PDA

View Full Version : Williams says his daughters can beat anyone

tennisIlove09
May 7th, 2003, 08:16 PM
Williams says his daughters can beat anyone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

After being relatively quiet for months now, Richard Williams is out there confusing things again.

In an interview with the French magazine L'Equipe on Saturday, Williams blasted the tennis world for racism, claimed no one will ever defeat his daughters all while saying he thought his daughters should take some time off from tennis.

It's a strange thing for a man to say whose daughter Serena could have won the Grand Slam last season if not for rolling an ankle right before the Australian Open. This year, a healthy Serena won the year's first Slam to become the holder of all four titles and giving her a chance to chase the Grand Slam this season. Meanwhile, older daughter Venus has reached the past four Grand Slam finals finishing as runner-up.

But in the interview Williams addressed critics who say that his daughters appearing in every final is making tennis boring.

"So women's tennis is getting boring. And you know why? Because two lovely black women dominate it.

"They're better than the white girls and that's intolerable. It's downgrading, lamentable," he said.

Williams said his daughters were the victims of racist prejudice from within the tennis world.

"They're disturbed by our being there. They've tried everything they could to tame us, to recuperate us and when they couldn't, they said I was a mad man."

Richard Williams was quoted as saying he believes racism is rife in women's tennis, and within the Women's Tennis Association.

"I asked the WTA, 'Does racism still exist with you?'," he said in the interview. "They told me no. They're taking me for an idiot."

Williams also said he will never salute the flag because of racism in America.

"It has no meaning for me," he said.

According to Williams, his daughters are talented enough to take a break from tennis and still dominate upon their return.

"I would like them to stop playing today, for Serena to study and for Venus to launch herself into business," Williams said.

The father said he is unimpressed with the level of competition on the women's circuit and in the junior ranks.

"If I was in their place, I would take a break for one or two years," Williams said. "I would do some sailing, some ice skating, and I would come back unranked, just so I could become No. 1 within five or six months."

But he also said that nothing can stop the Williams family.

"We'll always be around," he said. "There are tournaments we're going to skip but we'll play and win all the Grand Slams," he said.

"In the six or seven years to come, we won't leave anything to anybody, or only by pure chance."

He said Serena and Venus were first accused of being arrogant and were now facing more criticism and insinuations.

"Have you never heard people say: 'They're physically too strong not to have taken doping?'

"Now it's a new story. They say: 'The Williams sisters dominate tennis so much they're going to kill the show, to kill tennis.'

"And I say to all the old white guys, 'why don't you leave the stands?'," he said.

Williams added that his daughters were dominating the game because they had stolen the best shots from their rivals.

"The whites have always said that black people were robbers. My daughters are robbers. They're going to rob you of your best shot and make it our best shot.

"My daughters are the best two robbers in the world," he said.

Information from Reuters and The Associated Press was used in this report.

Dava
May 7th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Argh Richard :rolleyes:

Well I agree the sisters can beat anyone, but some of what he says? I dont get this guy, even his ex-wife says he lives in a dream world.

Lisbeth
May 7th, 2003, 10:42 PM
Well, it's pretty clear that they can beat anybody! Saying they can never be beaten is a bit different but when did a bit of exaggeration ever hurt Richard?

Jarrett
May 7th, 2003, 10:50 PM
No one will ever beat them? What they are undefeated or something?

"If I was in their place, I would take a break for one or two years," Williams said. "I would do some sailing, some ice skating, and I would come back unranked, just so I could become No. 1 within five or six months."

Uh yeah. I am glad Venus or Serena don't take after their father in their interviews.

Philbo
May 7th, 2003, 11:16 PM
More crap from the King of crap, I wonder if Oracene left him cuz she was racist??

TonyP
May 7th, 2003, 11:59 PM
Venus and Serena have an obligation to either stand up and endorse these charges of racism or deny them. Richard says racism is directed at them. What do they say?

If they agree, they need to say so and to be specific. Give names, dates, places and specific instances of racism. If they don't agree, Venus and Serena need to have the courage to refute these insulting charges.

