PDA

View Full Version : People should stop hyping not-so-great movies

GoDominique
Apr 19th, 2003, 01:08 PM
... like 'The Matrix' which I saw for the first time yesterday. The first half is quite interesting, but the second is rather boring and silly IMO. I like '12 Monkeys' much more, for example.

Also 'The 6th sense' had a lot of hype but was boring too.

Why is that? Or am I the only person who thinks like that?

Dava
Apr 19th, 2003, 01:12 PM
The Matrix is a hybrid rip-off of the Ghost in the Shell and The Truth Will Set You Free.

GoDominique
Apr 19th, 2003, 01:18 PM
Well, I thought it was a rip-off of Terminator. :o

Randy H
Apr 19th, 2003, 01:19 PM
I hated the Matrix, I thought it was incredibly overrated too - For some reason well beyond me though, it has become almost cult-like to some people.

To each their own I suppose :p

Dava
Apr 19th, 2003, 01:21 PM
I think the Matrix is good, ut it does get too much credit, I will go and watch the sequels when they come out.

Dahveed
Apr 19th, 2003, 02:29 PM
I didnt understand ANYTHING about the Matrix and hated it! I fell asleep watching The Lord of the Rings.

I loved the 6th Sense though! And 12 Monkeys is a brilliant movie!

veryborednow
Apr 19th, 2003, 06:12 PM
I loved The Matrix.

Hated Lord of The Rings, especially the second one. The trees :o oops

Crazy Canuck
Apr 19th, 2003, 07:24 PM
I loved the Matrix. But why, oh why did they pick Keanu Reeves?

King Satan
Apr 19th, 2003, 07:31 PM
I loved the Matrix. But why, oh why did they pick Keanu Reeves?
You know it was actually supposed to star will smith, but he decided to do wild wild west instead :eek: lol

Mr. Man
Apr 19th, 2003, 07:43 PM
I'm sort of a person who hates "The Lord of the Rings". Boring shit right there, but yet it was hyped up, Like Harry Potter, another boring movie. zzzzz

I didn't think 'The 6th sense was boring, But it did drag a bit.

Hurley
Apr 19th, 2003, 07:51 PM
"The Matrix" is the mass-cult version of "1984." It's a decent movie, but anyone who thinks it's "deep" doesn't read.

Steam
Apr 19th, 2003, 07:52 PM
I have never seen the Matrix and don't plan on anytime in the future either. It just looked ridiculous. Same thing with anything to do with Lord of the Rings. Maybe if they made the Hobbit I would have been interesting. I enjoyed that book when I read it in class in the seventh grade. Then again, I was 13 and pretty lame.

I downright refuse to see Titanic. I am not a huge fan of period pieces like that unless it stars someone I don't hate and who doesn't suck. Unfortunately, Leo is 0 for 2 there.

I enjoyed the Sixth Sense since I saw it before all the mega-hype set in and the ending wasn't spoiled. My friend and I figured it out at the same time. I say "Holy Shit" and then he follows it almost screaming "he's fucking dead". I enjoyed Unbreakable but haven't gotten around to watching "Signs" yet even though I bought it on DVD over three months ago.

adss
Apr 19th, 2003, 08:06 PM
the matrix has amazing special effects, that's why it will always be hyped up, and the special effects will only get better

Mercury Rising
Apr 19th, 2003, 08:17 PM
I like the Matrix very much, also like the 6th sense, lord of the rings and 12 monkeys ;) I'm an easy guy lol

Shedevil
Apr 19th, 2003, 08:18 PM
did I hear the word rip-off here?
are we trashing movies? :bounce:
can I join? :worship: :p

GoDominique
Apr 19th, 2003, 08:21 PM
'The 6th sense' was also quite ridiculous.
No surprise if you didn't guess the ending, because it doesn't make sense at all.
If he's dead, then how did he receive the report about the boy he would meet later?
And how did he get into the boy's house?
Etc. :rolleyes:

Shedevil
Apr 19th, 2003, 08:23 PM
but that's what the 6th sense is all about...the inbelievable

adss
Apr 19th, 2003, 08:46 PM
i liked the 6th sense, haley joel osment was great in it, and i was pleasantly surprised by bruce willis

selesfan1
Apr 19th, 2003, 09:19 PM
I also fell asleep during Lord of the Rings.

veryborednow
Apr 19th, 2003, 09:33 PM
If anyone didn't see the ending of the 6th Sense jumping up and down, waving it's arms and screaming at you from the synopsis: "therapist helping a child who can see dead people. Then you deserve to be slapped. It was boring, predictable, and worst of all I had to sit through Bruce Willis "acting". Ugh.

I liked the whole philosophical angle The Matrix played. And I'm a sucker for slow-mo action. That's why I loved Brotherhood of the Wolf so much. Well that, and Monica Bellucci ;)

Mr. Man
Apr 19th, 2003, 09:35 PM
I also fell asleep during Lord of the Rings.
You actually bothered to see it. :p

Messenger
Apr 19th, 2003, 10:42 PM
So what was the official reason for Keanu coming back to life at the end?

Crazy Canuck
Apr 20th, 2003, 01:25 AM
Because, they can't kill Keanu!

Sam L
Apr 20th, 2003, 01:29 AM
I've never seen the Matrix either and I don't think I want to see it.

People who don't like LOTR, read the books first! If they bore you (which would to most people) don't watch the movies. I mean LOTR is not meant to be pop culture. It's written by a man who studied the English Language history for god's sake!

GBFH
Apr 20th, 2003, 01:38 AM
Speaking of over-hyped movies...anyone seen "The Ring"? My sister said it was the scariest movie she's ever seen, and it was boring shit. Twist ending, my ass :rolleyes:

Also, "The Matrix" is okay..the dialogue was pretty weak in places, as well as the whole "love story" angle..but the effects were cool. I'll see the sequels.

decemberlove
Apr 20th, 2003, 01:43 AM
Speaking of over-hyped movies...anyone seen "The Ring"? My sister said it was the scariest movie she's ever seen, and it was boring shit. Twist ending, my ass :rolleyes:

Also, "The Matrix" is okay..the dialogue was pretty weak in places, as well as the whole "love story" angle..but the effects were cool. I'll see the sequels.

i didnt bother to see the ring cos scary movies just dont scare me. in fact the only scary movie thats ever scared me is the shining... and thats cos the music in that movie really sets the atmosphere.

i only saw the sixth sense once... so i dont even remember it. cant really comment.

matrix was ok but nothing special. i saw it at the theatre and i was tripping... and then when i actually saw it sober it was a big let down.

12 monkeys... GOOD movie

~ The Leopard ~
Apr 20th, 2003, 01:44 AM
The Matrix has a dumb premise. Batteries? wtf? In one stroke that could have been changed, and we'd have a much better movie. But the action, "look" and philosophy are wonderful. Oh well, I guess some people just don't get it.

I was disappointed by the second LOTR movie - all that cheesy stuff romantic stuff they inserted. But the first one is a superb movie...it looks awesome and is emotionally moving. The acting, cinematogaphy and sound track are all at a very high level. Again, I suppose you either get it or you don't.

GBFH
Apr 20th, 2003, 01:47 AM
The Matrix has a dumb premise. Batteries? wtf? In one stroke that could have been changed, and we'd have a much better movie. But the action, "look" and philosophy are wonderful. Oh well, I guess some people just don't get it.

I was disappointed by the second LOTR movie - all that cheesy stuff romantic stuff they inserted. But the first one is a superb movie...it looks awesome and is emotionally moving. The acting, cinematogaphy and sound track are all at a very high level. Again, I suppose you either get it or you don't.

FINALLY! someone who likes the first movie better! :hearts: joui

GBFH
Apr 20th, 2003, 01:49 AM
i didnt bother to see the ring cos scary movies just dont scare me. in fact the only scary movie thats ever scared me is the shining... and thats cos the music in that movie really sets the atmosphere.

i only saw the sixth sense once... so i dont even remember it. cant really comment.

matrix was ok but nothing special. i saw it at the theatre and i was tripping... and then when i actually saw it sober it was a big let down.

12 monkeys... GOOD movie

The Shining was excellent. I can't believe some of the weak miniseries that've been made on this book :rolleyes: nothing like the original ;)

decemberlove
Apr 20th, 2003, 01:58 AM
ugh. like the one they had on NBC about five years ago? HORRIBLE.

i usually like the books better than the actual movie but i think kubrick did a much better job of telling the story than king did when he wrote the book. i dunno... but i think king gets a lil too corny sometimes. the miniseries were too much like the book. and why try to make something when you know you can never reach the level that kubrick did? it just doesnt make sense to me.

i think memento is way overrated. i actually have it on dvd... ive tried watching it 6 times and everytime i fall asleep. it just doesnt hold my interest and the whole thing annoys me. cant he keep a journal or something? carry a laptop? instead of these stupid notes n tattoos everywhere.

~ The Leopard ~
Apr 20th, 2003, 01:58 AM
GBFH, I thought a lot of people preferred the first LOTR movie, but maybe I've just been assuming that. Glad you're with me on it. :kiss: to you (and, of course, to d-love :angel: ).

decemberlove
Apr 20th, 2003, 02:00 AM
GBFH, I thought a lot of people preferred the first LOTR movie, but maybe I've just been assuming that. Glad you're with me on it. :kiss: to you (and, of course, to d-love :angel: ).

i def thought the first was much better than the second.

