View Full Version : Is Justine crazy?

Hurley
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:16 PM
On the TV, she said that she was going to play:

Amelia Island
FED CUP
Berlin
Rome

And then that the French Open, more or less, is her #1 goal. I don't think there is any way she will win the French after that exhausting schedule. She beat Serena today by being mentally fresh and quick, and that will not be the case if she plays all of these events.

She picked up 445 points this week -- more than DOUBLE what she had to defend. Those 224 extra points make sure she has no need to play Amelia Island, where, because of the stagger, she has nothing to defend, while she has champion points to defend in Berlin, and runner-up points to defend in Rome.

So, I think she should find herself an "injury" and bail out of Amelia. Let Lindsay and Jenn fight it out.

Glenn
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:19 PM
Hmm, she just wants to profit from the clay season, which is her favorite surface.
She plays all the high tier clay tournaments and skips the later hardcourt tournaments.
I think she's right, she has the capability of dominating the entire clay season too.
She's probably well prepared and we can only hope for her to hang tough and not let an injury get to her! :)

JonBcn
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:21 PM
Its do-able; Arantxa used to regularly get to the French final playing Hilton Head, Amelia Is, Fed Cup, Hamburg, Berlin, (occasionally) Rome and Madrid. Not sure if Justine's as used to playing such a heavy schedule, but clay is arguably her best surface, and she needs to make the most of it.

AjdeNate!
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:22 PM
On the TV, she said that she was going to play:

Amelia Island
FED CUP
Berlin
Rome

And then that the French Open, more or less, is her #1 goal. I don't think there is any way she will win the French after that exhausting schedule. She beat Serena today by being mentally fresh and quick, and that will not be the case if she plays all of these events.

She picked up 445 points this week -- more than DOUBLE what she had to defend. Those 224 extra points make sure she has no need to play Amelia Island, where, because of the stagger, she has nothing to defend, while she has champion points to defend in Berlin, and runner-up points to defend in Rome.

So, I think she should find herself an "injury" and bail out of Amelia. Let Lindsay and Jenn fight it out.
Put Moniker in the mix and I agree. :)

Hurley
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:22 PM
Yes, but the tournament from which she can profit the most, sadly, is at the end of a very long trail. If she wants to rack up the points early, hey, fine, but she can't expect to go into a semifinal at the French against Serena tired and win. Because she won't.

Hurley
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Its do-able; Arantxa used to regularly get to the French final playing Hilton Head, Amelia Is, Fed Cup, Hamburg, Berlin, (occasionally) Rome and Madrid. Not sure if Justine's as used to playing such a heavy schedule, but clay is arguably her best surface, and she needs to make the most of it.

Yeah, but Arantxa never had to play Serena. Justine, along with everyone else, needs to be at 100% to beat her.

fleemkeģ
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Justine is a pro and she knows what she can and can't! Clay is her best and favo surface so let her enjoy it .. and win it :cool:

Hurley
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:25 PM
Justine is a pro and she knows what she can and can't! Clay is her best and favo surface so let her enjoy it .. and win it :cool:

Yes, because obviously this has never backfired for pros before :p

You people aren't reading my posts.

Mercury Rising
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:28 PM
Yes, because obviously this has never backfired for pros before :p

You people aren't reading my posts.
Pfff ofcourse not :p :devil:

JonBcn
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:28 PM
I dont think Serena vs Justine is any more of a step up than Graf was for Arantxa, its just this generations equivalent. At the end of the day we're talking about a two week tournament. She'll definitely have at least one week off immediately before it. i dont think she would be tired; even with that heavy schedule. The real danger, I think - is injury.

katrientje
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:29 PM
I know what you mean...I am a little worried too, bc of what happened last year... She was totally exhausted at RG and got sick...
but I do understand her because it's her favorite surface.

BK4ever
She needs to play all of the clay events to make up for the summer hardcourts...where she doesnt normally do well...

She knows what she is doing...

fleemkeģ
Yeah, but Arantxa never had to play Serena. Justine, along with everyone else, needs to be at 100% to beat her.

Justine didn't played her best tennis today and still beat Serena ;)

Hurley
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:33 PM
Okay, see this is why I say people aren't reading my posts. BK, for instance, is clearly not.

IF Justine wants to pick up points to cover her ranking's ass, hey, great, this sounds perfect.

But IF her main goal is to WIN THE FRENCH, there are arguably better alternatives. Because Justine will have to go through Serena -- I don't think anyone besides Justine will beat Serena regularly on clay -- and she cannot afford to give her an inch, because it will cost her.

shap_half
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:34 PM
I think that Justine needs to play these court tournaments because she needs to keep gaining and defending her points to stay top 5. She normally doesn't do so well in the American Hardcourt season so in order to make up for that she will need to play the top tier clay tournaments. she will definitely have that week and a half before Roland Garros so I think fatigue will not be the problem. She should of course play carefully to save herself from injuries. And besides her second best surface is grass, and there is only one tier and up grass and it's wimbledon then it's the summer hardcourt season. Justine needs to play.

Rocketta
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:35 PM
Justine didn't played her best tennis today and still beat Serena ;)

come down a little off the high your starting to not think clearly! :p

Hurley
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:36 PM
You know...that doesn't even make sense.

If she wins the French, her ranking will take care of itself, especially this year -- she has 2 points to defend!

Rtael
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:36 PM
Hmm...well I think Justine can handle it, especially since before the french she has a week off anyway...but regardless there is just no way she can not play Berlin and Rome, tooooo mnay points to defend...she could take off AI, but honestly I think that tournament will just be totally easy point for her and an easy win for the title

BK4ever
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:37 PM
Okay, see this is why I say people aren't reading my posts. BK, for instance, is clearly not.

IF Justine wants to pick up points to cover her ranking's ass, hey, great, this sounds perfect.

But IF her main goal is to WIN THE FRENCH, there are arguably better alternatives. Because Justine will have to go through Serena -- I don't think anyone besides Justine will beat Serena regularly on clay -- and she cannot afford to give her an inch, because it will cost her.

I read your post and I UNDERSTOOD it perfectly...but what I was trying to say is that obviously Juju thinks she can handle it and knows that its a sacrifice worth taking, to gain as much points as possible on her best surface...

Rtael
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:38 PM
not really...she could WIN the french and it wouldn't make up for her Berlin+Rome points cause those are heaps!

Anyway Justine wasn't playing her best today...most of her game was her best but I think she can serve so much better then that

fleemkeģ
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:38 PM
come down a little off the high your starting to not think clearly! :p

Euhm her first service was arround 50% so that's NOT good :p:p:p

BK4ever
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:40 PM
Juju didnt need to play her best...Serena made sure of that...

Rtael..totally agree...Berlin and Rome are way too many points for her to forfeit...

Hurley
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:41 PM
BK, fine, but I wasn't arguing for that. I understand that's why she is doing it...I just don't think, as I've said, that, in the long run, she will accomplish what she wants to.

Anyway, I said in my first post that she should bail out of AI. I agree, she should play Berlin and Rome. But AI seems particularly pointless -- it's a Tier II on green clay.

If she would rather not play Fed Cup, I'd be all for that, but I doubt she'll skip that.

Harju.
:eek: at Justine :eek:

I won't be surprised if she loses early in one of the tournament!! *sigh*

shap_half
It is understandable that Justine should focus on winning the French Open because if she does not only will she be a grand slam winner but she will also get so many points because she only has 2 to defend from her first round exit last year.

But it is also better for her to play top tennis players, and beat them, on her way to the French to make sure that her game can beat anybody. Justine might not even meet Serena in the finals and might do it in the semis because Venus's form is just going down. Justine needs to keep playing that her game becomes more precise and challenge so she can be more confident when the French comes.

King Lindsay
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:45 PM
I agree, Amelia Island is probably unnecessary. She already won the big one, not really any reason to play AI.

That said, I don't think anything is too wrong about her schedule. she'll still has a week off before the French, and she's not playing Warsaw. I'm convinced what happened at last year's French was just a hideous anomaly. Even with that schedule, she should be fine for it.

Rtael
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:45 PM
lol, you can look at AI as insurance though...right now no offense to lindsay J cap and monica bu I think AI will be a breezy win for Justine, as she just proved she is #1 in the world on clay right now, and she can beat pretty much anyone consistently on clay right now (the only people as a serious challenge I think are Kim and V&S, and Serena as the only one with good enough game to really beat Justine, Kim and V have the advantage cause Justine has a bad mentalality against them)

And it's very unsure whether she will be able to reproduce those results in both Tier I's this year, so I think a little insurance in points will help her

Hurley
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:47 PM
Points points points points points, blah blah blah.

Maybe I'm projecting, but I thought she wanted to win the French Open.

treufreund
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:47 PM
she should play that schedule but ditch Rome if she feels very tired. it's her best surface and she should rack up pts just like Venus and other hardcourters use the summer hard court season to rack up points to compensate for their weaker clay court season and lack of fall indoor tourneys. Each player tries to make the best decisions and it's always a debate as to what they should play but I think Justine getting sick may have also been the result of a virus and not just fatigue.

caseyl45
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:03 PM
I remember last year after she lost at Roland Garros, there was an article saying that she'd had bronchitis in Hamburg as well, and that her illness at Roland Garros was a relapse of that.
As far as her schedule is concerned, it doesn't seem unreasonably heavy. When Lindsay Davenport won the U.S. Open in '98, she played the three California hard court tournaments and then New Haven before the Open, and she still won that tournament without dropping a set. Justine (right now) is playing four warm up events, plus Fed Cup, which will (most likely) be two matches for her. If she plays Amelia Island, she'll probably have a couple of days before Fed Cup and then a week off before Berlin and another week off before Roland Garros. At Roland Garros (weather permitting), she'll have to play every other day, so she'll have time to rest.
She's been working on improving her physical strength, so barring injury, she should be able to handle this schedule.

slydevil6142
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:14 PM
It is understandable that Justine should focus on winning the French Open because if she does not only will she be a grand slam winner but she will also get so many points because she only has 2 to defend from her first round exit last year.

But it is also better for her to play top tennis players, and beat them, on her way to the French to make sure that her game can beat anybody. Justine might not even meet Serena in the finals and might do it in the semis because Venus's form is just going down. Justine needs to keep playing that her game becomes more precise and challenge so she can be more confident when the French comes.

:rolleyes: There are so many other ppl for justine to worry about beside the w/s and kim to make a good run at the french. She needs to focus on doing her best in every match and iof playing all these tournments is whats going to get her ready than she should participate in them all. Every player is different and for some it takes mroe match play to get ready for a large event. As for Venus's form going down she has only lost 2 matches this year and playe 3 tournments so i think its unfair to asses where her level of play is. If someone looked at the serena match today one could agrue her level has dropped drammtically and we all know she just had an off day as venus had when she played megan in miami. It will be very interesting to see how Venus comes out in the clay season and it would be exciting to see and Venus/Justine match b/c they usually produce some exciting matches with Venus coming out on top i.e. Amelie Island 02'.

Raj
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:35 PM
You lot are assuming that Justine will got out in all these tournaments and beat everyone in marathon three-sets and then by the time she gets to the french open she will be so exausted that she will go out in the first round!

Maybe Justine is just playing so many tournaments on play to get practice on her favourite surface knowing that she might not win all these events, for the french open.
who knows if she wins AI and berlin she might give herself a break!

Ryan
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:39 PM
I completely understand what Hurley is saying, but I think Justine wants to do well at Amelia to cover her butt going into Berlin and Rome. Although, she will most likely make more points at RG to balance out the loss of those points at Berlin/Rome if she's less tired.

1jackson2001
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:45 PM
Justine wants the best of both worlds, and believes she can handle it....gain points points points and win the FO.

I hope she does it though. :)

Mercury Rising
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:48 PM
*fingers crossed*

I hope she doesn't get injured or sick.
I hope she knows what she's doing, but I prefer a RG win ofcourse.

Berlin_Calling
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:49 PM
when I heard her say this on TV, i too thought it was crazy. Because she would at least make the final of every one of these events, she would get tired from playing weekin and weekout. But, after Amelia, Justine would have about a 5 day break and then play Fed Cup, which would be fun for her, and not stressful. Then she would play two weeks in a row after that, and have a week off before RG, so I think that should be enough rest. :)

AjdeNate!
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:02 PM
But nobody has factored in how a 'bad' loss (should she have one) affect her confidence on clay?

The Crow
Apr 14th, 2003, 12:22 PM
O I understand your concerns Hurley. I have them too, but I think Justine is wise enough to make a balanced schedule. And if she isn't I'm sure her coach Rodriguez is.

per4ever
Apr 14th, 2003, 12:24 PM
don't forget that Justine stopped playing doubles in all these smaller tournaments..

Dawn Marie
Apr 14th, 2003, 12:45 PM
It's too much. Come on we all know she is injury prone, she is setting herself up to lose the French Open not win it. Really she should play AI, because she has loads of confidence and she is still fresh. Relax play Fed Cup then skip Berlin. Play Rome to get her some match play again then onto the French Open. Or skip the Italian Open and come fresh into the French. She wil not win the French with that schedule. If I am wrong I'll eat the hell out of some crow.:)

selesfan
Apr 14th, 2003, 01:06 PM
You know...that doesn't even make sense.

If she wins the French, her ranking will take care of itself, especially this year -- she has 2 points to defend!

You are right. Look at past years when she has played too many tournaments and had injuries result from too much play. I think she should skip one of the tournaments. At least she isn't palying madrid. ;)

starr
Apr 14th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Justine is injury prone? That's news to me.

If anything she should skip AI. Go back to Europe and be nice and cozy at home.

I would say more about this, but I didn't bother to read any of Hurley's posts.

Dawn Marie
Apr 14th, 2003, 01:44 PM
No, she is coming off of a confidence booster win. She should really play AI and get rid of Berlin. She has a great chance of winning AI anyway. The problem is Berlin,Rome and French Open all in a row. Those three are alot of rallying and court miles. Why not play AI? especially since it is the first one up before the Berlin,Rome and RG leg?
What if she skipped AI but lost early at Berlin and Rome she would lose an opportunity? Start with AI, then drop one as she goes along,preferably Berlin

starr
Apr 14th, 2003, 01:53 PM
Don't make me stamp my foot!! ;)

She can play Berlin and Rome back to back. There is a week off before RG, so she will have time to rest. I hate to admit I read his posts, but Hurley is correct about this one.

Or... maybe Justine will bomb out early at AI. That's ok too.

Hurley
Apr 14th, 2003, 02:20 PM
I don't read your posts either. Batch. :p

Yeah, I'd even allow a QF loss to Sel...oh what am I thinking?!?!?!?? ;)

starr
Apr 14th, 2003, 02:35 PM
:angel:

PhoenixStorm
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:35 PM
If a belgian must win the french the GO KIMMIE!!!!

spartanfan
Apr 14th, 2003, 06:05 PM
I think Justine is playing all these events (except Fed cup) because she has SOOOO many points to defend at each of them. I also think that she originally signed on and played them last year b/c she herself hadn't expected to get so far in the draw in AI, Berlin and Rome and now she has so many points to defend. While clay is Justines best surface, I still think she's overdoing it. I think that she will exert so much mental and physical over the next 6-7 weeks playing in these tournaments and trying to defend all of her points that she will be mentally and physically spent but the first week of the French Open. Look at how Kim felt after playing Belgium, Scottsdale, IW and then Miami and crumbled (and admitted that she had been playing too much tennis) when she got to Serena. Sometimes less is more.

Rollo
Apr 14th, 2003, 07:12 PM
Question-who is Belgium playing Fed Cup against?

I share you're concern Hurley, but at least she's not pulling a Dokic-Dumb
chick routine.

She's got

Amelia
Fed Cup--a sort of rest week
Rest week for Hamburg
Berlin
Rome
Rest week before the French

That gives her 2 "off" weeks plus most of the Fed Cup week. Now if she was entered in Hamburg too I'd say she was crazy. This might be doable to still peak for Roland Garros.

The Crow
Apr 14th, 2003, 07:19 PM
Belgium is playing Austria in Fed cup

auntie janie
Apr 14th, 2003, 07:24 PM
Look at how Kim felt after playing Belgium, Scottsdale, IW and then Miami and crumbled (and admitted that she had been playing too much tennis) when she got to Serena.

Kim was also playing doubles in every event, usually right up till the final. Justine has a lot more off-time, since she has not been entering doubles at all.

I think her schedule is fine. Go Justine! Win all of them! :D

Rollo
Apr 14th, 2003, 07:29 PM
Thanks Crow:)

Two weeks of play and one weeks rest doesn't sound too bad.