And guess what, saying tennis is boring right now is not racism. Almost any period of domination of any sport is considered boring by many people. Formula One wound up changing the rules this year because Michael Schumacher won everything last year and lots of people got bored. They said so, openly.

Schumacher didn't immediately whine about racism.

Right now, if there is anyone connected to tennis who is clearly a racist, it is Richard Williams himself.

ys
May 8th, 2003, 12:02 AM
Beat anyone? From what I've heard, each of them was crushed in their last matches..

selesrules
May 8th, 2003, 12:04 AM
Richard Williams is the BIGGEST RACIST in tennis. Venus & Serena are loved and admired everywhere. Also all no.1 players have been criticized, when Steffi was dominating people said it was boring, the same for Hingis or Seles. It's not something new. Richard Williams is full of racism towards white people, it's SAD. The way he talks, it makes it seem as if when he sees a white person he wants to kill them. GET A LIFE RICHARD. YOU ARE THE RACIST, NOT THE TOUR. I feel sorry for Venus & Serena because they are affected negatively with all their father's bullshit.

Sam L
May 8th, 2003, 12:08 AM
Just so y'all know I'm not even reading these articles. But was wondering is he really talking all this BS lately or is it just the work of the journalists blowing things out of proportions? :confused:

Cause I mean if he is, he desperately needs some attention. :eek:

ys
May 8th, 2003, 12:25 AM
Besides, remember, with all his eccentrics, this man is not an idiot. This man is genius. He predicted that his daughters will be #1 and #2 and will be winning everything. Everyone laughed at him back then, but he got the last laugh.

I could think that he sees what is going on, that his daughters are on the brink of losing motivation, and their opponents are good and motivated as never before. I think, ahead of many of us, he sees the distinct possiblity that the era of Williams dominance at WTA is soon to be over.And an interview like that is his reaction for that.

Lelu
May 8th, 2003, 12:27 AM
Richard at his best... again ;)

Lisbeth
May 8th, 2003, 12:29 AM
Just for the record, I don't agree that Venus and Serena have an obligation to do anything in relation to his comments - they didn't make them so they don't have to defend or deny them.

Richard does seem to be on a roll though. My personal, completely unsubstantuated theory is that he's jealous at the amount of positive publicity the lovely Ms Price has been getting lately!

gladysharon
May 8th, 2003, 12:37 AM
I could think that he sees what is going on, that his daughters are on the brink of losing motivation, and their opponents are good and motivated as never before. I think, ahead of many of us, he sees the distinct possiblity that the era of Williams dominance at WTA is soon to be over.And an interview like that is his reaction for that.

Good analysis ys.

PhoenixStorm
May 8th, 2003, 01:23 AM
Besides, remember, with all his eccentrics, this man is not an idiot. This man is genius. He predicted that his daughters will be #1 and #2 and will be winning everything. Everyone laughed at him back then, but he got the last laugh.

right and thats why every grand slam is on serena williams mantle because the domination is over? Serena and venus are young and they will be around for awhile if they want. Sure everyone is getting better but so are they. Will they win everything? Well no one wins everything so no. Steffi didn't win every slam she played and neither did monica, or mantina nav or chris everett and they faced competition that was much weaker than todays players.

richard is being richard. If you can't see through his crap mores the pity for you. He has your attention and thats just what he wants.

treufreund
May 8th, 2003, 01:42 AM
Richard :hearts: :rolleyes: :fiery:

Yes, I love him, I ridicule him, I despise him. He is a colorful character who should not be taken too seriously.

Havok
May 8th, 2003, 01:48 AM
:rolleyes: i'm not even gonna say anything :rolleyes:

SM
May 8th, 2003, 12:41 PM
hes totally nuts! definately racist! and hes 'downgrading' the womens game with comments like ..."If I was in their place, I would take a break for one or two years," Williams said. "I would do some sailing, some ice skating, and I would come back unranked, just so I could become No. 1 within five or six months."

maccardel
May 8th, 2003, 02:00 PM
How many times is this article going to be recycled into different headlines and beg for attention. If I remember correctly, the article was posted over the weekend and then everyone responded. Now the article returns with a headline that is sure to have people up in arms again. How many times are we gonna see the same thing over and over again?

