PDA

View Full Version : Canadians do you know if Bracebridge is far from Toronto?

martinailuv
Apr 19th, 2003, 10:47 AM
i'm going to canada on holiday with my mum and my sister in august and my mum said we'll be staying with her friend in bracebridge, ontario. i asked her if bracebridge was close to toronto cos i wanted to go to the canadian open but she didn't know. does anyone know if i can take the tube from bracebridge to toronto or perhaps there's a coach that goes to toronto from bracebridge? i really hope i can go cos we're going to be in ontario in august and i'll be terribly disappointed if i can't go to the canadian open.

Dahveed
Apr 19th, 2003, 11:20 AM
I know they dont have tube there, they ride reindeers. But in August there might be not enough snow :(

Randy H
Apr 19th, 2003, 11:51 AM
There should be coaches that go from Bracebridge to Toronto. Try www.greyhound.ca to see more details. You should be able to locate time schedules, as well as the exact points for arrival and departure. Toronto stops are usually at the Greyhound station downtown, or at Yorkville Mall. Yorkville Mall is fairly close to York University where the tournament is, and if you ask around you should be able to catch a local bus from there that will take you to the campus. :)

Kanji
Apr 19th, 2003, 01:07 PM
I know that Toronto is about 2 hours by car south from Bracebridge. There is surely a coach between them... Besides, there is probably someone who will be abble to give you more info here ;)

Barrie_Dude
Apr 19th, 2003, 01:56 PM
Bracebridge is on Lake Muskoka! Beautiful! Take Hwy 11 south from Bracebridge, through Graven hurst and to Orilla where you pick up Hwy 400. Take that into Toronto where you pick up the 401. Head East and get off at York University. The Candian National Tennis Centre is on the grounds of York University. Or, you can take a bus from Bracebridge to Toronto. Take the TTC from Yorkdale Centre to York University.

martinailuv
Apr 19th, 2003, 10:16 PM
There should be coaches that go from Bracebridge to Toronto. Try www.greyhound.ca to see more details. You should be able to locate time schedules, as well as the exact points for arrival and departure. Toronto stops are usually at the Greyhound station downtown, or at Yorkville Mall. Yorkville Mall is fairly close to York University where the tournament is, and if you ask around you should be able to catch a local bus from there that will take you to the campus. :)

thank you so much for the website information! thank you to everyone else for your help! :) i'm happy cos now i know i'll be able to go to the canadian open. my mum and my sister don't fancy tennis as much as i do and if i'm going to be in ontario on hol's in august then i have to go to the canadian open. :)

Crazy Canuck
Apr 20th, 2003, 12:20 AM
Good luck! :) Bracebridge, eh? Never been up that way... is there anythign there? ;)

martinailuv
Apr 20th, 2003, 03:42 PM
Good luck! :) Bracebridge, eh? Never been up that way... is there anythign there? ;)

i found pics and it's so pretty! :D i can't wait to go! :bounce: i didn't realise it was a small town. i suppose i thought it would be a big city like toronto but it's actually better cos it has trees, waterfalls and a lake. :)

http://www.downtownbracebridge.com/pictures/BayPark.jpg

http://www.downtownbracebridge.com/pictures/fountain-and-couple.jpg

http://www.downtownbracebridge.com/pictures/WinterView.jpg

http://www.downtownbracebridge.com/pictures/OldPostOffice.jpg

Dahveed
Apr 20th, 2003, 08:07 PM
You know i'm planning to go there for some reason ;) Very nice :)

Crazy Canuck
Apr 20th, 2003, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the pictures. No, it's not a big city like TOronto ;) Toronto is the biggest city in Canada, with only Montreal and Vancouver coming close.

Kanji
Apr 21st, 2003, 06:16 PM
Oh! I'm watching you... :p

Light-skinned Girl
Apr 21st, 2003, 07:35 PM
I have question about the Canadian Open for the Canadians. *Why* don't they let *other* cities host it besides Toronto and Montreal? It does *not* seem fair to the *western* provinces. I think they should *rotate* it between the east and the west. Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Regina can have it on the *odd* years and Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Halifax and St. John can hold it on the *even* years. What do you think?

Crazy Canuck
Apr 21st, 2003, 07:42 PM
I have question about the Canadian Open for the Canadians. *Why* don't they let *other* cities host it besides Toronto and Montreal? It does *not* seem fair to the *western* provinces. I think they should *rotate* it between the east and the west. Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Regina can have it on the *odd* years and Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Halifax and St. John can hold it on the *even* years. What do you think?
Too complicated. It's bad enough that they rotate it between two, we are the only tournament that does that. Rotating it betwee 3 or 4 would be ridiculous. This way, each city knows that they will have a tournament EVERY year (atp or wta) and can market accordingly.

Furthermore, the facilities already exist in these two cities, or new ones are being built.

Rotating them out west, wouldn't be "fair" to people out east. It's a big country, deal with it :p

Crazy Canuck
Apr 21st, 2003, 07:44 PM
Anyhow, I screwed up what i meant to say. You mentioned cities out East, but what I was trying to say is that there would be so many years between holding it out East or out West, or in the middle, it just wouldn't make sense. And what about the folks up north? Won't they feel left out?

Light-skinned Girl
Apr 21st, 2003, 07:50 PM
Anyhow, I screwed up what i meant to say. You mentioned cities out East, but what I was trying to say is that there would be so many years between holding it out East or out West, or in the middle, it just wouldn't make sense. And what about the folks up north? Won't they feel left out?

Toronto is what 5 hours from Montreal? So the *only* Canadians who *benefit* are Ontario and Quebec residents. *Maybe* they should add a
third city like Calgary *or* Edmonton so the middle *and* western provinces can get their *easier*. Didn't they hold the Pan Am Games in Winnipeg a few years ago? How about Winnipeg?

Crazy Canuck
Apr 21st, 2003, 07:54 PM
Toronto is what 5 hours from Montreal? So the *only* Canadians who *benefit* are Ontario and Quebec residents. *Maybe* they should add a
third city like Calgary *or* Edmonton so the middle *and* western provinces can get their *easier*. Didn't they hold the Pan Am Games in Winnipeg a few years ago? How about Winnipeg?
Unrealistic for reasons that I already explained.

Crazy Canuck
Apr 21st, 2003, 07:56 PM
They've played the past two DC ties in Calgary, if you are that concerned for them.

Light-skinned Girl
Apr 21st, 2003, 08:00 PM
Unrealistic for reasons that I already explained.

*Maybe* the solution is to have *more* Canadian tournaments?? Australia is *smaller* than Canada and it has 5 or 6 tournaments (both tours combined) *including* the HC. *Why* can't Canada have as many??

martinailuv
Apr 21st, 2003, 09:15 PM

i think it's is very nice as well. :) if you're interested in going there for a holiday here's the website where i found the pics.

http://www.downtownbracebridge.com

i can't wait for august! :bounce:

Ben Brigham
Apr 21st, 2003, 10:30 PM

Erm I wonder what is in Ontario, Canada that would prompt Dahveed to visit? :devil:

Dahveed
Apr 23rd, 2003, 05:31 PM
Kanji, watch me :cool:

And Ben, the Niagara Falls.

Barrie_Dude
Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:16 PM
Erm I wonder what is in Ontario, Canada that would prompt Dahveed to visit? :devil:

1)Me
2)Becca
3)Me
4)Beavers
5)Moose
6)Fingon
7)Randy
8)Beautiful Countryside
9)The Great Lakes
10) Mostly Me Though! ;)

Light-skinned Girl
Apr 23rd, 2003, 08:10 PM
They've played the past two DC ties in Calgary, if you are that concerned for them.

Why so *snotty*? I was showing respect for your *entire* country when I asked about the Canadian Open so I don't *understand* the attitude.

Kanji
Apr 23rd, 2003, 08:18 PM
MarineLand :confused:

Crazy Canuck
Apr 23rd, 2003, 09:07 PM
*Maybe* the solution is to have *more* Canadian tournaments?? Australia is *smaller* than Canada and it has 5 or 6 tournaments (both tours combined) *including* the HC. *Why* can't Canada have as many??
Because LSG, Australia has a far richer national sporting association than Canada does. The tennis calender is packed full as it is, and Canada's tennis federation can't even afford to help their own athletes, let alone start another tournament. Until they start helping out our national athletes, they should not look into costly ventures.

Crazy Canuck
Apr 23rd, 2003, 09:08 PM
Why so *snotty*? I was showing respect for your *entire* country when I asked about the Canadian Open so I don't *understand* the attitude.
I wasn't being snotty, I was being curt. This is because the answer is an obvious, simple one: money.

Light-skinned Girl
Apr 23rd, 2003, 09:20 PM
I wasn't being snotty, I was being curt. This is because the answer is an obvious, simple one: money.

Ok I understand *now*. Before this post Rebecca just sounded like a Toronto snob. :p ;)

Julie
Apr 23rd, 2003, 09:37 PM
Bracebridge??? Hmmmm - now theres a place that sounds familiar. Me thinks theres something very very special there, very special to me indeed :kiss: :kiss: :Kiss:

Kanji
Apr 23rd, 2003, 10:10 PM
Bracebridge??? Hmmmm - now theres a place that sounds familiar. Me thinks theres something very very special there, very special to me indeed :kiss: :kiss: :Kiss:
Oh! Lucky something... ;)

Crazy Canuck
Apr 24th, 2003, 03:05 AM
I can't be a Toronto snob... true TO snobs would consider me too much of a hick ;)

ys
Apr 24th, 2003, 03:10 AM
So the *only* Canadians who *benefit* are Ontario and Quebec residents. Don't the two make like 60% of all Canadians?

