PDA

View Full Version : Julia Vakulenko

Gowza
Apr 14th, 2003, 03:12 AM
i just want to know how many fans she has and how far do you think she can go. i haven't seen her play but i'm still a fan. i've been waiting a long time to see her breakthrough on the wta tour and she is starting to find her feet a bit. at least she is starting to qualify for some events nowadays.

she just qualified for a tier 2 event and faces amy frazier in the first round which i'm hoping julia can win because amy has been out for awhile and moght be rusty. 2nd round julia would play raymond who has played quite well this year but hasn't played much lately so she also might have some rust then she would probably play dokic (hopkins is playing very badly pisnik could get through).

at the moment i'm just hoping julia can win that first round match.

Jordan.
Apr 14th, 2003, 03:16 AM
She hits very very hard, she was hitting with Vera in Scottsdale, so thats why I'm a fan... ;) She's very streaky in matches.. (winning 4 games in a row, losing 5 games in a row, etc.) But once she gains consistency, she will be a big threat! :D

Experimentee
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:49 AM
How can you be a fan if you havent seen her before? I could never do that.

Gowza
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:39 AM
a few years ago when i first got started in tennis i decided to pick a bunch of players that i would follow and i decided that i would pick young players so i can follow their whole career. and julia happened to be one of those players. i hope she rises in the ranks so i can go see her play. i also followed tulyaganova for a couple of years before i finally got to see her. nowadays i pick them from juniors.

i don't get to see much tennis. i've only been to the olympics once and the oz open once so when i go to tournaments i try to see as many players as possible.

per4ever
Apr 14th, 2003, 09:49 AM
Julia is big girl..she has a good strong serve and powerful strokes. She tends to overhit too much and isn't very strong mentally. She can improve a lot and can become a second Bovina imo.

one of my pictures from Julia:

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 14th, 2003, 10:02 AM
Her fav surface is clay too
she should beat Amy if she finds her groove

V.Melb
Apr 14th, 2003, 10:49 AM
She is very powerfull and has quite a hard serve so i compare her to Bovina a lot. She cuffs the ball at an increadable rate when she gets onto it cleanly. But she is prone to inconsistency.

Gowza
Apr 14th, 2003, 11:06 AM
i really wish i could see her play the way you guys are talking about her. someone in another thread (not sure who or which thread) recently said that she had no touch and couldn't volley and when she plays doubles she doesn't look like she belongs there. any confirmation on this info?

if she becomes more consistent how far do you think she can go? how higfh in the ranks and how well can she do in the big events?

per4ever
Apr 14th, 2003, 11:18 AM
She has raw talent, definitly So I wouldn't say she has no touch. She prefers baseline rallies, good one handed forehand, two handed backhand. Volleys are not that bad imo, but she still needs to learn a lot.

If she can become consistent I think she could reach top 30...but that's so hard to predict

V.Melb
Apr 14th, 2003, 11:46 AM
hmmm... I saw her play twice live. At Aus open qualies this year and when she lost 0-6 0-6 to Yuka Yoshida at aus open qualies.
She was hitting much more powerfull this year then when i saw her play Yoshida. Her serve was also much more powerfull. She has top 50 poential. But she needs a much more diverse game to reach top 30. She not particularly fast, so she needs to have the ability to hit different types of shots and be a little bit tricky (ie.Tanasugarn, Suarez, Serna)

But i agree with per4ever....she has raw talent.