GBFH
Apr 20th, 2003, 03:55 AM
ugh. like the one they had on NBC about five years ago? HORRIBLE.

i usually like the books better than the actual movie but i think kubrick did a much better job of telling the story than king did when he wrote the book. i dunno... but i think king gets a lil too corny sometimes. the miniseries were too much like the book. and why try to make something when you know you can never reach the level that kubrick did? it just doesnt make sense to me.

i think memento is way overrated. i actually have it on dvd... ive tried watching it 6 times and everytime i fall asleep. it just doesnt hold my interest and the whole thing annoys me. cant he keep a journal or something? carry a laptop? instead of these stupid notes n tattoos everywhere.

I'm in total agreement about the corn factor ;)
I don't know what it is, but "The Shining" is the only King-related film/miniseries that didn't make me gag from the cheesiness. I mean "The Stand", "It", and "The Green Mile" were all GREAT books, but the movies SUCKED ASS! What happened???

"Memento", good lord :rolleyes: what a SNOOZER!!!

How about "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"? My mom hyped this as, "the funniest movie I've seen in YEARS!"...and when it came out on DVD I gave it a shot...and it was...I don't know...it was cute, but I wouldn't watch it again.

GBFH
Apr 20th, 2003, 03:57 AM

Nope, everyone I've spoken to has said the second is better...now, the second BOOK is better (third is best ;)), but not the movie.

I still can't believe they made a three-hour movie and didn't have ALL of the second book in it. Incredible.

empiremaker03
Apr 20th, 2003, 04:20 AM
LotR was worth all the hype and how it failed to win best picture over a phoney making of A Beautiful Mind is just typical...

...the worst movie of all-time won an Oscar--American Beauty but there were subversive reasons for such

decemberlove
Apr 20th, 2003, 04:27 AM
I don't know what it is, but "The Shining" is the only King-related film/miniseries that didn't make me gag from the cheesiness. I mean "The Stand", "It", and "The Green Mile" were all GREAT books, but the movies SUCKED ASS! What happened???

"Memento", good lord :rolleyes: what a SNOOZER!!!

How about "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"? My mom hyped this as, "the funniest movie I've seen in YEARS!"...and when it came out on DVD I gave it a shot...and it was...I don't know...it was cute, but I wouldn't watch it again.

and pet cemetary... THINNER [that was god awful]... lalala sucky movies. i actually read the green mile before i even knew they were making a movie about it. it was alright for a king movie... but they couldve made it better. maybe me knowing the ending killed it for me, i dunno.

ive somehow managed to avoid my big fat greek wedding... i just got so sick of everyone talking about it i couldnt bear to put myself through the pain. im not really into the "cute funny" kinda movie, yknow?

decemberlove
Apr 20th, 2003, 04:28 AM
...the worst movie of all-time won an Oscar--American Beauty but there were subversive reasons for such

you think american beauty is the worst movie ever made?

GBFH
Apr 20th, 2003, 04:33 AM
and pet cemetary... THINNER [that was god awful]... lalala sucky movies. i actually read the green mile before i even knew they were making a movie about it. it was alright for a king movie... but they couldve made it better. maybe me knowing the ending killed it for me, i dunno.

ive somehow managed to avoid my big fat greek wedding... i just got so sick of everyone talking about it i couldnt bear to put myself through the pain. im not really into the "cute funny" kinda movie, yknow?

Oh god, I tried to block out "Thinner" :rolleyes: How can King in good conscience sell the rights to his movies when they turn into shit OVER and OVER and OVER??? The man really is a lunatic. "the Green Mile" shouldn't have been a movie at all! His books deal too much with the inner workings of his characters..and that's difficult to convey in films. Oh well...at least we have "The Shining" as our glaring exception ;)

Be glad you didn't see it. It wasn't bad...it was just way overblown. If I didn't hear from everyone I knew how wonderful it was, I'd have liked it better. I like stupid, cute little romcoms ;)

empiremaker03
Apr 20th, 2003, 04:37 AM
"you think american beauty is the worst movie ever made?"

of course they are worse movies--b-movies come to mind but for the lavish praise it received compared to its quality (and message) it remains to me the worst...certainly one i'd never watch again (and only watched in the first place on video just to confirm my opinion on it)

Rtael
Apr 20th, 2003, 05:56 AM
Yeah the MAtrix was cool, but way over-hyped...

My BFGW was ok, but like someone else said I wouldn't watch it again...

Whoever said the ring wasn't scary should be shot in the head dragged into a barn and locked up (yeah...that made sense!) I almost wet myself watching that, and everyone I knows says it was scary....haven't seen it again yet, but I plan to.

And yeah the shining was good =D

Scotso
Apr 20th, 2003, 06:07 AM
the second LOTR was BORRRRRINNNGGGGG

Scotso
Apr 20th, 2003, 06:09 AM
A Beautiful Mind deserved to beat LOTR :D

Oh and I agree about Memento, that was the most stupid and pointless movie I've ever slept through :rolleyes:

cheliste
Apr 20th, 2003, 09:52 AM
Ugh, I hate Matrix and I don't understand why some of my friends can't stop talking about it! It was massively hyped up.
I like Sixth Sense though. As for LOTR, I've seen the 1st one, got bored and didn't bother see Two Towers. ;)

Steam
Apr 20th, 2003, 04:54 PM
I really enjoyed "American Beauty" and thought it was very well done. I guess it is not for every one though. A few of my friends went to see it when it first came out and the majority of them hated it. Just great performances all around and I'm sure a few people on this board can really sympathize with Kevin Spacey's character.

irma
Apr 20th, 2003, 05:16 PM
the sixth sense was not boring you just have to see it in the right perspective. I had a lot of fun in the cinema;) (nah I really liked it)

I think people should decide themselves what they like and not listen to journalists, oskars, golden globes or whatever price a movie wins.

Mr. Man
Apr 20th, 2003, 07:09 PM
'The Ring was good. Wasn't that scary, but the atmosphere is good.

'12 Monkeys? You've got to kidding me! I was hyped up to see that when it first came out in theaters, After I was saw it, I had question marks all over my face, Confusing movie and wasn't ammused at all. Boring in some parts also.

Mercury Rising
Apr 20th, 2003, 08:31 PM
I saw American Beauty only one time, but I loved it.

I like the 2nd LOTR movie better than the first, but also saw it only one time. I have both soundtracks and the first st is the best.

Overrated movies to me: Blair Witch Project, Pulp Fiction (I guess I don't get this one), A Clockwork Orange (awfully boring),...

Monica_Rules
Apr 20th, 2003, 09:08 PM
I have never watched the matrix in full but from what i've seen its OK.

Lord of the rings is really good but cos the book is long thats why the films are too!

Sam L
Apr 21st, 2003, 12:11 AM
A Beautiful Mind deserved to beat LOTR :D

A beautiful mind pfft. It's not that great. It's a good story but that is all. "Best Picture" is meant to be the best cinematic experience of that year. I think In the bedroom or Gosford Park should've won that year if only it was more popular and had more people seen it.

adss
Apr 21st, 2003, 12:14 AM
a beautiful mind shouldn't have won, it was an oscar bait movie. In the bedroom shoulda won, but gosford park that was just as bad as a beautiful mind

The Crow
Apr 21st, 2003, 01:41 PM
O The matrix, one of the dullest, stupidest moviest I ever watched. Totally unbelievable (in a "Rambo" kinda way), boring and Keanu Reeves :(

Didn't like 12 monkeys either. Very dull movie.

Other overrated movies:
- Schindler's list
- Erin Brocovic
- Silence of the lambs
and many others I don't want to think about right now ;)

Shedevil
Apr 21st, 2003, 01:51 PM
omg you're totally right...I fell a sleep during Erin Brokovic :eek: stupid movie :rolleyes:

Dizzy Miss Lizzy
Apr 21st, 2003, 01:52 PM

The Shawshank redemption is also a King-story and that's just a great movie.

Dizzy Miss Lizzy
Apr 21st, 2003, 01:54 PM
Overrated movies to me: Blair Witch Project, Pulp Fiction (I guess I don't get this one), A Clockwork Orange (awfully boring),...

:worship: I totaly agree

The Crow
Apr 21st, 2003, 01:58 PM
Oh yeah Blair Witch Project yikes :eek: Stupid movie. Ahum and thanks for reminding me of this movie *cough* :rolleyes: ;)

Dahveed
Apr 21st, 2003, 02:02 PM
Erin Brocovic is a good movie dammit! And i love Julia Roberts!

Blair Witch, boring as hell not even scary!

A Beautiful Mind was okay, nothing special and Gosford Park was boring too. Actually i don't remember the last time i left the theatre thinking 'wow that was great'.

The Crow
Apr 21st, 2003, 02:22 PM
Erin Brocovic is a good movie dammit! And i love Julia Roberts!

Stop hyping not-so-great movies :mad: Or not-so-great actresses for that matter :p

Dahveed
Apr 21st, 2003, 02:37 PM
I said 'good' not 'great'! *slap* Ah then i didn't get the subject of this thread! :D