PDA

View Full Version : Easy German Open Start for Champ Henin-Hardenne

tennisIlove09
May 6th, 2003, 07:49 PM
Easy German Open Start for Champ Henin-Hardenne
Tue May 6, 2003 12:38 PM ET
By Patrick Vignal
BERLIN (Reuters) - Justine Henin-Hardenne started the defense of her German Open title with an easy 6-4, 6-1 win over Czech Daja Bedanova on Tuesday.

The 20-year-old Belgian, who had a bye into the second round of the $1.2 million claycourt tournament, returned superbly to move past her unseeded opponent in 74 minutes.

World number four Henin-Hardenne, who is seeded third but took the second spot in the draw after Venus Williams withdrew with an injury, was never in trouble after she grabbed a break with a forehand winner in the seventh game of the first set.

The second set was a one-sided affair with world number 44 Bedanova, also 20, losing five games before she managed to break Henin-Hardenne's serve, only to be broken again in the next game when she made an unforced error on the first match point.

"I didn't play my best tennis but I played quite well and I'm satisfied," said Henin-Hardenne. "The first match in a tournament is always tough because you don't know what to expect but it's good to be back here."

Two-times German Open champion Conchita Martinez of Spain made an early exit on Tuesday, falling in straight sets to local favorite Marlene Weingaertner in a first-round match.

Weingaertner delighted her home fans with a 6-2, 7-5 victory over the 1994 Wimbledon champion, who looked only the shadow of the player who won the Berlin event in 1998 and 2000.

The tournament is being used by 14 of the world's top 20 players as preparation for the French Open starting on May 26.

Belgium's Kim Clijsters, who heads the draw, starts the tournament on Wednesday.

King Lindsay
May 6th, 2003, 07:55 PM
Well, I think conchita's loss can be partially excused due to her recent injury problems and layoff.

I also think Henin will win this title again.

fleemke³
May 6th, 2003, 08:07 PM
I hope Justine wins the title again ;)

Wimanna
May 6th, 2003, 08:08 PM
I hope Justine wins the title again ;)

x2 ;)

jenny161185
May 6th, 2003, 10:03 PM
If Justine plays Kim it would be great(if Justine does nt choke)