PDA

View Full Version : Madonna - 'American Life'

Becool
Apr 20th, 2003, 08:25 AM
Hi guys.

Any of you watched Madonna's new version for "American Life" video? Cause on MTV Brazil they said they're recieving this video next tuesday.. and when they're recieving this video that day, possibly, kinda likely, the US recieved first.. So anyone watched?

It's completely different? What about the ending?

BTW I might be wrong about this thingie. Maybe it's a worldwide relaunch..

Some say that her songs are really awesome and this album might be one of her greatest.. :eek: They're already on the internet. I might download some of them just to see if they're any good..

I love the first single, duh 'American Life'..
It really makes me dance LOL

bionic71
Apr 20th, 2003, 08:41 AM
Got my hands on a copy of the cd Saturday.
it is spectacular...... easily one of her best and most complete albums.
HOLLYWOOD, MOTHER AND FATHER and NOTHING FAILS are amazing.

YSL
Apr 20th, 2003, 10:17 AM
Yeah, I got my hands on a promo copy at work last week. It's an album that grows on you (pretty much like her last 2 singles). It's a very personal album from her (her views on her parents on "Mother and Father"). There aren't really a lot of BIG dance numbers (like on the last CD). Rather, there are some mellow songs on there. I like "Love Profusion" which is a lot like "(I) Deserve It" with it's acoustic guitar and also "Nothing Fails". The latter is VERY similar to "Like A Prayer" with it's BIG choir :)

So, give it a few listens.. It'll grow on you if you don't immediately like it.

anton
Apr 20th, 2003, 10:19 AM
vh1 keeps on showing Christina Agularra.

arent they supposed to be showing madonna's redone video?

JonBcn
Apr 20th, 2003, 10:30 AM
HOLLYWOOD, MOTHER AND FATHER and NOTHING FAILS are amazing.

I totally agree with that. Some of the album is a bit superfluous; 'I'm So Stupid' is a waste of four minutes of your life. But on the whole its easily as good as 'Music'

anton
Apr 20th, 2003, 10:33 AM
vh1 just showed madonna's "die another day" :rolleyes:

where's american life :confused:

Dahveed
Apr 20th, 2003, 10:45 AM
I havent seen the video and i hope i can catch it soon on MTV or somewhere! I find American Life a bit strange but i like it somewhat, just hate the rap bridge :eek: i don't like Die Another Day much.

Benny
Apr 20th, 2003, 10:49 AM
I saw clips of the video, I think they are releasing it in Australia. The ending is where she throws a grenade and a George Bush look-a-like opens it up and lites a cigar on the flame of the grenade. Not sure if thats who its supposed to symbolise, but it has a war look about the video.
Don't mind the song, its catchy and I don't think its so much about war, more about the lifesyles of rich americans. Might get the album, I'll just wait and see how the other songs sound:)

Dava
Apr 20th, 2003, 12:53 PM
Ity just Madonna is a suit in front of loads of flags. I think she is a wimp for withdrawing the original, it did make some good points (thought some of it is vulgar)

matthias
Apr 20th, 2003, 01:18 PM
the song and the video are really bad!

i think it is one of her worst songs ever

bionic71
Apr 20th, 2003, 01:53 PM
Don't be put off by the first single and the crap surrounding the release/non release of the video.
I hated the AMERICAN LIFE song for the first few weeks...it is now working for me and it works perfectly as an opening track for the entire album.
I am surprised and disappointed that she recalled the original video....although it seems her suspicions were correct....that many people may overlook what the song and videos intentions are - the superficial and tacky notion of AMERICAN-ISM.
The imagery used in the video itself leads people to think it is a statement about the recent American invasion of IRAQ! The impending war (at the time) was an obvious influence but it was not meant to be main statement".

In my opinion the album is much stronger than MUSIC. It is indeed quite personal.....which makes the songs a little difficult to listen to.
The production is a little jarring at first..but after a few listens your ears get used to it.
Her vocals are great though.....the over dubbing and layering on some of the tracks is superb. The harmonies with her in both high and low registers are a favourite aspect.

I hope people go out and buy it and make up their own minds. I remember a similar start to the EROTICA album.....when the first single and video was slagged off in the press and it sort of scared people off a little. It was sad because EROTICA was a strong album which deserved a wider listen (although it was far too long at 75 minutes).

This album is exceptionally good.

darren cahill
Apr 20th, 2003, 02:39 PM
I think Erotica was and still is her best CD by far...man, that cd still holds up today...13 years after it came out...can you believe its that old now? :eek:

bionic71
Apr 20th, 2003, 02:43 PM
I think Erotica was and still is her best CD by far...man, that cd still holds up today...13 years after it came out...can you believe its that old now? :eek:

Yes DC, loved Erotica and was so distraught that it went on to become her worst selling album!!! My how time flys (1992!!!)
I have been looking around the net for AMERICAN LIFE reviews and the ones I have read so far are all very positive...thankfully.

JonBcn
Apr 20th, 2003, 02:44 PM
mmm...I've always thought Erotica was dreadful, and I have all her albums. Only Deeper and Deeper stands the test of time for me.

darren cahill
Apr 20th, 2003, 02:47 PM
mmm...I've always thought Erotica was dreadful, and I have all her albums. Only Deeper and Deeper stands the test of time for me.

so funny cause thats my least fave on the record! isnt it funny how different people like different stuff...i hated that song...but loved Erotica, waiting (MY FAVE) Rain was good, where life begins was a trip...also loved the bedtime stories cd...those are my 2 faves

bionic71
EROTICA is not my favourite album of hers....but it didn't deserve the public slamming it got.

bionic71
Mind you......I hate BYE BYE BABY!!!

darren cahill
Apr 20th, 2003, 02:48 PM
Mind you......I hate BYE BYE BABY!!!

loved that song! good lord..i must be out of the loop!

bionic71
Apr 20th, 2003, 02:50 PM
mmmm......BEDTIME STORIES.
Loved Sanctuary and Bedtime Story.
Love Tried To Welcome Me was a big rip off of a 19th Century poem..... she hardly altered the lyrics!

schris
Apr 20th, 2003, 02:53 PM
It`s new Madonna but I still love her !!!

VIVA MADONNA :hearts:

darren cahill
Apr 20th, 2003, 03:27 PM
mmmm......BEDTIME STORIES.
Loved Sanctuary and Bedtime Story.
Love Tried To Welcome Me was a big rip off of a 19th Century poem..... she hardly altered the lyrics!

i loved sanctuary as well and also loved Survival and secret.

if you had to pick your 5 fave cd's of hers...what would they be? mine are (cant count soundtracks or greatest hits like the Immaculate collection)

1. EROTICA
2. BEDTIME STORIES
3. MUSIC
4. RAY OF LIGHT
5. LIKE A PRAYER

Becool
Apr 20th, 2003, 05:28 PM
I don't know why the original video recieved that treatment..It's not that offensive...

I think that the parts where it has a little bit of offensivity is where that Iraq (i dont know if it's from Iraq) boy walks on the catwalk with that hungry/sad looking face, and the end, which obviously was the thing that actually made Madonna stop from showing the video.. USA recieved very bad the video.. dunno why :confused:

I love this song, since the first time I heard it. The rap part, very original, and for the first time Madonna raps on her musics. And, like always, Madonna is beautiful on the video. With dark hair now :lick: Also loved the melody, and the beat.. I can't wait to get the others songs.. And if I like, I'm surely buying this new album.. :)

I really want to see this new video.. It has some flags on it? It has the Brazilian flag? Well, I'll have to wait until Tuesday :o

Madonna is back! Better than ever :D

JonBcn
Apr 20th, 2003, 05:34 PM
Becool - she kind of rapped on 'Vogue' too ;)

Darren - its a bit difficult to objectively put American Life into a top 5. I cant decide if I like it more than Music, but thats because its new and I cant look at it in a historical context. So I'll say -

1=American Life
1=Music
3 Ray of Light
4 Like A prayer
5 Like A Virgin

shirley
Apr 20th, 2003, 06:13 PM
I like "Words" and "Thief of Hearts" from the Erotica album.

"Bedtime Stories" is a criminally under-rated album which is a shame really because I quite like that album

bionic71
Apr 21st, 2003, 06:39 AM
A Top 5 list...this changes constantly.
I will not put AMERICAN LIFE in the list yet...although I KNOW it will be there by years end, as I do believe it is haer most complete work to date.

1. LIKE A PRAYER
2. RAY OF LIGHT
3. EROTICA
4. BEDTIME STORIES
5. MADONNA/LIKE A VIRGIN tie ( I can't pick between these two!)

With regard to TRUE BLUE. Although it is her biggest seller worldwide...I really don't think it cuts it as an album. It feels like 5 hit singles with 4 tracks added on. There is no concept or theme running thru from beginning to end. The albums I enjoy are the thematic ones.....

treufreund
Apr 21st, 2003, 07:04 AM
I loved the EROTICA album but really I like almost all of her stuff especially from the 90s on...

BigB08822
Apr 21st, 2003, 07:11 AM
I just finished downloading the entire album, its so fun to download a whole album in like 5 minutes. Just so you know, I only download an entire album if I intend on buying it. If I hate what I hear, I wont buy the album, but I will also be deleting the downloads so I can't listen for free or have others download off of me.

anton
Apr 21st, 2003, 09:23 AM
I like "promise to try" by madonna and it was cool in her movie where during the playover of that song she goes to her mom's grave and rests on her grave.

Dahveed
Apr 21st, 2003, 03:21 PM
I saw ther video, nothing special really, Madonna looks good though. I think i'm buying the album tomorrow!

I really want to see this new video.. It has some flags on it? It has the Brazilian flag?

Yes it's there ;)