PDA

View Full Version : Serna Defends Estoril Open Title

tennisIlove09
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:24 PM
Serna Defends Estoril Open Title

Second seed Magui Serna successfully defended her Estoril Open title with a 6-4, 6-1 victory over German qualifier Julia Schruff on Sunday.

The Spanish left-hander took 1 hour, 7 minutes to capture her second WTA Tour championship against the German, who was appearing in her first WTA Tour main draw after winning three matches in qualifying. The 20-year-old from Augsburg, who had won two junior titles prior to this in Budapest and Wels, is currently ranked No. 238 and will move up to around 155-160 after reaching the final.

"I'm very happy," said Serna. "The matches were harder as the week went on, and today the wind and conditions made it very difficult, but I'm very happy to have defended my title."

Serna, ranked 196 places higher than her opponent, was the overwhelming favorite coming into the final, but the 24-year-old did not put herself under any extra pressure. "I didn't know much about her," said Serna.

"I knew she was a qualifier and she must have been playing very well to reach the final. I just tried to stay calm in the conditions and play my game today."

Schruff, playing in her eighth match in nine days, was feeling the effects of a long week. "I was so tired today," said Schruff, who also knocked out top seed Katarina Srebotnik in the second round. "I pulled a muscle in my right thigh at the end of the first set, but I wanted to carry on in the second.

"I will take a lot of experience and confidence from this week. I will sleep well for the next two days, maybe have a little party and then start practicing again for the next tournament."