PDA

View Full Version : Capriati Makes Winning Start to French Open Warm-Up

tennisIlove09
May 7th, 2003, 08:26 PM
Capriati Makes Winning Start to French Open Warm-Up
Wed May 7, 2003 08:55 AM ET
BERLIN (Reuters) - Jennifer Capriati began her warm-up for the French Open with a comfortable 6-4, 6-4 win over Italy's Francesca Schiavone at the German Open on Wednesday.
The 2001 French Open champion, looking forward to the Paris event starting on May 26, needed 89 minutes to beat Schiavone in her first match of the season on the red clay of Europe.

The 27-year-old American, who had a bye into the second round, goes on to meet France's Nathalie Dechy in the third round of $1.2 million tournament. Dechy survived the second round easily, beating Slovenia's Maja Matevzic, 6-4, 6-2.

"It was a good start," said Capriati, making her eighth appearance in Berlin. "I rallied well, I was patient on the long points and aggressive at the right moments."

Capriati has fond memories of the German Open, where she reached the semi-finals as a bubbly 15-year-old in 1991.

Her promising career was later derailed when she lost interest in the sport and dabbled in drugs.

She was staging a remarkable comeback which eventually took her to the number one spot when she reached the final in 2001, losing to France's Amelie Mauresmo.

The combative Capriati, who has dropped to seventh in the world, is now trying to make it back to the top after undergoing eye surgery to remove sunspots in January.

"I'm a fighter," she said on Wednesday. "Others give up but I don't. I just dig deeper."

JCAP
May 7th, 2003, 09:14 PM
That attitude is the best she seems pretty fired up for this one!

*abby*
May 7th, 2003, 09:24 PM
and she should b she deserves this title and she is working hard for it so
GO JENNY!!!!!!yay!
jenny is the best she is in great shape and looking good! :drool: :p