PDA

View Full Version : Mike Weir is going to win The Masters

disposablehero
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:01 PM
Mike Weir is the Greatest Canadian Golfer Of All Time!

Steam
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:06 PM
Mike Weir is the Greatest Canadian Golfer Of All Time!

Damn you Phil Mickelson. Come through for once.

Jarrett
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:09 PM
Phil did NOT play bad, he played well. Actually the best he ever has in the last round of the masters. It was just a little late.

Steam
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:10 PM
Phil did NOT play bad, he played well. Actually the best he ever has in the last round of the masters. It was just a little late.

I know, but it is just frustrating watching him lose major after major.

Jarrett
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:11 PM
I know, but it is just frustrating watching him lose major after major.

Yes, very. :fiery:

angele87
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:14 PM
I'm so happy for Mike Weir :D This is really great for him!! First major win ever for a Canadian :D :bounce:

CONGRATS MIKE!! :kiss:

disposablehero
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:16 PM
The amazing part is, Mike was about 10th in the world in 2001, then stunk the joint out last year.

angele87
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:16 PM
Maybe tonight golf will be first up on TSN's sports center instead of hockey ;)

disposablehero
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:17 PM
Maybe tonight golf will be first up on TSN's sports center instead of hockey ;)

Hopefully Curling goes no higher than 3rd up.

angele87
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:18 PM
The amazing part is, Mike was about 10th in the world in 2001, then stunk the joint out last year.
He's having an amazing 2003 though :D 3 wins this year including the Masters :D :bounce:

GBFH
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:22 PM
Does anyone think Weir looks like George Lazenby?

angele87
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:29 PM
It's great to see the green jacket on Mike :D

Crazy Canuck
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:31 PM
Yay :bounce: !

Okay, so I don't usually watch golf, but I can be patriotic too ;)

I was having a nice old nap when my friend yelled from the TV lounge "there is a Canadian in the playoffs for the Masters"... in my half asleep state, I thought that maybe he was kidding but came out to see what the deal was anyhow. And, lo and behold, there was Weir. Congrats for him, I fogive him for making me get out of bed ;)

~CANUCK~
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:39 PM
Way to go mike...im so freakin happy for you...god its about time a canadian won a major...let alone the masters...the green suits you...hopefully we will see you wearing that jacket a few more times in your career :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

angele87
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:40 PM
Shame on you Becca for not watching ;) :p

I'm a huge golf fan :D My #1 is Tiger but I'm so excited for Mike that I don't even care that Tiger played like crap lol...

Hurley
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:47 PM
That was great :D I quite like this Mike person :D

And I loved the clip show at the end, with little Mike playing hockey, and Mike playing golf, and ending with Mike's wife jumping into his arms...I always cry after watching golf :mad: I never cry at real life...but golf, always :mad:

Leena
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:50 PM
I watched the end too... I like Mike Weir, he's cute. :) The clips of him when he was young playing hockey was soooo cute. Very nice. :)

Undoubtedly best Canadian golfer ever now, and he's won 3 titles already this year! :eek:

Mike Weir > Tiger

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:54 PM
whats golf ???????

Is it the game where you aim the ball at the people's head as they trying to put it in the hole ahead ?? ;) ;)

i did that 1st time i played and got shouted at :o

Masters is the only event i normally watch outside the Ryder cup.

WOW a Canadian winning :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

angele87
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:59 PM
The scene with Mike and his wife after he won was adorable :hearts: :angel:

Central
Apr 14th, 2003, 12:02 AM
I'm not watching, but...

He's lefthanded, isn't he? If so, is it true that he's the first one to win the Masters?

angele87
Apr 14th, 2003, 12:04 AM
They're showing the ceremony on golf central and Mike said he wanted to thank all the fans back in Canada :angel: And he has some nice words for Tiger :D

angele87
Apr 14th, 2003, 12:04 AM
I'm not watching, but...

