PDA

View Full Version : At 46, Navratilova still draws a crowd

tennisIlove09
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:23 PM
At 46, Navratilova still draws a crowd
By DAVID CARAVIELLO AND RICK NELSON
April 13 2003
The Post and Courier

It's been nearly 10 years since Martina Navratilova retired as a singles player, but she remains one of the biggest draws in tennis.

Hundreds of fans waited in line Saturday for Navratilova's autograph at the Family Circle Cup.

Navratilova posed for pictures and patiently talked with fans, including South Carolina first lady Jenny Sanford. Navratilova arrived late from downtown Charleston because of traffic problems, but waited until every person in line had an autograph.

Navratilova, 46, retired from regular singles play in 1994 with a WTA Tour record 167 championships. She played her first tour event in 7-1/2 years last year at Eastbourne, defeating No. 22 Tatiana Panova in three sets to become the oldest woman to win a singles match.

Navratilova remains an active doubles player, winning three titles this year to push her total to 169. She and teammate Alicia Molik made it to the quarterfinals of this year's Family Circle Cup before losing Friday to Ashley Harkleroad and Mashona Washington.

ATTENDANCE DOWN

The cold, wet weather that plagued tournament week and canceled a pair of night sessions will keep attendance at this season's Family Circle Cup well below last year's mark.

The 9,151 spectators Saturday boosted the overall tournament attendance to 72,464, according to event officials. Last year's event drew 89,395, the most ever on Daniel Island, but still well short of the record of 98,000 the tournament drew when Anna Kournikova reached the final at Hilton Head in 1999.

This year's event could surpass the 80,625 who attended the first tournament on Daniel Island in 2001. Stadium Court, site of today's 1 p.m. final, holds 10,200.

COMING BACK

No. 2 seed Justine Henin-Hardenne is making her first appearance in the Family Circle Cup, but hasn't had time to see much of Charleston.

"When we're not playing, we are with the fitness trainers, or we always have something to do," she said. "We don't have a lot of time. We just went to nice restaurants, and usually the players want to stay focused on the tournament. And when they lose or they win the tournament, they want to go back home or to the next tournament. I think that's normal."

Maybe she'll be able to do some sightseeing when she returns to the event in 2004.

"For sure, I'll be here," she said. "It's a nice tournament."

CLEAR BLUE

After four days of bad weather, the sun finally shone on the Family Circle Cup on Saturday. Although many parking lots were still muddy quagmires, the clear blue sky was welcomed by vendors hawking sunglasses and Italian ice, as well as players weary of competing in 50-degree temperatures.

"Oh, it felt great," said Williams, who clinched a berth in today's final against Henin-Hardenne.

TODAY'S SCHEDULE

Stadium Court

First match at 1 p.m.

Singles final

No. 1 Serena Williams vs. No. 2 Justine Henin-Hardenne (ESPN)

Doubles final

No. 1 Virginia Ruano Pascual/Paola Suarez vs. No. 3 Janette Husarova/Conchita Martinez

SATURDAY'S RESULTS

Singles

Semifinals

No. 2 Justine Henin-Hardenne d. Ashley Harkleroad, 6-2, 6-1

No. 1 Serena Williams d. No. 3 Lindsay Davenport, 6-1, 7-5

Doubles

Semifinals

No. 1 Virginia Ruano Pascual/Paola Suarez d. Ashley Harkleroad/Mashona Washington, 6-3, 6-2

No. 3 Janette Husarova/Conchita Martinez d. Elena Dementieva/ Lina Krasnoroutskaya 6-7 (4-7), 7-5, 6-3

Pamela Shriver
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:24 PM
Martina would've drawn a *bigger* crowd had she asked me to partner her again *pout*

CondiLicious
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:29 PM
Martina would've drawn a *bigger* crowd had she asked me to partner her again *pout*

Yeah but she still wants to win. She wants a partner who can hit the ball OVER the net on the serve...

Pamela Shriver
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:41 PM
*cough* Don't know what you're talking about .......

<I carried Martina in all our doubles triumphs :sad: >

CondiLicious
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:52 PM
*cough* Don't know what you're talking about .......

Are giraffe rides similar to camel rides?

Pamela Shriver
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:57 PM
Yeah only giraffes are careful *never* to throw ya over the net....

Jo Durie
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:03 PM

:rolleyes: Can I say... bitter?

Pamela Shriver
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:07 PM
Bitter!? Moi!!??! Nah.....

<damn Chris Evert beating me in US78 final :o :mad: Ruining my only chance of Grand Slam glory :mad: >

Jo Durie
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:11 PM
Bitter!? Moi!!??! Nah.....

<damn Chris Evert beating me in US78 final :o :mad: Ruining my only chance of Grand Slam glory :mad: >

I wouldn't know too much about finals myself... :(

Sam L
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:17 PM
Yeah but she still wants to win. She wants a partner who can hit the ball OVER the net on the serve...
LOL Touche ;)

Martina certainly can draw a crowd any day too :)

Navratilova
Apr 14th, 2003, 10:24 PM

I told you before! I don't want you as my partner! You have Georgey...um... boy... now! Move on Pammy! I have! Also I'm not into the whole "being watched" thing...

doloresc
Apr 15th, 2003, 11:20 AM
i'm just happy that a new generation of tennis fans can see her play because navratilova is simply phenomenal.

Jo Durie
Apr 16th, 2003, 12:56 AM
I told you before! I don't want you as my partner! You have Georgey...um... boy... now! Move on Pammy! I have! Also I'm not into the whole "being watched" thing...

Looks like she has Sue as her "partner" now :rolleyes: