Cruises Into German Open Semis

tennisIlove09
May 9th, 2003, 09:58 PM
Confident Capriati Cruises Into German Open Semis

Jennifer Capriati By Richard Pagliaro
05/09/2003

A damp drizzle danced on the red clay court in Berlin providing liquid percussion to the proceedings on court. The damp, dreary conditions did not distract Jennifer Capriati from sending a steady stream of strong shots off the strings of her racquet.

The 2001 French Open champion cruised to a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Elena Likhovtseva to advance to the semifinals of the German Open. Capriati has yet to surrender a set in her three tournament triumphs and is confident she can prevail in Saturday's semifinal showdown against top-seeded Kim Clijsters, who crushed slender Slovak Daniela Hantuchova, 6-0, 6-3.

Two years ago, Capriati fought back from a one-set deficit to conquer Clijsters, 1-6, 6-4, 12-10 in the Roland Garros final. Capriati was two points from defeat on four occasions in that final, which featured the longest third set in a French Open women's final in history.

"I always have these dogfights with her," Capriati said. "I'm feeling confident enough to win the tournament."

The third-ranked Clijsters is winless in three career meetings with Capriati and knows she must pick up her play to advance to the final.

"I'll have to play better to beat her," Clijsters said. "I've been playing well, but there's still things I need to improve on.":,

The seventh-ranked Capriati won four of the first five games in the second set as Likhovtseva spent much of that time chasing Capriati's shots across the court. The Russian closed to 3-4 and had four break break-point chances in the eighth game, but the combative Capriati held serve for 5-3 then broke to seal the 72-minute match.

Two years ago, Capriati reached the German Open final before falling to Amelie Mauresmo. Three weeks later, she defeated Clijsters to win the Roland Garros crown.

selesfan87
May 9th, 2003, 10:16 PM
Jen really is playing well right now. She looked to be in amazing form in her match against Nat. That winning drive volley into the corner on match point was incredible!
It shows how good Capriati is moving, making shots you wouldn't think were possible to be made.
Her movement up the court has improved, and her confidence and agility is shown in the way she can now effectivley cover the net and put those volleys away.

Go Jen Cap!

Tratree
May 9th, 2003, 10:28 PM
Gosh, it would be nice if we could SEE any of these matches...damn ESPN.

JenCpLvr
May 10th, 2003, 02:34 AM
Gosh, it would be nice if we could SEE any of these matches...damn ESPN.

AMEN!! Who gives a rats ass about the worlds strongest woman from 2 years ago?!?!!?! UGH!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: