PDA

View Full Version : Help With Serve

CJ07
May 8th, 2003, 11:11 PM
Hey,

As some of you may remember, I ditched Venus' service motion for Serenas a little while longer....well It didnt last long!

It just feels weird, I'm so used to the old one, and spending hours trying to fix it ;) but anyway, now that Venus is sick I'm determined to get back to it and bang some aces for her untill she recovers, but to do so I really need to get back to basics

Its like I forgot how to hit it, the stance is a little akward and I'm having trouble transitioning from the toss to the extention (which I think most of the problems lie)

Can anyone give me some tips?

BTW

http://just-win.com/womenstennis/1819_williamsv.jpg

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
:worship: :worship: :worship:

Love Ya V!

Dava
May 8th, 2003, 11:12 PM
My serve is bad or a would help you! I went out to practise in my garden it's become so bad, none of them are landing in.

SOMEONE HELP ME TOO!!!!

CJ07
May 8th, 2003, 11:14 PM
YES We Need Help!

vs1
May 8th, 2003, 11:20 PM
OK. My serve is bad but here are some tips my coach has me work on. Maybe it'll help you.

- toss practice. You can do this anywhere. Objective is consistency everytime.

- stay relaxed. this will definitely help with your motion and also provide you with better set-up for maximum racquet head acceleration.

- reach up for the ball after the toss. ideally, you don't want to see that ball dropping. reaching up and getting contact at the right time will allow you better control (and hopefully less dfs!)

- stretching/warm-up. good warm-up and stretch time before you even begin practicing your serves. very important not to injure your shoulder or else it'll lead to all sorts of troubles on the court (and off the court).

- crunches. really helps with building the right muscles so that you are strong enough to hit powerful serves.

- finally...placement. SO important. the toss and staying relaxed will help you with control and placement. often, placement and kick are lethal enough to get you weak returns and help you set up for winners.

Hope your serves improve! Mine certainly need to!!! :p

CJ07
May 8th, 2003, 11:22 PM
Thanks!

Actually, I place the ball fairly well
I dont know how but I do!

And Yes, My Toss Is rediculous, its just because i dont practice it enough i guess

i remember back in the day, when I was preping for the tennis team, i practiced my toss all day long, and i always got it right

oh well i better get started

and i didnt know that about crunches! thanks

vs1
May 8th, 2003, 11:39 PM
Actually, I place the ball fairly well
I dont know how but I do!

And Yes, My Toss Is rediculous, its just because i dont practice it enough i guess

i remember back in the day, when I was preping for the tennis team, i practiced my toss all day long, and i always got it right

and i didnt know that about crunches! thanks

You're lucky you have a natural talent with placement. It's awesome to be able to determine at will where you want the ball to land. I go for the corners or sides and hate it when it just misses the line!

Practice the toss. It's so important to be able to have that reliable toss. Seriously. To know that when you lift your arm up to begin your serve, you can rely on the ball at the same contact point every time. It's a mental edge to have that.

Crunches and squats really help. It builds the right muscles. Crunches because your body rotation is so important in a serve. Also, the squats help strengthen your leg and butt muscles, which you also need for a your serve, but also for those low balls and low volleys. Also...push-ups will help with shoulder rotation strength.

Sometimes you shouldn't think too much on the court.

Good luck!

F-R-E-A-K
May 9th, 2003, 02:43 AM
haha thats really funny... im a competitive junior tennis player in Australia.. Im ranked under the Australian Junior rankings as i do play alot of national Tournaments.... ( around 150). And im only just 16!

Now i have picked up on Serena's serve... My serve has alwways been the weaker part of my game until the last year .. where i have worked on techniques and positioning etc. I now have a similar serve to Serena Williams (And im a MALE). This serve works great for flat but sometimes its a struggle for heavy spin or kick. So i have altered the serve a little bit and now i do from 5-15 aces in 2 or 3 sets. I rarely go over probably 6 or 7 aces a match but there are time i do have a good run of serving and im very pleased!

So just be sure to have Great timing when releasing the ball and coming incontact with it. Release the ball inline with your head and it should b a perfect ball toss. As for technique... there are soo many different styles just keep trying different 1's until you are happy with wat you have.

Serena's serve is Number.

jojoseph
May 9th, 2003, 02:54 AM
just a couple basic things to practice...

Practice all day and night on a consistent ball toss. A lot of people take this for granted, but a consistent ball toss leads to a better serve through improved confidence.

Also, point at the ball when you toss it in the air.

Remember to swing the raquet inside-out, not outside-in.

F-R-E-A-K
May 9th, 2003, 03:11 AM
OR Just study the player you would like to serve like. Watch a few matches of the player and take notes on the technique used.. contact point... stance of server... movement with serve....balltoss... all those types of things.

Players not to copy are: Venus, Anna, Myskina, Martina. These players serves arent technically sound.

Gowza
May 9th, 2003, 03:14 AM
i think molik and stevenson have good techniques if you want to try and copying a player.

Leena
May 9th, 2003, 04:42 AM
Just do a motion that feels good to you... you don't have to copy someone.

You can only improve by practice, practice, practice... the more you think about it, the more you'll struggle. The serve is a very simple motion.

CJ07
May 9th, 2003, 11:40 PM
thanks!

yeah im lucky with that

I'm very good at locating the lines and hitting the serves where i want them...also I can place my slice serve outwide very well, or i used to anyway :o

but while my toss needs work, i think its the follow through that has the most problems, so are there any tricks anyone can teach me?

tyk101
May 10th, 2003, 12:14 AM
I've tried to adopt a Andy Roddick for my first serve.. but my second is like Martina Hingis...

First serve.. my racket head doesn't pass behind my head.. so it's flat..... remember to hit on top of the bounce

Second serve.. it's reliable. top spin.. so racket head passes or touches my neck and hit over the ball.... can be effective but if placement is bad severely punished for a winner

Dava
May 10th, 2003, 12:16 AM
Thanks for all the tips. I thin my problem is my toss, sometimes its very wild, and if I throw it too high, I take my eyes of it too quickly therefore loosing sight of it!

CJ07
May 10th, 2003, 12:23 AM
I think Serena has the best toss ever

its so fluid

seriously watch her toss when she serves as its so consitentant and it stays in the same place

the other problem with my toss is that I never know how far up i should toss it

Dava
May 10th, 2003, 12:24 AM
I think Serena has the best toss ever

its so fluid

seriously watch her toss when she serves as its so consitentant and it stays in the same place

the other problem with my toss is that I never know how far up i should toss it

Me too, I always toss too low, so I know I can see it.

CJ07
May 10th, 2003, 12:27 AM
One think a coach told me was that before you toss, reach up with your racket, point it straight up and throw your toss

the toss should be above the racket

do that several times untill you get a fair idea of where the toss should go

that should work

damn, i should take my own advice ;)

Dava
May 10th, 2003, 12:31 AM
Yeah but when you do it everything changes! I mean I almost hit my serve like I hit smashes.

CJ07
May 10th, 2003, 12:39 AM
hmm well then your extention may be off
thats my problem too

also make sure your right foot (if a righty) is paralel to the court and your other foot is at a 45degree angle, bend your knees and just hit the ball

build it up for there

im going to go try all this out and see what happens, i'll report in a few!

F-R-E-A-K
May 10th, 2003, 03:00 AM
Id say try to do Serena's serve. She has the best serve in the WTA.

CJ07
May 10th, 2003, 03:02 AM
well i didnt get to do any serves (stupid heat!) but i'll try some tommorow!