PDA

View Full Version : Anna Kournikova shags......

Rollo
May 8th, 2003, 01:09 PM
Anna Kournikova shagged her own balls in her first round match yesterday. LOL@ the former "Queen" without linespeople and ball kids.
If the article is correct this bizarre event isn't open to the public. They missed a golden chance to get paying customers!

Here's a pic and article from the local Savannah paper.

Tennis: Kournikova enjoys 'laid-back' Sea Island tournament

Rehab match ends early, but Russian tennis player wows crowd.

By Adam Van Brimmer
vbrimmer@savannahnow.com

SEA ISLAND -- The hormonal masses sitting courtside couldn't hide their disappointment Wednesday afternoon.

One teenage boy told his friends how he'd spied Anna Kournikova warming up for her Cloister Cup first-round match a few minutes earlier. She'd worn a long-sleeved shirt -- gasp from the group -- and had smothered her face with sun block with a SPF of about 1 million _ groan.

Further down the row, 17-year-old Robert Nicholson lamented about the week-long buzz among his Frederica Academy classmates. Ever since the tennis starlet unexpectedly announced she'd play in the USTA Pro Circuit event at the local resort enclave, he'd made friends faster than LeBron James at a shoe convention.

After all, the tournament was closed to the general public. However, because he's a member of the Sea Island Club, Nicholson and any guests were welcome to attend the match.

"All the guys were talking about it, not the girls," said Nicholson with a shake of his head. "As for me, my entire college life depends on exams I have to take the next two days. But I couldn't pass up the chance to see Anna."

The leering lasted approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes. Kournikova outlasted opponent Maria Fernanda Alves, who won the first set and led 4-2 in the second set before a Kournikova rally. The Brazilian left-hander retired three games into the third set because of leg cramps -- more to the dismay of Kournikova's young admirers than their delight.

Teenage boys aside, Kournikova was just another sun-blocked face in a very small crowd as she began a self-imposed rehab stint in pro tennis's bush leagues. She warmed up privately in a public place, forever leaving at least one adolescent male with a mental image of her he'll never see in one of her pinup calendars.

She didn't receive the star treatment once her match began either. She fetched her own balls, was scolded by rule officials for listening to music and text messaging on her cell phone during an injury time-out, and was badgered by a chair umpire she found almost as pesky as the late afternoon sand gnats.

She did get in a competitive match on a clay-court surface that tested a groin injury suffered a month ago at the Family Circle Cup in Charleston, however. She said she detected no pain from the injury and hopes to play her way back into shape in time for the French Open in three weeks.

"Matches like this are what I need to get there," said Kournikova, who plays a second-round match today. "I know when I go out there these girls are going to play me very hard. They have nothing to lose."

For Kournikova, a return to the USTA Pro Circuit brings back winning memories. Before she took her first step toward becoming a cultural icon by reaching the semifinals at Wimbledon in 1997 as a 16-year-old, she won two USTA events.

She hasn't won a professional tournament since, although that hasn't affected her marketability. She's made more money with her looks than her racquet the past six years and more headlines for her relationships with hockey players than her performances on the tennis court.

She maintains she's a tennis player first and an endorser/pinup girl/celebrity muse second, though. That's why she's competing in a little-known tournament with a $3,000 first prize this week.

"It's fun," she said. "I like this place. It's quiet and has a perfect setup. It's very laid-back."

http://www.savannahnow.com/images/050803/full_anna.jpg

tennischick
May 8th, 2003, 01:40 PM
you have to admire her courage. thanks for the funny article Rollo! ;)

Crazy Canuck
May 8th, 2003, 01:49 PM
She fetched her own balls, was scolded by rule officials for listening to music and text messaging on her cell phone during an injury time-out, and was badgered by a chair umpire she found almost as pesky as the late afternoon sand gnats.

Did she really do that (the injury timeout bit)?

TatiAnnahølic
May 8th, 2003, 01:57 PM
lol funny article, thanks :)

apoet29
May 8th, 2003, 02:06 PM
Kudos to Anna for her willingness to do what it takes to get her career back on track. Thanks for the great article Rollo. Did she really text message and listen to music during the injury timeout? Did she really say I'm scared to the chair umpire? Those parts of the article seem surreal to me.

Rocketta
May 8th, 2003, 02:09 PM
well thats two articles that says she said "i'm scared" to the umpire.

Rollo
May 8th, 2003, 02:44 PM
Those parts of the article seem surreal to me.

Sounds like a perfect description Apoet.

What's surreal to me is they're having an event with THE Anna Kournikova and shutting out the public. How dense can they be? It's a $25,000 tournament. If Anna makes the finals they might pay for event if they charged a buck or two. I bet members of that club will be charging their "guests" a lot if Anna goes far here;)

Mercury Rising
May 8th, 2003, 02:52 PM
Is listening to music forbidden? I can't think of a reason why it should be...

decemberlove
May 8th, 2003, 02:53 PM
If the article is correct this bizarre event isn't open to the public. They missed a golden chance to get paying customers!

nah... im sure theyre making money by more guests staying there in order to see anna.

