PDA

View Full Version : Wade: Serena will force Venus to quit

tennisIlove09
May 6th, 2003, 08:08 PM
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/articles/4677942?source=Evening%20Standard

Wade: Serena will force Venus to quit
By Kate Battersby, Evening Standard
6 May 2003

Crikey. Virginia Wade is not short of opinions. According to the 1977 Wimbledon champion, Venus Williams will not be around much longer; the Venus-Serena monopoly is "boring"; Anna Kournikova is "a lost cause"; and it is the fault of British players rather than the nation's tennis structure that the next Wade is nowhere in sight. All this before we even get started on the BBC.

Having met her, I cannot now recall why I imagined Wade would be dull and severe. She is 57, incredibly slight by comparison with today's amazon women players, and huge fun. She was 31 when she held aloft the Venus Rosewater Dish in SW19, an age by which she expects competitive tennis to be a whiskery memory for 22-year-old Venus.

"As long as Serena stays fit she will be hard to beat for years, but I don't think Venus will survive long," said Wade. "Venus has realised Serena is better than she is and she's losing heart. If the Williamses continue to monopolise the Grand Slam finals it isn't good news. It's already boring.

"But Venus is still very dedicated to Serena. I was at the Family Circle Cup in the US last month when Justine Henin-Hardenne beat Serena in the final, and apparently Venus rang their mother Oracene in the middle of the match on a mobile phone and said Oracene had to find a way of telling Serena how to win. Obviously, Venus was watching the match on television at home.

"The two sisters do live in this strange little orbit where they feed off each other. Sometimes they can be like puppies, so playful, and at others they don't interact with other people at all. I've had good moments with them and then at other times there's completely nothing, like I'm a stranger.

"Then again, when Martina Hingis was dominating so few years ago I thought that would go on forever. She was such a brilliant player with so many talents - strong mentally, great at getting herself out of problems - and of all the players she was the smartest and most interested in other things outside tennis. She didn't look down her nose at you.

"But then her game went down and became defensive. She wanted to ride horses and party, rather than put her nose to the grindstone and be single-minded.

"Then she embarrassed herself so badly with her behaviour in defeat at the French Open Final against Steffi Graf in 1999, and I thought from then on she never knew how to find a safe outlet for her frustration and anger. That's what I really think forced her out of the game."

Wade was speaking as an ambassador (there really are such things) for next month's International-Championships at Eastbournenow sponsored by motor insurance provider Hastings Direct. The grass court tournament has long been important in the warm-up to Wimbledon. This year's field includes Jennifer Capriati, 2002 champion Chanda Rubin, and the world No67 - Kournikova.

"No, Anna won't come back," said Wade. "She's a lost cause so far as getting her mind together is concerned. She hasn't had a decent coach and just doesn't want to listen. There's an arrogance and bravado about her which stands in her way. It's crazy she hasn't ever won a tournament. She has so much potential.

"I'm curious to see what's going to happen to her now anyway. So far, everything she has earned from being glamorous has been built on the back of her tennis. If she had got herself into the top five in the world, as she was definitely capable of, then she could have continued to go gangbusters on the marketing front. But now everybody has realised she just doesn't cut it on the tennis court, you wonder how long the rest can last."

The BBC will be screening Eastbourne, although at one stage - to Wade's fury - it planned to dump it.

"The BBC said the viewing figures weren't good enough but that was because it was putting it on at 11 and 12 at night," complained Wade. "Meanwhile, it shows all the men's tournament from Queen's day in and day out when frankly it's stupid showing all the early rounds. "Women's tennis is so relegated. The Grand Slam prize money should be equal. It's irrelevant that women don't play five sets. The price of a theatre ticket isn't dictated by how long the play is. Wimbledon is so stuck in a rut."

If any outfit in tennis really requires an ambassador to state its case, it must be the Lawn Tennis Association, always blamed for the dearth of young British players coming into the senior ranks. But Wade insists it is not the LTA's fault.

"The foundation is there," she said. "But I get very despondent listening to good young players. I'd like them to be more brazen. There just isn't a good attitude, and it becomes contagious. Mind you, the LTA could do some instant modernising by dropping the L in LTA. Just call it tennis. You have to get away from that boring, upper middle class element of grey people."

Let no one mistake Virginia Wade for a boring grey person, that's all.

