PDA

View Full Version : Venus' future looks uncertain - NOT!

GogoGirl
May 5th, 2003, 09:15 PM
I think for anyone to think that Venus or Serena will win every match in their careers here on out must be smoking on something. Steffi – Martina and Chris used to win sooooo much until when they lost – some folks acted as if they were shocked – devastated, etc. How can that be? How can anyone expect to win them all the time? Tiger hasn’t done it. Muhammad Ali didn’t do it – so why should the Sisters be expected to – and especially Venus. And for the record – I have always demurred to say that they would not win them all.

Now it seems to me that Venus played relatively well during FED CUP. She went 3 and Zero didn’t she? If she was sooooo out of shape – then why didn’t she lose badly? To lose is one thing – but to lose badly is something else. Momo was steam rollin' Venus in the second set yesterday – and Venus has been quoted as stating, that at one point she thought she was suffering a stomachache. Now – for all we know – she could have felt the stomach pain in the first set that she won. And – winning 7/6 is not beating the shoelaces off of an opponent. Translation – she still struggled to win the first set. Not to say that she struggled because of the stomach problems – because we all know that Momo can hang tough. But she MAY have played thru the pain.

I do declare! Check out the below writer and others that seem to question Venus's work ethic or lack there of. Hasn’t she recently been quoted as saying that she does care about her tennis? But even so – we have to put that in context. And the context is that tennis is not her first priority. She has made that fact know long before she even got into the design bizniz and still managed to win 4 Slams and oodles of titles. She hipped us years ago what came first in her life. Just because some may feel she is wrong in the way she's approached her tennis career doesn’t mean that she is. Remember now that she stressed before that family, religion and education came before tennis – and again – she still managed to be a winner in tennis.

Take or leave the number one ranking. Venus has held it before. Been there and done it. How great is it to behold? What does it give one except byes and one won’t have to play the number two player in a tourney? What else is soooo great about it – other than the endorsements that may come w/it? Now – Venus had gotten all kinds of endorsements before she became number one – so she was already set. For someone like Kimmie & Justine achieving that goal is something they may covet – but not the Queen. The queen used to feel she was number one when she was numbers 4 & 5 – remember? Martina was the number one player – but eventually people started questioning her about whether or not she felt that she truly was number one and deserved her ranking. I felt she deserved her ranking because of the ranking system – but me being a fan of Venus’s – I felt she was the true number one – because I was biased.

Venus just wants to play her best. She wants to win – because that is how winners feel. Martina was a winner – but when she realized that the odds were against her winning more than losing she decided to hang it up. Venus is not there yet. And if anything – if Venus’ ranking continues to fall – then that will just give her more incentive to try to win every match she plays.

AGAIN THE POINT OF TENNIS IS TO WIN. IF ONE WINS – THEN ONE WILL MOVE UP THE RANKINGS.

IMO – Venus wants to win – but is not obsessed with her ranking. She may not want to have to play her Sister before a final – but if she has to – then – she has to – and I don’t know – it just may be me – but I think she understands all that and will not commit suicide. Because after it is all said and done – a winner doesn’t care who they’re up against in any given match and at any given time during a tourney – if they feel they are good enough to play well enough to win matches and championships.

Some folks are losing a grip on reality it seems. Again - check out the title of the article. How ludicrous a title? If anyone in the sport is assured a future it is Miss Venus Ebone Starr Williams.

"LIVE THE LIFE YOU LOVE AND LOVE THE LIFE YOU LIVE - VENUS" "HOPE TO C U IN GAY PAREE' AND IF NOT - CATCH U LATER GIRLIE-GIRL"

http://sport.iafrica.com/news/233769.htm

Venus' future looks uncertain
Posted Mon, 05 May 2003

Venus Williams' future looks more uncertain than ever after her decision to withdraw from this week's $1,262,000 German Open with a pulled stomach muscle.

It is the second time within a few days that the elder Williams sister has pulled out of a big money tournament, because during last week's tournament in Warsaw she decided to withdraw from the Italia Masters in Rome which starts next Monday.

It means that the former world number one has played in only four WTA Tour events all year, and still has not won a title in more than eight months.

The 22-year-old American may now go into the French Open in Paris in three weeks time less well prepared for a Grand Slam tournament than ever before - if, that is, she has recovered at all.

"It is not good when it is an abdominal strain," said Venus, meaning that such ailments can take a long time to get right. "It needs more time but it's not my job to sit at a desk."

This reference may well be an attempt to answer gossip that she is now more interested in her interior design business than in her tennis.

After suffering one of the worst defeats of her career, to compatriot Meghann Shaughnessy at the Nasdaq-100 Open in Miami in March, Venus immediately announced she was taking a month off.

That increased perceptions that ever since Serena Williams took over from her as the world's leading player during the second half of last year, there has been a lack of drive by Venus to respond. The lack of competition may also be making her more susceptible to injury, something with which she has been troubled by through much of her career.

"My plan is to take each day at a time, have some rest, and be fit again as soon as possible," Venus concluded.

Her absence means that Justine Henin-Hardenne, the titleholder from Belgium, moves up to second seed and has a likely semifinal with Amelie Mauresmo, the former finalist from France who moves up to fourth.

The other semifinal should be between Kim Clijsters, the top-seeded world number two from Belgium, and Jennifer Capriati, the former world number one from the United States.

AFP

Shuji Shuriken
May 5th, 2003, 10:05 PM
It means that the former world number one has played in only four WTA Tour events all year, and still has not won a title in more than eight months.

Am I mistaken or is that just bullshit :rolleyes: :rolleyes:. Did she not win Antwerp just a couple of weeks ago :rolleyes: :fiery:. but anyways, whatever get's this journalist's rocks off :devil:.

tennisfan1972
May 5th, 2003, 10:48 PM
Who else has made more finals than Venus? just curious...isnt she at like 3 or 4 so far?

SerenaSlam
May 5th, 2003, 11:38 PM
yes, right now, she is the only 1 besides Serena, that could have the most tour titles right now, or have the most chances?

Freewoman33
May 5th, 2003, 11:48 PM
The asshole doesn't know what the hell he/she is talking about. That's so typical of so-called sports journalists, particularly the tennis journalists.

joao
May 6th, 2003, 12:16 AM
The fact that the person who wrote this article didn't know about Antwerp shows that he/she doesn't know what she's talking about obviously!:rolleyes:

Bright Red
May 6th, 2003, 12:27 AM
I'm sure Venus' competitors know better than to count her out.

o0O0o
May 6th, 2003, 12:57 AM
WOW! Only ONE title for Venus in the last eight months and no Tier I titles for over a year and a half?!

Infiniti2001
May 6th, 2003, 02:18 AM
WOW! Only ONE title for Venus in the last eight months and no Tier I titles for over a year and a half?!

What are you, a Venus stalker??? :devil: :mad: :fiery:

Cariaoke
May 6th, 2003, 02:22 AM
after the 'she hasn't won a title in eight months' bullshit, I stopped reading...

after I say this i'm putting short bus driver, I mean 00000 on ignore... now how many tier 1's do you have? have you even won a challenger? nope, didn't think so. *clicks the ignore button*

I've always wanted to say that.

Cybelle Darkholme
May 7th, 2003, 05:34 AM
What are you, a Venus stalker??? :devil: :mad: :fiery:

What else can he do now that his fav is washed up and riding horses trying to sue her shoe company...maybe he can go watch her take english classes in zurich...