It's like once Richard opened his mouth, then everyone is happy cos it gives people something to say and there's is nothing else to talk about but richard is racist or richard is living in a dream world....

It's been said over and over again. What are we supposed to say in regards to him.

Infiniti2001
May 8th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Exactly maccardel .. Meanwhile Venus and Serena have no obligation to satisfy anyone's curiosity.. Anyone who believes that they will say anything negative about their dad is desperately clinging to a shred of delusion. waaaaaaaaaa

maccardel
May 8th, 2003, 02:16 PM
Exactly maccardel .. Meanwhile Venus and Serena have no obligation to satisfy anyone's curiosity.. Anyone who believes that they will say anything negative about their dad is desperately clinging to a shred of delusion. waaaaaaaaaa

Thankyou. I feel that everyone knows richard is "crazy" so this article doesn't say much. He is a colorful character who basically speaks his mind, therefore you either laugh, walk away or just sigh.....and then move on.

TonyP
May 8th, 2003, 02:35 PM
African-Americans make racial prejudice a very important issue in their lives, yet too many Williams fans seem unwilling to deal with the issue on a fair basis.

Richard Williams makes charges of racism in tennis without providing any specifices and Williams fans say "oh, there goes crazy Richard again. Isn't he colorful."

The next time I hear a charges about racial prejudice, or the need for affirmative action, or reparations for slavery, should I just say "oh, there go the crazy black people again. What characters they are!"

You can't have it both ways. Either his charges of racism are serious, or Ricahrd Williams is just crying wolf and somebody owes tennis an apology.

And will Venus and Serena do anything about this? Of course not. Should reporters question them at their next press conferences about whether they feel racism on the tour. Yes they should.

Will the Williams sisters answer the questions? Probably not.

Does that make them people to admire? Not in my book. Will I take the next charges I hear about discrimination against African-Americans seriously? Well, I'll take them a little less seriously, that's for sure, and that is thanks not only to Richard Williams, but also to Venus and Serena Williams, who have let Richard run his mouth for such a long time.

selesrules
May 8th, 2003, 02:40 PM
RICHARD WILLIAMS:

YOU ARE A RACIST ASSHOLE. GO FUCK YOURSELF.

And yes, I have the right to say this because he has attacked in the past not only the rest of the wta but the white tennis fans claiming that we are racist. GO FUCK YOURSELF, YOU ARE THE MOTHERFUCKER RACIST, NOT ME. Things like this make me root against the Williams, he has insulted all the other players, I hope his daughters start losing everywhere so I could laugh at him. What an asshole.

Harju.
May 8th, 2003, 02:44 PM
:rolleyes: I hope he is arrested for what he said :p

Experimentee
May 8th, 2003, 02:48 PM
African-Americans make racial prejudice a very important issue in their lives, yet too many Williams fans seem unwilling to deal with the issue on a fair basis.

Richard Williams makes charges of racism in tennis without providing any specifices and Williams fans say "oh, there goes crazy Richard again. Isn't he colorful."

The next time I hear a charges about racial prejudice, or the need for affirmative action, or reparations for slavery, should I just say "oh, there go the crazy black people again. What characters they are!"

You can't have it both ways. Either his charges of racism are serious, or Ricahrd Williams is just crying wolf and somebody owes tennis an apology.

And will Venus and Serena do anything about this? Of course not. Should reporters question them at their next press conferences about whether they feel racism on the tour. Yes they should.

Does that make them people to admire? Not in my book. Will I take the next charges I hear about discrimination against African-Americans seriously? Well, I'll take them a little less seriously, that's for sure, and that is thanks not only to Richard Williams, but also to Venus and Serena Williams, who have let Richard run his mouth for such a long time.

