PDA

View Full Version : How come songs on radio can discriminate?

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Apr 18th, 2003, 03:36 PM
Neither the "n" word (for black people) or the "f" word (for gay people) particularly bothers me, but what DOES bother me is the inconsistency.

I think to use the "n" word as a name for someone is very deplorable, such as I think the "f" word as a name for someone.

Why does the FCC allow one and not the other?

So, what do you guys think about the differences.....I think this is only on USA radio..not sure about Canadian, British, etc.

DutchieGirl
Apr 18th, 2003, 04:10 PM
not sure about in the US, but I think in Oz neither word is allowed! :confused:

I'm sure in Holland both words are allowed! ;)

Dava
Apr 18th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Sometime n*gga or sh*t are left in songs, as long as they are not used offesivly. I remember once MTV did'nt cencor the bit of the Get Ur Freak on Video hen they sing Lick Shots and she says "hey you why you f*cking blah!"

korben
Apr 18th, 2003, 04:18 PM
Only in U.S.A , freedom of speach, canīt say ****** or fuck without someone jumping to the throat :rolleyes:

Once in here there has been noice of playing wrong song.
Local Helsinki station had their playlist ready and didnīt bother to alter them what ever the news of the day was.

Happened that in the night two police officers were killed. After the morning news they went on with the playlist "I shot the sheriff" Oops.

~ The Leopard ~
Apr 18th, 2003, 04:31 PM
Well "nigga" (for "******") has been reverse-appropriated by some American blacks hasn't it? The same as the gay community has reverse-appropriated "queer". (There may be a better term for what I mean; I hope it's clear.)

Helen Lawson
Apr 18th, 2003, 04:43 PM
None of my musical numbers contains any profanity, or the "n" or "f" words! I am a class dame all the way.

Neely uses the "f" word a lot, which is surprising given that she had to marry one. When Ted Casablanca was breaking up Neely's marriage to Mel, Ted told Neely that Mel was "the joke of the town." When Neely relayed this to Jennifer, Jennifer responded to Neely, "You know how bitchy 'f's' can be." So, Jennifer, before she overdosed on the blue ones, did use some bad terms. I mean, all Jennifer had was a body and all she knew how to do was take off her clothes, so you really cannot blame her for not knowing any better.

Dava
Apr 18th, 2003, 04:48 PM
To think of it actually they are cencoring some songs at the momment becuase they mention words which connote war. Electric Six and The White Stripes latest arent being played much because of this reason (which is a shame, cos "Seven Nation Army" rules)

Also does anyone remember the reaction there was when J.Lo "said Mr DJ play my mother fucking song in Play!!!"

Cariaoke
Apr 18th, 2003, 08:13 PM
well in my town, they bleep nigga and any cuss word on black radio but like Pink's 'just like a pill' where she says the nurse is being a lil BITCH, they don't bleep that. generally on all radio here in Atlanta, any rap song that contains ass, bitch, nigga, etc., is bleeped but rock songs are allowed to say bitch, whore, ass, damn etc as long as it's not fuck or shit. that pisses me off.

I wish I could say it was just the black stations bleeping themselves but even on the moderate stations that play everything like Q100, pink is allowed to say bitch but no rapper can curse. wtf is that about?

G-Ha
Apr 18th, 2003, 08:20 PM
cariosity, it must be different in Atlanta then, because here in San Diego, bitch was bleeped out in Pink's song and in any other song that contains that word.

I think it's silly to bleep out words on the radio, particularly ones like bitch which have been allowed on public tv in the US since the 80s. But that's ridiculous if they are only targeting rap songs in your area but not others. If it's the word that they consider offensive, it shouldn't matter whose mouth it's coming out of.

Cariaoke
Apr 18th, 2003, 08:34 PM
agreed.

I think also that record companies just automatically make rap artists release edited songs. i.e. Mystikal's Shake it Fast is originally Shake Ya Ass. What did most people hear? Shake it Fast. So, I think it's that problem AND selective editing.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Apr 19th, 2003, 01:46 AM
Actually, my problem is that "******" is bleeped out and "******t" is left in.

Like in Ludacris "Move Bitch Get out the Way"

The word ****** is bleeped out at least 3 times. But , as plain as day, he says,

"All you mutherfucking ******s get out of the way"

They bleep out fucking....but not ******s....why?

I've heard it in a few of Eminems song's as well.

I live in S. Carolina (FYI) and they play Bitch all the time. They don't play shit or fuck.