PDA

View Full Version : Non tennis question

propi
Apr 26th, 2003, 07:58 AM
Sorry but I have a doubt (OK to be sincere a stupid doubt :rolleyes: ), it's about the russian song for Eurovision contest. It's tATu's and the name is Ne ver, ne bojsia. I'm wondering what does it mean.....:o
If you have time to answer OK if not...well I guess is not so important.
Anyway thanks in advance

tenn_ace
Apr 26th, 2003, 02:47 PM
Here we go (maybe slightly different depending on the context - I haven't heard this song):

Don't Believe, Don't Be Afraid

propi
Apr 26th, 2003, 04:08 PM
Cool thanks!!!

goldenlox
Jul 25th, 2003, 06:41 PM
I have a non-tennis question.
There is an article on ESPN.COM that is all over GM today. It says that Anna makes $13 million per year in endorsements and photo shoots. And Serena earns $8 million per year.

Do any of the other Russian girls have a major endorsement deal besides the standard clothing and raquet deals?

ys
Jul 25th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Sorry but I have a doubt (OK to be sincere a stupid doubt :rolleyes: ), it's about the russian song for Eurovision contest. It's tATu's and the name is Ne ver, ne bojsia. I'm wondering what does it mean.....:o
If you have time to answer OK if not...well I guess is not so important.
Anyway thanks in advance

It's the first two ( out of three ) parts of old good slogan of Russian dissidents and convicts..

Don't trust, don't fear ( and the third one is "don't ask"),

three-verb recipy about how to deal with the official governmental institutions.

I don't know the song, so no idea whether it is any relevant to the lyrics.

fresh2flash
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:35 AM
It's the first two ( out of three )

Не верь, не бойся, не проси - that`s how the song is called. So all three parts are present. :)

Cassius
Aug 15th, 2003, 02:55 AM
If 'Ne ver, ne bojsia' is 'Don't trust, Don't fear', what is 'Don't ask'?

Arhivarius
Aug 15th, 2003, 03:07 AM
If 'Ne ver, ne bojsia' is 'Don't trust, Don't fear', what is 'Don't ask'?

Do not ask - "не проси" - ne prosi.
Просить- is actually to ask. But it is not to ask a question. It is to ask a favor, almost to beg in some cases.

It is modus operandi for some tough situation, about to be strong and independent, surviving the troubles.
This phrase has a long history.
In one of the songs of Veronika Dolina there is a sort of the reference that it is the phrase from great Russian poet Tyutchev. But I'm not sure about that, do not remember seeing those words in Tyutchev poetry. :)

Actually the best translation I can come up with would be something like this: " Do not trust, don't be scared, don't ask a favor". :)