Bezz
May 6th, 2003, 08:17 PM
I agree with some of the stuff she said. Hingis was the best out there and should still be out there. Kounikova has lost the plot a bit but hopefully will get it back together. Venus is a mystery-is she better than serena??-if not will she want to stay as williams no.2?? --i agree i think venus will quit tennis before serena and concentrate on her interior design--although i reckon she will want a few more slams before she does.

Infiniti2001
May 6th, 2003, 08:21 PM
Does Miss wade have a spy in the Williams family?? :rolleyes:

Cybelle Darkholme
May 6th, 2003, 08:28 PM
sounds like she's a hateful opinonated bitch.

Beat
May 6th, 2003, 08:34 PM
well, she certainly has an opinion. the question just is: is it an intelligent one? :o

SJW
May 6th, 2003, 08:39 PM
shes fucking English

what else do you expect from us :o

Seriously Wade needs to STFU. no-one cares about her anymore. hell she doesnt even have an English accent. shes got a South African accent or something.

when you got idiots like that supposed "roll-models" for the British game, is it any wonder why we cant produce?

she needs to sit in at tea mornings and start collecting her pension instead of sucking money out of a game that doesnt even remember...i HATE it when she commentates@ Wimby cos shes a typical snobby-nosed £*%&£ :o:rolleyes:

CJ07
May 6th, 2003, 08:40 PM
oh whatever

exoneuk
May 6th, 2003, 08:48 PM
Personally there are points that I do agree with.

The Venus and Serena Grand Slam finals are boring to watch. Any other match-up is MUCH more exciting. When Serena and Venus play in the final, neither wants to win to disappoint the other but neither wants to lose to disappoint themselves.

You could see it in Venus' face that she was losing heart in her match with Serena at the Aus Open final :(

Admittedly the domination is fantastic, to see such a strong pair of players taking the game apart is phenomenal but it IS starting to lose its edge and although they are BOTH fantastic players, watching them play each other bores the socks off me.

As for Anna? Well... She's playing in a 25K this week. I'm a little off-put by that. She's ranked 67th in the world and she's gone down to a 25K? Surely the 75K in St Gaudens was well within her capacity?

WhatTheDeuce
May 6th, 2003, 08:55 PM
lmao at wade...moron...

maccardel
May 6th, 2003, 09:08 PM
Suddenly everybody's got an opinion about Venus and Serena. Before the domination, everyone was talking about they don't play enough and they could win a slam and so on. Now that the sisters are playing and winning, there's a problem. I just don't understand these folks anymore. You just can't please them. What do they expect, for Serena and Venus to play the same tourneys and lose intentionally cos Virginia doesn't want to see an all williams final?

Why should they be shortchanged cos they are sisters and the other players are not up to par?

I am so tired of this, it's not funny.

exoneuk
May 6th, 2003, 09:16 PM
I reckon the initial thoughts were that it's fantastic for the game but I agree that people now are getting a bit tired of it :sad:

I know I'm tired of watching them play in the final of a grand slam but they can't help it can they? It doesn't detract from my overall love for the game but i must admit that williams-williams matches are just not competitive enough for me to watch.

Ho hum, it'll all end in tears and handbags... I don't want to dispute the prowess of the Williams sisters being phenomenal at what they do but I sometimes wish someone would come by and really give them what for in a tourney.

And hell it's ma opinion and ma pie, now GET OFFA MA PIE :(

ys
May 6th, 2003, 09:17 PM
What she says is quite in tact with what I wrote 4 monthes ago ( http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?threadid=51844 ). Already back then Venus Williams had symptoms of early burnout, and continuous dominance by Serena will only increase those symptoms.. What her father suggests actually makes sense - go take a sabbatical and return when motivation is back.

TonyP
May 6th, 2003, 09:52 PM
One thing seems very true.

Tennis has more opinionated former champions than just about any sport I can think of.

But just what exactly makes these ex-players think they can get into other people's minds, I really don't know.

It sort of seems to me that one problem is that far too many ex-players hang around the sport far too long, trying to make their living off a sport they can no longer play well enough to earn money at.

Wade said something there about Hingis that has some truth in it, but the way she phrased it is insulting and demeaning. She said Martina "wanted to ride horses and party....rather than "put her nose to the grindstone and be single minded."

Okay, Martina had boyfriends, but she was by no means a party girl. Wade had girlfriends. Nobody slammed her private life.

Did Martina ride horses? Sure. Did she refuse to become single minded?

Right again!

