Apr 18th, 2003, 11:48 AM
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Grammy-winning singer Luther Vandross was
recovering in a New York City hospital Thursday after suffering a
stroke, his spokeswoman said.

The veteran R&B performer, who turns 52 on Saturday, suffered the
stroke Wednesday, according to a statement from his business manager,
Carmen Romano.

"Family and friends are hopeful for a speedy recovery," the statement
said. No further details about his condition were included.

Lois Najarian, a spokeswoman at Vandross' label, J Records, confirmed
that the singer was hospitalized in New York, but said she had
received no further information.

"We're all very optimistic at this point," Najarian said in a
telephone interview.

Vandross won four Grammy awards in the 1990s. His hits include "Jump
to It," "Here and Now" and "Don't Wanna Be a Fool."

doloresc
Apr 18th, 2003, 12:19 PM
luther has struggled with his weight over the years and i believe he has diabetes as well. i wish him a speedy recovery.

Dava
Apr 18th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Gosh I hope he is ok, I used to love that song he did with MC one of her better balleds.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Apr 18th, 2003, 02:37 PM
I heard about this this morning :sad:

He's such a nice guy....I hope he's ok.

Rollo
Apr 18th, 2003, 03:06 PM
Get well Luther. Vandross and Anita Baker=the best in quiet storm music!

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Apr 18th, 2003, 03:55 PM
:sad: speedy recover luther :)

gotta love his ballad with MC... Endless Love... *sigh*

Rae Q.
Apr 18th, 2003, 04:21 PM
:sad: speedy recover luther :)

gotta love his ballad with MC... Endless Love... *sigh*

OMG I didn't even hear about this. Poor Luther. :sad:

Hey Stinger! ;) That's one of my fav duets Luther and Mariah :D Get well soon Luther!

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Apr 18th, 2003, 04:23 PM
hi rae :kiss: hehe, still have that name huh? ;)

*wanna listen to Endless Love*

Cariaoke
Apr 18th, 2003, 04:26 PM
awww get well soon Luther...

*plays endless love* beautiful song.

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Apr 18th, 2003, 04:29 PM
:wavey: cariosity:)

Cariaoke
Apr 18th, 2003, 04:34 PM
:wavey: Marri! :D

Rocketta
May 13th, 2003, 02:55 AM
I hear Luther has Brain Damage <I haven't read it but someone told me they did>.

Pray for him! It will be one of the saddest days in my life if he dies. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Rocketta
May 13th, 2003, 03:03 AM
rocketta are you serious??? :sad: :sad: :sad: aww, man...i so absolutely love his work...

Yeah I hope this person was wrong but he usually scoures the internet for information. I love his work!!! I thought i was going to marry him when I was young. I love him unconditionally! Gay and all, overweight and all. I use to pray that Luther would be happy with himself and just stay plump. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

I've been trying to get my brain around the possibility that he won't be here to make beautiful music but I just can't. I haven't been able to listen to any of my cd's cause it makes me too sad. :sad: :sad: :sad:

Richie77
May 13th, 2003, 06:34 AM
This is just terrible news... :sad: I've loved Luther for years. I still remember listening to the casette single of "Power of Love/Love Power". And remember his duet with Janet Jackson? "The Best Things in Life are Free?" That brings back some carefree memories...

Luther please get well soon!! :sad:

Raisin
May 13th, 2003, 08:07 AM
Luther Vandross was "touch and go" following his stroke three weeks ago, but is steadily improving, according to his mother, Mary Vandross.

"Right after the stroke, he was in grave danger; it was very touch and go," Mary Vandross said in a statement issued Monday (May 12). "But I feel that it is just a matter of time before he improves and to me, his appearance gets better daily. It's a very slow process."

The singer, 52, was forced to undergo a tracheotomy two weeks ago to assist his breathing after contracting pneumonia (see "Vandross Undergoes Tracheotomy, Remains In Critical Condition"). The singer remains in critical but stable condition, according to a hospital spokesperson, and has shown no signs of consciousness since he was found in his New York apartment several hours after suffering a stroke on April 16.

Mary Vandross makes the trip to the intensive care unit at New York's Weill Cornell Medical College hospital every few days from her home in Philadelphia. She said she's been overwhelmed by the support from the singer's friends and admirers, including the Rev. Jesse Jackson, whom she calls "almost every day to pray with me."

Though Vandross remains unresponsive, Mary Vandross said she and the singer's nieces play music and talk to him all day long, spinning such favorites as Aretha Franklin and Dionne Warwick as well as his own music. Among the songs they play for Vandross is the title track to his upcoming album, Dance With My Father, which Mary said her son told her was the best song he has ever written. "In fact, right after he wrote 'Dance With My Father' he called me and he said, 'Mama, I wrote a song for you and daddy, I'm going to bring it and see what you think,' " she said.

The album is still slated for release on June 10. "Knowing how he loves this new album, I believe Luther would want it to come out now and I'm so grateful that he can get this chance," she said. "He is going to recover and when he does, I want him to be greeted with a big success story. He has to recover, he's all I have left, he's my last surviving child."

Aretha Franklin is hosting a candlelight vigil and prayer service for Vandross May 19 at 6:30 p.m at the Little Rock Baptist Church in Detroit. Joining Franklin will be the Ebenezer Mass Choir, her sons, Eddie and Kecalf, and the Four Tops.

óGil Kaufman

Rocketta
May 13th, 2003, 12:24 PM
raison, I heard his mother has been putting out some false information, unfortunately. :sad: She made a statement that he was breathing on his own but then the hospital had to then come out with a statement saying no he was still on a respirator. :(

She posted a lovely message on the Soul Train Boards(I think). When I find it I'll post it here.

