PDA

View Full Version : Kournikova wins

ptkten
May 7th, 2003, 10:16 PM
Anna won, Alves pulled out because of cramps.

Congrats Anna, good luck in the next round, too bad it had to end this way

Bezz
May 7th, 2003, 10:18 PM
ok this is good news-i think, i kinda psyched my self up for her to lose , i am in shock

GO ANNA GO ANNA!!!

Bezz
what was the score?

Sofiane
Thanks God.

Dava
May 7th, 2003, 10:20 PM
Who cares what the score is Anna won, and she faught back, she kept all the thoughts that must have plagued her away and won.

I am proud of her, I just hope she continues, with this gift she has been given!

ptkten
I'm not sure :confused:

He didn't say, he just said that she pulled out due to cramps

F-R-E-A-K
Score?

Cariaoke
May 7th, 2003, 10:22 PM
she'll have to win the whole thing for me to be convinced but what was the score. I'm glad she won cuz it would have been the end.

Bezz
May 7th, 2003, 10:22 PM
if anna wins this tourney what does that mean for the rest of the year for her. I know she wil play the GS but will she play more challengers?, go to tier 3's and 4's? or just think 'i have won' and go play back at the top of the game?. I think she should stick to lower tournies for now.

CoryAnnAvants#1
May 7th, 2003, 10:24 PM
lol is this the only way she can win matches nowadays. Volekova will eat that girl for lunch unless Anna picks it up.

BTW, the score was 4-6 6-4 ret.

faboozadoo15
May 7th, 2003, 10:25 PM
go anna! it's too bad she didnt have to get the feeling of playing and winning a matchpoint, but she fough and that's what counts. i think she should not be playing challengers but more tier 2's and 3's and stay away from tier 1's until she is ready. PLAY THE SLAMS THOUGH.

GoDominique
May 7th, 2003, 10:26 PM
Oh, cramps ... so that was the reason for Anna winning the 2nd set, I was really wondering how that was possible. ;)

Congrats Anna LOL.

Yak
May 7th, 2003, 10:27 PM
She would have steamroled in the third anyway, so...

GoDominique
May 7th, 2003, 10:30 PM
She would have steamroled in the third anyway, so...
Definitely.

apoet29
May 7th, 2003, 10:31 PM
A win's a win. At this point, any win is a good thing. Who does she play next?

Leena
May 7th, 2003, 10:32 PM
Oh that Anna, what a fighter!

She manages to lose a set, and win a set over a cramped player ranked in the 200's.

ANNA WILL WIN ROLAND GARROS! SHE IS SO INSPIRATIONAL!

UDiTY
May 7th, 2003, 10:34 PM
Yeah, glad she toughed it out against a player ranked what???

Let's hope the next few players she plays will withdraw too!! Then she might even win the title!! :p

Bezz
well, what has lena done lately???? or ever for that matter!!

Yak

She manages to lose a set, and win a set over a cramped player ranked in the 200's.

If you have nothing intelligent to say, just stop being a fucker and go away.

GoDominique
May 7th, 2003, 10:35 PM
A win's a win. At this point, any win is a good thing. Who does she play next?
This "win" is completely useless if she loses in the next round.

UDiTY
May 7th, 2003, 10:36 PM
I just don't see why you guys are getting all into this. She can barely win matches in a challenger.

When she starts paying good tennis again, that's when I'll start to care.

F-R-E-A-K
May 7th, 2003, 10:37 PM
ATLEAST BOVINA HAS WON TITLES! AND IS CURRENTLY TOP 20.

Bovina all they way!

Leena
May 7th, 2003, 10:40 PM
ATLEAST BOVINA HAS WON TITLES! AND IS CURRENTLY TOP 20.

Bovina all they way!
What he said.

WtaTour4Ever
May 7th, 2003, 10:41 PM
Leena Leena Leena :-)

Anyway Congrats Anna....I was concerned....b/c had she lost in the first round well .....I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Hopefully the nerves are gone and she will come out firing tomorrow....she has got to get to the finals of this tourny.