She fetched her own balls, was scolded by rule officials for listening to music and text messaging on her cell phone during an injury time-out, and was badgered by a chair umpire she found almost as pesky as the late afternoon sand gnats.

lol... text messaging... its a fucking epidemic

Bezz
May 8th, 2003, 02:56 PM
Just wondering if Anna's breasts are all natural--its looks like the left breast may have extra padding ;) :p

ajayares
May 8th, 2003, 02:59 PM
Is listening to music forbidden? I can't think of a reason why it should be...

Listening to music isn't, I have seen some players with there headphones on at change of ends.

However if Anna was listening to Enrique's music, then it certianly should be ban now :)

apoet29
May 8th, 2003, 03:03 PM
Listening to music isn't, I have seen some players with there headphones on at change of ends.

However if Anna was listening to Enrique's music, then it certianly should be ban now :)

That's just mean! LOL! :devil: BTW, it is Enrique's b-day today, so I'm sure that Anna is going to be listening to her boyfriend's music today.

knopfler6
May 8th, 2003, 03:28 PM
In one form or the other ;)

katrientje
May 8th, 2003, 04:25 PM
I think she does like the idea of being a bit out of the spotlights...

auntie janie
May 8th, 2003, 04:32 PM
Funny article, but omg, what a horrible photo! :eek:

CoryAnnAvants#1
May 8th, 2003, 04:38 PM
They closed the tournament off to the public for security reasons, not because they're idiots. The stadium only holds about 350 people. That stadium is not built to hold the throngs and throngs of people who would surely line up to watch this. You can only get a ticket on a first come first serve basis if you're a member of the club, member of the media, or a tournament volunteer.

UDiTY
May 8th, 2003, 04:41 PM
That pic is sad!!! :sad:

I am in no way a Anna fan, but it's kinda sad that she is out to prove herself with so many doubting her. I bet the pressure was unbearable. Poor girl......

There was more riding on that match than just amaking it to the second round of a challenger, she had to prove herself.

TatiAnnahølic
May 8th, 2003, 04:42 PM
That pic is sad!!! :sad:

why? :confused:

Leena
May 8th, 2003, 04:43 PM
"It's fun," she said. "I like this place. It's quiet and has a perfect setup. It's very laid-back."

Just how you like it, Anna...

MarcusRock
May 8th, 2003, 04:50 PM
Just wondering if Anna's breasts are all natural--its looks like the left breast may have extra padding ;) :pBezza = http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/marcusrock/Pervert.gif

Hulet
May 8th, 2003, 05:20 PM
FYI: The message in the third set was from me letting her know that she doesn't have to try as hard now since Alves coach has already recieved the money and Maria will retire soon... j/k

decemberlove
May 8th, 2003, 05:46 PM
what is so sad about that pic?

apoet29
May 8th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Does anyone else find the title of this thread rather naughty?

UDiTY
May 8th, 2003, 06:00 PM
what is so sad about that pic?

I dunno, she just looks like she really doesn't want to lose...more than she wants to win. Like she's in a tough match and she's afraid of what will happen if she would lose....I just kinda feel bad for her. :sad:

Poor girl...she wasn't just trying to get into the second round of a challenger, she was out to prove herself.

chiara_ridolfi
May 8th, 2003, 06:06 PM
I don't know if there are specific rules about listening to music during a match, but I do remember that after that Wimbledon match where Barry Cowan *almost* beat Sampras, he was told he wouldn't be allowed to use his walkman during matches anymore bcaause the umpire had no way of knowing what he was listening to: it could be his coach, and coaching is already banned, of course. I would think the same goes for text messaging.

jenny161185
May 8th, 2003, 06:29 PM
I wonder how she'll get in today Its good though that she rallied her way from defeat im proud of her :worship:

decemberlove
May 8th, 2003, 06:33 PM
I dunno, she just looks like she really doesn't want to lose...more than she wants to win. Like she's in a tough match and she's afraid of what will happen if she would lose....I just kinda feel bad for her. :sad:

Poor girl...she wasn't just trying to get into the second round of a challenger, she was out to prove herself.

nah thats just a normal anna face :)

Rocketta
May 8th, 2003, 07:09 PM
Just wondering if Anna's breasts are all natural--its looks like the left breast may have extra padding ;) :p

Your telling me this is the first time you realized she wears a padded bra? Wow I thought everyone knew?

