PDA

View Full Version : Not enough Tournies!

SerenaSlam
May 6th, 2003, 05:00 AM
I was looking at tournies played. Venus and Serena are only at 12 played. There "is" two ways to play the ranking system, but it is clear which way will get you a higher "points ranking" and that is playing for QUANTITY and not quality. As much drama and bull we go through with eachother, i wish/hope and pray every day, that venus and serena would add like 5-6 extra tournies, put their gap's at around 3000 points, and never leave, and that would be all she wrote. If they did that for just 1 year to prove something, it would shut up so many many haters. The other thing is, not only would they be playing the extra tournies like everyone else, but they would be doing something different, they would actually be consistenly winning the big tournies, not loosing early or late, like everyone else does.

Its cleary they could dominate the top 2 spots for some time, but whether or not they would want to do it in this way/fashion, its all up to them :)

Gowza
May 6th, 2003, 05:06 AM
i think the injury factor is stopping them.

Leena
May 6th, 2003, 05:14 AM
Thanks for reiterating something that's only been talked about 23143214324 times already.

Ewe r ... ?
May 6th, 2003, 06:25 AM
:d

King Lindsay
May 6th, 2003, 07:20 AM
I was looking at tournies played. Venus and Serena are only at 12 played. There "is" two ways to play the ranking system, but it is clear which way will get you a higher "points ranking" and that is playing for QUANTITY and not quality. As much drama and bull we go through with eachother, i wish/hope and pray every day, that venus and serena would add like 5-6 extra tournies, put their gap's at around 3000 points, and never leave, and that would be all she wrote. If they did that for just 1 year to prove something, it would shut up so many many haters. The other thing is, not only would they be playing the extra tournies like everyone else, but they would be doing something different, they would actually be consistenly winning the big tournies, not loosing early or late, like everyone else does.

Its cleary they could dominate the top 2 spots for some time, but whether or not they would want to do it in this way/fashion, its all up to them :)

Do you know why the current ranking system is as it is? Because the WTA doesn't want the world #1 to sit on 12 events and not be penalized by it. Steffi played about as much as Venus and Serena but under the average system, it never hurt her. This was a problem. The WTA wants their best to either go out and play the tour, or get hit with zeroes. so actually, I would like to see VandS with 19-21 events too. They would be giving the tour more support, and also proving my point about how much harder quality is to maintain when you load up your schedule a little more.

And for the love of Christ, LOSING. One fucking O.

moby
May 6th, 2003, 12:32 PM
It's not that simple.

If they could, they would have...

Jesquimaux
May 6th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Isn't the quantity of tours played the reason why Dokic has been slipping a little lately :confused: You would think that all the playing has worn her out.

Sofiane
May 6th, 2003, 01:29 PM
Isn't the quantity of tours played the reason why Dokic has been slipping a little lately :confused: You would think that all the playing has worn her out.
There is a difference between 20 tournies and the 31 Dokic plays.
And the point is it is more difficult to win when you play more.
It's easy to say if I play more I'll win more, it's yet to be proven.

rikvanlooy
May 6th, 2003, 02:35 PM
There is a difference between 20 tournies and the 31 Dokic plays.
And the point is it is more difficult to win when you play more.
It's easy to say if I play more I'll win more, it's yet to be proven.

It all depends. Kim and Justine used to play a lot more tournaments, but they lost sometimes in the first round. Now they reach the final or the semi final, so they have to play a lot more matches.

Kim complained about fatigue after her last loss against Serena. She was happy to stop playing for about a month.

Justine took at the beginning of the year the decision to play less tournaments because she got tired. Now she takes a break and she trains very hard. Her results are now much better than last year (she only loses against the top three).

The risk of injury is much greater if you play a lot of tournaments (look at what happened to Hingis).

I'm sure that the Sisters could play more than 12 tournaments, but there is no real need to play more than 19-20 tournaments, because only the best 17 results count for the ranking and the risks of fatigue and/or injuries are too big if you play too much.

eg : look at what happened to Justine last year at RG

gentenaire
May 6th, 2003, 02:41 PM
Justine wasn't injured during RG last year, she was ill! I don't think that has anything to do with the number of tournaments she played. You can become ill anytime of the year, whether you play a lot or not.

King Lindsay is right, the system must encourage players to play!

JPV
May 6th, 2003, 02:59 PM
i wish/hope and pray every day, that venus and serena would add like 5-6 extra tournies, put their gap's at around 3000 points
you can't play 5-6 tournies, and get 3000 pts... you'd have too play probably 8-10 extra tournaments to do so. And then they are more likely to be injured...

moby
May 6th, 2003, 03:09 PM
The way some of you put it, its like martina played 30 tournaments a year!

That's not true, because she usually averages about 20 only, less than either justine or kim. However, she is more consistent and reaches semis and finals more regularly (something kim and justine have been doing this year. keep it up!) and over long periods of time. We are talking years here.

So, I guess it is true she played a little too much.