PDA

View Full Version : American TV Shows used to be rubbish. Discuss.

Halardfan
Apr 17th, 2003, 08:02 PM
Spolied as we have been over recent years by top quality US TV shows, its easy to forget that once upon a time American TV shows were rubbish...

Lets go back to the late 70's, and eighties, and take a look at some of what we had to put up with...share your fondness for these great shows! (cough)

Wonder Woman - Camp-as-you-like superheroine action, featuring bouncy Lynda Carter and her magic bracelts/lasoo. Awful. I mean really awful. Still shown on the Sci-Fi Channel UK (9am/3pm). Not that Ive watched it or anything. Load of Crap Rating= 3/5

The A-Team - George Peppard, Mr T, Mad Murdoch and Starbuck of Battlestar Galactica take out villians with the aid of homemade flamethrowers/bazookas/hand grenades. LOCR= 4/5

Dukes of Hazzard - Cheerfully racist good ole' boys have car chases and outwit Boss Hogg and Sherrif Roscoe. Daisy Duke is on hand to bring in the viewers. She wasn't my type. LOCR= 5/5

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century - Cheap looking Star Wars rip-off, featuring a stuttering robot and 'fututristc' outfits. Redeemed by cool theme tune and slinky Erin Grey. Mmmm. LOCR= 2/5

Knight Rider - Same every week. Michael Knight. Stupid talking car. Runs over bad guys. The end. LOCR= 4/5

Airwolf - Same every week. Stringfellow Hawke. Stupid flashy helicopter. Blows up bad guys. The end. 4/5

Baywatch - Tanned, bleached blonde, hideous, silicone enhanced bimbos bounce along in the surf. In slo-mo. Bloody awful useless rubbish. Vile. LOCR= 32/5

Saved by the Bell - Much more recent...I think... its re-run so often its hard to tell. Anwyay I HATE it. HATE it. Vile plastic American teenagers and lots of canned laughter. Perhaps the worst show ever. Did I mention it was vile? LOCR= 78/5.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Apr 17th, 2003, 08:11 PM
Wonder Woman - Camp-as-you-like superheroine action, featuring bouncy Lynda Carter and her magic bracelts/lasoo. Awful. I mean really awful. Still shown on the Sci-Fi Channel UK (9am/3pm). Not that Ive watched it or anything. Load of Crap Rating= 3/5

OMG, Wonder Woman is my hero. I avidly watched this as a child and had a "Wonder Woman" birthday cake for a few of my birthdays (in addition to all of the other collectibles they made). I remember when my mom told me the show was not going to come on again, I just started crying. It was a sad day. Now that I think of it, this was the first inclination that my parents might have had about me being gay.

The A-Team - George Peppard, Mr T, Mad Murdoch and Starbuck of Battlestar Galactica take out villians with the aid of homemade flamethrowers/bazookas/hand grenades. LOCR= 4/5

Grew up on this show every night with me, my mom, my dad, and my brother. Mr. T was so cool! Not to mention the "gun shooting" sounds on the intro.

Dukes of Hazzard - Cheerfully racist good ole' boys have car chases and outwit Boss Hogg and Sherrif Roscoe. Daisy Duke is on hand to bring in the viewers. She wasn't my type. LOCR= 5/5

Being a sutherner and all, this show was great! I always remembered the 2 guys getting in and out of the car without opening the doors. Loved the "drama" scenes!

Knight Rider - Same every week. Michael Knight. Stupid talking car. Runs over bad guys. The end. LOCR= 4/5

The music theme was so futuristic, you really thought one day we would all have our own Kit. Another classic.

Saved by the Bell - Much more recent...I think... its re-run so often its hard to tell. Anwyay I HATE it. HATE it. Vile plastic American teenagers and lots of canned laughter. Perhaps the worst show ever. Did I mention it was vile? LOCR= 78/5.

Saved by the Bell - Saved by the Bell The College Years - Saved by the Bell the new class. All shows are classics ;)

You also forgot to mention
--Full House
--Family Matters
--Just the Eight of Us
--Cosby Show
--Step by Step
--ALF
--Head of the Class

All good shows!

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Apr 17th, 2003, 08:14 PM
i loved those shows :D :bounce:

Car Key Boi
Apr 17th, 2003, 08:20 PM
apart from Saved by the Bell, i loved all those shows! especially Wonder Woman!

Lynda Carter was the origianal MILF (Mother I'd Like to Fuck) :drool:

- Car Key Boi :lick:

decemberlove
Apr 17th, 2003, 08:20 PM
Spolied as we have been over recent years by top quality US TV shows

AND THESE SHOWS WOULD BE????

i used to have wonder woman pajamas :)

how can you not like this show?

i wish I had a talking car... adn the theme song was HOT

haha awww..

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Apr 17th, 2003, 08:24 PM
d-love, you like the Knight Rider theme song? Hehe, have you hear Panjabi Mc's version of it? :D

decemberlove
Apr 17th, 2003, 08:26 PM
d-love, you like the Knight Rider theme song? Hehe, have you hear Panjabi Mc's version of it? :D

lol the one with jay-z in it? with the indian type beat? haha thats a good song for a dance... a booty shaking song ;)

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Apr 17th, 2003, 08:28 PM
uh huh, that's it ;) i was out a couple of weeks ago, and the DJ played that song.. haha so funny :D

Halardfan
Apr 17th, 2003, 09:13 PM
You are all quite mad and have no taste. ;)

The best of US TV shows the last 10-15 years...

The Simpsons - Only the greatest TV show there has ever ever been.

Family Guy - So its kinda like The Simpsons...still very very funny.

Twin Peaks - Weird and wonderful.

Buffy the Vampire slayer - Far better than anyone would expect, very smart and funny.

Cheers - All-time great show, it had it all.

Star Trek Voyager - No, Im not a trekkie...but this series was actually very good.

Brimstone - So it didn't last long...but it was kinda good and had Lori Petty in it. Which was enough for me.

Anyone, ANYONE who reckons Saved By the Bell is better than The Simpsons is delusional, and has less taste than I would have thought possible. :p

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Apr 17th, 2003, 10:24 PM
The Simpsons are definitely one of the best all time shows ever. I think it is like a modern day Shakespeare. I know some of you will think I'm crazy, but if you look at Shakespeare back in the day, he made similar stuff to Matt Groening.

JoeyWinson3.0
Apr 18th, 2003, 01:42 AM
Saved by the bell was utter dire crap... as were other sunday morning television shite like City Guys and USA High...

Chris, you missed out...

Seinfeld (well no wonder you missed it, it was hown at ridiculous times)
Rosanne (sorry, I bloody loved that)

Rtael
Apr 18th, 2003, 01:51 AM
lol chris...most of those shows aren't recent...I do agree the stuff you mentioned in first post all sucked...but the most recent tv sucks just as much the hay-day of American television passed with the furst Survivor... but yeah Seinfeld Roseanne Simpsons Voyager all rock...Cheers great...

ys
Apr 18th, 2003, 02:30 AM
Now, as I read it, I feel deprived, that I spent the best years of my life never - ever watching any of those masterpieces..:devil:

Helen Lawson
Apr 18th, 2003, 12:27 PM
I was offered guest appearances on almost all of those shows!

I turned most of them down, but I did do three episodes of Dukes of Hazzard. I was a long lost sister of Uncle Jesse who had moved North and was a "Yankee." Daisy showed me how to make grits and cook "Southern" with all the kitchen mishaps, but the boys still ate my "cookin.'" Daisy and I did a duet in one scene. I conned Boss Hogg into letting the boys off for some minor offense. They wanted to make me a regular, but Broadway calls.

Neely was offered a guest role on the "A-Team" as an evil sort but she refused to do the love scene with George Peppard, so it was never shot.