Leena
May 7th, 2003, 10:41 PM
If you have nothing intelligent to say, just stop being a fucker and go away.
Like constant yapping over a player struggling in a fucking challenger, simply because you think she's "hot", is intelligent conversation.

ptkten
May 7th, 2003, 10:45 PM
I'm sorry but not every tennis player can be ranked in the top 20. I hate how some people act like it's awful for someone to be in the top 100 in their profession.

On a side note, I'd much rather have Anna's tennis career than Bovina's. Grand slam SF, High rank of 8 and Grand slam doubles titles.

jojoseph
May 7th, 2003, 10:47 PM

are you really that jealous or are you just doing a good job of faking it?

Leena
May 7th, 2003, 10:59 PM
I'm sorry but not every tennis player can be ranked in the top 20. I hate how some people act like it's awful for someone to be in the top 100 in their profession.

On a side note, I'd much rather have Anna's tennis career than Bovina's. Grand slam SF, High rank of 8 and Grand slam doubles titles.
You're right... Anna's career is definitely better than Lena's so far. She has the talent to be infinitely better than she is now.

I'm not jealous of Anna at all. She's a cancer to tennis because most people care about her, and quite frankly, she's been nothing but a loser for the past 2 years... and I'm not getting into an argument about how she's always injured, she practices all the time... I don't buy it. Either put the effort in and play to your ability, or get out of tennis and leave the just rewards to the players who deserve it.

UDiTY
May 7th, 2003, 11:01 PM
Either put the effort in and play to your ability, or get out of tennis and leave the just rewards to the players who deserve it.

Wow, sadly I do agree with that......

Bezz
May 7th, 2003, 11:02 PM
The thing is no one on the WTA is as good-looking as Anna so those just rewards wont be going to anyone- so Anna should stick around and lap them up.

le-plus-beau
May 7th, 2003, 11:08 PM
Great Fight Nanda!!!

Boa Sorte Em Charlotesville.

spencercarlos
May 7th, 2003, 11:11 PM
I would not celebrate too much, yes she won, oh how great, look at her oponnent, Anna won because the other player cramped. Honestly we can see where Anna and her tennis level are...

Yes, there is always a starting/turnaround point i hope this could be, but definetly a win like this, in the round one of a challenger simply is too poor, for a player who once was top 10.

ptkten
May 7th, 2003, 11:16 PM
um...if she wins then she deserves the rewards and if she loses then she gets nothing...so she can get out of playing tennis when she wants to get out, she's not stopping anyone from doing what they're capable of

mboyle
May 7th, 2003, 11:24 PM

touche! Way too funny! :o

vogus
May 7th, 2003, 11:34 PM
AMEN :worship: to Leena's last post.

"I'm not jealous of Anna at all. She's a cancer to tennis because most people care about her, and quite frankly, she's been nothing but a loser for the past 2 years... and I'm not getting into an argument about how she's always injured, she practices all the time... I don't buy it. Either put the effort in and play to your ability, or get out of tennis and leave the just rewards to the players who deserve it." Leena

Bezza is full of shit bcuz Anna's not even in the Top 10 of hottest tennis babes anymore. Get with the times, Baby! :p

We're not jealous of Anna, in fact the opposite, we'd feel sorry for her, except that she's got 75 million dollars in the bank.

Mikey
May 7th, 2003, 11:47 PM
Leena sums it up bluntly but absolutely correctly :D

Mikey
May 7th, 2003, 11:48 PM
The thing is no one on the WTA is as good-looking as Anna so those just rewards wont be going to anyone- so Anna should stick around and lap them up.
Well that's flattering of you.

Way to undermine the whole "We believe in Anna's ability as a tennis player" thing :rolleyes: You're the first Anna fan to actually admit that she's only popular in your opinion because of her looks - well done :D

GBFH
May 7th, 2003, 11:51 PM
You're right... Anna's career is definitely better than Lena's so far. She has the talent to be infinitely better than she is now.

I'm not jealous of Anna at all. She's a cancer to tennis because most people care about her, and quite frankly, she's been nothing but a loser for the past 2 years... and I'm not getting into an argument about how she's always injured, she practices all the time... I don't buy it. Either put the effort in and play to your ability, or get out of tennis and leave the just rewards to the players who deserve it.

From Anna's current form, I'd say the other players are getting their just rewards.

And what is Anna taking away from these other deserving players? A wild-card between her various injuries? That hardly seems grevious.

ys
May 7th, 2003, 11:57 PM
Anna's record since AO - 0:3, and the girl gets injured every match.. And Anna is on the right track and will be going up..

Bovina's record since AO - 3:5, with no injuries or excuses, and that's a record of someone who is currently Top 20. Bovina wasted the golden chance to get into Top 10 this year, and now she will have to start it again..

Mikey
May 8th, 2003, 12:01 AM
I think that the whole "rewards" thing is not being understood.

I doubt Leena meant in terms of winning matches, but I would assume that she meant recognition. IMO, she doesn't deserve the praise that she receives from everyone, even though "unknown" players are better than she is. And if Leena didn't mean that, then I do.

decemberlove
May 8th, 2003, 12:06 AM
From Anna's current form, I'd say the other players are getting their just rewards.

And what is Anna taking away from these other deserving players? A wild-card between her various injuries? That hardly seems grevious.

exactly.. she doesnt take anything away from anyone. thats the only argument people can use just cos their favorite doesn't have the star status that anna has.

people whine and bitch about how anna is popular for just her looks, but the reason people noticed her is cos of her play when she was younger. in this world looks matter... get the fuck over it cos your whining isn't gonna change a thing.

WhatTheDeuce
May 8th, 2003, 12:11 AM
lmao ok mikey, all these "unknown" players are "better" than anna...ya, uh hu...SURE

and as for anna's performance...pathetic...i hope she wakes up...a win is a win though...

ys
May 8th, 2003, 12:20 AM
I would not call it actually "pathetic"..

We don't know what Anna's mindset was there..

I could think that probably she let get herself convinced that she should play an event like that.Still, she could come out today thinking that she would kill the opposition.. And someone ranked 200+ could be as good as , say, Duchevina or Fokina ( who beat Anna before ).

The first match after a long break is always tough, no matter who you play.

GBFH
May 8th, 2003, 01:39 AM
exactly.. she doesnt take anything away from anyone. thats the only argument people can use just cos their favorite doesn't have the star status that anna has.

people whine and bitch about how anna is popular for just her looks, but the reason people noticed her is cos of her play when she was younger. in this world looks matter... get the fuck over it cos your whining isn't gonna change a thing.

Martina Navratilova put it best, "Anna isn't taking anything away from the other players. Those endorsement dollars aren't there for anyone else."

I understand Leena's aggrivation with Anna...but I don't see why she thinks Anna's popularity is detrimental to Bovinas'.

ys
May 8th, 2003, 01:43 AM
I understand Leena's aggrivation with Anna...but I don't see why she thinks Anna's popularity is detrimental to Bovinas'.

Nothing.. She is just annoyed.. That Anna wins some matches at the very time when Elena getting kicked off from the Top 20..

GBFH
May 8th, 2003, 01:44 AM
I think that the whole "rewards" thing is not being understood.

I doubt Leena meant in terms of winning matches, but I would assume that she meant recognition. IMO, she doesn't deserve the praise that she receives from everyone, even though "unknown" players are better than she is. And if Leena didn't mean that, then I do.

I know what Leena meant by rewards. And it's not as though all of Annas' attention is positive, ya know. I'd rather be praised for my great match play, even if it's sparing, than be constantly ridiculed by the media.

Bovina has her admirers here, and I doubt you or Leena would want so-called idiotic Kournikova fans to spoil the Bovina cheering threads. And if Bovina is "unknown", that is not Annas' fault. Blame the WTA, and Elenas' management, for not promoting her properly.

jojoseph
May 8th, 2003, 02:18 AM

umm...no. A person that simply just thinks that anna is an underachiever and isn't playing up to her ability would not be making sarcastic remarks about her and her fans. It would just be something that the said person is dissappointed with.

Hell, just in case people missed it, here's an excerpt from what you just read...

She's a cancer to tennis because most people care about her.

You can't bullsh*t a bullsh*tter.

Leena
May 8th, 2003, 02:43 AM
Nothing.. She is just annoyed.. That Anna wins some matches at the very time when Elena getting kicked off from the Top 20..
1) Anna "won" 1 match... if you call it that.

2) Lena is still at #20 unless Anna P or Vera wins a couple more rounds. :)

ys
May 8th, 2003, 02:45 AM
1) Anna "won" 1 match... if you call it that.

2) Lena is still at #20 unless Anna P or Vera wins a couple more rounds. :)

We are at just the beginning of both..

kournikovafan13
May 8th, 2003, 02:46 AM
Oh Leena let us celebrate - it's not a thing we get to do very often :p

But seriously, I'm glad this match over and done with, because for a second there it was becoming a little sad. Give me a few easy matches, Anna. :)

Leena
May 8th, 2003, 02:47 AM
How dare you call yourself a Russian fan and not believe in Ms. Bovina like that? :sad:

Well... even if she sucks... she has nothing to defend until New Haven. :)

Leena
May 8th, 2003, 02:48 AM
Give me a few easy matches, Anna.

GBFH
May 8th, 2003, 02:48 AM
Anna isn't a cancer to tennis.
If she were the only star, then yes, you could say that about her. But I think the play of V/S and the Belgains more than balances out any negative effects Anna has. And to think, partly from her financial success, there's been a huge explosion of Russian talent coming into women's (and possibly men's) tennis.

Fingon
May 8th, 2003, 03:24 AM
First of all, I don't know what Elena Bovina's success of lack thereof has to do with Anna, they are both Russian.

Or does it mean that you can only criticize a player if your favourite does better :rolleyes:

anyways, I used to like Anna a lot, not for her looks (she is way overrated in that department in my opinion, and I've seen her in person), but for her game.

She is very talented, and very athletic.

However, I lost hope long time ago. I can't believe that a player that has been in a Grand Slam semifinal, has been top 10, has to "fight" her nerves in a 25 K challenger against a player she has probably never heard of before.

I can't believe how someone can be so weak, part of being a champion is thinking as a champion, and Anna simply doesn't have that, she is too weak, too much of a baby, she's never grown up. She is completely unable to fight, she is too used to have everything easy, everything given to her.

She is injured every other match, I don't know if the injuries are real or not, but either she is faking them (which shows how weak her personality and will is) or her body is falling apart. She is only 21, so at least she had an injury that never healed I can't understand it. It does look to me like she is trying to avoid being on court, I might be wrong, I don't know but if the injuries are real and keep coming this way, I think she should seriously reconsider her career. There is no point if she gets injured, is away 3 months, then she is slow to recover from injury and when she is gaining some form gets injured again.

Anna may have the desire to succeed, but she doesn't have the will power, and I can only pity someone so weak.

jenglisbe
May 8th, 2003, 03:25 AM
The score reported earlier was wrong. Here is the Reuters article:
Kournikova wins in Cloister Cup

May 8, 2003
SEA ISLAND, Ga. (AP) -- Anna Kournikova began preparations for the French Open and put her injured side to a test in a first-round victory Wednesday in the Cloister Cup.

Kournikova, recovering from a tear in her left abductor muscle April 9 at the Family Circle Cup in Charleston, S.C., beat Maria Fernanda Alves 4-6, 6-4, 3-0. Alves retired after injuring her left thigh in the third set.

``It's not the best match I've played,'' said Kournikova, who needs the work to get set for the French open later this month. ``That's why I'm here. I need to play as many matches as I can.''