But that is her right, just as it is the right of Venus to want her design business and Serena to want to be in show buiness.

You do NOT automatically lack character because you don't want to devote your entire life to hitting a fuzzy little yellow ball back and forth across a net.

Personally, the thing Martina and the sisters have in common, aside from from the fact that all three of them won more slam titles than Wade, is that they all have other interests. I applaud that in all three of them.

And I don't think you will find any of them hanging around the sport in their twilight years, still hoping for some attention or possibly to make a living off tennis,

Rocketta
May 6th, 2003, 09:59 PM
But Venus is still very dedicated to Serena. I was at the Family Circle Cup in the US last month when Justine Henin-Hardenne beat Serena in the final, and apparently Venus rang their mother Oracene in the middle of the match on a mobile phone and said Oracene had to find a way of telling Serena how to win. Obviously, Venus was watching the match on television at home.

How exactly does she know this?? Through 4th party hearsay(sp?)? I mean WTFF??

tyk101
May 6th, 2003, 09:59 PM
she has an annoying voice!
but she has a point and it's probably correct!

Dava
May 6th, 2003, 10:07 PM
Thank it was an interesting article

Zenith
May 6th, 2003, 10:11 PM
Well said TonyP. It is just her opinion, not the gospel according to Virginia Wade.

CanadianBoy21
May 6th, 2003, 10:19 PM
How can we doubt Virginia? She was the Wimbledon Champion and knows more about the game than some of us ever will. I can sit here and say her OPINION is wrong, and think I am always right, but I really do see where she is coing from.
Everything she said was true think.

harloo
May 6th, 2003, 10:19 PM
Virginia Wade has always been a Williams hater. So, none of this does not suprise me. Who cares if she says it's sooooo boring? Maybe Virginia should take up deer hunting or find another hobby.

Some of these former champions really should close their mouth, because they really are hurting women's tennis instead of helping the game.

CanadianBoy21
May 6th, 2003, 10:23 PM
BTW, it is so true that Venus has lost her competitive side because of Serena.
If anybody else was in front of Vee, she wold so take them out with force...but with Serena she plays agressive, hits the ball, but the fire in her eyes is gone, she looks out of energy. but hey, at least she gives her best, but emotions take hold sometime, and she don't wanna beat up on lil Serena... although Venus messed up, because Serena ain't so little anymore... girl is pounding everybody, and will continue to pound Venus if Venus doesn't wake up, smell the coffeee, and play like she did in 2000-2001, which is serve in, power approach shot, swing volley put away. Classic Venus Williams.
Miss u Vee
:)

leslie
May 6th, 2003, 10:23 PM
One thing seems very true.

Tennis has more opinionated former champions than just about any sport I can think of.

But just what exactly makes these ex-players think they can get into other people's minds, I really don't know.

It sort of seems to me that one problem is that far too many ex-players hang around the sport far too long, trying to make their living off a sport they can no longer play well enough to earn money at.

Wade said something there about Hingis that has some truth in it, but the way she phrased it is insulting and demeaning. She said Martina "wanted to ride horses and party....rather than "put her nose to the grindstone and be single minded."

Okay, Martina had boyfriends, but she was by no means a party girl. Wade had girlfriends. Nobody slammed her private life.

Did Martina ride horses? Sure. Did she refuse to become single minded?

Right again!

But that is her right, just as it is the right of Venus to want her design business and Serena to want to be in show buiness.

You do NOT automatically lack character because you don't want to devote your entire life to hitting a fuzzy little yellow ball back and forth across a net.

Personally, the thing Martina and the sisters have in common, aside from from the fact that all three of them won more slam titles than Wade, is that they all have other interests. I applaud that in all three of them.

And I don't think you will find any of them hanging around the sport in their twilight years, still hoping for some attention or possibly to make a living off tennis,

I know for sure you would not find V&S hanging around tennis in their twilight years. That is why Venus started up her business.

harloo
May 6th, 2003, 10:37 PM
BTW, it is so true that Venus has lost her competitive side because of Serena.
If anybody else was in front of Vee, she wold so take them out with force...but with Serena she plays agressive, hits the ball, but the fire in her eyes is gone, she looks out of energy. but hey, at least she gives her best, but emotions take hold sometime, and she don't wanna beat up on lil Serena... although Venus messed up, because Serena ain't so little anymore... girl is pounding everybody, and will continue to pound Venus if Venus doesn't wake up, smell the coffeee, and play like she did in 2000-2001, which is serve in, power approach shot, swing volley put away. Classic Venus Williams.
Miss u Vee
:)

SuperDevil I disagree. I think Venus matured more and started focusing on other things. I necessarily don't think Venus lost her competitive side because of Serena, but I think she lost it because of what she wants outside of the game. Also, Serena's sudden emergence caught Venus off guard, and Venus was not ready to put in the extra work.

