PDA

View Full Version : what IYO is the best way to revise for big exams?

SJW
Apr 14th, 2003, 06:22 PM
well??

i got finals coming up and the system in England is soooooo fucking hard! im meant to be the first person in my family (of loads) to make it to university LOL :o :( :rolleyes:

my previous methods have been to leave it till the night before and cram and while that has bought me relative success, ive told its NOT a good idea LOL :o

but i have a short attention span and revising long in advance doesnt help me!

HELP!!!!

decemberlove
Apr 14th, 2003, 06:34 PM
what i usually do is after each chapter... or section... i make a small outline of the important parts... study that.
then when the exam comes i have outlines... put them into one big outline... and just study the night before... and then do a quick refresh before the exam lasting usually 30 min - 2hrs depending on how much i know. it usually all comes back to me the night before from studying previously so that i dont even need to study longer than 45 minutes.

it always worked for me.

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Apr 14th, 2003, 06:37 PM
d-love got a good way of doing it. that's how i do it too. so much easier instead of repeating tons and tons of stuff.

JoeyWinson3.0
Apr 14th, 2003, 06:50 PM
A levels then I take it?

How I revised for exams had some pretty decent success, how I used to do it was...

Wake up. Have breakfast and a cup of tea. Shower, clean teeth. Look at myself in the mirror and slap myself round the face shouting "YOU WILL REVISE! REVISE YOU LAZY FOOL!". Watch Daytime TV. Have feeling in back of your head that "I really should be revising now". Get text message from a friend asking you who were functionalist theorists... worry when you don't know. Play on playstation 2. Have tea. Have a beer. Go to bed worrying that that's another day you haven't revised and there's only 8 days left until the exam.

Seriously though... this is what I did -

Cramming is good. But don't JUST cram. You need to know what to cram, and that means preperation. Your preperation is the most important thing about your revision.

I dunno what subjects you are doing... but what I did was read through my notes and books and first pick out the absolute key things you are going to NEED to know to get some kind of decent grade. Highlight these areas (with a highlighter)

Next...write these key things down on cards. Make sure you don't waffle on them, keep it concise and to the point. What I did was make two sets, one that I would carry round with me, and another set which I stuck around the house (much to the annoyance of my dad). Also recite them onto tape and play it back whilst you are doing stuff round the house, like washing pots or tidying up, you'll get sick of your own voice after a bit, but you'll be surprised how much of it goes in!

It's important to get your knowledge of the basics of the subject spot on, then you'll need to look at them in greater depth, but you'll find that if you know the core aspects of your subjects well, these will all fit into place.

Don't panic, yes they are important but keep a steady head. You don't have to revise like mad, it doesnt work like that, take time out to listen to music and that, revise at your own pace but make sure you get in a good quota every day.

Make a timetable but give yourself leeway, no-one ever can honestly say they keep to their revision timetable 100%.

Go to revision classes after school if you must, and ask your tutors what revision guides they recommend... some are very good, some are not so good.

Also have a look round the net for revision websites, the BBC one is actually quite good.

But yeah, stay calm, stay organised, stay focused. Do all those and you will pass. And good luck!

oggie
Apr 14th, 2003, 06:51 PM
I have an animal physiology exam tomorrow and an ecology day after tomorrow. Study important concepts (especially memory stuff) at night before you go to bed - that way there are least distractions for the brain and you remember the stuff best. If you have trouble focussing (as I do) try reading material at loud or at least whisper it out - it forces you to pay attention. Reciting in your head is also good (summarise main points in your head - if you don't remember them now, you won't remember them for the exam). I know that this may sound silly, but sometimes when I study I have my head upside down (ex. I am lying flat on the bed and tilting my head down the edge of the bed) - it improves blood flow to your head and helps you think better (yoga stuff). And, if nothing else works, coffee is still an option. Hope this helps and wish me good luck tomorrow and on Wednesday.

JoeyWinson3.0
Apr 14th, 2003, 06:52 PM
d love's advice is spot on too :)

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Apr 14th, 2003, 06:59 PM
do some of you make those "mind maps" ? lol. using a A3 sheet of something and then you start with the topic in the middle, and just make a map... lol confusing.... but i'm sure some of you know what i mean :angel:

SJW
Apr 14th, 2003, 07:03 PM
A levels then I take it?

How I revised for exams had some pretty decent success, how I used to do it was...

Wake up. Have breakfast and a cup of tea. Shower, clean teeth. Look at myself in the mirror and slap myself round the face shouting "YOU WILL REVISE! REVISE YOU LAZY FOOL!". Watch Daytime TV. Have feeling in back of your head that "I really should be revising now". Get text message from a friend asking you who were functionalist theorists... worry when you don't know. Play on playstation 2. Have tea. Have a beer. Go to bed worrying that that's another day you haven't revised and there's only 8 days left until the exam.

thats exactly what im doing at the moment!

thanks 4 responding guys

now im off to watch Eastenders

speak laterz ;):wavey:

Emola
Apr 14th, 2003, 07:08 PM
thanks for this advice guys :) I also have exams soon!

decemberlove
Apr 14th, 2003, 07:10 PM
do some of you make those "mind maps" ? lol. using a A3 sheet of something and then you start with the topic in the middle, and just make a map... lol confusing.... but i'm sure some of you know what i mean :angel:

no can you explain more?
im clueless :(

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Apr 14th, 2003, 07:29 PM
well, it's not that easy, especially not with my stupid english...

let's say you are reading this book. and you write the books title in the middle. and while you read, topics appear and you make kind of an arrow out from the middle. and then you can write down assosiations you have to that topic, underneath the topic lol. It's just a way of putting things into categories.

i've made an example using Wtaworld as a topic. and it's quite ugly coz i did it on the comp. better when you write it ;)

a real "map" would so much bigger.. and it's great use when you are repeating stuff. you just find what you need to know, and then you'll have everything there.

SJW
Apr 14th, 2003, 07:34 PM
EM it sucks doesnt it!?

almost as much as supporting the Reds since November :(:o

STE-VEN GE-RRARD! *clapclap, clapclapclap*

;):D

irma
Apr 14th, 2003, 07:36 PM
work hard so that you don't have regrets afterwards!

decemberlove
Apr 14th, 2003, 07:56 PM
OHHH!

we used to do those for english... we called them webs :)
i never even thought to apply it to studying... hmm.. its a good idea

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Apr 14th, 2003, 07:59 PM
OHHH!

we used to do those for english... we called them webs :)
i never even thought to apply it to studying... hmm.. its a good idea

you're welcome :)

Emola
Apr 14th, 2003, 08:59 PM
EM it sucks doesnt it!?

almost as much as supporting the Reds since November :(:o

STE-VEN GE-RRARD! *clapclap, clapclapclap*

;):D

hi :)

yeah it does!!:( but it has to be done unfortunately!Hey, I always enjoy supporting the reds :o:) even if we have been going through our worst patch for 50 years :(

SJW
Apr 14th, 2003, 09:38 PM
ive always enjoyed supporting them too! ever since i saw sense and stopped "supporting" manchester United (i was like 5 OK!)!

the two years previous were amazing with the trophies and the RU in the league and all, and the beatings of MU and Arsenal, but bar the WC, this season has been d/hill since that loss to Basle :(

im already looking to next season :rolleyes:

JoeyWinson3.0
Apr 14th, 2003, 09:45 PM
Are you doing the A2 levels or AS?

Emola
Apr 14th, 2003, 11:47 PM
ive always enjoyed supporting them too! ever since i saw sense and stopped "supporting" manchester United (i was like 5 OK!)!

the two years previous were amazing with the trophies and the RU in the league and all, and the beatings of MU and Arsenal, but bar the WC, this season has been d/hill since that loss to Basle :(

im already looking to next season :rolleyes:

oh yeah roll on next season :o I think that was the match where it all started to go downhill :(

Thanks everyone for advice I hate revision but I know I got to do it.

decemberlove
Apr 14th, 2003, 11:51 PM
When I did GCSE / A-level I condensed all my notes onto a couple of sides of A4, which helped a lot. It's up there somewhere, you just need something to jog your memory.

