PDA

View Full Version : Roland Garros Wildcards

AjdeNate!
May 7th, 2003, 06:42 PM
Frenchwomen Amandine Dulon, Tatiana Golovin, Anais Laurendon, Virginie Pichet and Camille Pin have also been handed places in the draw.

Australian Christina Wheeler, courtesy of an agreement between the French and Australian federations, was also awarded a wild card.

Three wild cards are still to be granted for the men's singles and two for the women's.

AjdeNate!
May 7th, 2003, 06:43 PM
Men:
Michael Chang
Richard Gasquet
Rafael Nadal
Jerome Golmard
Mickael Llodra

MS
May 7th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Rafael :bounce: :bounce:

Dava
May 7th, 2003, 07:12 PM
They had better give Elena B the last one please, or we should just ban the French from Wimbledon!!!

BK4ever
May 7th, 2003, 07:13 PM
I want Eggy to come in here and verify this...but Golovin should not be allowed to get a WC.

c. (i) Between the date of a player’s fifteenth (15th) birthday and the day before her
sixteenth (16th) birthday a player may participate in a maximum of eight (8) professional
Tournaments plus the Championships (if she qualifies), Fed Cup, and three (3)
exhibition/non-Tour events.

(iii) These players are permitted to receive a total of three (3) Wild Cards as follows: two
(2) Wild Cards into the Main Draw or Qualifying Draws of any Sanex WTA Tour Tier I-V
Tournament or ITF Women’s Circuit event, and one (1) Wild Card into the Main Draw or
Qualifying Draw of any Sanex WTA Tour Tier III-V or ITF Women’s Circuit Tournaments.

Tatiana has already had her two WC's into maindraws...Indian Wells and Miami...

Maybe they changed the rules...

GermanBoy
May 7th, 2003, 07:22 PM
Is Arnaud di Pasquale a direct entry or does he need a wild card? :confused: Hope to see him at RG, he has a lot of points to defend and I like him. :worship:

TheBoiledEgg
May 7th, 2003, 07:31 PM
those are the rules...... yep i know
Might be cos RG is a Slam.
I'll try and find some more info.

but overall I like the choices :)

TatiAnnahølic
May 7th, 2003, 07:34 PM
Tati and Rafa :bounce:

le-plus-beau
May 7th, 2003, 08:25 PM
Celine will get one and I hope Dhenin!

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
May 7th, 2003, 09:11 PM
Yeah....slams are exempt. They can give a 10 year old a WC if they want.....even though the WTA would be pissed.

BK4ever
May 7th, 2003, 09:12 PM
that makes no sense..they why not say that in the rule...

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
May 7th, 2003, 09:15 PM
Because, slams really aren't exempt....but they are, ya know what I mean?

Slams are strongly encouraged to abide by the rules, but don't always.

niceman
May 7th, 2003, 10:44 PM
i'm hoping they'll leave one for Sandrine......:)
and ranking wise, i thought Celine Beigbeder
was ranked higher than Dulon and Pichet,
why didnt she get one........
and the last one i hope will go to Martina Hingis.:D

TennisHack
May 8th, 2003, 12:06 AM
Is Arnaud di Pasquale a direct entry or does he need a wild card? :confused: Hope to see him at RG, he has a lot of points to defend and I like him. :worship:

DiP has a ruptured vertebrate and will be out for at least six months :sad:

CoetzerFan
May 8th, 2003, 01:15 AM
I Just Hope Amanda Draws One Of Them In The First Round. ;)

~|Naomi|~
May 8th, 2003, 03:49 AM
Surprised to see Wheeler got the aussie wildcard over Stosur, I know Wheeler beat Anna here last year, but fully expected it to go to Stosur, who tennis australia are clearly pushing and giving all the opportunities to. So it is good to see Wheeler get another chance, and an opportunity to defend her points :)

Nice choice

DutchieGirl
May 8th, 2003, 04:00 AM
I want Eggy to come in here and verify this...but Golovin should not be allowed to get a WC.

c. (i) Between the date of a player’s fifteenth (15th) birthday and the day before her
sixteenth (16th) birthday a player may participate in a maximum of eight (8) professional
Tournaments plus the Championships (if she qualifies), Fed Cup, and three (3)
exhibition/non-Tour events.

(iii) These players are permitted to receive a total of three (3) Wild Cards as follows: two
(2) Wild Cards into the Main Draw or Qualifying Draws of any Sanex WTA Tour Tier I-V
Tournament or ITF Women’s Circuit event, and one (1) Wild Card into the Main Draw or
Qualifying Draw of any Sanex WTA Tour Tier III-V or ITF Women’s Circuit Tournaments.

Tatiana has already had her two WC's into maindraws...Indian Wells and Miami...

Maybe they changed the rules...

No - it says she can have THREE WC's - she had two already, so the FO would be her third right?

TS
May 8th, 2003, 04:09 AM
Surprised to see Wheeler got the aussie wildcard over Stosur, I know Wheeler beat Anna here last year, but fully expected it to go to Stosur, who tennis australia are clearly pushing and giving all the opportunities to. So it is good to see Wheeler get another chance, and an opportunity to defend her points :)

Nice choice

Sam will undoubtedly get the Wimbledon WC, and therefore cannot receive the FO one as well. There was really no-one else worthy aside from Christina (and also Rachel McQuillan but she's obviously nearing the end of her career and they've always gone with youth)

I'm happy with this choice too :) Incidentally, the FO wildcard was reserved for Evie this year, but as she made it in on her own, Christina was the next choice.

GermanBoy
May 8th, 2003, 08:05 PM
DiP has a ruptured vertebrate and will be out for at least six months :sad:

I didn`t know! Why? :confused: :eek: Get well very soon, Arnaud, we need you! :sad: :sad: :sad: