PDA

View Full Version : Serena will continue to have the mental edge until...

SerenasMelons
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:38 PM
Serena will continue to have the mental edge over all players until someone can beat her when she is playing well. Justine played well today, but lets face it, Serena was not at her best. Serena's best was that first set agains Lindsay Daventport yesterday. Until someone can beat Serena when she's playing like that, she will continue to dominate.

The main reason she lost today was because of the Unforced Errors. If she can eliminate the streaks that she has in her game, she will become even more unstoppable. It shows that the match is always in Serena's hands to win or lose. Someone must learn to beat her when Serena has a positive Winner/Error ratio.

I don't want to take credit away from Justine today. She played a great match, and many of the errors Serena made today were probably from frustration because Juju was returning a lot of balls.

Cybelle Darkholme
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:51 PM
"My whole game was like 9,000 notches down,'' Williams said. "I didn't serve well, I didn't return well, I didn't hit well. You know, it's just one of those days.''

Even serena knows she wasn't at her best.

slydevil6142
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:54 PM
I agree with u but to a point. I dont think Serena lost today only b/c of the unforced errors b/c there are lots of tmies when she and Venus both still pull out matches with 40+ unforced errors. Serena lost today b/c her serve was uneffective and more importantly she returned serve like crap. Everyone talks about serena ground game and her great serve but what has separted her from everyone and especially from venus is her return of serve. When she has this single shot going she will always win unless her opponent is also able to produce great returns. This one factor explains why davenport was able to stay close in the second b/c she began to go for her return putting alot more pressure on serena something she isnt use to. After watching the OWL fountaintion match on tv i truly feel that Venus as an excellent shot at beating Serena , even if Serena plays at her best which she tends to do against Venus anyway (why cant she play against Venus like she does the rest of the tour), b/c Venus was being very aggressive with the return something i havent seen since 01'.

BK4ever
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:24 PM
Somedays you roll out of bed and you just can't find your mojo...that was Serena today...

I'm mad because she lost in a final...but I much rather a loss in Charleston than one at a Slam, unless its a loss to my Queen Venus ;)

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:28 PM
I agree. This is the worst match I've seen from Serena since the US Open Finals 2001.