Now at University, its a similar situation to Joey. You go to bed the night before with good intentions, get up too late, and it never happens. This carries on until the day before the exam, and I suddenly think, right I REALLY do need to revise now!

So basically then I hurry through my books, trying to wake up dormant facts in my brain, and end up writing stupid one-word notes! People must think I'm an idiot before I go into the exam, because they are all standing there with their folder of notes, and there's me with a scrappy piece of paper with words randomly scattered across the page! However, I find it works O.k, as long as it jogs your memory anyway. No use trying to learn something hours before the exam - it just won't stick.

whats with all this A-level A4 AS stuff? im confused.

its true thou... a few key words can help with the recall.

~ The Leopard ~
Apr 15th, 2003, 12:55 AM
There seems to be a lot of good advice here. I haven't read it all but, at a glance, it looks similar to my technique.

I do cram. But I also work in a disciplined way to produce very good "revision notes" during the year (or at least in the couple of weeks leading up to the exam...if I've been bad). The process of producing notes that force me to understand the material, analysing it, summarising it, and putting it in my own words, gives me some mastery of the concepts well before the exam. If the notes are good enough, I only have to study them thoroughly, and can more or less throw away the material that they are based on, unless I need to clarify a point.

I had a lot of success at Law School with this method (high honours grades all the way), and I don't see why it wouldn't work for others doing most other courses.

possie
Apr 15th, 2003, 01:16 AM
I do cram. But I also work in a disciplined way to produce very good "revision notes" during the year (or at least in the couple of weeks leading up to the exam...if I've been bad). The process of producing notes that force me to understand the material, analysing it, summarising it, and putting it in my own words, gives me some mastery of the concepts well before the exam. If the notes are good enough, I only have to study them thoroughly, and can more or less throw away the material that they are based on, unless I need to clarify a point.

This sounds like me !!!!

Another technique I find helpful is, once I've made my study notes, I pick on some (poor) member of my family (i.e. Mum when she's cooking dinner etc.) and try and "teach" her my work. Going through points, trying to explain the concepts to someone else and even just verbalising your study notes really helps. They say that if you can teach the material to someone else then you know it yourself.

If all else fails, go talk to yourself in the bathroom mirror :o

Hope this helps.....good luck to all with upcoming exams :kiss: .

Leena
Apr 15th, 2003, 01:22 AM
well??

i got finals coming up and the system in England is soooooo fucking hard! im meant to be the first person in my family (of loads) to make it to university LOL :o :( :rolleyes:

my previous methods have been to leave it till the night before and cram and while that has bought me relative success, ive told its NOT a good idea LOL :o

but i have a short attention span and revising long in advance doesnt help me!

HELP!!!!
Cheat. By any means. There's a reason why ultra ugly, ultra intelligent males exist.

toreador
Apr 15th, 2003, 04:12 AM
what i usually do is after each chapter... or section... i make a small outline of the important parts... study that.
then when the exam comes i have outlines... put them into one big outline... and just study the night before... and then do a quick refresh before the exam lasting usually 30 min - 2hrs depending on how much i know. it usually all comes back to me the night before from studying previously so that i dont even need to study longer than 45 minutes.

it always worked for me.
that's my method too;) but not in all lessons:o

DutchieGirl
Apr 15th, 2003, 04:17 AM
Don't take exams, then you don't have to study for them! ;)

SJW
Apr 15th, 2003, 01:37 PM
LOLOLOLOL@Leena! u r 2 funny!

inky: i wish it was that simple ;)

Emola
Apr 15th, 2003, 01:43 PM
Don't take exams, then you don't have to study for them! ;)

lol Sarah ;) Im afraid my college place counts on these exam results and I really want to get there!:)

Emola
Apr 15th, 2003, 01:46 PM
yeah basically its half an A level to put it simply.It means that you can drop a subject in the 2nd year but still get an AS level, so it is a qualification.