PDA

View Full Version : Serena's explanation...

spokenword73
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:24 AM
Found this on yahoo.com regarding her loss to Justine at FCC:

"My whole game was 9,000 notches down," Williams said. "I can't be on my top level every day, and today's just one of those days I just didn't play well. I didn't serve well, I didn't return well. I didn't hit well."

Justine countered that Serena made mistakes because of Justine mixing it up ;)

GoGoMaggie
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:29 AM
I didn't watch the match so I'm not too positive, but I'm sure Serena didn't play at her best (the straight set win over Serena!! No way she played her best or even close!!) But at the same time, I think Justine is also right saying she forced Serena into those unforced errors. It's not easy to stay in long rallies against Serena who hits so hard with acute angles. Justine must have retrieved really well. Well done, Justine. Hope you will continue this great form.

Leena
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:30 AM
People have already yapped about this in numerous threads... yadda yadda Serena's an arrogant bitch... yadda yadda stupid arguments.

WtaTour4Ever
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:32 AM
IMO Serena didn't play her best, part of that ..she was off, BUT a good portion of that was b/c of the variety of Justine's game.....Serena tends to have problems with players like Justine ....Period....

Myskina Lina
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:33 AM
Sure, Serena's an arrogant bitch but Venus is an Angel :angel:

Yap Yap Yadda Yadda :p

selesfan
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:39 AM
IMO Serena didn't play her best, part of that ..she was off, BUT a good portion of that was b/c of the variety of Justine's game.....Serena tends to have problems with players like Justine ....Period....

I agree! That is why she had such a hard time against Loit at the Aussie Open and why she owns Lindsay because Lindsay hits the ball nice and flat just the way she likes it.

starr
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:41 AM
Mix it up and keep it deep. Run down shots she thinks aren't coming back. Get her to yell at the linesmen and say "fuck you." Yeah. That's the game plan. :)

That's Jen's problem against her too.... Jen hits flat.

disposablehero
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:53 AM
Maybe she's tired again.

Messenger
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:55 AM
That was a stupid thing to say disposable. It's obvious it was food poisoning.

BK4ever
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:55 AM
Get over it folks...she lost...blah blah blah

starr
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:59 AM
Oh come on BK. Why shouldn't we enjoy it, even though Serena was 9,000 notches below her best?

BK4ever
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:00 AM
Oh come on BK. Why shouldn't we enjoy it, even though Serena was 9,000 notches below her best?

Actually I was more referring to the fact that this has already been discussed in another thread

and yes...i agree with you...rena was far below her best today ;)

Rocketta
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:04 AM
wow people sure hate the truth. She played horrible. That's a fact. Justine did what she needed to win and no one refutes that. If you all think this is going to be the norm and not the exception more power to you. I think you're insane in the membrain but it's you're perogative.

Or maybe you need to hear. Serena played pretty good but Justine was just soo good Serena or any one could've beat her. :rolleyes: If you think that I have some swamp land to sell you.

kiwifan
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:07 AM
Uh, watched the match a couple of hours ago on tape. When Serena was on she was blowing Henin off the court.

When she was off she couldn't keep the ball in play.

Henin had some decent points but she mainly kept the ball in play. There was no masterful "mixing it up" in her game. Strong deep shots while waiting for Mama Smash to implode.

And that's what happened, Serena blew it.

Everyone can blah blah blah all they want, Serena's still the best and Henin is still a good solid player.

Henin was the favorite to win the French last year, anyone remember that long ago?

Better that Serena lose now that in the Slam.

The Slams are all that matters.

starr
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:09 AM
It's the arrogant posts like the ones in leslie's thread that make this win so lovely.

But one thing is certain. Serena's days at number one are numbered. She has no way to go but down.

franny
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:10 AM
ok, i watched the match, and taped it, and because i loved it, i watched it again. People, you all knwo i dont love serena or am even a fan of hers, but i have to admit, the games she lost she played terrible, the games she won she played amazing. This was a wierd match, serena would hit 10 errors in a row, and then 6 winners in a row, and its just wierd. But i have to give justine credit, she was running EVERYTHIGN down, hitting the ball hard one minute, and then putting topspin the next, and then slicing it low, and then she can hit winners sometimes, and then you kno, it was great. Lets put it this way, i'll score it. Serena's performance was was 7/13(i gave her a possible 13 out of ten to stress that when she's at her best, its impossible to beat her, because most people only have a possiblity of a 10) and i gave justine an 8/10. So who played better? Justine.

Infiniti2001
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:16 AM
But one thing is certain. Serena's days at number one are numbered. She has no way to go but down.

Of course they are, no player stays there forever :rolleyes:

LeonHart
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:20 AM
I agree with your post!! Justine wasn't playing her best either, it was a streaky game...

GoGoMaggie
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:23 AM
It doesn't matter if they played their best. Who won is all that counts at the end of the day isn't it?

BasicTennis
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:26 AM
Of course Serena is human and could definetely learn from this match. This is just a wake up call for her in time for the RG:devil:. Justine just didn't give Serena rythm by mixing up her shots, which IMO is effective tactic on clay.:)

GoGoMaggie
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:29 AM
I'm sure this loss took a lot of pressure off Serena's shoulders as well as making her stronger and hungrier. Watch out for Serena Willams at the RG, everyone!!!

BasicTennis
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:32 AM
I'm sure this loss took a lot of pressure off Serena's shoulders as well as making her stronger and hungrier. Watch out for Serena Willams at the RG, everyone!!!
I couldn't agree more......this would make Serena concentrate on tennis more and forget her hollywood ambitions for good. :worship:

anton
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:33 AM
this is great

but i missed the match.

i think justine is a better clay player than serena.

serena plays hard court tennis on clay and gets away with it 90% of the time.

BasicTennis
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:35 AM
this is great

i think justine is a better clay player than serena.

....this is the reason why Serena owns a Roland Garros Trophy. :worship:

anton
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:52 AM
....this is the reason why Serena owns a Roland Garros Trophy. :worship:

you left off the rest of my comments. i said serena plays hardcourt tennis on clay and she does. justine mixes it up and is more of a clay player. ask serena and she will tell you the same thing if she is telling the truth.

also head to head justine leads 2-1 on clay.

justine also beat venus on clay and was up 6-2, 4-0 40-0 last year against venus but then her game fell apart.

BasicTennis
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:58 AM
you left off the rest of my comments. i said serena plays hardcourt tennis on clay and she does. justine mixes it up and is more of a clay player. ask serena and she will tell you the same thing if she is telling the truth.

also head to head justine leads 2-1 on clay.

justine also beat venus on clay and was up 6-2, 4-0 40-0 last year against venus but then her game fell apart.

LOL if Serena could make a clay court a hard court then it appears that she is the best clay courter....imagine that even clay court follows her game. :worship:

starr
Apr 14th, 2003, 06:00 AM
Of course they are, no player stays there forever :rolleyes:

That was my point. Glad you were able to catch it. :)

BasicTennis
Apr 14th, 2003, 06:04 AM
It's the arrogant posts like the ones in leslie's thread that make this win so lovely.

yeah...her days at number one are numbered and I would say at least "4 more years" to go.:worship:

Zenith
Apr 14th, 2003, 06:32 AM
I agreed Serena played poorly, but kudos to Justine for capitalising on it and not got too intimidated. People have been talking about Kim this and Kim that and totally ignoring the damage Justine can create. I think she is a vastly under-rated player and should get the respect she deserves. I really want to see her kick Kim's ass the next time they meet.

Midnite Surfer
Apr 14th, 2003, 07:26 AM
Serena lost the match because she had a weird aversion to coming into the net. She would have Justine on the ropes, and throwing back defensive sliceees but Serena refused to come in. And when she did she would attempt some assinine ground stroke that either went into the net or the first row of the audience. She refused to accept the fact that she wasn't going to blow Justine off of the court because clay allows her to stay in points with Serena. Now do not get me wrong but many players tend to play Serena like pushers. Justine is in no way shape or form a pusher but I think she realized that she had to play Serena like one.

Filip!
Apr 14th, 2003, 07:28 AM
Why can't a lot of Serena-fans just say that Justine played very good???

She was returning every shot, Serena did not know what she could do against Justine's defense!

Is it so difficult to give her the respect she deserves?

I think I'm going to stop posting on WTA-world, you always see here a lot of frustrated people who say bad things about the player who defeated their favo's!!!

Hagar
Apr 14th, 2003, 09:33 AM
Serena should give some credit to Justine instead of blaming her loss on her off day. She's a damn good tennis player but she lacks grace.

per4ever
Apr 14th, 2003, 09:41 AM
Justine didn't have to play her best tennis to beat Serena..but who cares.

It's up to Serena to play well when needed, that's tennis.

tennisjam
Apr 14th, 2003, 12:04 PM
Why can't she give credit to Justine?...

In many fields of the game she was better then Justine...

She was just effectively counterpunched...

leslie
Apr 14th, 2003, 12:50 PM

Starr why do you hate Serena is it because she is black? Just a simple question. And for the record I do not hate Justine, I just did not think she would beat Serena yesterday but she proved me wrong and congrats to her. Again, why do you hate Serena is it because she is black, she won 4 in a rowe she whips everyones butt including your favs., is it because she is more famous that your favs, is it because she is confident. Just tell me.

catkey94
Apr 14th, 2003, 12:55 PM
I think Justine does deserve credit for her win. She was really chasing down a lot of balls. Serena was sending her from sit to side with those balls and she ran them all down. After some of those long rallies there was nothing Serena could do except try her best to end it which in turn ended up causing the error.

Justine also came out with a game plan against Serena and stuck to it. Her coach told her to keep the ball high and she did, she also didn't get into a slugging match against Serena's power. Justine played her game and didn't play the power game like so many players try to do against Serena.

leslie
Apr 14th, 2003, 12:59 PM
I agreed Serena played poorly, but kudos to Justine for capitalising on it and not got too intimidated. People have been talking about Kim this and Kim that and totally ignoring the damage Justine can create. I think she is a vastly under-rated player and should get the respect she deserves. I really want to see her kick Kim's ass the next time they meet.

You are so right I want to see Justine kick kim's butt the worse way. I also would like Justine to win a GS before Kim. Belgium worships Kim one would never think that Justine is from Belgium also.

CJ07
Apr 14th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Justine played well, but Serena...was...off

she was never in that match mentally, she looked like she wanted to be somewhere else
and she never got into that "oh im losing" mode
its like she wasnt interested

Oizo
Apr 14th, 2003, 01:24 PM
IMO Serena couldnīt handle Justineīs style of game and especially the mixing thing. It would have been nice if she would have given credit to Juju, for playing better than her. But... :rolleyes:

Hagar
Apr 14th, 2003, 01:28 PM
Justine played well, but Serena...was...off

she was never in that match mentally, she looked like she wanted to be somewhere else
and she never got into that "oh im losing" mode
its like she wasnt interested

Well, did it ever occur to you that she wanted to be somewhere else BECAUSE SHE COULD NOT HANDLE JUSTINE'S GAME?
Serena surely knows how to win a tennis match, next step is that she learns to lose one with grace and class.

irma
Apr 14th, 2003, 01:35 PM
why do people want players to lie about how they feel about a match? I have noticed this is now for the last 13 years and I think it's ridiculous

if serena feels that she played like crap then she is allowed to say that!

some people don't like to bake sweet bread!

irma
Apr 14th, 2003, 01:39 PM
if she would say justine sucks and no way I should lose to such a bitch then I would say alright but she is only critising herself!

Infiniti2001
Apr 14th, 2003, 01:39 PM
Serena acknowledged henin at the net, should she have kissed her ass at the press conference too?? Good grief!!!

starr
Apr 14th, 2003, 01:45 PM
Starr why do you hate Serena is it because she is black? Just a simple question. And for the record I do not hate Justine, I just did not think she would beat Serena yesterday but she proved me wrong and congrats to her. Again, why do you hate Serena is it because she is black, she won 4 in a rowe she whips everyones butt including your favs., is it because she is more famous that your favs, is it because she is confident. Just tell me.

That gave me a good laugh, Leslie.

Mainly, I just like taking a piss at her fans who gloat and dismiss all other players. :) That's why I kept recycling your thread about Justine not having a chance against Serena. It was more than that you "did not think she would beat Serena yesterday." You thought she didn't have a chance in hell against Serena.

Yeah. I remember something about "shriveling like a prune." LOL

Maybe Serena was counting on her to shrivel too!

veronica
Apr 14th, 2003, 02:23 PM
I give all credit to Justine. She won. Serena looked lazy out there and didn't seem willing to stay on court long enough to win the match. It was like she was trying to do a 50 minute blow out and serve Justine up a couple breadstix but Justine wasn't going to let it happen.

I have no doubt that if Serena decides she is going to stay on court and work a match on clay she will win every time. She played like she had a date waiting in the wings and couldn't wait to do her hair so she could go out.

Bad Serena! LOL!

bandabou
Apr 14th, 2003, 02:42 PM
Good point, Irma. Why should Serena be "gracious" anyway?! I mean she congratulated Justine at the net and that's it. In a sense she was right. The little times she played well, Justine didn't have any chance...

People always moan about grace and bla bla. What was Serena supposed to do?! Say that Justine was the one who would go on the win the next 4 slams?! Pluuuuzzzz!!

All no.1's tend to have an attitude like that, isn't it Irma?!

sartrista7
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:12 PM
You know... Serena's attitude in press conferences is not very important, but if you're a Serena fan you'd better hope she realises why she was 9000 notches below her normal level... it's because Justine was forcing the errors. Giving her junk, mixing up defence and aggression, running everything down (and Justine's footspeed REALLY was impressive).

Serena v Justine on clay is the only genuinely unpredictable matchup involving Serena now.

Volcana
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Serena didn't play her BEST.

However, Justine fed her a wide variety of shots. If Justine had just fed her hard flat shots as Lindsay did, Serena might have pulled it out. Justine played Serena in a way Serena had to be on top of her game to win.

That is, Justine forced the issue to be, If Supergirl shows up, Serena wins. If the world #1 with her B+ game show up, Justine wins.

You could say they are both half right.

sartrista7
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:25 PM
Well... it also seems that Justine's learnt the running-everything-down-and-getting-it-back-deep trick. Serena wanted winners early in the rallies, Justine wasn't having any of it. When Serena got the winners, no one could say she wasn't playing at least her B game - I mean, she won the first 11 straight points of the second set, which was pretty breathtaking. But Justine really did reveal that, on clay, Serena still has a couple of issues with patience.