It usually works out where the sisters motivate each other, as when Serena won U.S Open 99, then Vee decided play time was over and improved and got better and went on an impressive streak. Now IMO after a couple years of drought Venus motivated Serena to get better and she did winning all 4 majors, but now I don't know if Venus is ready to put in the extra work to get better and make Serena improve. Serena is calling out Venus, but IMO Vee has matured and is focused on other things.

ToeTag
May 6th, 2003, 10:49 PM
God,I love Virginia Wade. :worship: :hearts:

spencercarlos
May 6th, 2003, 10:50 PM
I will just disagree with the HEADLINE....... Serena will force VEnus to quit because she has beaten her the last matches? Why did not Serena quit when Venus was beating her time after time before....

I agree Serena is a better player than Venus, not only by achievements, but also because Serena has a more complete game, almost NO weaknesses.

But this could be a good thing for Venus, she maybe can fix those weakness and maybe find the way to win slams again and beat her sister.

jmp
May 6th, 2003, 10:52 PM
Thanks for posting this article, tennisIlove09.

I find Ms. Wade to be blunt. But, she is consistent. She seems to have her own mind as opposed to commentators/former players who regurgitate the latest group thought.

Having written that, I disagree with some of her views.

*I believe Venus will leave tennis before the age of 31 (the age at which Ms. Wade won Wimbledon). I don't think Serena will force her out, though. Venus will leave on her own terms.

EDIT TO ADD: I don't find all-Williams finals to be boring in the least. I'm hoping for the day when the winner flips back and forth.

*I don't think Martina left the game to party and ride horses. I think she made a significant mark in womens' tennis, the game changed, and she moved on.

*Ms. Wade was very vocal during Anna K.'s Wimbledon press conference incident. That may be behind her comments. But, Anna's lack of performance is bearing her out.

Ms. Wade was right on about the difference in prize money. Her opinion on the LTA is as valid as any other. I really don't know why the U.K. isn't more prominent in professional tennis.

Cariaoke
May 6th, 2003, 11:06 PM
*yawn* almost everything I would have said has been said. I think it's pretty sad when some people try to hold on to something that's over. Give it up already and I'd really like it if reporters would stop running up behind former champions like their opinions are the word of God himself. Please... :rolleyes:

1jackson2001
May 6th, 2003, 11:44 PM
um...ok?

Jakeev
May 7th, 2003, 02:00 AM
It amazes me how everytime a former tennis champions makes an opinion about today's game that is negative in our eyes, we immediately jump down their throats and want to kill them.

I guess we are the tennis experts and the pros like Wade don't know what the hell they are talking about.

Do I agree with everything she said? Hell no; but I say the woman has balls and I can only respect her for that.

anton
May 7th, 2003, 02:08 AM
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/articles/4677942?source=Evening%20Standard

Wade: Serena will force Venus to quit
By Kate Battersby, Evening Standard
6 May 2003

Crikey. Virginia Wade is not short of opinions. According to the 1977 Wimbledon champion, Venus Williams will not be around much longer; the Venus-Serena monopoly is "boring"; Anna Kournikova is "a lost cause"; and it is the fault of British players rather than the nation's tennis structure that the next Wade is nowhere in sight. All this before we even get started on the BBC.

Having met her, I cannot now recall why I imagined Wade would be dull and severe. She is 57, incredibly slight by comparison with today's amazon women players, and huge fun. She was 31 when she held aloft the Venus Rosewater Dish in SW19, an age by which she expects competitive tennis to be a whiskery memory for 22-year-old Venus.

"As long as Serena stays fit she will be hard to beat for years, but I don't think Venus will survive long," said Wade. "Venus has realised Serena is better than she is and she's losing heart. If the Williamses continue to monopolise the Grand Slam finals it isn't good news. It's already boring.

"But Venus is still very dedicated to Serena. I was at the Family Circle Cup in the US last month when Justine Henin-Hardenne beat Serena in the final, and apparently Venus rang their mother Oracene in the middle of the match on a mobile phone and said Oracene had to find a way of telling Serena how to win. Obviously, Venus was watching the match on television at home.

