PDA

View Full Version : Monica's Popularity

CondiLicious
May 6th, 2003, 12:51 PM
I just read this at another messageboard about Monica:

LoL how different Monica is viewed outside of the U.s., you'll maybe find two people in the u.s. that would openly admit to liking her...I dont hate her, as for looks, if monica lost some weight she'd be stunning.

Is that true? Have I been walking around in a deluded bubble the best part of a decade? I always thought she was real popular in the US??? :confused:

irma
May 6th, 2003, 12:56 PM
well I already know in one second more then 4 americans who are openly monica fans so no it's not true;)

baleineau
May 6th, 2003, 01:02 PM
i have a good USA friend (Washington) who admits liking Monica. Some other fans (Europe) confessed to liking Monica as well.

F-R-E-A-K
May 6th, 2003, 01:20 PM
Ummm fortunately that rumour is TOTALLY FAKE!... Monica is very popular in the U.S and iinfact all around the world... and the majority of fans which id assume would be in the 1,000's or Millions are happily admiting that Monica is a favourite for them without a doubt.

In America Monica is another America's Sweetheart after what has happened to her and how nice, grateful and pleasent she really is!

We love you Monica!!!

Spirit
May 6th, 2003, 02:15 PM
i have a good USA friend (Washington) who admits liking Monica. Some other fans (Europe) confessed to liking Monica as well.

"Admits?" "Confessed?"

Is liking Monica a crime? I mean, liking Britney Spears is something you would "confess" to, but come on! This is Monica!

And she didn't win the "WTA Hero of the Year" award last year by being unpopular.

Spirit: Monica fan and proud of it. :cool:

miranda_lou
May 6th, 2003, 03:32 PM
What do you mean by "popular"?

If you mean popular on message boards then, yes, Monica is popular. If you mean popular with fans who go to tennis tournaments, then yes, Monica is popular. :p

However, if you mean popular, as with sponsors and people who pay sports celebrities to do endorsements, then NO, Monica is not popular. :) She doesn't earn millions a year endorsing products; she doesn't appear in much advertising (last one I saw was for Movado watches and that was a couple of years ago).

But, for someone to say "you'll maybe find two people in the u.s. that would openly admit to liking her" is ridiculous.:rolleyes: In Miami where she was supposed to play before pulling out with an injury, I heard many, many people talking about how disappointed they were that they wouldn't be able to see her. Way more than just two. :(

AjdeNate!
May 6th, 2003, 03:38 PM
See 2002 US Open v. Schwartz. The crowd totally pulled her through that match.

See 2002 Home Depot/Porsche/Sanex Heroes Trophy Presentation. Standing ovation as she won the only officially sanctioned popularity contest.

Spirit
May 6th, 2003, 04:04 PM
She doesn't appear in much advertising (last one I saw was for Movado watches and that was a couple of years ago).

American Express, 2002 US Open. Grocery store. :)

"Huh-EEH!"

Doraemon
May 6th, 2003, 04:08 PM
I think she's one of the few players who is popular in every courner of the globe. She's just loved wherever she goes.

TonyP
May 6th, 2003, 04:23 PM
I like Monica, so I guess I am one of those two people in the US who does.

But to get real for a moment, although Monica has been pretty warm and friendly in person since her return to the tour, the truth is she was NOT viewed that way in the first half of her career.

She was not universally loved back then. Many people found her famous grunt embarrassing. She was also widely slammed for not playing Wimbledon that one time. Others found her flashy and a show off. And she was NOT beloved by the other players.

The proof of that is pretty clear. She herself said she heard from very few of the players on the tour when she was off the tour all that time due to the stabbing. And of course, most of the top players did not want her to be co-ranked number one upon her return.

Of course, the press and the fans loved her after her comeback and she continues to enjoy great popularity, most of which is connected to sympathy for her due to the stabbing. I think others are sympathetic to her because she has "a weight problem" and that seems to be something many women can "relate to."

But are there any other things that changed? Well I think part of it was that Monica had kind of come into women's tennis and pretty much took it over. Only Graf was her equal and she was pretty much dominating her, too. So the other girls probably saw her as a threat.

The other thing was, like most top players at the time, she was pretty much on her own. She didn't do that much socializing with the other girls at the time.

So, the truth is, most of them didn't think of her as a friend at the time of the stabbing.

The stabbing changed everything, including the world's perception of Monica. But it probably changed her, too, because she seems to be a lot friendlier person since her return.

griffin
May 6th, 2003, 04:43 PM
I think similar shifts happened with Navratilova and Graf (althought the change and the circumstances were less drastic). They were more "popular" and warmly regarded at the ends of their careers than at the height of them.