Kournikova was rusty from the monthlong layoff. She double-faulted seven times and survived a lackluster performance to advance to Thursday's second round, against Gabriela Volekova.

Down 4-1 in the first set, Kournikova battled back to within 5-4, but lost the next game in deuce to drop the first set. Kournikova lost the first two games of the second set, then rallied to tie it at 4-4 before winning the final two games.

She took the first three games of the third set with ease, as Alves tried to play through her injury.

Kournikova argued several line calls. Given a warning for delay of game after going up 5-4 in the second set, she responded by saying, ``I'm scared.''

Another time, she rolled her eyes at a call, and several times voiced her displeasure with officials rulings.
--------------
The next to last paragraph is interesting. It pisses me off when people say Anna doesn't practice or work on her game. That's crap! People like Monica Seles, Tracy Austin, Pam Shriver, and Lindsay Davenport have remarked on how hard Anna works. The reason she doesn't win is her mind. She really needs to see a sports psychologist.

anton
May 8th, 2003, 03:34 AM
hey leena!

go anna!! :wavey:

SerialKiller#69
May 8th, 2003, 04:04 AM
reading the article above, i found one thing that makes me worry the most:Kournikova argued several line calls. Given a warning for delay of game after going up 5-4 in the second set, she responded by saying, ``I'm scared.''

She's so close to being miserable.

Congrats for the win, girl. Do it for yourself.

Lelu
May 8th, 2003, 04:08 AM
Fingon, how did you read my thoughts?

tennisIlove09
May 8th, 2003, 05:51 AM
Just to clear something up:

Kournikova was leading 4-6 6-4 3-0 when the girl retired

F-R-E-A-K
May 8th, 2003, 06:15 AM
Oh give it up ppl and just admit Anna struggles to win a match on any day in the last 2years. Shes only surviving in the tour on her looks. She is a FAKER!!

GO BOVINA!!!!! ALL THE WAY!!!!! BOVINA 2 #1.

Dava
May 8th, 2003, 06:17 AM
AGHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Stop fighting over this a win is a win regradless of the scoreline or the opponent, she just needs to concentrate better next time.

anton
May 8th, 2003, 06:18 AM
a win is a win. go anna!!

F-R-E-A-K
May 8th, 2003, 06:20 AM
Go Leena!!

anton
May 8th, 2003, 06:21 AM
go leena!

F-R-E-A-K
May 8th, 2003, 06:25 AM
Go leena!

sbmh
May 8th, 2003, 10:27 AM
Congrats Anna !
Keep going and good luck this week !
:)

Andre@
May 8th, 2003, 10:43 AM
She won because the brazilian girl NANDA ALVES was sofrering with cramps on her right arm and her legs when she was leading 4/2 on the second.

F-R-E-A-K
May 8th, 2003, 11:04 AM
Yeah trust Anna to win a match against an injured Satellite player! GO BOVINA!

WhatTheDeuce
May 8th, 2003, 11:36 AM
this is so stupid, you all sound like idiots...

oh bovina is better! anna can win! no she cant win! BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!!

:rolleyes:

Experimentee
May 8th, 2003, 02:03 PM
Wow so many Anna fans getting excited because a player ranked 258 retired with cramps :rolleyes: What a great achievement.
Seriously, if i was an Anna fan I'd be worried, but you all act like everything she does is perfect.

WhatTheDeuce
May 8th, 2003, 10:56 PM
Wow so many Anna fans getting excited because a player ranked 258 retired with cramps :rolleyes: What a great achievement.
Seriously, if i was an Anna fan I'd be worried, but you all act like everything she does is perfect.
omg :rolleyes: u think we arent worried??? of course we are...but i think it's a good sign that she WON...i mean, at least she didnt LOSE :)

jojoseph
May 9th, 2003, 01:49 AM

hmm...well, it's either that or don't care at all that she won.

But that would be pretty retarded.