PDA

View Full Version : Maria Sharapova (RUS) vs. Anna Kournikova (RUS)

WhatTheDeuce
May 9th, 2003, 08:53 PM
Who will win this Semifinal match in Sea Island?

selesfan87
May 9th, 2003, 08:54 PM
Maria.

WhatTheDeuce
May 9th, 2003, 08:54 PM
Maria.
Anna :bounce:

DO IT GIRL!!!

selesfan87
May 9th, 2003, 08:55 PM
although I would like to see Anna win this, I have a feeling Maria will win in 3 close sets.

Well done Anna for so far reaching the semis!

The Guilty
May 9th, 2003, 08:56 PM
Anna in 2 :D

Yak
May 9th, 2003, 09:00 PM
If Anna wins the first set, in two and if Anna loses the first set, in three ;) LOL.. does that make sense?

thalle
May 9th, 2003, 09:00 PM
Maria....

CJ07
May 9th, 2003, 09:13 PM
Anna I think is feeling better now that shes won 3 straight matches

I always felt if that she won her first match she'd win the whole thing

Kournikova (RUS) def. Sharapova (RUS) 6-4 4-6 6-3
Something like that

WhatTheDeuce
May 9th, 2003, 09:20 PM
If Anna wins the first set, in two and if Anna loses the first set, in three ;) LOL.. does that make sense?
i understand ;)

if anna plays her game and plays well she will win easily...of course since it is anna, you never know what you are going to get...but im really hoping anna pulls through...PLEASE ANNA...PLEASE...

selesfan87
May 9th, 2003, 09:23 PM
I would be shockingly dissapointed in Anna served 38 double faults and made 20 unforced errors.
I don't think I will be shockingly dissapointed for this one. :)

faboozadoo15
May 9th, 2003, 09:28 PM
i think this is anna's match to lose and maria's match to win- no matter how you slice it. i think anna will take it in three. she has won pretty easily the last 2 matches, so i think this will be tougher, but she will be ready.

Dava
May 9th, 2003, 09:53 PM
I don't really know enough about Maria to start saying this and that about her, but I think if Anna is solid then she should pull the win.

What time does this match start tommorow, I will be glued to my computer!!

CJ07
May 9th, 2003, 09:54 PM
Sharapova is good, but I'm starting to think Dinara Safina will be the better player

her rank is half that of Sharapova and shes what 6 months older

Kart
May 9th, 2003, 09:56 PM
This is actually a big match for Anna - she can beat Sharapova but she will properly have to work for it.

GO ANNA !!!!!!!

Dava
May 9th, 2003, 09:57 PM
Safina and Vera Z are my pick of the Russians, then Elena D, and Ana M. I think they will hold the top 5 spots of the coming years. If Anna can pick up her consistancy then she could join them. I also think Maria could but as I have said I don't know about her that much.

Whatzup
May 9th, 2003, 10:41 PM
6-2 6-3 for Anna :D

CJ07
May 9th, 2003, 10:43 PM
Maria will probably eventually crack the top 5

but the thing I question is her mental fortitude
because like Kournikova she has all the talent but can she put it on the court

I'm starting to think Anna will get back to the top 10, she seems to have the ambition, drive and work ethic

and to actually play challengers is really an assertion that shes dead serious

auntie janie
May 9th, 2003, 10:53 PM
Anna: Rank 72

Maria: Rank 163

I pick Anna to win it. Though she may have a brief hiccup if she must serve it out, Maria will then return the favor by making untimely UEs of her own, & Anna will win.

Leena
May 9th, 2003, 11:19 PM
Anna 6-2 6-3... Maria just hasn't played well lately, and hasn't proved she can beat the top level of the tour.

I really want Maria to win though... not just because she's facing Anna... but whatever.

the cat
May 9th, 2003, 11:24 PM
I am really looking forward to this match! :D I think Anna's experience and finesse will pull her through. But they both lack a killer instinct and mental toughness. So if Maria has a good day and Anna struggles, then Maria could win. I bet they both will be very nervous.

mmcdonald, Dinara is 1 year older than Maria, not 6 months.

