PDA

View Full Version : TENNIS FANS: Have you had good (or bad)experiences talking to/taking pics of players?

MarcusRock
May 6th, 2003, 03:31 PM
Share them here.

I think you all know the cool experience I had with Els Callens down at Amelia Island (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?threadid=65889) a few weeks ago so she'd rank number 1 in my book. Honorable mentions to Corina Morariu (short and pleasant conversation) Paola Suarez (always smiles for my pics) and Clarissa Fernandez (was happy to stop and pose for a pic).

Can't say I've had a bad player experience but I will say that Jelena Dokic has never even looked at me when I've asked to take a pic of her so I wind up just snapping the pic of the side of her face anyway.

What about you guys and gals' experiences?

AjdeNate!
May 6th, 2003, 03:48 PM
1996 Chicago. I showed Monica my car license plate (says "Seles" on it), my tattoo (says "Seles"), and told her I've been following her since Apr 89. She was so surprised. She hugged me and signed 2 autographs for me. And let my friend take a picture of me and her together. We talked about a lot of things for about - like travelling on tour and music. It was a one-on-one thing. We hugged again, and then she pecked me on the cheek with a nice little smooch. She said she hopes to see me again and talk more. She said it was so nice to meet someone so down to earth and not so crazy.

(Inside I was jumping for joy and seriously about pissing myself, but outside I was cool under pressure). :)

It was 10 minutes in my life that I will NEVER forget.

I also met in 1993 Chicago/2002 Paris, but never had the one-on-one experience I had in 96.

AjdeNate!
May 6th, 2003, 03:52 PM
Mauresmo is really nice too. I got photo w/her and she pecked me on my cheek too. We talked for a couple (maybe 3) mins. I told her I came to Paris from Chicago, and hoped she did well. She told me that she wants to see Chicago on vacation and asked me what to see. Quick, but she was a peach. :)

E. Blackadder
May 6th, 2003, 03:54 PM
Gala Leon-Garcia is also very nice! Too bad she just lost, but she still kept her smile and friendlyness :)

White Stripes
May 6th, 2003, 03:56 PM
i already got 2 pics with jen capriati and she was nice both times! the first time she was in a hurry a bit but the second time she was very relaxed.

i got one pic with mary pierce and she was very friendly,too!

but arantxa was so great. i asked her for a pic. she said that she just had to go insinde but would be back very soon. she came out 2 minutes later and signed autographs for us, took pics with us and was very very friendly!

Spirit
May 6th, 2003, 04:00 PM
It was 10 minutes in my life that I will NEVER forget.

All right, that does it. Moderators, we need a jealousy icon! This isn't the first time I've needed one. The best I can do is a weird combination:

:eek: :mad: :sad: :hearts:

And no, I can't design it. I'm crap at that.

Keith
May 6th, 2003, 04:01 PM
Seles...you have a tattoo that has her name on you? I would freak...but hey, that's cool!

Rainer Schuettler was, by far the nicest guy. When I asked for a pic of him, he told someone else to take the picture and put his arm around me...he was very nice and accomodating. Later that year, Rainer's "coach" said if I gave him the picture, he would have Rainer sign it...but I didn't have it with me. Just a very pleasant experience with Rainer, and I was really happy he did so well in Australia, because he truly is a good guy!

Jan Michael Gambill was really nice, too. I said, "Lift up your shirt" while he was practicing and he did, but he just swept his brow with the shirt...yummy abs...he seemed really nice and he called across to renee stubbs and saud, "hey stubbsy, keep your balls in your own court, ok!"

cooolconchita
May 6th, 2003, 04:21 PM
I met Conchita at Wimbledon a few years back after she had just won 6-1 6-0 against Farina! :) Needless to say she was in a great mood, stopped and chatted for a few minutes, but I was a total plank and just acted awe-struck, she signed my programme for me and breezed off... :drool:

Also, Greg Rusedski was really nice, in a Monica stylee, he signed autographs for everyone.

Looking forward to hopefully meeting Clarissa and Roddick at Edgbaston and Nottingham this year and at Wimbledon - who knows?? :)

TS
May 6th, 2003, 04:26 PM
I don't really approach many players but the ones I do (usually a fave, duh) I always have nice experiences...obviously due to my great charm ;)

Spirit
May 6th, 2003, 04:30 PM
Share them here.