Kanji
Apr 24th, 2003, 01:09 PM
Don't the two make like 60% of all Canadians?
62,15 % exactly according to last Canada's statistics.

Josh
Apr 24th, 2003, 01:18 PM
Maybe they could move the Bell Challenge from Québec to Vancouver or Edmonton? :devil:

Barrie_Dude
Apr 24th, 2003, 01:42 PM
I can't be a Toronto snob... true TO snobs would consider me too much of a hick ;)
I consider you a hick and I'm not in Toronto! ;) :p

Randy H
Apr 24th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Of course there is something very special in Bracebridge - SANTA'S VILLAGE :D

*Recalling winter car rides to Santa's Village eating frozen licorice*

*sniff* ;)

Randy H
Apr 24th, 2003, 02:35 PM
BTW, A couple seaons ago, there was supposed to be a tour event in Vancouver - It was on the initial WTA tour schedule, but didn't make the final cut :(

Tennis just isn't *that* big in Canada for it to afford to keep moving around to every big city in the country. Not that I want it to anyway, cause I'm greedy ;)

Barrie_Dude
Apr 24th, 2003, 02:38 PM
:wavey: Hi Randy! :bounce: :bounce:

Randy H
Apr 24th, 2003, 02:41 PM
Howdy Barrie :wavey:

King Lindsay
Apr 24th, 2003, 02:42 PM
BTW, A couple seaons ago, there was supposed to be a tour event in Vancouver - It was on the initial WTA tour schedule, but didn't make the final cut :(

For years I have plotted my hideous revenge on the WTA for that folly. I'll let you know when it comes to fruition. FRUITION I SAY.

Randy H
Apr 24th, 2003, 02:44 PM
What a tease, eh King Lindsay?

I was so annoyed when it didn't make the cut - Not like I'd have been able to go or anything, but it'd have been nice to see Canadian players get to play more than just 2 events in their own country aside from 3 very weak 10k events, and a relatively weak 25k.

We deserve more damnit, lol

Dahveed
Apr 24th, 2003, 04:09 PM
Pff we cant even go to Toronto these days cos of that sars virus! :eek:

Barrie_Dude
Apr 25th, 2003, 02:07 PM
Pff we cant even go to Toronto these days cos of that sars virus! :eek:
But we will wait for you, Dahveed! Besides, things are not as bad as the WHO makes them out to be.

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 26th, 2003, 05:39 PM
Maybe they could move the Bell Challenge from Québec to Vancouver or Edmonton? :devil:

No!!!! We want to keep the Challenge!!!! I tiworks very much here!! I think the probvlem is west Canada is that tennis isn't loved as much...

By the way, we are also Jealous that every curling competition are on the WEST!!! We want some!!!

:worship: at curling at the Bell Challenge!!! Especially to its ball boys :p!!!

CD!

Barrie_Dude
Apr 26th, 2003, 05:41 PM
No!!!! We want to keep the Challenge!!!! I tiworks very much here!! I think the probvlem is west Canada is that tennis isn't loved as much...

By the way, we are also Jealous that every curling competition are on the WEST!!! We want some!!!

:worship: at curling at the Bell Challenge!!! Especially to its ball boys :p!!!

CD!
But we had the Scots tournament of hearts in Kitchener!

Barrie_Dude
Apr 29th, 2003, 02:58 PM
Canada!

martinailuv
Aug 9th, 2003, 10:02 AM
we fly to toronto tomorrow! i'm so excited! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Barrie_Dude
Aug 9th, 2003, 04:47 PM
we fly to toronto tomorrow! i'm so excited! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:Want To Meet Me? I Will Sign Autographs! And I Live In Toronto!

martinailuv
Aug 10th, 2003, 04:48 AM
Want To Meet Me? I Will Sign Autographs! And I Live In Toronto!

sure! :D i'll be at the canadian open on tuesday, wednesday and thursday. i want to go to the semifinals and finals but my mum has made plans for us to go to ottawa. :(

Barrie_Dude
Aug 11th, 2003, 01:50 AM
sure! :D i'll be at the canadian open on tuesday, wednesday and thursday. i want to go to the semifinals and finals but my mum has made plans for us to go to ottawa. :(
:o I gave up my tickets the moment that I heard that Jennifer was not coming!

martinailuv
Sep 2nd, 2003, 01:29 PM
:o I gave up my tickets the moment that I heard that Jennifer was not coming!

that's too bad. well i wish we would've met cos i know you're lonely and so am i and we could've kept each other company. :angel: ;) :o

besides don't you live in toronto? i could've stayed with you instead of taking the coach back to bracebridge which is lovely by the way. my mum's friend said i could come stay with her next year for summer hol's so perhaps i'll meet you then barrie. :D