PDA

View Full Version : Will Justine be hyped like Kim?

tennisIlove09
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:07 PM
After the Sanex Champs in LA, Kim was pegged at "the one" to beat the sisters.

She came very close in Australia, and then really didn't do damage at Diamond Games or Miami.

But now, Justine has beat Serena...will she be pegged as "the one" to beat the sisters?

WtaTour4Ever
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:09 PM
At the French she will be ....but she is a threat on clay so I don't know if thats hype really.

Venus Forever
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:09 PM
It's already happening. Didn't you notice the thread about her being the new #2, maybe even #1 by year's end?

One win doesn't make a year.;)

Filip!
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:12 PM
It's already happening. Didn't you notice the thread about her being the new #2, maybe even #1 by year's end?

One win doesn't make a year.;)

... but one win can say very much about a player's talent!

starr
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:13 PM
Please. Justine has been hyped as the salvation of tennis ever since anyone who was anybody got a look at that backhand and her foot speed.

Lots of people have thought she was more talented than Kim from day one. Justine's weakness has always been thought to be her size. And then later... her mental toughness.

Venus Forever
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:14 PM
... but one win can say very much about a player's talent!

So I guess we should be hyping up Harkleroad as being a top 10 player by year's end. ;)

SerenaSlam
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:19 PM
no one should be hyped, unless they can consitently beat the top players, they should not be hyped, 1 match means nothing....

This is a situation like last year, when Patty Schnyder beat Serena here. It was like Patty, she has found her form and soon will be in the top 10. Where is patty now? It can be said more so w/ Justine, but 1 win does not prove anything. The Fact that justine played well today, but knows Serena didnt going into the next match, justine will have confidence, but she will also know, it is still going to be tough b/c Serena can come out playing very well :) lets not even talk about the hypes, if we say stop them, do you think they even will?

starr
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:23 PM
Are you nuts? Venus Williams was hyped since age 10. Andre was hyped from age 3.

Hype is all about expectations, and not about accomplishments, so it makes NO sense to say players shouldn't be hyped until they consistently beat the top ten.

Jericho
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:30 PM
its a curse really...so too bad for justine, and it happened last year too and look she lost first round...that would be ironic if that happened this year too...

Fingon
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:35 PM
No she won't.

The media doesn't seem to like a small player winning because that destroys their theory that it's all about power and size, and the word finesse sounds bitter to some people's eyes.

Justine was predicted to be the player to drop off the top 10.

The she was the one to drop off the top 5.

When they mention who had chances to beat Serena, they always said Capriati (even though she has failed like 7 times in a row), Davenport (even when it was clear she wasn't at her best), Kim and Amelie, Justine (and Chanda) are never mentioned.

no, Justine will always be underrated, even if she wins a GS. It's fine for me, I like the preasure on other players :devil:

pd: I would love to hear Mary Joe's predictions now :worship:

hollywood7172
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:38 PM
i'm not sure if justine will be hyped, but i am pretty sure TEEREXX will now be starting all kinds of threads about justine being the GWH.

hi teerexx!!

disposablehero
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:45 PM
Please. Justine has been hyped as the salvation of tennis ever since anyone who was anybody got a look at that backhand and her foot speed.

And yet Kim has proven time and again to be just a bit better.

shap_half
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:52 PM
And yet Kim has proven time and again to be just a bit better.

That's right!!! Wasn't it Kim who made 2 GS semis and a final of a Wimbledon and consistently having defeated Capriati and Seles!?!?! Oh that's right!!! It's not Kim, it's Justine!!! How could I have forgotten!?!?

starr
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:55 PM
Oh, Disposable.... don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying Justine is better than Kim, I'm only talking about "hype."

I prefer Kim to Justine, but that's mostly a personality thing.

With a smile like this who needs diamonds?
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/ap_photo/20030413/all/l796556.jpg

Havok
Apr 14th, 2003, 12:38 AM
no she won't. not until she beats a Williams sister on another surface besides clay. clay is her best surface and the Williams worst surface. she will always be a threat on clay, but not so on other surfaces. Clijsters has beaten them on other surfaces so she has a little advantage.

disposablehero
Apr 14th, 2003, 12:38 AM
That's right!!! Wasn't it Kim who made 2 GS semis and a final of a Wimbledon and consistently having defeated Capriati and Seles!?!?! Oh that's right!!! It's not Kim, it's Justine!!! How could I have forgotten!?!?

2-4 is consistently beating Seles? Kim has won 6 of her last 8 against Davenport, thank you very much.
And your right, Kim is not the player who made 2 GS Semis and the Final of Wimbledon. She's the player who made 2 GS Semis and the Final of Roland Garros, despite being a year younger and having never won anything more important than the Tour Championships. Did I mention the head to head is 7-2 in Kim's favour, including blowouts the last 3 meetings? I guess I did now. I think the numbers suggest you don't need to act quite so outraged.

angele87
Apr 14th, 2003, 12:49 AM
2-4 is consistently beating Seles? Kim has won 6 of her last 8 against Davenport, thank you very much.
And your right, Kim is not the player who made 2 GS Semis and the Final of Wimbledon. She's the player who made 2 GS Semis and the Final of Roland Garros, despite being a year younger and having never won anything more important than the Tour Championships. Did I mention the head to head is 7-2 in Kim's favour, including blowouts the last 3 meetings? I guess I did now. I think the numbers suggest you don't need to act quite so outraged.
Well said :kiss:

Dava
Apr 14th, 2003, 01:24 AM
Yes she will, but not in quite the same way, now its going to be Belguim against the Williams', not Kim Vs V and Rena. It like there is going to be a private FED Cup on the circiut.

Robbie.
Apr 14th, 2003, 01:27 AM
Just a quick correction, Justine does have 4 GS semis to Kim's 3. And has been to the semis of 3/4 as opposed to 2/4 of the Grandslams.

starr
Apr 14th, 2003, 03:29 AM
Should we start a thread....... does Kim own Justine? hmmm?

Chance
Apr 14th, 2003, 03:37 AM
lol
I'm beginning to find Justine fans vs Kim fans amusing
reminds me of
Venus fans vs Serena fans

starr
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:18 AM
lol.....

But it's true. Most Kim fans like Justine and vice versa.... It's just my impression that there may be more Kim fans who like Justine than Justine fans who also like Kim.... but.. dunno for sure.

selesfan
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:25 AM
lol
I'm beginning to find Justine fans vs Kim fans amusing
reminds me of
Venus fans vs Serena fans

LOL! True! The fans are starting to split just like when Serena started beating Venus. The Belgian sisters vs. the Williams sisters. ;)

Leena
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:27 AM
After the Sanex Champs in LA, Kim was pegged at "the one" to beat the sisters.

She came very close in Australia, and then really didn't do damage at Diamond Games or Miami.

But now, Justine has beat Serena...will she be pegged as "the one" to beat the sisters?
Of course they will... the idiots on ESPN need something to yap about.

saki
Apr 14th, 2003, 01:50 PM
Doubt it. Somehow Justine always seems to slip under the media radar. I don't like it because it's undeserved but I think she prefers it this way!

On Kim Vs Justine - yes, Justine is better on clay & grass than the other surfaces but I think that's very much to her advantage. Whereas Kim is just below the level of Venus & Serena on all surfaces, Justine is able to be genuinely competitive with them on clay and eventually also on grass. That's why I think she'll do better in the end.

starr
Apr 14th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Isn't it like of weird to think that someone's best surfaces are clay AND grass? It reminds me of Borg whose best surfaces were clay AND grass. Not too many folks in that category.

selesfan
Apr 14th, 2003, 02:12 PM
Justine has always been more hyped up than Kim because of her backhand, it was only after the Championships last year that they started to hype up Kim.

bandabou
Apr 14th, 2003, 02:27 PM
It will funny to see how this pans out. For all the hype surrounding Kim, Justine is quietly having a great season as well! Plus she has done something Kim couldn't do:beat Serena twice in the past 52 weeks. Justine's really improved very much in the mental department too. She rallied in both sets to win. I still don't understand how she does so poor against Kim. She has beaten everyone in the top 10, but somehow has trouble with Kim. Odd!! But look out for the tiny Belgian...won't surprise me if she has a better year than her overhyped countrywomen!