Does this include the times they've shown up at our house or called us on the phone?

AjdeNate!
May 6th, 2003, 04:40 PM
Seles...you have a tattoo that has her name on you? I would freak...but hey, that's cool!

Yes, I do. Most of my friends just roll their eyes... but on my left ankle in a beautiful script is "Seles". She really liked it. Hitting her with the combo of Seles on the license plate and Seles on the ankle,...she was very amused and genuinely touched by the whole thing. I explained to her that her strength gave me strength to get thru a very dark period in my life. That's when she hugged me. After we were done talking I turned around and started to blackout. I remember crying my eyes out after I left the stadium, I was so ecstatic.

Is Rainer as cute in person as he appears to be on tv?

Keith
May 6th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Yes, I do. Most of my friends just roll their eyes... but on my left ankle in a beautiful script is "Seles". She really liked it. Hitting her with the combo of Seles on the license plate and Seles on the ankle,...she was very amused and genuinely touched by the whole thing. I explained to her that her strength gave me strength to get thru a very dark period in my life. That's when she hugged me. After we were done talking I turned around and started to blackout. I remember crying my eyes out after I left the stadium, I was so ecstatic.

Is Rainer as cute in person as he appears to be on tv?

I think that is cool! Monica seemed very in touch with what you said, that was nice.

Rainer is cute in person! He is just so nice, too. I was a bit smitten with him!

fleemkeģ
May 6th, 2003, 05:07 PM
I have a bad one with Kim Clijsters ...

In Antwerp last year she was giving a signature session (?) and at the end there were only +/- 20 peopole who were waiting to take a picture of her with a fan, most of them were kids. Wel they asked her to do that and she refused it ... ok it seems not that bad to you but there were only 20 people and if you saw the disappointed faces of those kids :sad:

Justine was very kind to me in Rosmalen, Elena Dementieva, Maleeva and Marrero! Pouchek was a real bitch and didn't want on the picture after her match :rolleyes: and she was pretty rude ...

I'm curious for next week when I'll be in rome :) hopefully the players would be nice to me :o:o:cool:

Beat
May 6th, 2003, 05:17 PM
Also, Greg Rusedski was really nice

say whaaaaaaat???? :eek: ;)

AjdeNate!
May 6th, 2003, 05:22 PM
ok...seles? i'm worried for you... :confused:
Don't be, she really enjoyed it. And now I have something to reference when I send her birthday and Christmas cards. Trust me, that was a fan meeting that she will most likely not forget. :)

bis2806
May 6th, 2003, 05:25 PM
I explained to her that her strength gave me strength to get thru a very dark period in my life. That's when she hugged me. After we were done talking I turned around and started to blackout. I remember crying my eyes out after I left the stadium, I was so ecstatic.
aww.... :kiss:

MarcusRock
May 6th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Does this include the times they've shown up at our house or called us on the phone?Nah. Save those experiences for my "Have you ever been intimate* with your fave?" thread coming soon. ;)

*by initmate, I mean things like holding a tissue to their face as they blow their nose or something like that ;)

Mark43
May 6th, 2003, 06:10 PM
Billie Jean King was the biggest bitch to me in July 1981. She screamed at me in the Oakland Colusieum before a World Team tennis match. Also Navratilova told me off in the same venue in 1993.

The nicest player I ever met was Renee Richards in 1978 during a WTT match in Oakland. She actually took the time to talk to me and my sister while she signed autographs. She asked questions and was very kind.

Otherwise it is very difficult to get a player to stop and talk. They have to keep moving as they sign or they will be stuck in the same place for ages signing and getting mobbed.

Others who have been nice...Seles, Shriver, Corretja, ASV, McEnroe ( :eek: ) and Hantuchova.

matija-seles
May 6th, 2003, 06:45 PM
I was at the J&S Cup and Maggie Maleeva was very nice. It is the photo which I have taken with her:
http://republika.pl/seles/Maleeva.jpg

Kuti Kis&Monica
May 6th, 2003, 06:51 PM
I've a lots of good experiences. Monica is, as you said it, really nice.
I've met her last year at the Open Gaz de France, took picture with her and i, and as i had an press accreditation, it was more easy for me to talk to her. It was the first time that i was talking to her, and she's so cool. It was only 5 minutes, but even today, i'm still in shock :)
At the end she asked me if i really were a journalist and i answered "No, of course", and she was smiling by saying "Ok i've noticed it!" :D :D
I saw her again in roland Garros, showed to her the picture at the end of the match against Rittner, and she said that we were looking great. There were too much people to talk more, but it's and incredible feeling to hear Monica Seles saying to you "See you later"! :D I'm really excitedt o see her again in RG :bounce:
Seles, were you at the Open Gaz or In Roland Garros last year? I remember an American guy (or 2) who were waiting for her and who gave her a present after her match vs Schett. She seemed to know them.Was it you? :confused:

Other players with my experience:
Nice:
Rita Kuti Kis, so friendly and talkative, can't wait to see her in action in RG :hearts:
Jelena Dokic, really great
Marat Safin ( thanks to him to give me every year some tickets :bounce: )
Juan Carlos Ferrero and family + ALL spanish players, male or female.

Bad :(
Chanda Rubin, is not nice at all
Lleyton Hewitt
Nathalie Tauziat
and surely a lots more that i will remember and post them :angel:

AjdeNate!
May 6th, 2003, 06:53 PM
I was at Open Gaz de France...and I did give her a present after the Schett match. A red & pink teddy bear and a card.

*JR*
May 6th, 2003, 06:55 PM
Hmmmm........ :confused:

Kuti Kis&Monica
May 6th, 2003, 07:01 PM
Hey Seles that's we can call a coincidence!! :)
I remember about it, because i talked to her just a few minutes before she left out of the stadium, and when i came out just a few seconds after it, i had see you giving this present. She was really looking great with her blue hat! :bounce: When i'll have a scanner, will try to send you pics :)

AjdeNate!
May 6th, 2003, 08:11 PM
Cool, thanks! I remember her dark blue running pants not being zipped up at the foot, flaring out making look like bellbottom pants. :)

Keith
May 6th, 2003, 08:13 PM
Billie Jean King was the biggest bitch to me in July 1981. She screamed at me in the Oakland Colusieum before a World Team tennis match. Also Navratilova told me off in the same venue in 1993.

The nicest player I ever met was Renee Richards in 1978 during a WTT match in Oakland. She actually took the time to talk to me and my sister while she signed autographs. She asked questions and was very kind.

Otherwise it is very difficult to get a player to stop and talk. They have to keep moving as they sign or they will be stuck in the same place for ages signing and getting mobbed.

Others who have been nice...Seles, Shriver, Corretja, ASV, McEnroe ( :eek: ) and Hantuchova.

I find it HARD to believe that big bad billie would ever just suddenly become a bitch?!!?!? ;) Nav was a bitch to a friend of mine in Sarasota. ,

paul_masterton
May 6th, 2003, 08:30 PM
all Challenger players are lovely :)

Leena
May 6th, 2003, 09:13 PM
Elena Bovina was very nice the two times I met her. She put her arm around me for a picture with us, and she's very VERY talkative. Lena's just like a normal 20-year-old... she's crazy and fun. :)

spinner99
May 6th, 2003, 09:25 PM
all Challenger players are lovely
I agree, i find them so much better then the players that play on the WTA tour. They just stand around and chat away to you. Its not like they have got much more to do with their time :rolleyes: ........

earthcrystal
May 6th, 2003, 09:52 PM
I have several great ones.

Monica. I won't rehash all my old stories, but let's just say I've gotten several "pecks" over the years, (a friend snapped a pic of one time); and have 3 other photos with her. :)

Amelie: My hubby snapped a pic of her giving me a high five after beating Kim at USO last year.

Elena D @ MSG 2000 after beating Linds. She was so shy...and happy. I got stuck by the mob of fans at the rail, so I squatted down so she could sign autographs, and talked to her from there. Have a great pic from that angle, she thought it was funny.

Only bad experience was with Venus way back, early on. (I'm over it now, btw, so please don't make a big deal). L.A., don't remember which year. Venus was watching Serena play and I was rooting for Serena (one empty seat away from V). 2nd set, changeover, I asked Venus: "Do you mind if I take a photo?" Her reply: "Yes I do." And then she turned away. I was stunned speechless, since I'd thought I was being polite by asking instead of just snapping away. The thing that really made it hurt, was later on I saw another woman ask (outside the stadium) and Venus posed with her and a group of friends. (All African American). Needless to say, it took me a little time to warm up to her after that. *shrug* Must've caught her at a bad moment, or something. ;)

Jesquimaux
May 6th, 2003, 10:06 PM
Bad :(
Chanda Rubin, is not nice at all
Lleyton Hewitt
Nathalie Tauziat
and surely a lots more that i will remember and post them :angel:

OMG, You had a bad encounter with Miss Rubin! :eek: Do tell what happened :confused: ......chanda

faboozadoo15
May 6th, 2003, 10:15 PM
u guys are really something! i had no idea this many people had met top players... let alone their favs... how do you do it? well i guess i won't ever really know because the only tournament i can go to until i graduate from nyu is the us open. i'm going this year for only the second time (only my frist year living in new york... i NEVER passed it up...).

so, in essence, how do u do it? autograph sessions? that it? it seems like some people go to the practice sessions, but how do you find out what court they are on or when?

lol, i am not trying to become a stalker! it's just that i really would like to meet just one of them or something. any suggestions?

Spirit
May 6th, 2003, 10:22 PM
any suggestions?

Get a tattoo.

AjdeNate!
May 6th, 2003, 10:23 PM
STALKING 101: Spend alllllllllllll day at the tennis center. Get there when the doors open and stay all day. Don't stay only on show courts. Make sure to check in at practice and outer courts. If you see anyone with a credential...like grounds people, ask them where your fave may be. The WTA Tour usually has autograph sessions and stuff like that to do. Get to those plenty earlier, the lines form long and fast for the top players. Always have a pen and your camera with you at ALL times.

AjdeNate!
May 6th, 2003, 10:24 PM
Get a tattoo.
lol!! Too true!

joaco
May 6th, 2003, 10:58 PM
:eek: @ Seles!

I had about the greatest time talking to Gabriela ( ;) ) Just kidding, I asked her if I could get a picture with her and she said "Sure. No problem" She passed her arm round my back (did the same to her) and I was speechless. Just could not say ANYTHING!! Has it ever happened to you? The "freezing" moment in front of a player.... Then I thanked her and she gave me the most beautiful smile ever.
I cannot find the picture... I posted it some time ago, wish I could find it :mad: think I deleted it....

Wish I could ever meet Lindsay... I know I will one day

Joaco

Kuti Kis&Monica
May 6th, 2003, 11:03 PM
OMG you had a bad encounter with miss Rubin :eek: do tell what happened :confused: ...chanda
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, i was really surprised at all by her attitude. It was last year in Roland Garros.She was going to practice with his coach, they were walking quietly through the Stadium until the court. I've asked her for picture, and she answered that she didn't have time enough, very rude.
If it would have stopped there, ok, no problem, she has the right to have good or bad mood, or to concentrate before her practice session.
But after, i was behind her, and walking through the stadium with a friend to go to see who was practicing. Chanda and her coach looked at me twice, and she said to her coach something that i didn't hear. He came to me and said "When Chanda says no, do you know what it means?" I was so shocked :eek: I just politely answered that i was just going to see some practices and i went away, didn't want to go in front of problems. They believed that i was following them. I really didn't appreciate this attitude. :mad:

Caz
May 6th, 2003, 11:30 PM
Good experiences:

ASV - She would do just about anything for her fans.
Patricia Tarabini is really nice and very talkative! (Right, Bea?!? ;))
Magüi has always been great too.

Other exceptionally nice players: Vivi Ruano, Nuria Llagostera, Rennae Stubbs, (ironically, she is really lovely off court, to her fans).

The only time I ever met Nathalie Tauziat, she was also nice to me.

Bad experiences:

Tim Henman, (I'm not even a fan, but I once tried to get his autograph for my mum, who is a big fan of his and he just ignored everyone).
Boris Becker, (years ago now, at the tournament in Roehampton, just before Wimbledon, he refused to sign autographs for anyone).

Cam'ron Giles
May 6th, 2003, 11:31 PM
I must have posted this about a thousand times but I just think it's about the best experience a fan of any tennis player can have regarding their fave...
I attended the 2000 Pilot pen with another poster on this board and stayed in the same hotel as the players (we knew we were gonna have ball when we entered the lobby and saw the players laundry tagged and laying in bags on a table LOL). We ran into every one. The Hotel in New Haven is adjacent to a mall so we even saw them in the mall. My favourite experience by far was getting off the elevator on the afternoon of the semi between Venus and Amanda Coetzer and saw Venus standing in the empty lobby by herself on the house phone...I just kept saying to myself, go talk to her but please keep it togather (non of the same old bull shit "I am your biggest fan...:rolleyes: )so she wont run and scream bloddy murder...I walked over to her and just struck up a conversation...People say she is unaproacable and I could tell that she was already getting into her zone but she was VERY warm...The last thing I said to her was "beat her down 6-0 6-0 for me OK" and she bust out laughing and said "I dont know"...It was just so sweet...That night, I remember thinking that at that very moment, Venus is in the same building as I, we are using the same water and our waste was going to the same place...I can see, a Venus turd meets a TopShotta turd... :hearts:

Oh yeah, I met Monica on the checkout line the next morning, took a pic with her and she was sweet, then she went to play the final against Venus...The thing is though, Monica held up the line questioning every thing on her bill while flasing the Amex Platinum... :eek:

Amanda was a bitch...she was reserved and stuck up, Venus blew her ass off the court...

Lisa and Renee was so sweet, we took a group picture and I lied to Lisa saying I hoped she make the Olympic team... :devil: Then I lied to her and Renee by screaming loud, "the best doubs team in the world" and their coach was like "damn right"...they were definatly a couple...Lisa the girl and Renee the UBER BUTCH... :p

Cam'ron Giles
May 6th, 2003, 11:32 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot, I screwed half the top ten and BJK and Anna K last week...:hearts:

LisaRaymond
May 7th, 2003, 12:44 AM
Lisa and Renee was so sweet, we took a group picture and I lied to Lisa saying I hoped she make the Olympic team... :devil: Then I lied to her and Renee by screaming loud, "the best doubs team in the world"

You lied?!?!?! :fiery: Well I feel really used now! ;)

Cam'ron Giles
May 7th, 2003, 01:04 AM
You lied?!?!?! :fiery: Well I feel really used now! ;)

:hearts: :kiss:

MarcusRock
May 7th, 2003, 03:59 AM
u guys are really something! i had no idea this many people had met top players... let alone their favs... how do you do it? well i guess i won't ever really know because the only tournament i can go to until i graduate from nyu is the us open. i'm going this year for only the second time (only my frist year living in new york... i NEVER passed it up...).

so, in essence, how do u do it? autograph sessions? that it? it seems like some people go to the practice sessions, but how do you find out what court they are on or when?

lol, i am not trying to become a stalker! it's just that i really would like to meet just one of them or something. any suggestions?If you're going to the US Open and going to watch outer court (numbered court) matches, I would say to learn the grounds and locate the player locker rooms/lounge area. Once you know where those are, you can pretty much map out the route players will take from those outer courts back to the locker rooms/lounge once their matches are done. Same goes for their routes to these courts. Unless you're super apprehensive, you're guaranteed good pictures and an autograph if you want. Also, like Seles said, keep your camera out at all times. Players walk around the grounds all the time and if you aren't ready, you'll miss out. The big name players will be harder to come by because they're on show courts all the time but if a player you like is playing an outer court match, you shouldn't be disappointed. It's better to ask for pics and autographs after their matches. It also helps if they win their match too ;) Good luck.

faboozadoo15
May 7th, 2003, 04:14 AM
thanks, marcus. lol, i must have spread out the reputation enough to give u some more. so personel at the tournament may know when a certain player may be practicing too? that's pretty cool. i'd imagine all of monica's matches will be on ashe, and the best chance to see her up close would be this way... agree?

tenn_ace
May 7th, 2003, 04:24 AM
I had plenty of good experiences: Magui, Justine, Martina H. and N., Serena, Jenn, Iva, Tax Garbin, etc.

and only had two bad experiences: Black and Tanasugarn.