They didnt 'let' him do anything. They shouldnt be expected to control their own father. No other tennis players comment on what their parents say so why should Venus and Serena have to? Do you go around apologising for whatever things your father says? Seriously, that is just bullshit.

TonyP
May 8th, 2003, 03:58 PM
Venus and Serena can't control Richard? Maybe that's true and maybe not.

But they can make their own positions clear. If they are asked, "Do you, yourself, feel there is racism on the tour?" shouldn't they answer truthfully one way or the other?

And if they answer in the affirmative, shouldn't they be asked to provide specifics, rather than make generalized charges?

Why is it that some Williams fans can't seem to see how insulting these charges are? Or, how damaging a man like Richard Williams is.

He's not some guy mouthing off in a barber shop. He's a national figure making statements that are getting national press coverage.

And his complaint seems to be that some people think women's tennis is now boring because of Williams domination and so he wants that labeled racist?

Oracene Williams says the Aussies were racist because they booed Serena when she took a very long injury time out while behind in the third set? What would people have done had Hingis or Capriati done the same thing? The answer is, they would have probably booed.

There comes a point when you have to stop and ask yourselves, exactly who is the racist under these circumstances?

harloo
May 8th, 2003, 04:28 PM
tennislove this has been posted many times over. As a matter of fact someone even posted the full article from the magazine

DA FOREHAND
May 8th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Venus and Serena can't control Richard? Maybe that's true and maybe not.

But they can make their own positions clear. If they are asked, "Do you, yourself, feel there is racism on the tour?" shouldn't they answer truthfully one way or the other?

And if they answer in the affirmative, shouldn't they be asked to provide specifics, rather than make generalized charges?

Why is it that some Williams fans can't seem to see how insulting these charges are? Or, how damaging a man like Richard Williams is.

He's not some guy mouthing off in a barber shop. He's a national figure making statements that are getting national press coverage.

And his complaint seems to be that some people think women's tennis is now boring because of Williams domination and so he wants that labeled racist?

Oracene Williams says the Aussies were racist because they booed Serena when she took a very long injury time out while behind in the third set? What would people have done had Hingis or Capriati done the same thing? The answer is, they would have probably booed.

There comes a point when you have to stop and ask yourselves, exactly who is the racist under these circumstances?

First off, they have answered these questions before, and somewhat agreed that there is some racism in there world and therefore easy to conclude that there would be some on the tour.

Secondly Richard, said some of the fans at I.Wells were racist, and I would tend to agree. He never said "all " tennis fans were racist.

Furthermore, why is it that only blacks have to come out and condemn another blk. person for saying something that's not p.c.? It's called a double standard...look it up!

Richard a national figure? Is he running for President? I don't see this national figures comments making the headlines of any newscast or newspaper I read.....Get real surely you jest.

TonyP
May 8th, 2003, 04:53 PM
"First off, they have answered these questions before, and somewhat agreed that there is some racism in there world and therefore easy to conclude that there would be some on the tour."

And some black people have been convicted of crimes, so it is therefore easy to conclude that other black people must be criminals.

So, police stopping and searching any black male is pretty much ok with you?

MarcusRock
May 8th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Richard :hearts: :rolleyes: :fiery:

Yes, I love him .....treufreund = http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/marcusrock/Macho.gif

Infiniti2001
May 8th, 2003, 05:00 PM

What do you mean by "unwilling to deal with it on a fair basis"?
Richard says a lot of things. i think most people don;t take literally everything he says. Venus and Serena have rarely mentioned racism, admitting only reluctantly that they have faced it and making no specific charges against anyone.
Richard also said in articles in the last week that a. his daughters should retire because they are too good for the compeititon and b. they will be around for a long time so everyone should get used to it.
What do half-cocked statements by richard have to do with the documented incidents of racial prejudice or need for affirmative action that crop up every day?
Those things don't have anything to do with Richard Williams.
Saying that because he says some loopy things, we should dismiss ALL claims of racism is smug and deluded- but then again ...
You seem to know history, but lack appreciation for it 's affects . I guarantee you could not endure 5 secs of being black .
It's a typical tactic to find a single crackpot or crazy remark and then dismiss an entire class of people. Ok, then ALL Christians are bigoted, hate-filled lunatics because of Franklin Graham and Jerry Falwell. All white men are greedy morons because Bush and Cheny are. Would you want Bush being used as representative of a class of people you belong to? I rest my case

MarcusRock
May 8th, 2003, 05:02 PM
RICHARD WILLIAMS:

YOU ARE A RACIST ASSHOLE. GO FUCK YOURSELF.

