PDA

View Full Version : One thing that really sucks when you think about Russian WTA players is..

ys
Apr 20th, 2003, 10:39 PM
next Olympics. So many girls are playing well and move up the rankings. Nastya, Alyona, Lena, Vera, Sveta. Plus Dina, Lina and Nadya might really improve by then. And that's not I am already listing Elena L., Tanya, and Anna as has-beens. And only three of them will be able to play:(. Poor Tarpishev.. Comparing to the choice he'll have to make before Athens, BJK's Sydney's dillemma is really nothing.

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 20th, 2003, 11:19 PM
a nice problem to have

but the Olympics will be before the US Open
so not good timing.

Heard they were gonna change it to hard Courts instead of clay to get a better field.

Olympics are to take place mid to near end of August too

Leena
Apr 21st, 2003, 01:08 AM
So many good players... but none of them are Top 10, and probably won't be by then either. :sad:

auntie janie
Apr 21st, 2003, 02:42 AM
Looking for a dark cloud in this beautiful silver lining, are we, ys? ;)

the cat
Apr 21st, 2003, 07:21 PM
Why is Russia only allowed 3 female tennis players in the 2004 Olympics? Is that 3 singles player and then a doubles team on top of that? If the Olympics was in july or early august, then it would be better. But there is no way an elite tennis players will sacrifice playing the U.S. Open for the Olympics.

And no one wants to play on a clay court at that time of year. I certainly wouldn't trust any hard court that is put down for the Olympics. It will probably be a terrible hard court.

The enire Olympic tennis even for the women hinges on whether the Williams sisters go to the Olym;ics. Which is no ceratainty. They might want to stay in America to prepare for the Olympics.

ys
Apr 21st, 2003, 08:05 PM
But there is no way an elite tennis players will sacrifice playing the U.S. Open for the Olympics.

From Elena Dementieva's interview:
"I just concentrate on tennis, and trying to be a good sportsman for Russia."

I would bet that if it was a choice between the Open and Olympics, Alyona would choose Olympics. Fortunately, there is no such choice and a player can play both.

And no one wants to play on a clay court at that time of year.

I thought that there is such thing as European Clay Tour ( Palermo, Nordic Ligh and Procom ) and I thought it is happening at that time of year. So saying "no one" would not be entirely correct.

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 21st, 2003, 08:52 PM
Why is Russia only allowed 3 female tennis players in the 2004 Olympics?

thats all any country is allowed to have in any SPORT other than team events.

auntie janie
Apr 21st, 2003, 08:56 PM
I would bet that if it was a choice between the Open and Olympics, Alyona would choose Olympics. Fortunately, there is no such choice and a player can play both.

I do remember Elena saying a couple years ago that the Olympics meant more to her than the Slams, or maybe it was that her Olympic silver medal meant more to her than her US Open semifinal. Either way, the remark stuck in my head because it seemed so unusual, but I believe her and I find it admirable. :kiss:

As for the players who will be left out of the Olympic experience, well that is how it has been for the US, where if you went by today's rankings, astoundingly, no player ranked below #5 would make the team. :eek: It's a shame for the players who don't qualify, but the good thing for the Russian girls is that they are so young, those who don't make it this time, can try again for the next Olympics. :)

Dava
Apr 21st, 2003, 10:00 PM
Whya re they changing them to clay, the Barcelona Olympics worked just fine with Clay courts!!! Its probably becuase they have not the clay courts yet

the cat
Apr 22nd, 2003, 12:37 AM
ys, are you saying I am not entirely correct? ;)

The Russian girls need to create a couple of good doubles teams for the tennis competition in the 2004 Summer Olympics. Maybe a Russian team could be a medal contender. But we do know who will win the women's doubles gold medal. Don't we? The Williams sisters are a lock. You heard it hear first. But I don't see why the Russians can't have a couple of good doubles teams by then. But the top Russian girls just don't team up to play doubles together. It's so puzzling. :confused: Why is that?

auntie janie
Apr 23rd, 2003, 05:38 PM
But the top Russian girls just don't team up to play doubles together. It's so puzzling. :confused: Why is that?

cat, are you insane? Lina and Elena D. love to play together when they are at the same tournament. Anastasia plays with various Russians, when she enters doubles at all. The really young Russian girls play doubles together, too. So I don't quite know who you are referring to, except for Elena L., who can hardly be blamed for sticking with her partner Cara Black,when they have had so much success together.

Leena
Apr 23rd, 2003, 10:32 PM
I'd like to see Lena play with Russian girls once in a while. Maybe they don't like her? Jealousy, of course. Lena is doing fine with Rennae... Rennae can carry her to some wins. :)