"The two sisters do live in this strange little orbit where they feed off each other. Sometimes they can be like puppies, so playful, and at others they don't interact with other people at all. I've had good moments with them and then at other times there's completely nothing, like I'm a stranger.

"Then again, when Martina Hingis was dominating so few years ago I thought that would go on forever. She was such a brilliant player with so many talents - strong mentally, great at getting herself out of problems - and of all the players she was the smartest and most interested in other things outside tennis. She didn't look down her nose at you.

"But then her game went down and became defensive. She wanted to ride horses and party, rather than put her nose to the grindstone and be single-minded.

"Then she embarrassed herself so badly with her behaviour in defeat at the French Open Final against Steffi Graf in 1999, and I thought from then on she never knew how to find a safe outlet for her frustration and anger. That's what I really think forced her out of the game."

Wade was speaking as an ambassador (there really are such things) for next month's International-Championships at Eastbournenow sponsored by motor insurance provider Hastings Direct. The grass court tournament has long been important in the warm-up to Wimbledon. This year's field includes Jennifer Capriati, 2002 champion Chanda Rubin, and the world No67 - Kournikova.

"No, Anna won't come back," said Wade. "She's a lost cause so far as getting her mind together is concerned. She hasn't had a decent coach and just doesn't want to listen. There's an arrogance and bravado about her which stands in her way. It's crazy she hasn't ever won a tournament. She has so much potential.

"I'm curious to see what's going to happen to her now anyway. So far, everything she has earned from being glamorous has been built on the back of her tennis. If she had got herself into the top five in the world, as she was definitely capable of, then she could have continued to go gangbusters on the marketing front. But now everybody has realised she just doesn't cut it on the tennis court, you wonder how long the rest can last."

The BBC will be screening Eastbourne, although at one stage - to Wade's fury - it planned to dump it.

"The BBC said the viewing figures weren't good enough but that was because it was putting it on at 11 and 12 at night," complained Wade. "Meanwhile, it shows all the men's tournament from Queen's day in and day out when frankly it's stupid showing all the early rounds. "Women's tennis is so relegated. The Grand Slam prize money should be equal. It's irrelevant that women don't play five sets. The price of a theatre ticket isn't dictated by how long the play is. Wimbledon is so stuck in a rut."

If any outfit in tennis really requires an ambassador to state its case, it must be the Lawn Tennis Association, always blamed for the dearth of young British players coming into the senior ranks. But Wade insists it is not the LTA's fault.

"The foundation is there," she said. "But I get very despondent listening to good young players. I'd like them to be more brazen. There just isn't a good attitude, and it becomes contagious. Mind you, the LTA could do some instant modernising by dropping the L in LTA. Just call it tennis. You have to get away from that boring, upper middle class element of grey people."

Let no one mistake Virginia Wade for a boring grey person, that's all.

Actaully some body should force Virgina Wade to quit as a tv commentator. She sucks! Her british accent is extremely annoying and her skills as a commentators rival only Chris Evert's (who recently got fired) :rolleyes:

Jakeev
May 7th, 2003, 02:24 AM
Actaully some body should force Virgina Wade to quit as a tv commentator. She sucks! Her british accent is extremely annoying and her skills as a commentators rival only Chris Evert's (who recently got fired) :rolleyes:

Lol Anton, kind of hard for Chris to have gotten fired when she decided to leave broadcasting back in February.

Ya need to stop taking those drugs before you go to bed honey.........

Sam L
May 7th, 2003, 02:31 AM
It amazes me how everytime a former tennis champions makes an opinion about today's game that is negative in our eyes, we immediately jump down their throats and want to kill them.

I guess we are the tennis experts and the pros like Wade don't know what the hell they are talking about.

Do I agree with everything she said? Hell no; but I say the woman has balls and I can only respect her for that.
Great point. The reason why most of the fans don't like former champions is that they have the capability to take the limelight away from their current favorites. More to the point there is often truth behind their comments because they've been there - they know what it's like to have pressure and compete and win slams - and that truth hurts some fans a lot.

That's why they have to disagree (usually with derogatory comments) outright, before even giving some thoughts to what they had to say.

anton
May 7th, 2003, 02:32 AM
Lol Anton, kind of hard for Chris to have gotten fired when she decided to leave broadcasting back in February.

everybody knows that Chirs Evert "spending more time with my family"="i got fired" :rolleyes:

Also I just read that article, well most of it. And Wade said Hingis dominating was "brilllant" but when two Black girls do it, it's "boring" :rolleyes:

If Virginia Wade had any sort of tennis skills she would be training British girls instead of slamming everbody who looks better than her (Anna) or is obviously more talented than her (venus, serena).

And who is she to call Venus and Serena boring? Wade did not set any hearts on fire with her flat a--

selesfan
May 7th, 2003, 02:41 AM
everybody knows that Chirs Evert "spending more time with my family"="i got fired" :rolleyes:

Also I just read that article, well most of it. And Wade said Hingis dominating was "brilllant" but when two Black girls do it, it's "boring" :rolleyes:

If Virginia Wade had any sort of tennis skills she would be training British girls instead of slamming everbody who looks better than her (Anna) or is obviously more talented than her (venus, serena).

And who is she to call Venus and Serena boring? Wade did not set any hearts on fire with her flat a--

I agree! Its funny that she seems so upset that Hingis is not dominating any longer. I also agree she is the worst commentator, she commented on pay tv the in demand station and I can't believe how bad the commentating was. I had the channel free and even though I love tennis, I must admit it was torture to watch the matches.

anton
May 7th, 2003, 02:45 AM
I normally press mute if virginia is commentating

treufreund
May 7th, 2003, 02:51 AM
Virginia is the BOMB!!!! LOVE YA GURL! :hearts:

tennisvideos
May 7th, 2003, 03:04 AM
Good on Ginny for saying her piece. I've met the lady a few times and she's a lot of fun and I enjoy her commentary. I am sure she has a lot more insider information than most of us, so she is able to make certain comments (eg. Venus phoning her mum) with a degree of confidence in it's accuracy.

And why is Ginny supposedly a Williams hater? Just because she finds all Williams finals boring? How ridiculous is that. I find those matchups boring too. Doesn't mean I don't like them. In fact I love watching either of the Williams sisters when they play anyone but themselves. I just don't believe they bring out the best in each other and you don't have the same killer instincts coming forth. Ginny must get pissed off when they ignore her. LOL. That would rankle anyone former tennis star I am sure.

Anyway, I love it when former tennis players give their take on the state of today's game. It provides us with an interesting insight from someone who has been there and done that, and is far more valid (IMO) than comments coming from most of us.

darren cahill
May 7th, 2003, 03:07 AM
great post Craig...i was gonna say pretty much the same thing but was too chicken shit...now i'll agree with you and run and hide! :devil:

tennisvideos
May 7th, 2003, 03:14 AM
Darren - LMAO!

anton
May 7th, 2003, 03:26 AM

does that include xanex? :D

Dawn Marie
May 7th, 2003, 03:40 AM
Hold up here, Miss Virgie Wade.. Why is she targeting Venus because Serena is winning and #1? Uh hello does this mean that the entire wta tour will also feel like the way VENUS IS SUPPOSEDLY to feel as well? Why is Venus held to a higher standard according to Virgie? the way I see it Venus has made it to some slam finals.. and the other players..........?!?! Well they have not. She thinks that Venus is getting hurt cause of Serena winning?!?! She is nuts! Venus has always stated that Serena is the better player! So what that does not mean that Venus still can't beat her or even still win slams. Serena will not win every slam in the next 4 years.
Anyone in their right tennis mind knows that Venus is highly competitive. She just won the first set from Momo on clay 7/6.. wtf .. Virgina has lost the plot.

Virgina needs to get a good lay, maybe she'll relax then. She seems so uptight about the WTA tour.

And for the millionth time.. if yah dont like seeing two sisters battle it out on the court then change the freakin channel.. cause u sure can't change history!

gokimmmy1884
May 7th, 2003, 03:43 AM
Hold up here, Miss Virgie Wade.. Why is she targeting Venus because Serena is winning and #1? Uh hello does this mean that the entire wta tour will also feel like the way VENUS IS SUPPOSEDLY to feel as well? Why is Venus held to a higher standard according to Virgie? the way I see it Venus has made it to some slam finals.. and the other players..........?!?! Well they have not. She thinks that Venus is getting hurt cause of Serena winning?!?! She is nuts! Venus has always stated that Serena is the better player! So what that does not mean that Venus still can't beat her or even still win slams. Serena will not win every slam in the next 4 years.
Anyone in their right tennis mind knows that Venus is highly competitive. She just won the first set from Momo on clay 7/6.. wtf .. Virgina has lost the plot.