Jesquimaux
May 7th, 2003, 04:58 AM
I had plenty of good experiences: Magui, Justine, Martina H. and N., Serena, Jenn, Iva, Tax Garbin, etc.

and only had two bad experiences: Black and Tanasugarn.

omg, what'd tammy do :eek:

Jesquimaux
May 7th, 2003, 05:04 AM
OMG you had a bad encounter with miss Rubin :eek: do tell what happened :confused: ...chanda
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, i was really surprised at all by her attitude. It was last year in Roland Garros.She was going to practice with his coach, they were walking quietly through the Stadium until the court. I've asked her for picture, and she answered that she didn't have time enough, very rude.
If it would have stopped there, ok, no problem, she has the right to have good or bad mood, or to concentrate before her practice session.
But after, i was behind her, and walking through the stadium with a friend to go to see who was practicing. Chanda and her coach looked at me twice, and she said to her coach something that i didn't hear. He came to me and said "When Chanda says no, do you know what it means?" I was so shocked :eek: I just politely answered that i was just going to see some practices and i went away, didn't want to go in front of problems. They believed that i was following them. I really didn't appreciate this attitude. :mad:

omg.....I'm gonna cry now :sad: ....and change my avatar , and change my signature , and get a new favorite :fiery:

MarcusRock
May 7th, 2003, 05:11 AM
thanks, marcus. lol, i must have spread out the reputation enough to give u some more. so personel at the tournament may know when a certain player may be practicing too? that's pretty cool. i'd imagine all of monica's matches will be on ashe, and the best chance to see her up close would be this way... agree?Yup. Pretty much.

Cam'ron Giles
May 7th, 2003, 05:37 AM
No way...the grand slams are not good venues to meet your faves...the smaller tourneys are more intimate and you get thisclose to the players...I doubt I would have stayed in the same hotel as the players at a grand slam event...But in New Haven, the choices of hotels are so few that you might just end up in the same hotel as them...:D

DutchieGirl
May 7th, 2003, 06:16 AM
Patty Schnyder's always nice when I see her. Amanda Coetzer is nice - but she doesn't like to talk much!

Elke Clijsters is really fun, and Jana Cabak too (she's an Aussie player) I met them both at a challenger tournament, and they are both really nice! :D

moby
May 7th, 2003, 11:46 AM
my worse experience was a non-experience

i've never met martina hingis :sad:

baleineau
May 7th, 2003, 12:19 PM
Share them here.

I think you all know the cool experience I had with Els Callens down at Amelia Island (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?threadid=65889) a few weeks ago so she'd rank number 1 in my book. Honorable mentions to Corina Morariu (short and pleasant conversation) Paola Suarez (always smiles for my pics) and Clarissa Fernandez (was happy to stop and pose for a pic).

Can't say I've had a bad player experience but I will say that Jelena Dokic has never even looked at me when I've asked to take a pic of her so I wind up just snapping the pic of the side of her face anyway.

What about you guys and gals' experiences?

In 1991: I got an autograph and pic from arantxa at Fed Cup, Nottingham, England. I didn't realise at the time, but she took my pen, but remembered it was mine and came back to me. Cute. Conchita was friendly too, as was Capriati. Jana was rude, but she'd just lost 8-6 in the third to Mary Joe.

In 1993 I got Pam's autograph. She was outside the stadium, peeping into centre court at birmingham. She was flattered when I went up to her and asked for her autograph.

Last year, I got Rita Grande's autograph at Birmingham. We didn't cat, but she smiled nicely and signed a smilie face and "ciao" on the photo.

Jelena Dokic was very nice. She gave me an autograph and a picture. And she apologised for ruining my fountain pen - she thought it was biro and scratched too hard.

Magui Serna was nice, even though she had just had a disappointing loss.