He's lefthanded, isn't he? If so, is it true that he's the first one to win the Masters?
Yup, he is :)

angele87
Apr 14th, 2003, 12:05 AM
:D :bounce:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030413/capt.1050278128.masters_auh182.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030413/capt.1050278376.masters_auh183.jpg

Crazy Canuck
Apr 14th, 2003, 12:16 AM
That was great :D I quite like this Mike person :D

And I loved the clip show at the end, with little Mike playing hockey, and Mike playing golf, and ending with Mike's wife jumping into his arms...I always cry after watching golf :mad: I never cry at real life...but golf, always :mad:
You cried! Bloody brilliant that is, lol... Golf reactions aren't exciting enough to make me cry. About the only guy in golf that I know of who is crazy enough to react in a manner that might amuse me beyond a smile, is Garcia... who stunk up the field this time (it's the Hingis curse) ;)

Crazy Canuck
Apr 14th, 2003, 12:18 AM
Well the jacket is better on Tiger, but he'll get to wear it another half dozen times or so before he's done ;)

So :bounce: :D

Hawk
Apr 14th, 2003, 12:19 AM
Yay Mike!!! :bounce:

Congrats on your first major! :D

~SunFlower~
Apr 14th, 2003, 12:19 AM
:kiss: :bounce: :kiss: :bounce: :kiss: :bounce: :kiss: :bounce: :kiss: :bounce: MASTERFUL MIKE!!!!! :kiss: :bounce: :kiss: :bounce: :kiss: :bounce: :kiss: :bounce: :kiss: :bounce:

I couldn't stop crying... It's so unbelieveable.... I am so proud of him and his great smile....

I am proud that I am Canadian... :kiss:

Crazy Canuck
Apr 14th, 2003, 12:37 AM
So Canadians, is this up there with our gold medal hockey team? ;) ;)

kazzmazz
Apr 14th, 2003, 12:42 AM

Nah! ;)

But according to CBS commentators, Mike Weir is the pride of Canada. Last week it was Steve Nash :confused:

That was great. I never knew watching golf could be so thrilling! Congrats Mike!! :D :bounce: :worship:

Leena
Apr 14th, 2003, 12:43 AM
Americans never gave a shit about the hockey game... so it's easily Weir over here. :)

Ryan
Apr 14th, 2003, 01:13 AM
Amazing job Mike! You nearly gave me a heartattack on 18, but excellent way to finish it up in the playoff!:D:D:D:bounce:

I felt bad for that Len dude, he started crying in his interview afterwards.

Another :bounce: for good measure.:D

Leena
Apr 14th, 2003, 01:14 AM
Len should have just been thankful he got to a playoff... he had a horseshoe up his ass all round.

Crazy Canuck
Apr 14th, 2003, 02:06 AM
Americans never gave a shit about the hockey game... so it's easily Weir over here. :)
If they had won, they would have cared.. :)

Besides, I did address my rather sarcastic comment to Canadians for good reason ;)

cyberix
Apr 14th, 2003, 02:11 AM
I'm not watching, but...

Yes, that's true. The only other lftie to win a major is Bob Charles who won the British Open way back.

I am doubly happy today.
First being a left handed golfer myself Mike thrilled me today, and so did juju who beat serena in 2 sets.

:bounce: WOW :bounce:

cyberix
Apr 14th, 2003, 02:13 AM
Len should have just been thankful he got to a playoff... he had a horseshoe up his ass all round.

I felt the same way. These 2 incredibly long puts plus those narrow escapes from disaster.

Steam
Apr 14th, 2003, 02:17 AM

Hey! I cared about the hockey game. Damn that Iginla!

Crazy Canuck
Apr 14th, 2003, 02:55 AM
Hey! I cared about the hockey game. Damn that Iginla!
You see, Leena? ;)

Leena
Apr 14th, 2003, 02:59 AM
I felt the same way. These 2 incredibly long puts plus those narrow escapes from disaster.
Exactly. That long pitch-in he made on 8... that was total luck, and if it didn't go in, it would have been at least 2 more shots on that hole.

Leena
Apr 14th, 2003, 03:00 AM
If they had won, they would have cared.. :)

Besides, I did address my rather sarcastic comment to Canadians for good reason ;)
No, they wouldn't have...

It would be like a Williams' fan when they win a tourney. :p

Crazy Canuck
Apr 14th, 2003, 03:05 AM
Uh huh. I'm supposed to believe that if team USA beat Canada in hockey, that American hockey fans wouldn't be rubbing that in for the next 4 years? ;)

~CANUCK~
Apr 14th, 2003, 03:32 AM
Uh huh. I'm supposed to believe that if team USA beat Canada in hockey, that American hockey fans wouldn't be rubbing that in for the next 4 years? ;)

Of coarse they would have..but since we won we have that right...hehe :devil: ...mikes win is not on equal level as the gold medal but it is damn near close...GO MIKE...win the next 3 majors now

Leena
Apr 14th, 2003, 03:36 AM
No, because 1) most Americans don't give a shit about hockey, and 2) most cities like here in Buffalo, only care about their own teams and don't care about anyone else.

empiremaker03
Apr 14th, 2003, 03:46 AM
Rebecca, the Olympics imo is now a joke in that no player has the Gold Medal as their season goal but the Stanley Cup...it would mean much more is NHL players were left out and a REAL team that traveled together for a year and played in front of fans across the country was brought back...I can tell you that as an American hockey fan winning the Gold would have been nice but really nothing, NOTHING even remotely comparable to winning the '80 gold...the Gold medal would have been erased from my mind by the time the NHL playoffs got going...

speaking of Canadians winning big sports events today--Paul Tracy also won the CART race today

~CANUCK~
Apr 14th, 2003, 03:50 AM
speaking of Canadians winning big sports events today--Paul Tracy also won the CART race today

also the canadian men won the world curling championships today...its been a good day for canadian sports

Steam
Apr 14th, 2003, 03:56 AM
Rebecca, the Olympics imo is now a joke in that no player has the Gold Medal as their season goal but the Stanley Cup...it would mean much more is NHL players were left out and a REAL team that traveled together for a year and played in front of fans across the country was brought back...I can tell you that as an American hockey fan winning the Gold would have been nice but really nothing, NOTHING even remotely comparable to winning the '80 gold...the Gold medal would have been erased from my mind by the time the NHL playoffs got going...

Speak for yourself. I would have loved the gold medal. I remember staying up with a few friends in 98 to watch the US play (poorly) and getting really into it last year. Hell, we clung to that stupid 96 World Cup win for years. It would be like the Canadians beating the US in basketball.

disposablehero
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:02 AM
Speak for yourself. I would have loved the gold medal. I remember staying up with a few friends in 98 to watch the US play (poorly) and getting really into it last year. Hell, we clung to that stupid 96 World Cup win for years. It would be like the Canadians beating the US in basketball.

Well Steam, it really shouldn't have come as that much of a surprise. The US has some good players, but Canada is just way too deep on talent. We had some players who didn't make our team that were better than some of your second line guys.

empiremaker03
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:12 AM
yes, the Canadians were awfully skilled & talented...There in no NHL player that would rather win the Gold medal than the 'Cup (and if there was I wouldn't want them on my team) so what is really the big deal except for entertainment value? The '80 Gold was most special and had meaning beyond sport--and winning in '84 would have also been great (they certainly were talented enough to do so) but ho hum seeing current millionnairres holding up gold

Steam
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:20 AM
Well Steam, it really shouldn't have come as that much of a surprise. The US has some good players, but Canada is just way too deep on talent. We had some players who didn't make our team that were better than some of your second line guys.

Yeah, thats why the game was close and why Canadian lost games in the Olympics. We'll see what happens next go round. It is about fielding one team and the US should be able to do that.

Steam
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:23 AM
yes, the Canadians were awfully skilled & talented...There in no NHL player that would rather win the Gold medal than the 'Cup (and if there was I wouldn't want them on my team) so what is really the big deal except for entertainment value? The '80 Gold was most special and had meaning beyond sport--and winning in '84 would have also been great (they certainly were talented enough to do so) but ho hum seeing current millionnairres holding up gold

Watching Olympic hockey was much more exciting the last two times compared to 1992 and 1994 since the majority of the hockey players take pride in their country due to the NHL being so diverse.

And if you don't think it was a big deal, rewatch tape of the Canadians celebrating. It meant something to them.

anton
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:27 AM
i watched the masters and really enjoyed it!!
it was really exciting.

disposablehero
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:29 AM
Yeah, thats why the game was close and why Canadian lost games in the Olympics. We'll see what happens next go round. It is about fielding one team and the US should be able to do that.

I'm serious, Steam, I'm not rubbing it in. Joe freaking Thornton couldn't make our team. Canada struggled to gel a bit initially, we tied Germany who didn't have a single player that could make our team. But once Wayne made his rant to the media it was all over for everyone else, as the team clicked.

Steam
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:38 AM
I'm serious, Steam, I'm not rubbing it in. Joe freaking Thornton couldn't make our team. Canada struggled to gel a bit initially, we tied Germany who didn't have a single player that could make our team. But once Wayne made his rant to the media it was all over for everyone else, as the team clicked.

That gold medal game was a little close for it to be "all over for everyone else". Those fluke goals at the very end of the game is what made the score look worse than what it was.

King Lindsay
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:02 AM
congratulations to Mike Weir. I watched that final round of the PGA Championships when he took the lead into the final day and absolutely played terribly. He was so disappointed and angry with himself after that ... it's great to see how things worked out differently today. The man had nerves of steel today. Did not choke, would not bend. Mattiace played amazingly up until his final two holes. I cannot say enough about his round. but Mike never let that bother him. Even when he'd lost the lead, he never lost his focus. Truly an inspired performance. Hope it's only the beginning.

Crazy Canuck
Apr 14th, 2003, 07:15 AM
Mario Lemieux risked the rest of his season to lead Canada to gold. INdeed he ended up sitting out a good number of games before and after the olympics, and was heavily critisized by the olympics.

Crazy Canuck
Apr 14th, 2003, 07:16 AM
No, because 1) most Americans don't give a shit about hockey, and 2) most cities like here in Buffalo, only care about their own teams and don't care about anyone else.
Leena, your not responding to what I said... I said American hockey fans, not Americans in general would rub it in. And you are actually mistaken in believing that they wouldn't, as you have Steam here fully admitting that he would have, and rightfully though.

tennisIlove09
Apr 14th, 2003, 07:46 AM
Yea!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

the cat
Apr 14th, 2003, 03:58 PM
I'm happy for Mike Weir! It's nice to see a lefty win a golf major championship.

But I was perplexed to see Phil Mickelson so happy in his on course interview for CBS television. :confused: Sure, Phil had a good final round. But he came up short again in a major. And he seemed a little too satisfied with his good play but still no major championship, in my opinion.

Golf can be exciting even without Tiger Woods being a factor.

Well done to Mike Weir and Len Mattiace on an exciting finish and lots of drama in the Masters! :D

Becca, I don't think that most American hockey fans would rub it in if America defeated Canada for the 2002 Winter Olympic gold medal in hockey. There are good fans and good sports out there.

And who in the Olympics criticised Mario Lemieux for missing some Pittsburgh Penguin games in order to play in the Olympics? If I was a Penguins fan, then I would have ctiticised Lemieux. But who in the Olympics criticised him?

empiremaker03
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:40 PM
Mario Lemieux risked the rest of his season to lead Canada to gold. INdeed he ended up sitting out a good number of games before and after the olympics, and was heavily critisized by the olympics.

that may be true Rebecca but Super Mario is a unique case--first he has won the 'Cup and second he is an owner so can do as well as he damn pleases;)...but what if a top player refused to play Olympic hockey? ohhh the criticism--you don't see the same for tennis...however, my MAIN point is that it truly means more for a REAL team i.e. one that travels together & plays together as a national team for an entire year...Does not one remember when Olympics meant amateurism???

Hurley
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:41 PM
Golf was exciting before Tiger and it will be exciting after Tiger. :rolleyes:

empiremaker03
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:44 PM
Golf was exciting before Tiger and it will be exciting after Tiger. :rolleyes:

fun & enjoyable to play but don't know about exciting :D

Hurley
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:47 PM
One man does not a sport make.

There have been many exciting days much like yesterday in the past.

empiremaker03
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:49 PM
who has stated that Tiger was the sport? but he is the greatest in the sport

Hurley
Apr 14th, 2003, 06:45 PM
Sorry, forgot to quote this:

Golf can be exciting even without Tiger Woods being a factor.

I was responding to that. With a resounding "DUH." :p

And yes, he is by far the best golfer on the planet. That is inarguable.

disposablehero
Apr 15th, 2003, 02:39 AM
Hockey was exciting before Gretzky and its been exciting after Gretzky. Basketball was exciting before Jordan, and was exciting after Jordan, and was exciting after Jordan, and will be exciting after Jordan again. Boxing was exciting before Muhammad Ali and its been...., OK, boxing is a bad example.

But if golf wasn't already interesting than nobody would have cared about Tiger.