Rocketta
May 13th, 2003, 12:26 PM
This is just terrible news... :sad: I've loved Luther for years. I still remember listening to the casette single of "Power of Love/Love Power". And remember his duet with Janet Jackson? "The Best Things in Life are Free?" That brings back some carefree memories...

Luther please get well soon!! :sad:

The Best of Love, cd is one of the all time great albums ever!

Raisin
May 13th, 2003, 02:45 PM
raison, I heard his mother has been putting out some false information, unfortunately. :sad: She made a statement that he was breathing on his own but then the hospital had to then come out with a statement saying no he was still on a respirator. :(

She posted a lovely message on the Soul Train Boards(I think). When I find it I'll post it here.
Why on earth will his mother do that? :sad:
Get well soon Luther :kiss:

Rocketta
May 13th, 2003, 03:11 PM

I don't know maybe the truth is a little too hard for her to deal with now. Needless to say I hope your post was correct and mine was the false information. :sad: :sad: :sad:

Pureracket
May 13th, 2003, 04:03 PM

She did that because she, herself, had gotten false information.

harloo
May 13th, 2003, 04:12 PM
:sad: I think AJ said something about Luther on 106 and Park, and I did not know what he was talking about. I thought he had died. I guess their is alot of false information going around. I hope Luther gets back on track, because his voice was timeless. :sad:

Rocketta
May 21st, 2003, 02:36 AM
Fans Hold Candlelight Vigil for Vandross
published 04:58 PM - MAY 20, 2003 Eastern Time

Fans and fellow singers held a candlelight vigil for R&B artist Luther Vandross, who's recovering from a stroke.

Aretha Franklin, a friend of Vandross, organized Monday night's event at the Little Rock Baptist Church.

"I felt he needed prayer, and he needed it now," said Franklin, who sang "Amazing Grace" for a crowd of 5,000 people.

Five weeks ago, Vandross was discovered in his New York apartment suffering the aftereffects of a stroke. He remains in the intensive care unit of the Weill Cornell Medical Center of New York-Presbyterian Hospital.

The Four Tops, Ortheia Barns, Franklin's sons, Kecalf and Eddie, Ursula Walker and Buddy Budson were among those on the program, The Detroit News reported Tuesday.

Vandross, 52, has written and produced songs for Franklin and designed several dresses for the 61-year-old singer to wear during her upcoming tour.

Music from Franklin, Dionne Warwick and Vandross himself is being played for the singer as he lies unconscious, according to his mother, Mary.

Rocketta
Jun 13th, 2003, 08:27 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Vandross Improving, Moved Out of Intensive Care
Thu Jun 12, 5:31 PM ET Add Entertainment - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Troy Carpenter

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Soul/R&B legend Luther Vandross (news), hospitalized since suffering a stroke April 16, has been moved out of the Intensive Care unit at New York's Weill Cornell Medical College. Vandross' business manager and friend Carmen Romano says the artist's health is improving.
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20030612/amdf297360.jpg

"I am happy to report that Luther Vandross continues to improve and that he is more and more responsive each day. Perhaps most significantly, he is no longer in the Intensive Care unit. I feel as though I am watching a modern day miracle," Romano says in a statement.

Vandross' latest studio album, "Dance with My Father," was released Tuesday (June 10) on J Records. It is the follow-up to 2001's "Luther Vandross," which debuted at No. 2 on Billboard's Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart and has sold 1.2 million copies in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Reuters/Billboard

Richie77
Jun 13th, 2003, 08:47 PM
Great news! :D

Keep getting better, Luther!

Rocketta
Jun 13th, 2003, 09:57 PM
Yeah I'm still praying he gets better and better too! Here's an article about his album which of course I was sure to go pick up. Although I still haven't heard them playing it on the radio. :fiery:

Vandross Has Shot at No. 1 Slot on Pop Chart
21 minutes ago Add Entertainment - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Geoff Mayfield

LOS ANGELES (Billboard) - Stroke-afflicted R&B veteran Luther Vandross (news)' new album, "Dance With My Father," could bounce Metallica (news - web sites) from the No. 1 slot on next week's chart.

The Vandross album is on track to sell about 300,000 copies in the week ended June 15. Such a start would more than double the singer's best Nielsen SoundScan week, achieved when his self-titled J Records debut opened at No. 6 with 135,000 copies in June 2001.

Metallica's St. Anger rules the current charts after selling 418,000 copies in its first week. Its sophomore slide could be softened by fans who were unaware of the band's last-minute decision to release St. Anger five days early on June 5 because of piracy concerns.

English rock band Radiohead's Hail to the Thief is also due for a loud start: retailers' first-day numbers promise a launch in the range of 200,000-250,000.

Vandross, felled by a stroke April 16, has been unable to promote the album's release. But his mother, Mary Vandross, has filled in on the media circuit.

Two singles from American Idol loom large, as second-season runner-up Clay Aiken (RCA) and winner Ruben Studdard (J) can each surpass 200,000, with the former having a shot at a 300,000-plus week. Aiken's might be the first single to surpass 300,000 copies since Brandy & Monica's "The Boy Is Mine" started with 329,000 in 1998.

Reuters/Billboard

Lita's Ex
Jun 14th, 2003, 03:35 AM
I'm so happy to hear good news about Luther Vandross! When I heard he was no longer on the respirator, I was relieved. I've seen his mother, Mary, on TV several times and she's amazing!! Just being so strong for her son.

The title song "Dance With My Father" has become a hit on Adult Contemporary radio. There's been lots of requests for it.