Dawn Marie
May 8th, 2003, 07:18 PM
Anna gets praise and Alex got damned. Go figure.:)

apoet29
May 8th, 2003, 07:21 PM
[ The Atlanta Journal-Constitution: 5/08/03]

Tennis beauty comes to the little island

Sea Island -- Members of the Glynn Academy high school tennis team made the crossing from Brunswick just in time Wednesday. Front-row-center bleacher seats to a fantasy were theirs for the taking.

Odd, only the male members of the team were lined up down front, so close they could dig their sandaled toes into the same green clay that Anna Kournikova -- the face that launched a thousand Web sites -- would make her stage.

Sixteen-year-old Scott Risi has a poster of Kournikova hanging on his bedroom wall over on St. Simons Island. But this was going to be way better.

"We're here to check out her strokes," Risi said with a sly smile.

"Yeah, we're definitely here because of her skill level," agreed a friend, Bill Morgan, practicing his own smirk for later adult use.

Then, through a break in the fence at Court 12 of the Cloister Tennis Center, Kournikova appeared, announced on the front row with that timeless command: "Dude, take the picture!"

Kournikova seldom has done much to bring out the tennis purist in anyone, just as she has remarkably little trouble luring out the adolescent that hides in the male of all ages. Here was a show that may have been a little tame for Mike Price, but he probably would have gotten something out of it nonetheless.

Down in the minors for a rehab assignment, in essence, Kournikova is playing in something called the Cloister Cup, a USTA Pro Circuit event. First place pays $3,000. The bleachers on the "main" court accommodate only 400 spectators. Admission is limited to guests of the Cloisters Hotel and members of the tennis club.

Not exactly a stroll down the glamorous runway of big-time women's tennis.

"It's still a little circus. We can't go anyplace without that," Kournikova said in that diva way of hers.

And if she missed the bright lights and adoring masses, Kournikova did not betray it. "This is fun. I love the place. This is exactly what I need right now," she said.

No. 1 in the hearts of oglers, No. 67 in the world rankings, Kournikova is recovering from a leg injury suffered last month in Charleston, S.C. She explained she didn't want to go play with the big girls in Europe because she needed match experience and wanted to be closer to home should the injury require further treatment.

Thus did the big star come to the little island. This ain't Monte Carlo, but her playing status is such that Kournikova is only the No. 2 seed in this humble event, with no guarantee of making it through to Sunday's final.

"This is what it's going to take for me," she said, putting on her serious tennis face. "I want to get in as many matches as I can get. If not, I'll go back to practice and work hard."

The tennis Wednesday was ordinary. It would have been much easier for Kournikova to be at a photo shoot than to be across the net from the world's No. 258th-ranked player, 20-year-old Marie Fernanda Alves of Brazil. It took her nearly 2 1/2 hours to outlast Alves 4-6, 6-4, 3-0 (retired because of leg cramps) in their first-round match.

"These girls are so hungry. They are going to fight for every point. They have nothing to lose," said Kournikova, whose rust showed even through the zinc oxide she wore like war paint.

The Kournikova-ness, however, was high. The many facets of a personality much larger than a talent were on full display.

There was the pouty Kournikova. The distracted Kournikova. The determined Kournikova, toughing out a key four-deuce ninth game in the second set to go up 5-4. Even the dirty Kournikova, who in the heat of contest wondered out loud why she couldn't get "one bleeping call, that's all." (Girl has quite a temper, doesn't she? :devil: )

She brought it all with her to the fringes of professional tennis, along with a nice little blue outfit that refused to quite cover her midriff. If her belly button wanted to come out and play, who were we to argue?

The Kournikova Comeback must be staged on many fronts. There's this tennis thing, which has yet to produce a meaningful professional singles title. That may never be complete. Then, there's this shocker: In a recent ESPN poll, Kournikova was upset by former Arizona softball pitcher Jennie Finch for the politically incorrect title of "Hottest Female Athlete."

"You're kidding. I can't believe that. They must have been crazy," said young Mr. Risi, holding fast to a vision made flesh this day.

the cat
May 8th, 2003, 08:46 PM
Oh Rollo! :o

Oh Knop! :o

Oh Janie! :o That is an action photo.

And Oh Leena! :eek: :o

Mark43
May 8th, 2003, 09:18 PM
well thats two articles that says she said "i'm scared" to the umpire.

Where in the article did she say she was 'scared'?

WhatTheDeuce
May 8th, 2003, 10:20 PM
lol it was funny to read....an umpire threatened anna of delay of game penalty and she sarcastically said "i'm scared."

lol and she also rolled her eyes at the lines people many times LOL!

anna, you are hilarious!

NOW KEEP WINNING :bounce:

Rocketta
May 8th, 2003, 10:47 PM

hmm, I'm sure I read that in two articles??? but maybe not but like MonicAnna said it was in another article that she said, "i'm scared" to an umpire reprimand.

SerialKiller#69
May 9th, 2003, 12:38 PM
oh okay. i thought she was scared to game. much more like she was being sarcastic. :) that's what i want to believe anyways.