Back on topic, anyone who thinks Monica isn't popular NOW is wearing some serious goggles.

Scorch
May 6th, 2003, 05:02 PM
I think similar shifts happened with Navratilova and Graf (althought the change and the circumstances were less drastic). They were more "popular" and warmly regarded at the ends of their careers than at the height of them.

Back on topic, anyone who thinks Monica isn't popular NOW is wearing some serious goggles.

I agree entirely! :D

TonyP
May 6th, 2003, 05:40 PM
Griffin:

Absolutely correct.

I was around the weekend Graf announced her retirement. She got lots of accolades from the players, but in reality, she had few friends on the tour during her career and was obten criticized in her day for being a player who showed up at tournaments, played her matches, picked up her paycheck and went home. Many said she didn't do much in a leadership position, or was she much of a spokewoman for the sport, at least in the US.

But in reality, having a good forehand doesn't mean you can rally the troops, or that you are particularly good at swapping quips with Jay Leno.

People's personalities are what they are and not everyone is good at being in the limelight.

And tennis, being an individual sport for the most part, is not the kind of thing that is necessarily designed to improve your social skills.

irma
May 6th, 2003, 05:43 PM
tonyp steffi at jay leno was indeed a disaster!;)

tyk101
May 6th, 2003, 05:45 PM
I was just watchin Swartz against Seles at USopen 2002... yep the crowd were right behiind her.. i think she has more that a few fans inthe US.. why would anyone be ashamed of being a seles fan?

irma
May 6th, 2003, 05:48 PM
I wonder too why somebody would made such a statement?

see I am not her fan at all so you would not her from me that I am selestial in the closet but that has deep and long last reasons wich are obvious ;) (j/k)

HingisLove
May 6th, 2003, 06:33 PM
What did steffi say on the Leno show?

irma
May 6th, 2003, 06:36 PM
not much but it was obvious that she didn't felt very comfortable

the two interviews with david letterman were much better!

Cariaoke
May 6th, 2003, 06:37 PM
Monica is loved everywhere. As with most U.S. fandom, she has a sympathy vote fron non-tennis fans. Those fans can appreciate her comeback after such a brutal attack.

Whoever said that no one in the U.S. likes her, is a complete idiot. She's probably one of the most popular athletes in sports, period.

Mase
May 6th, 2003, 06:41 PM
Monica is loved everywhere. As with most U.S. fandom, she has a sympathy vote fron non-tennis fans. Those fans can appreciate her comeback after such a brutal attack.

Whoever said that no one in the U.S. likes her, is a complete idiot. She's probably one of the most popular athletes in sports, period.

Well said. ;)

tennisjam
May 6th, 2003, 07:05 PM
Monica is one of the most popular athletes of the world for 15 years now...

and in my opinion ( and for many other people... ), one of the most respectfull, fair-play and inspiring athletes of all time...

Go Monica !!!!! :worship: :hearts: :wavey: :lick: :bounce:

rfs1999
May 6th, 2003, 08:57 PM
Go Monica!

Keith
May 6th, 2003, 09:08 PM

He does more than like Monica. He loves her so much, he writes her loveletters!

CondiLicious
May 6th, 2003, 09:22 PM
I wonder too why somebody would made such a statement?

Cos he's dumb! My friend who told me what he said now figures he got her mixed up with Monica LEWINSKY! Like... Duh! Look:

dumbass (http://forum.clubceline.com/viewtopic.php?t=23241)

irma
May 6th, 2003, 09:26 PM
lol poor monica (the tennisplayer I mean)

earthcrystal
May 6th, 2003, 10:04 PM
I've seen Monica play in L.A. (many times), Oklahoma, Kansas (WTT) and NY (Chase; US Open). That's coast to coast with a couple of states in between, so I would think that's a pretty good cross section of U.S. fans. ;)

Here's what I saw:

She is such a crowd favorite that it often takes the chair several "thank you's" to stop the "MON-I-CA!" chanting that starts during the changeover in order to resume play. ;)

Mase
May 6th, 2003, 10:37 PM
Interesting note Earth, thanks.......

Monica_Rules
May 6th, 2003, 10:44 PM
I think you'll find she is very popular around the world!

tyk101
May 6th, 2003, 10:51 PM
if she's not popular i dread to think what the popularity of the likes of Capriate and Davenport are!

I remember watchin the match against Davenport in the end of year championships... it was clear Monica was the most popular.. moreover.. the match was in Davenports own hometown!

faboozadoo15
May 6th, 2003, 11:58 PM
yea, i thought it would have been the other way around in that match, but when she played venus, it was actually DIFFICULT to tell who the crowd was going for. that was the first time since the comeback that i had seen that...