PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday report !!!

GoDominique
May 6th, 2003, 11:50 PM
Just back from the German Open. :) It was a great day with many exciting matches. As I soon found the seat where you can see almost all courts at the same time, I can comment on most of today's matches. ;) (apart from the doubles matches on Court 6, I only saw a few points of them)

Here we go:

Center Court

1. Marlene Weingärtner def. Conchita Martinez 6-2 7-5

This was one of Marlene's better days, apart from a concantration lapse in the 2nd set. She pretty much dominated the match and scores many nice winners (and only few stupid errors). Conchita on the other hand had a bad day. Many errors, bad serve - of course she was very annoyed and threw her racket several times. Marlene led 6-2 4-1 with 2 breaks, then the errors came. Conchita levelled the set at 5-5 when Marlene double-faulted on break-point. But then Marlene won the next 8 points for a rather easy win.

2. Daniela Hantuchova def. Barbara Schett 6-3 4-6 6-3

Bad match of two slumping players. That's how you could summarize this match. No player ever really got things going here. Lots of bad errors and missed chances. Many breaks as well. Disappoinitng and rather boring.
Daniela won the first set solidly 6-3. The second set was totally up and down, 2 games here, 2 games there. At 0-2 Daniela received treatment on her knee, she still had it taped after the match. In the third set Daniela had an early lead, Barbara managed to come back once and had several chances later as well but in the end Daniela was just a bit more consistent.
Oh, and BTW: Daniela IS too thin. Her arms are virtually non-existent. You could hear comments like "OMG, have you seen her legs" "Look how thin she is" etc. by other spectators. Whether this is the reason for her bad game or not is another question.

3. Justine Henin def. Daja Bedanova 6-4 6-1

Justine played solid tennis, nothing spectacular. Daja got worse as the match went on. The first set was really close, and Daja had the chance to break back but she could never take her chances. She tried serve & volley several times but it didn't really work well as her volleys often sucked (and of course Justine's returns aren't bad either). 2nd set: Quite a lot close games, but Justine won almost all of them.

4. Magui Serna def. Chanda Rubin 7-5 6-3

Magui was 'on' today. She was really motivated to win this match, and in fact her victory was never in doubt. She used all her varieties, slice, drop-shots, volleys, and because of that Chanda never really got into the match. Chanda came back from 2-4 to 5-4 in the first set, but in the crucial situations she made too many bad errors. And she never seemed to feel comfortable with the surface. In the 2nd set Magui rolled but became a bit tense in the last two games as she needed 4 match-points to secure the win.

Court B

1. Eleni Daniilidou def. Angelika Bachmann 6-2 6-2

Score says it all. Eleni was just a class above Angelika. She made few errors, served OK and used her slice very well. Angelika had a lot of errors and was usually just defending. She can play a bit better, but considering her recent results this had to be expected.

2. Iroda Tulyaganova def. Barbara Rittner 6-1 6-1

Iroda was very good. Barbara was terrible. Iroda completely dominated the points and never really gave Barbara a chance, who made a lot of errors herself too. Her shots were just too weak to be any threat to Iroda. Thank god Barbara didn't get a WC.

3. Denisa Chladkova def. Maggie Maleeva 6-7 (1) 6-1 6-4

Wow, this was a really tough battle, especially in the 3rd set. Many very long rallies with both players running down a lot of balls, although there weren't too many varieties. Both were fired up and determined to win.
First set was close and up-and-down, but the tie-break was completely Maggie's. But Denisa hung in there well. When she broke twice to go up 4-1 Maggie more or less let the set go. The 3rd set was absolutely even until 4-4, with many exhausting long games. In the last 2 games, Denisa was just a bit more active and aggressive, certainly the good tournament in Warsaw helped her confidence a lot.

4. Barna/Weingärtner def. Barclay/Freye 6-4 6-3

To me a bit surprising result. Not very high quality, but Anca and Marlene were quite a good team. Expecially Marlene played a good match. For being mainly doubles players, Catherine and Kirstie were disappointing. Especially Catherine missed a lot of volleys. Lots of breaks, but in the end an easy win.

Court 2

1. Meghann Shaughnessy def. Iva Majoli 7-6 (3) 3-6 6-4

Probably the match of the day. Very good performances from both players, especially Iva played surprisingly well. Very few errors on both sides, a lot of winners and nice points. Iva had her right thigh taped but it didn't seem to bother her.
First set: all even until Iva blew the tie-break with a few shitty points.
2nd set: Iva got more and more in control, one break decided the set.
3rd set: No breaks until the last game. Iva always seemed to be a bit closer to breaking serve, but Meghann saved it by good serving. And similar to the first set, one bad game by Iva decided the match, as she lost her serve at 4-5 with a double-fault.

2. Fabiola Zuluaga def. Paola Suarez 6-3 6-1

Didn't see that much of it, but after being a break down early in the first set, Fabiola pretty much controlled this match with powerful play from the baseline. Paoloa never found a way to change momentum.

3. Patty Schnyder def. Els Callens 2-6 6-4 6-3

An up-and-down but very exciting match. I missed most of the first set, but Patty must have played like shit, while Els played a solid match. When Patty cut down her errors in the 2nd, she began to control the match, while Els started to make many bad UE's. Patty led 5-1 but then broke down again. She was lucky to serve out the set at 5-4 with her 5th set-point, as Els even had a break-point for 5-5.
The 3rd set had very close games. Patty smashed her racket after the 3rd game. But at 2-2 Els lost serve which was really not necessary. After that it was still a tense match and Els had her chances but Patty was steadier from the baseline.

4. Svetlana Kuznetsova def. Virginie Razzano 6-1 6-1

How long was this, 30 minutes? Svetlana was ruthless. She fired winners from all positions. Virginie could just stand and watch the balls flying past her, although I have to say that she didn't play well anyway. A real thrashing.

Court 4

1. Anna Pistolesi def. Tatiana Panova 6-1 6-1

The result wasn't really surprising, as everything Tatiana did, Anna did better. Better length, less errors, so most points ended in Anna's favour, although the games were closer than the score indicates.

2. Vera Zvonareva def. Myriam Casanova 3-6 6-2 6-2

Impressive hitting from both players. Vera had an early lead, but Myriam fought back by winning all the close games to take the first set. But in sets 2 and 3, she only held serve once, and of course that was not enough. Hardly first serves and many DF. Vera was also more consistent and had more energy left in the 3rd set.

3. Francesca Schiavone def. Kristie Boogert 3-6 7-5 6-3

Very exciting and looong match of good quality. Why in the world is Kristie ranked 186 ? She could be top 50 considering today's performance. Great returns, powerful serving and good baseline-game. She really dominated Francesca in the first set. 2nd set was very close, no breaks until the last game. Francesca served well too and was able to create more pressure herself then.
At the beginning of the 3rd Francesca had her right thigh taped and it really seemed to bother her a bit. The first few games were very close but went on serve. It looked like Kristie might have mory energy left. But then at 2-3 she had a bad fall. I didn't see it but she was covered with dirt after it. She received treatment but she was definitely moving worse after that and got broken immediately. She still had one more chance to break back but a few too many errors and Francesca was through to round 2.

4. Emilie Loit def. Katarina Srebotnik 4-6 6-3 6-3

Good match. Katarina was always up in the first set, still Emilie had the chance to reach 5-5 and was furious when she failed to hold serve.
Emilie played better in set 2 and was up 2 breaks at 4-1 which was enough to win the set although it got tight again.
In the 3rd, Emilie broke again for 2-0 but Katarina fought back to 2-2. She then had a good chance to break again, but missed it and was broken herself. In the end Emilie was a bit more consistent, while Katarina had too many UE's.

I saw practising:

Nadja (I think) and Denisa.
Elena L. and Ai.
Amelie and Nathalie.
Jelena and Heinz Günthard, they seemd to have quite a lot of fun.
Anastasia.
Anca and Martina Müller.
And two Spanish girls. They were pretty bad so I assume one of them was Maria Jose Martinez. ;) and a few others as well

And Rossana's daughter :hearts: She has improved a lot since the last time I saw her. She is currently working on her serve. ;) She really impressed the spectators with her skills. :) But it's all only fun and she really seems to enjoy it.

If you have any questions, please ask. :)

Sofiane
May 6th, 2003, 11:58 PM
Have you seen Kim Around?

GoDominique
May 7th, 2003, 12:03 AM
Have you seen Kim Around?
No, I didn't see Kim once. :confused:

rated_next
May 7th, 2003, 12:39 AM

croat123
May 7th, 2003, 01:15 AM
thanx! great to hear that iva was playing well

Cariaoke
May 7th, 2003, 01:31 AM
wow thanks for the in depth review of each match. :wavey:

~|Naomi|~
May 7th, 2003, 01:38 AM
Thanks for the report, that was one of the best I've ever read :worship:

About Kim she practiced at 7.45am so she said in her diary on her website, as sehe wanted to practice on centre court as she has never played on it before.

Sofiane
May 7th, 2003, 02:01 AM
Thanks Guys :)

Jordan.
May 7th, 2003, 02:46 AM
thanks so much! :D

Steff_forever
May 7th, 2003, 05:35 AM
Thanks GoDo ! :worship:

but wether Daniela is too thin or not I stay one of her first fans !!! ;)
If she feels well like this why shouldn't she keep her weight as it is ???

Do you think Marly has chances vs Jelena if she plays Dokic's play ?

Shooter
May 7th, 2003, 05:41 AM
This is a very thorough report of the day's matches. Well done. This is not as easy as you've made it look. Thanks.

niceman
May 7th, 2003, 05:47 AM
thx.......never really made sense to me
to hear Angelika got the WC???.....
Rittner should have been the one.....:rolleyes:
oh well, both lost anyways

TS
May 7th, 2003, 05:55 AM
Great report GoDominique :) Thanks :D

salima
May 7th, 2003, 06:02 AM
Thank you, (envy,envy) I was watching the Eurosport coverage, looking for myself in the audience, until I realised I have had to skip the trip due to empty wallet :sad:

Have a nice time GoDominique, and wave to the camera if you get in front of one :wavey:

vogus
May 7th, 2003, 06:14 AM
Thanx for those great match reports, i read them all. :wavey:

Gandalf
May 7th, 2003, 07:48 AM
Wow thanks, how did you manage to see ALL the matches??

MS
May 7th, 2003, 08:39 AM
WOW, great report! thanks!

Brian Stewart
May 7th, 2003, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the report! A lot more detail than we get from the wire reports.

skanky~skanketta
May 7th, 2003, 08:50 AM
thanks for the report!keep watching the justine and vera and kim matches and keep us updated!:)

Beat
May 7th, 2003, 09:20 AM
thanks so much!! it seems you really enjoyed yourself. :D

rhz
May 7th, 2003, 10:17 AM
thx. hope to hear from you again wednesday

maya
May 7th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Thank you for the report :)! It's very interesting.

Doris Loeffel
May 7th, 2003, 10:43 AM
GoDom
Thanks for the report. (Good to see that Patty wasn't playing all that bad...)

TheBoiledEgg
May 7th, 2003, 10:44 AM
thanx Go Dom for the nice report :):)

Princess Fiona
May 7th, 2003, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the report!! :)

danielrosario
May 7th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Thanks GoDominique :)

GoDominique
May 7th, 2003, 11:31 AM
You are welcome. :)

Only problem: I won't go again. :sad: I have to drive 3 hours to get there and unfortunately I don't have the time to do it again this year. :(

King Aaron
May 7th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Thanks a lot for the reports. :D
It's too bad you won't go again this year but looks like you had fun yesterday. :D