PDA

View Full Version : What is the resolution of Germany losing all the tournaments???

rhz
May 9th, 2003, 07:53 AM
well they don't have stars like Graf or Huber anymore. There's no one that the country could be proud of, in the women's game at least. They lost Hamburg, Berlin in danger, lost Munich for season ending. 2 more to go in Filderstadt and Leipzig, but i don't know with the season's ending in the US. I bet WTA going to move some of those indoor tournaments to the US or at least in the same continent..

Why there is no upcoming German players nowadays, why did they fail to organize tournaments? what are the solutions??

ChrisGermany
May 9th, 2003, 10:54 AM
Moving all the fall events to the US is just ridiculous

The whole Berlin discussion is putting pressure on organizers having the event in local (German) TV stations by the sponsors. It will be solved soon as the attendance in Berlin is brilliant with 2,000 spectators on qualifying days and 5,000 on Monday and Tuesday respectively.

So give up your hopes, weīre going to loose either Filderstadt or Berlin. Stuttgart is where PORSCHE is located and itīs the most loved event by the players so this is just ridiculous what youīre saying

Hamburg lost the event due to problematic financial situation of the organizers, German tennis federation, Hannover was sold by private organizer Ion Tiriac for financial reasons and Muncih was moved by organizer WTA for business reasons too - with a desastrous outcome regarding attendance in LA

Hamburg was always a problem due to cold weather in the North this month too, Warsaw and Berlin are in the East of Europe and have better weather conditions. The men playing 2 weeks later have mix of good bad weather too but thatīs not comparable. Tier II in the WTA is not a Tier I on the menīs side.

Besides, thereīs still POTENTIAL in German tennis regarding Marlene in the year-top30 at the moment and weīve a couple of youngsters. You must take away the Wimbledon event due to no British player within the top100 then too :) or the Austrian events for having no playing among the top50 :) same as Australian events for no top40 player :) or the Warsaw event for no player among the top 200 to name just a few

So, give me arguments before you post this. There is nothing in your post stating anything. Itīs a problem if sponsors shout out before an event and the event itself then becomes a success as it multiplyies rumours around the world. Let me assure you itīs a serious discussion YES but itīs just a discussion to give the TV rights to German TV again rather than EUROSPORT only. 2004 Steffi will return for naming the center court after her, so I doubt weīve a problem having the event there then. Eberhard Wensky as the tournament director is one of the most well-known organizers around the world, I doubt this talking will have an effect on this event. Same as Porsche in Filderstadt or Sparkasse in Leipzig, German tennis federation money problems have NOTHING to do with these events, it was a fatal effect for Hamburg as two events werenīt to keep. This has nothing to do with Berlin or Stuttgart.

So keep on dreaming about new indoor events, theyīll for sure remain in Europe-or youīll have to force events in Moscow Zurich Bratislava Linz or Luxemburg moving to. Itīs the "old" tradition splitting the tour between US/Canada and Europe before the season ending event so even Monica Seles can afford to make her points for the top8 now somewhere :) itīs just not that what some guys in the US believes that the tour ends with the US OPEN ;)

We still have some prestigious and loved events here where US players love to come, so why donīt you do and stop talking about German or European tournaments into crisis ? ;)

Monica_Rules
May 9th, 2003, 11:45 AM
Germany lost Hanover aswell

ChrisGermany
May 9th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Monica_rules, do you have glasses ?

I even WROTE about HanNover ! :(

oggie
May 9th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Pipe down ChrisGermany. Not everybody has to read your lengthy message.

ChrisGermany
May 9th, 2003, 02:19 PM
Iīm not angry at all. But if thereīs a choice between writing one-sentence infos without any reality in it and writing an argumentative text, I choose the argumentative one with proofs behind it

saphir1
May 9th, 2003, 06:29 PM
HI ChrisGermany!

I agree to you :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

By the way, I'm thinking very positive about Anna-Lena Grönefeld, I saw her playing in Berlin and I think she has very good chances in the future.

saphir1

niceman
May 9th, 2003, 06:52 PM

The whole Berlin discussion is putting pressure on organizers having the event in local (German) TV stations by the sponsors. It will be solved soon as the attendance in Berlin is brilliant with 2,000 spectators on qualifying days and 5,000 on Monday and Tuesday respectively.

So give up your hopes, weīre going to loose either Filderstadt or Berlin. Stuttgart is where PORSCHE is located and itīs the most loved event by the players so this is just ridiculous what youīre saying

Hamburg lost the event due to problematic financial situation of the organizers, German tennis federation, Hannover was sold by private organizer Ion Tiriac for financial reasons and Muncih was moved by organizer WTA for business reasons too - with a desastrous outcome regarding attendance in LA

Hamburg was always a problem due to cold weather in the North this month too, Warsaw and Berlin are in the East of Europe and have better weather conditions. The men playing 2 weeks later have mix of good bad weather too but thatīs not comparable. Tier II in the WTA is not a Tier I on the menīs side.

Besides, thereīs still POTENTIAL in German tennis regarding Marlene in the year-top30 at the moment and weīve a couple of youngsters. You must take away the Wimbledon event due to no British player within the top100 then too :) or the Austrian events for having no playing among the top50 :) same as Australian events for no top40 player :) or the Warsaw event for no player among the top 200 to name just a few

So, give me arguments before you post this. There is nothing in your post stating anything. Itīs a problem if sponsors shout out before an event and the event itself then becomes a success as it multiplyies rumours around the world. Let me assure you itīs a serious discussion YES but itīs just a discussion to give the TV rights to German TV again rather than EUROSPORT only. 2004 Steffi will return for naming the center court after her, so I doubt weīve a problem having the event there then. Eberhard Wensky as the tournament director is one of the most well-known organizers around the world, I doubt this talking will have an effect on this event. Same as Porsche in Filderstadt or Sparkasse in Leipzig, German tennis federation money problems have NOTHING to do with these events, it was a fatal effect for Hamburg as two events werenīt to keep. This has nothing to do with Berlin or Stuttgart.

So keep on dreaming about new indoor events, theyīll for sure remain in Europe-or youīll have to force events in Moscow Zurich Bratislava Linz or Luxemburg moving to. Itīs the "old" tradition splitting the tour between US/Canada and Europe before the season ending event so even Monica Seles can afford to make her points for the top8 now somewhere :) itīs just not that what some guys in the US believes that the tour ends with the US OPEN ;)

We still have some prestigious and loved events here where US players love to come, so why donīt you do and stop talking about German or European tournaments into crisis ? ;)
nice post.....:)

but here is my suggestion.........
there are quite a few countries in Europe that doesnt have
any tournament at all.........so moving there is one way,

but the other way is trading places.....
that way it's easier to maintain the costs,
and have a sister city to host every other year,
for example, Hamburg can do that with Warsaw, etc......
while increase the prize money to attract more players,
or try co-sponsor, which might involve trading citis too......

i do think there are too many tournaments in Germany though,
like in 2001, the total prize money in German tournament
total about 6 millions dollars.................
while place like China only has a tournament total prize moeny of 140K
no wonder it is too hard to maintain......

Cybelle Darkholme
May 9th, 2003, 07:06 PM
The state of tennis in Germany is called Monica's Revenge...

ChrisGermany
May 9th, 2003, 08:10 PM
A) When will this board stop to condemn a whole country for what happened to Monica ?

B) Can you name me the number of events we have here and why -compared to the growth of the country, this number is too high compared to any other country in Europe and compared to the economic importance of that country

We just have 3 women events left and if you rate this a high number, this is just ridiculous to consider them moving because you want them moved. What the menīs tour has to do with the womenīs tour is far fatched and just another argument to ignore on this board. By the way, we just donīt have too much menīs events either. Halle is the most successful event on the tour the whole year, Hamburg is among the Masters events, Munich is linked with BMW and Stuttgart is/was linked with Mercedes. Can you name an event that isn unnecessary or not well liked by players or public ?

Can people just stop this anti-country-attitude around here ? :)

Cybelle Darkholme
May 9th, 2003, 08:24 PM
A) When will this board stop to condemn a whole country for what happened to Monica ?

B) Can you name me the number of events we have here and why -compared to the growth of the country, this number is too high compared to any other country in Europe and compared to the economic importance of that country

We just have 3 women events left and if you rate this a high number, this is just ridiculous to consider them moving because you want them moved. What the menīs tour has to do with the womenīs tour is far fatched and just another argument to ignore on this board. By the way, we just donīt have too much menīs events either. Halle is the most successful event on the tour the whole year, Hamburg is among the Masters events, Munich is linked with BMW and Stuttgart is/was linked with Mercedes. Can you name an event that isn unnecessary or not well liked by players or public ?

I will answer the first question: when they punish the man who tried to kill her.

ChrisGermany
May 9th, 2003, 09:12 PM
Yeah. And identify the whole country with its legal system. Thank you :( Does the entire world identify the United States with its President starting a war in Iraque ? I donīt think so.

I donīt ignore financial problems in Berlin and once again state that there are talks about the tournament but these are necessary things to discuss in the future. Graf is announced to repeat the exhibition thing which today was a big success in Hamburg (Becker/Stich) and will return 2004 for a MATCH not just an appearance on center court, therefore itīs just idiotic starting a discussion about the situation in Germany as a whole.

Why does the USA not give an event to China when you are so keen on giving them one ? Apart from the current SARS problem, how many events the US has and how many more of them are deserved to get an appropriate comparision to tennis importance in relevant countries ? Do you weigh up the tennis interest of a country or the attendance AT the tournament itself. Or is the number of top20 players relevant for events ?

It would be wise to judge the number of events by the number of players within the top20 maybe at the end of each season and each season make a new schedule only due to the rankings. Then, maybe in 2-3 years, Barna, Weingärtner, Müller or Grönefeld are within the top20 or 30 and then we are allowed to "ask" again to get an event ?!

Itīs just totally unfair starting a country-based decision on that subject

selesfan87
May 9th, 2003, 10:41 PM
Germany has Weingartner. :)

ktwtennis
May 10th, 2003, 12:54 AM
It's not the moved loved tourney by EVERYONE--Seles... ;)

rhz
May 10th, 2003, 12:56 AM

Hey i don't wish WTA going to move those tournaments. I wish Germany can keep them. all i'm saying is why the german tennis federation could not attract more fans/sponsors to keep the tournaments they have where they belong??

starr
May 10th, 2003, 01:00 AM
Yeah... I say that the U.S. could give up several tournaments to China. Let's start with that one in Stanford with the side by side courts. I'm sure China can come up with a better venue.

Cybelle Darkholme
May 10th, 2003, 01:33 AM
why does the usa have to give anything to anyone? why dont these countries start their own tennis touranment? Tennis is an international sport and if some foreign country wants to start a tournament I am sure that nothing is keeping them from doing so. If they have the financial backing Im sure the players will come.

disposablehero
May 10th, 2003, 02:08 AM

A) Never