Virgina needs to get a good lay, maybe she'll relax then. She seems so uptight about the WTA tour.

And for the millionth time.. if yah dont like seeing two sisters battle it out on the court then change the freakin channel.. cause u sure can't change history!

I have not seen Virgina on TV...

Midnite Surfer
May 7th, 2003, 03:50 AM
To say Venus and Serena are boring and bad for tennis is incredibly idiotic. One just needs to take a look at ratings, attendance, retail sales blah, blah, blah. What a bunch of manure. These past players and current players need to get on their kness and thank the fucking Williams sisters as prize money goes up along with respect from the sporting world in general.

Dawn Marie
May 7th, 2003, 03:56 AM
Some people just can't get used to the "image", there is not just one out there but two and it still freaks them out. To better deal with their feelings they claim "boredom"..MOST of the time.:)

anton
May 7th, 2003, 04:04 AM
Some people just can't get used to the "image", there is not just one out there but two and it still freaks them out. To better deal with their feelings they claim "boredom"..MOST of the time.:)

Why didn't Virginia complain when Seles and Graf were winning everything? :confused:

anton
May 7th, 2003, 04:24 AM
I forgot to say (unless she means during a rain dealy) this article insinuates that Brandi Williams was going to give Serena illiegal coaching to help her turn the match around against Justine. :confused:

persond
May 7th, 2003, 04:29 AM
:cool: However, I don't have to "agree" with her opinions!!! If, I remember correctly, I use to get "bored" watching some of Wades' matches. Although, I didn't really watch and concern myself with women's tennis until the days of Lori and Zina, I found Martina N. quite entertaining. I enjoyed Chrissy too, but, Wade...???? Maybe it was because she wasn't American that I didn't take to her.

Anytime the question of whether or not the Sisters tennis is boring comes up, I think to myself, what about when Navarotalova, Chrissy, Graf and Seles dominated. Where were all the "bored asses" then???? No need to answer, I already know the answer!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

anton
May 7th, 2003, 04:34 AM
i agree. and it is not Venus and Serena's problem is England can't produce any tennis stars to cure Virgina's "boredom"

LucasArg
May 7th, 2003, 04:41 AM
oh whatever

same here :)

Dawn Marie
May 7th, 2003, 06:41 AM
U know what they say, If you complain of boredom that means you're a BORING person!

Why is this women bitching about the WTA women anyway? Hell then don't watch them play. Oh well hell since we're stating our opinions let me state mine.

Virgina Wade you are a piss poor British tennis commentator. No one in your country is promising of winning Wimbeldon. You are sorry, because your influence and experience is too be desired. It's been years since you turned out a champion. Jane O'DonaWHO?

Ok ok, Jane is sweet but I feel like stating opinions. I hope Virgina Wade is reading this? Doesn't she post in here by the way;):)

King Lindsay
May 7th, 2003, 06:47 AM
Why didn't Virginia complain when Seles and Graf were winning everything? :confused:

Maybe she did?

anton
May 7th, 2003, 06:54 AM
Maybe she did?

no I think she thought they were "brilliant".

the_ancyent_m
May 7th, 2003, 07:11 AM
Remember BJK? Wade is just another has-been who wants to stir the cauldron.:rolleyes: First it was Jenn to be bashed by BJK, and now it is Venus' turn. No one will be spared :p

Jakeev
May 7th, 2003, 07:23 AM
does that include xanex? :D

don't forget your valium too........oh in second thought....keep the valium........

anton
May 7th, 2003, 07:29 AM
don't forget your valium too........oh in second thought....keep the valium........

how do you know so much about drugs?

JonBcn
May 7th, 2003, 07:42 AM
What Jakeev said.

I dont agree with everything Aunt Ginny said, but I respect her opinion, as someone who's been around this sport far longer than I have; longer than I've even been alive.

It makes me laugh how people on here will not ever accept any form of criticism of their favourites, no matter whether its informed opinion, conjecture, fact or fiction.

They're people, thats all.

I dont want to turn this into a Williams thing (Wade was commenting on several top players, and only the comments on Williamses have been picked up on), but if people think tennis has never been criticised for being boring before they are wrong. I remember it Martina and Chris when I first started watching the game, then Steffi and Monica, then Hingis, now the Williamses. In a few years it'll be someone else.