CJ07
May 9th, 2003, 11:24 PM
Leena, has thou lost faith in thy fave?

no more Elena avatar????

Steam
May 9th, 2003, 11:28 PM
Cat, just make sure you have your doctor on speed dial. Good thing you can't see it or I have a hunch you would drop of a heart attack.

This is a must win for Anna. Losing to Maria would be a damaging blow to her confidence. Just like when she first went up against Dementieva I think that Anna will win this one in two.

WhatTheDeuce
May 9th, 2003, 11:48 PM
omg leena :eek: why do you have an anna avatar? ;)

Cariaoke
May 9th, 2003, 11:51 PM
Anna, for sure.

Leena
May 9th, 2003, 11:53 PM
omg leena :eek: why do you have an anna avatar? ;)
I'm just aggravated that Lena's not playing... I've seriously been freaking out because I'm worried about her. :sad: I don't want to see her pretty smile every post. :p

Bezz
May 10th, 2003, 12:08 AM
Kournikova of course :bounce: :bounce:

6-3 6-2

the cat
May 10th, 2003, 12:09 AM
Steam, my Doctor is off tomorrow! I'm sure he'll be golfing somewhere! ;) This is going to be hard to do, but I am going to have to remove myself from a rooting interest in this match. But Anna needs the win more than Maria does. Her experience and all court game which includes alot of finesse should be enough to defeat Maria. But Anna is nervous like she was against Dinara Safina, Maria could capitalize on that and pyull the upset. But that was Anna's first match back after an injury layoff. And she was rusty. She seems to be in good form in Sea Island.

~SunFlower~
May 10th, 2003, 12:13 AM
Leena, excellent idea... ;)

I've change my avatar as well..... ;)

Maria knows who I am..... she doesn't like what she she sees...... so she will have to beat Anna in order for me to change back to my original Maria Sharapova avatar.... :p

Dawn Marie
May 10th, 2003, 12:22 AM
This match will go either way and whoever makes the fewer error and plays the big points better will win.

Don't underestimate this Shary gurl though, I think she is for real. (meaning is eager to put off court stuff aside to win grandslams)

cat, Anna won three matches in a Challenger and that is good for her confidence but nobody can really tell what kind of form she is in, at least not compared to the WTA tour elite. I do though think this is the best possible match so far for Anna to compete in , while playing this challenger.

anywaz.. Anna 6/3 2/6 6/3

or Maria 6/2 6/1

the cat
May 10th, 2003, 12:24 AM
Hi Sharky! :wavey: Why did you replace Maria Sharapova's avatar with Anna Kournikova's avatar? Oh I get it. You are using your analytical reverse psychology! ;)

Dawn, didn't yous ee Maria play in person a few years ago? I agree with you that Maria is very eager. But Anna has the experience. And they both battle their nerves. Let's hope it's a good match.

WhatTheDeuce
May 10th, 2003, 12:49 AM
:wavey: DAWN!

i will go with your first prediction...the anna winning one ;)

maccardel
May 10th, 2003, 01:20 AM
I think Anna will win and hopefully she will, we need her amongst the elite players in the top 15. Hopefully Mary Pierce and Alex will join her, then tennis will be back to the way it was with all the drama......lol

Venus Forever
May 10th, 2003, 01:21 AM
Anna in three. :D

tennischick
May 10th, 2003, 03:32 AM
the latest report i read about Anna's match against Rao said that Anna was playing thru pain and had to get her thigh strapped.

which means that this match comes down to Anna's physical (and mental) difficulties against Maria's mental ones.

CJ07
May 10th, 2003, 03:35 AM
good point

the cat
May 10th, 2003, 03:40 AM
TC, Anna's hurt again? :confused: I hope not. Maybe it's just a precaution for her to wear a thigh strap.

kfh_9118
May 10th, 2003, 03:43 AM
Anna :D in two easy sets :)

tennischick
May 10th, 2003, 03:47 AM
TC, Anna's hurt again? :confused: I hope not. Maybe it's just a precaution for her to wear a thigh strap.
i don't think so Cat...

Kournikova plays through pain to reach semifinals

May 9, 2003 Print it

Associated Press

SEA ISLAND, Ga. -- Anna Kournikova overcame an inconsistent performance and pain in her thigh Friday to reach the semifinals of the Cloister Cup.

Kournikova, playing her first competitive tournament since injuring her left abductor muscle April 9, defeated Sunitha Rao in the quarterfinals 6-3, 6-3.

But her thigh, tightly wrapped for the first time all week, gave her problems throughout the match.

"Today was definitely the worst day," said Kournikova, who will face fellow Russian Maria Sharapova in Saturday's semifinals. "It's not doing very well."

Playing her third match in three days, Kournikova was sluggish. She showed her frustration at times, slamming down her racket on one occasion, yelling in Russian in disgust on another. But when she needed to win points, she did.

Kournikova finished the first set with back-to-back aces, then won the final three games of the second set to take the match.

The 16-year-old Sharapova rallied to beat Kristina Brandi, 2-6, 7-5, 6-3.

anton
May 10th, 2003, 03:57 AM
go anna!!

ys
May 10th, 2003, 04:05 AM
This poll is a trademark of General Messages intellect..

To predict that Sharapova will beat Kournikova..

Geez...

Dawn Marie
May 10th, 2003, 05:37 AM
cat, I didn't see her PLAY three years back but I saw her practice. She isa going to be good in my opinion. I must say I've never seen her play tennis. She though seems to have the skillz and mental headset to win and be inside the top ten. Right now she is the inexperienced player and she will battle some nerves. I think she is focused on her game..more so than Anna was at that age.

Anyway I think Anna will win due to experience(hence big points) but won't be surprised if Maria beats her. Maria has skillz as well.

It can go either way. I am rooting for Anna because she needs this match but I won't be hurt if Maria Sharapova wins.:)

hi david;):)

Experimentee
May 10th, 2003, 06:00 AM
I hope Maria wins but it'll tough coz she hasnt been playing that well lately, and almost lost to Brandi, whos gone down so much in the last year. But with Anna sometimes anyone can beat her so maybe it can happen.

SerialKiller#69
May 10th, 2003, 08:39 AM
i'm surprised at the back-to-back aces that anna fired against sunitha rao.

she said that the 3rd round was her worst day, playing through pain but winning the key points. maybe rao didn't make anna move so much that's why she lost. i'm worried with anna not being 100% physically because maria can capitalize on it and probably worsen that injury.

i wouldn't want to see another injury so if she thinks her injury could flare up, i hope she pulls out.

but if she feels okay for the match, i'd say without a doubt, Ms. Kournikova. she has a bad record against russians but i'm sure she wouldn't want to lose to another one again.

kournikova 7-5, 6-2

TatiAnnahølic
May 10th, 2003, 10:45 AM
Anna 6-3 2-6 6-3 :bounce:

gorecki
May 10th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Have a good match gals! :)

the cat
May 10th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the report TC! :D

Thanks for the flash back on seeing Maria practice! :)

LOL @ ys! :p

Maria has overtaken Anna in the poll! :eek: I wonder if Anna's leg injury has something to do with that. I would think so. Anna did a good job beating Rao 6-3 6-3 with a slightly injured leg. Sharapova make alot of unforced errors so if Anna plays a cleaner match than Maria, she should win the match even with some discomfort in her left abductor muscle. I hope Anna doesn't pull out of her match against Maria. It would look bad for her. Especially after she routined Rao. She could still beat Maria even at less than 100% health. But will her dissapointing loss to Dinara Safina in the Nasdaq play a role in decision to pull out or not? Anna might not want to have to go through that again.

WhatTheDeuce
May 10th, 2003, 01:30 PM
This poll is a trademark of General Messages intellect..

To predict that Sharapova will beat Kournikova..

Geez...
as an anna fan, even i wouldn't be too sure that anna will win this match....i mean, this is ANNA KOURNIKOVA we are talking about ;)

Yak
May 10th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Look at Anna heavily strapped leg :eek:

http://www.tsn.ca/images/stories/20030509/anna_80735.jpg

anton
May 10th, 2003, 03:58 PM
what time is the match?

WhatTheDeuce
May 10th, 2003, 03:58 PM
i wish i knew :mad: