PDA

View Full Version : Please stop complaining about the Russian girls playing each other. I love it!

the cat
Apr 16th, 2003, 03:42 PM
Alot of you fans of the female Russian tennis players are complaining about the Russian girls having to play matches against each other. Too bad! I love it! Why? Because it actually assures us of a Russian victor. I thought there would have been more matches of Russian girls versus Russian girls. But they have come along slowly. Now because of the plethora of WTA Russians, the Russian versus Russian matchups are inevitable. And I look forward to such matchups as Elena Dementieva versus Lina Krasnoroutskaya.

And I can't wait until Maria Sharapova starts playing more of her compatriots. Why? Becasue at this stage of her young career she has a better chance to defeat a Russian than a player from another country. I keep hoping Maria will draw a Russian in the first round of these tournaments. But so far she has had no such luck. :(

vaiva
Apr 16th, 2003, 04:03 PM
Cat, this is a free message board so I can complain, can I? :p

Contrary to you, I do not like when two Russian girls play each other because one of them loses and I usually want them both to do well. That said, there is one exception: I enjoy a battle of two Russians when they are contesting the final :)

And can you explain me why Sharapova has more chances to beat a Russian? What is your logic here? :confused:

the cat
Apr 17th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Vaiva, of course you can complain. But you, Eggy and the many other fans of female Russian tennis players have to accept the fact that the Russian girls are going to be playing each other more and more in the future. Especially in the early rounds since so few of them have have a good WTA ranking.

I think Maria Sharapova would beat most of the Russian girls right now. That's why I want her to play them. Remember that there is really only 1 good female Russian tennis player. And her name is Anastasia Myskina. The others have either dissapointed us as players or it's too early in their careers to expect too much from them in terms of good results.

I hope I've changed your mind, Vaiva, I do have a way with words! ;)

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 17th, 2003, 04:58 PM
cat ..... get over yourself
Vera Douchevina beats Maria hands down ;)

other Russian girls would still beat Maria right now as well.
I don't mind them playing but not in 1st rd.

Dava
Apr 17th, 2003, 07:15 PM
I would not mind if the russians were playing each other in the semis and finals but in the first few rounds I dont like it cos I know one of my faves is gonna have an early exit. :sad:

Leena
Apr 17th, 2003, 07:17 PM
I like when Russian play...

Lena has fared well against Russians for the past year or so, and I'll take any win I can get with her. :)

the cat
Apr 17th, 2003, 08:54 PM
Please Eggy. Since Vera D. won junior Wimbledon she hasn't done much. And is she still training in Russia? If so that's a problem. Elena Bovina and Anastasia Myskina didn't really start to blossom until they starting training in America on atleast a part time basis. The same will be true of Vera Douchevina and Maria Kirilenko. Right after Maria started training in Florida last year she won a challenger. And then she played well in a small tournament earlier this year which included a fine win over Angelique Widaja.

Da Dava, you make a good point about how it's hard for you to see the Russian girls playing each other so early in tournaments. But until they earn much higher rankings they are going to play against each other early in tournaments.

And Elena Bovina should be pushing the top ten this year. I don't know what's holding her back. But I'm sure it's mental. With all of these not too tennis bright and not too mentally tough Russian tennis players out there, It's hard to beleive that Russia and the Soviet Union used to produce the most mentally tough athletes in the world! :eek: What happened? Freedom? Money? Something caused the collapse of the mentally tough Russian athleted But what? Even the highly talented and artistic Russian figure skaters and gymnasts regularly crack under pressure in recent years. But they used to be renowned for their mental toughness. But not anymore.

Leena
Apr 17th, 2003, 09:46 PM
And Elena Bovina should be pushing the top ten this year. I don't know what's holding her back. But I'm sure it's mental. With all of these not too tennis bright and not too mentally tough Russian tennis players out there

How can you say Lena isn't mentally tough? :sad:

Lena's game is just too high risk... that is the problem. She has more than enough game to not be so aggressive, trying to hit winners from the baseline every point... but that's where I think maybe a lack of confidence comes into play, in that she doesn't believe in the rest of her game. Lena has said in interviews that she doesn't like her volley game... when IMO, it's pretty damn good, and it must not be too bad if Stubbs wants to play doubles with her. Then again, Lena says she loves her serve... so maybe she's just stupid. :sad:

ys
Apr 17th, 2003, 10:16 PM
Even the highly talented and artistic Russian figure skaters and gymnasts regularly crack under pressure in recent years. But they used to be renowned for their mental toughness.

Meow, meow..

Would you bother to compare the results of women single-skaters from (former USSR ) before and after
1991? Before 1991 they won zip. After 1991, they won quite a bit..

the cat
Apr 18th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Touche ys! ;) You always have an answer. Don't you?

Leena, even though Anastasia Myskina is the best female Russian tennis player. I think Elena Bovina has the most imposing game of the the female Russian tennis players. I don't think anyone would dispute that. She has a potentially awesome backhand and the best first serve of all the female Russian tennis players. She has a chance to do big things in tennis. I don't see why she can't make atleast the semi's of a few grand slam in her career. She is going to be tough to handle if she ever puts it all together. But this year has been a dissapointment to date. I think the expectations are weighing her down the way the have other female Russian tennis players. Most notably Elena Dementieva.

ys
Apr 18th, 2003, 04:52 PM
I think Elena Bovina has the most imposing game of the the female Russian tennis players. I don't think anyone would dispute that.

She is big and relatively slow ( comparing to others ). And unlike her perfect role model - Davenport - she is not anywhere close to Davenport's striking ability.

She has a potentially awesome backhand and the best first serve of all the female Russian tennis players.

Have you ever watched Petrova play?

the cat
Apr 18th, 2003, 10:20 PM
Yes ys, I've seen Petrova play. And she has a good first serve, too. But I saw Bovina serve some powerful and precise first serves in a recent match against Davenport. I'm sure no Russian woman has ever hit serves like that before. And Bovina's backhand is lethal. She still has the potential to be a top 10 player. Will she ever be as good as Davenport? Nyet! But she has the potential to be a very good tennis player.

And ys, when you made your counter point about how female Russian figure skaters have improved since 1991, I forgot to counter your counter. So I'll do so now. Sure, Russian women female skaters have come a long way since 1991. But they still fold when the pressure is on. Maria Butyrskaya came close to winning a bronze medal in 2 Olympics. But the pressure got to her and she came up short both times. And all Irina Slutskaya had to do was skate a solid long program in Salt Lake City and the gold medal was hers. But she couldn't handle the pressure and skated a mediorce routine. And it cost her the gold. Russian women have come a long way in figure skating since 1991. But there is still room to improve on the ice and in the mind.