And yes, I have the right to say this because he has attacked in the past not only the rest of the wta but the white tennis fans claiming that we are racist. GO FUCK YOURSELF, YOU ARE THE MOTHERFUCKER RACIST, NOT ME. Things like this make me root against the Williams, he has insulted all the other players, I hope his daughters start losing everywhere so I could laugh at him. What an asshole.selesrules = http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/marcusrock/Curse.gif and http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/marcusrock/Psycho.gif

TonyP
May 8th, 2003, 05:25 PM
Infinit:

You make some good points. Others are just silly. All black people in America do not live such difficult lives.

But no, I don't want Bush or Cheney representing me. I will own up to that.

But Richard Williams is easy to dismiss as a crackpot when you want to dismiss him. Yet he stands ready to take all the accolades for his daughters success, too.

I'm just saying, when the father, more importantly, the coach of the number one player in the world says the tour is racist, it is NOt such a small matter.

And to say, hey, it's just Richard, don't sweat it, ignores the issue of crying wolf.

Not only does that issue affect white people, who are less prone to believe blacks when they hear this stuff. It also affects black people. How many black people who don't really follow tennis that much hear about this alleged racism and believe it? Heck, it must be true. It's coming from Venus and Serena's father!

This is a very serious subject and nothing to be fooling around with.
Wild, unsubstantiated charges do a disservice to everyone.

Jakub
May 8th, 2003, 05:45 PM
:rolleyes: now we see who is a racist :rolleyes:

WHAT AN IDIOT !!!!!!!!!!!

Filip!
May 8th, 2003, 05:53 PM
I think Richard Williams is arrogant, let me explain it:

1) He's always saying that his daughters can beat anyone (ok, that's true), but he does never show any respect for other players! He's saying things like "The level of other players is bad, my daughters are the best". That's just arrogant, he has to show respect for every player! And... the level in the top 10 is growing and growing, we have to be honest: the last weeks and months, other girls are getting a real threat for Venus and Serena!

2) Who is talking about racism? Nobody! Nobody! Nobody! But Richard Williams himself starts talking about racism every time! I'm white, and I have a lot of respect for the Williams-sisters, they are great athletes, I'm not a fan, but I can really respect what they are doing! Black or white, I really don't care about that, I'm a WTA-fan because I love the tennis, if they are white, OK for me, if they are black, also OK for me! Richard starts talking about racism so much, he's really talking with a lack of respect for every white tennisfan, he's almost saying: "every white tennisfan is a racist"... Who is the racist here? Me, or Richard?

DA FOREHAND
May 8th, 2003, 05:58 PM
"First off, they have answered these questions before, and somewhat agreed that there is some racism in there world and therefore easy to conclude that there would be some on the tour."

And some black people have been convicted of crimes, so it is therefore easy to conclude that other black people must be criminals.

So, police stopping and searching any black male is pretty much ok with you?

What the hell does one have to do w/the other? I doubt you know anything about being harrassed by the police, so I'd say that's a subj. you shut your trap on and sit back listen and learn. As has been stated you probably couldn't last 5 sec. in black skin.

I was raised to be colorblind, and that ignorance was quite blissfull, until I got a taste of the real world and wised up. I can't count the number of times I've been pulled over on a D.W.B, hell I've been pulled over walking while black.

I'll comment on this subj. further when you realise that Venus Williams, Serena Williams, Richard Williams are three individuals, and not one entity

Leena
May 8th, 2003, 05:59 PM
Wow... at least in this thread, people can see what a racist scumbag Dick Williams is. There is hope for humanity.

Cybelle Darkholme
May 8th, 2003, 06:02 PM

You my friend are crazy. Yes accusations of racism are serious just like accusations of sexism and homophobia. Stop making blanket generalizations of ALL WILLIAMS FANS or ALL BLACK PEOPLE. And why should venus or serena be accountable for their father? He is his own person. Are you accountable for your father? Your mother? No. It doesn't work that way. Stop trying to persecute people for the actions of others. Maybe those reporters should TALK TO RICHARD since they are already talking to him.

Funny how any article about richard automatically goes from him to them as if they are all the same person. And please forgive me if I completely view your taking accusations of racism seriously in the first place. It looks to me like your just trying to find an excuse to give you a reason not think it about it or take it seriously."oh that richard williams made me discount all claims of racism!" As if richard wiliams represents all black people... whatever.

DA FOREHAND
May 8th, 2003, 06:04 PM
Wow... at least in this thread, people can see what a racist scumbag Dick Williams is. There is hope for humanity.

I don't see it that way at all.

Leena
May 8th, 2003, 06:06 PM
What the hell does one have to do w/the other? I doubt you know anything about being harrassed by the police, so I'd say that's a subj. you shut your trap on and sit back listen and learn. As has been stated you probably couldn't last 5 sec. in black skin.

I was raised to be colorblind, and that ignorance was quite blissfull, until I got a taste of the real world and wised up. I can't count the number of times I've been pulled over on a D.W.B, hell I've been pulled over walking while black.

And my family has been attacked just for being white. Like I said in the previous thread, that doesn't give me the grounds to look down on "blacks".

I'm sorry that the police pulled you over just because of your color... but you have to realize that the majority of police and people out there don't do such things... in the real world, there are racists in all races.

Cybelle Darkholme
May 8th, 2003, 06:10 PM
And my family has been attacked just for being white. Like I said in the previous thread, that doesn't give me the grounds to look down on "blacks".

I'm sorry that the police pulled you over just because of your color... but you have to realize that the majority of police and people out there don't do such things... in the real world, there are racists in all races.

no the majority of people dont' do that but what about the people who do? shouldnt they be held accountable? so when Louima was shot over 40 times for trying to show the police his wallet and id we should just go oh Im sorry but they're not all like that...

kiwifan
May 8th, 2003, 06:10 PM
Whiners will whine at WTAworld.

What else is new?

Richard rules, especially during the boring clay court season.

That's why you whiners keep dragging this interview up over and over and over.

Waaaaa.

You know Richard isn't going to change and you know that no one in the Williams camp is going to worry about "tennis fan's" reaction to Richard.

The haters will bitch and moan while everyone else will laugh or say, "There's Richard shooting his mouth off again, kooky old man."

I'm sorry did I interrupt the whining?

Please continue...

DA FOREHAND
May 8th, 2003, 06:11 PM

Sorry to hear that, but I don't recall saying that I look down on all whites, or even all policemen. I want the police to do their jobs, but in doing their job doesn't mean pulling me over because i'm walking in a predominately white neighborhood.

Afterall some of my favorites shirts are white. :D

Mase
May 8th, 2003, 06:12 PM
Man this thread just keeps going and going and going.........

BigTennisFan
May 8th, 2003, 07:22 PM
Let there be no more posts after this one. :devil:

It is my wish. ;)

It is my command. :o

harloo
May 8th, 2003, 07:41 PM
sorry bigtennisfan, I couldn't help myself. :D

Anyways, nice post infiniti and don't bother to discuss issues about the black community with TonyP, he seems to think he is some type of expert on black folk. LOL. Whatever!!!!!

Futhermore, Richard is his own person who makes crazy statements so why the suprise from everyone? Venus and Serena should not be held accountable for his comments, and they most likely will not engage in the controversy. They will say everyone has a right to their opinion.

Also, Richard is not a representative for the entire black community. It would be different if he was a politician, but he is not. :D