PDA

View Full Version : Would you say Sunitha Rao is the ignored American

selesfan1
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:12 PM
She is currntly ranked 183 and she is not given near as many Wild cards.Players lower than her example Kelly Hyndman, Yvette Hyndman, Cory Ann Avants, Shikha Uberoi have been given wild cards. It seems that that only Bolleteri's/IMG kids are given wild cards it seems although some of those mentioned ar not but it seems like Shuai Peng, Tatiana Golovin etc. have been given wc's to big events and haven't really done anything with them. Sunitha played quallies at brasil lat year and made 2nd round main draw and she beat Zvonareva, Henke, among others. So why don't tournies help people like Sunitha, Teryn Ashley and only help certain kids get better. Why doesn' the USTA do anything?

Diya
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:15 PM
I guess it has something to do with her 'Indian' connection ....her father was complaining about it

Jakeev
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:24 PM
Believe me when Sunitha starts having greater results she will be talked about............

BK4ever
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:25 PM
Its all about being connected with the USTA or a company like IMG...

I've been complaining about Teryn being overlooked as well...but I know she tried to get help from the USTA and she was turned down..

She did say that when she is at some tournaments and is hitting with some of the USTA girls that some of the coaches would give her pointers...

I'm not sure whats up with Sunitha and the USTA though...

Sunitha is a decent player but like a lot of good juniors, she doesnt have a weapon

Gowza
Apr 14th, 2003, 12:08 AM
i think cory ann is given soe wildcards because she has the talent and looked like she could be a good player before her injury at the us open a couple of years ago. and lately she has been doing quite well in challengers. sunitha hasn't played much this year. i don't think she has played any challengers this year, the only tournametn i remember her playing is the qualies at the oz open.

maybe if she played a bit more she would get more wildcards?

Gowza
Apr 14th, 2003, 12:13 AM
i think you're wrong about golovin not doing anything with her wildcards and peng. for both players indian wells was their first maindraw wta event. golovin won a round and pushed her opponent in the 2nd round and pushed her opponent in the first round of miami and she is only 14 or 15 so you can't expect her to go very deep into the tournament. peng didn't exactly get killed in her matches either. wildcards aren't about going deep into the tournament imo. imo they are to give the young players or inexperienced players a chance to get some experiences. you can't expect players who have never ever played in a wta event to go deep ito a tier one on their first attempt.

nkoth
Apr 16th, 2003, 07:29 AM
I guess it has something to do with her 'Indian' connection ....her father was complaining about it

...And now this:

http://www.thehindu.com/thehindu/2003/04/03/stories/2003040303652100.htm

It appears that Sunitha is trying to play for India instead. It is sad that her family felt forced to take this step because they couldn't get the support she needed from the USTA. Hmph.

For Indian fans, though, this is *great* news as she would quickly become the country's #1 player. :)

-neil

Harju.
Apr 16th, 2003, 07:51 AM
...And now this:

http://www.thehindu.com/thehindu/2003/04/03/stories/2003040303652100.htm

It appears that Sunitha is trying to play for India instead. It is sad that her family felt forced to take this step because they couldn't get the support she needed from the USTA. Hmph.

For Indian fans, though, this is *great* news as she would quickly become the country's #1 player. :)

-neil
:eek: Rao moved to India :eek:

I think the India have lots of talented player.. In junior it self they have 4 in top 100 already

Sania Mirza :D

nkoth
Apr 16th, 2003, 07:55 AM
:eek: Rao moved to India :eek:

Well, it hasn't happened yet -- her application has not yet been approved by the AITA (Indian Tennis Association.)

She's still based in the US as well... for now. Go Sunitha in Jackson!

-neil