I chatted to Jill Craybas, briefly, but just to wish her luck for her next round. She was nice, and again seem flattered that someone recognised her / cared about her.

Birmingham's a nice intimate tournament for photos/autographs.

MarcusRock
May 7th, 2003, 03:26 PM
No way...the grand slams are not good venues to meet your faves...the smaller tourneys are more intimate and you get thisclose to the players...I doubt I would have stayed in the same hotel as the players at a grand slam event...But in New Haven, the choices of hotels are so few that you might just end up in the same hotel as them...:DOh I agree with you. I was just suggesting what he should do since he's going to the US Open. But yeah, the smaller tournies are the best. Amelia Island was good for this, plus the grounds are excellent.

Leena
May 7th, 2003, 04:49 PM
If you're going to the US Open and going to watch outer court (numbered court) matches, I would say to learn the grounds and locate the player locker rooms/lounge area. Once you know where those are, you can pretty much map out the route players will take from those outer courts back to the locker rooms/lounge once their matches are done. Same goes for their routes to these courts. Unless you're super apprehensive, you're guaranteed good pictures and an autograph if you want. Also, like Seles said, keep your camera out at all times. Players walk around the grounds all the time and if you aren't ready, you'll miss out. The big name players will be harder to come by because they're on show courts all the time but if a player you like is playing an outer court match, you shouldn't be disappointed. It's better to ask for pics and autographs after their matches. It also helps if they win their match too ;) Good luck.
It's easier just to have "connections" with the players. :)

Tratree
May 7th, 2003, 05:21 PM
1. Don't ask players before practices or before a match. They will rarely stop and sign. They are much more inclined to do so after a practice or match. Be wary of approaching someone after they lose, but some players actually do sign even after a loss.

2. Have your stuff ready...don't make them wait or you will lose out.

3. Walk with them....they don't want to get pinned in by a crowd.

4. Ask nicely :)

5. If you get stuck in a big crowd, stick whatever you want signed out there...they're usually good about moving around and making sure everything gets signed.

6. DO NOT call them by the wrong name....bad move.

7. Scout your locations....notice where they came from and most likely where they will return after practice, etc.

8. Make friends with the security and you're less likely to be pushed out of the way. Saying "Hi" and a smile as you pass them goes a long way.

Tennis124
May 7th, 2003, 05:39 PM
The best place to meet them is by the practice courts and the entrance to the clubhouse. On the side of Arthur Ashe stadium, by the Aorangi pavillion, and by the ramp that leads under Court Suzanne Lenglen are the best places to get autographs with players at the US, Wimbledon, and French respectively.

I've had so many incredible encounters in the past 10 years.

The best have to be Lilia Osterloh and Tracy Singian. The experiences I've had with them you wouldn't believe me if I told you. So I won't.

Sabine Appelmans, is also very very friendly. She was so nice to me at New Haven and the US Open in 1999. She called me her good luck charm and gave me her wristband. But not so nice at Wimbledon 2000. I was a bit disappointed with that.

Mary Joe Fernandez took a pic with me, but she doesn't chat. She's very quiet. Always signs autographs.

Maggie Maleeva will ALWAYS stop.

Gigi Fernandez was friendly.

Renata Kolbovic, soooo nice.

Capriati, Coetzer, Pierce, Hingis, Kournikova, Davenport, Agassi, etc, all sign. They are pretty gracious to compliments.

Pam Shriver signed once but was annoyed about it.

McEnroe will completely ignore you, like you don't even exist.

The only very bad experiences I have had involve Venus and Serena. I was one of 3 people asking for an autograph and they refused. Then another time, I saw a girl, must have been 7 or 8. Ask for an autograph from Venus after she won a mixed doubles match at the US Open. There was no one else around asking, and she said "No, I'm sorry"

Rocketta
May 7th, 2003, 06:21 PM
I've never taken a photo with a player and I don't really want to. I don't care for autographs so there goes the need to talk to them. :) I do however, carry a long lens and find strategic spots to sit with my camera forever moving around the venue. Also, I'm not partial to front on head shots so most of my shots are from the side almost front kinda shots.

My preferences work well with my introvertedness, no? :p or is my introvertedness the reason for my prefences?? :eek: