PDA

View Full Version : I am happy Serena lost this time!!!

harloo
Apr 13th, 2003, 07:34 PM
Because next time she will be ready for Justine. Justine is a true clay courter who played within herself to win. Granted Serena was making alot of mistakes, and had the lead a few times but when it came down to it she made to many UE and Justine capitalized on that.

Last year Serena lost to Patty at this tournament, and look what happened thereafter. I think she will go home and work on it. Justine is really good on clay and desvered this win.

So Congrats to Her!!! :D

Julian
Apr 13th, 2003, 07:42 PM
You know what..so am I!! LOL I mean Im not exactly happy she lost..u know like the evil haha you lost ordeal..lol but the fact that she IS beatable! But you're right a loss like this to Serena will only make her stronger!

Venus Forever
Apr 13th, 2003, 07:56 PM
I'm not exactly happy, but it will give her a reality check. It will bring her back down to Earth and make her realize that she is beatable, and she will work even harder now to remain at the top.

harloo
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:11 PM
I'm not exactly happy, but it will give her a reality check. It will bring her back down to Earth and make her realize that she is beatable, and she will work even harder now to remain at the top.

Well, Serena IMO will not be brought back down to earth. LOL. But I do agree that she will become stronger and work harder, because their are serious challengers when it comes to clay. Clay is the greatest equalizer, but I know that Serena will put more in her prepartion on clay.

Venus Forever, I'm happy not really because she lost but because I know that losing will only make her practice harder.

Justine did a great job on capitalizing at the right times when Rena was off, so you can't take credit away from her for doing that.

Venus Forever
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:16 PM
I agree completely.:D

BK4ever
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:17 PM
What bothers me most was not that she lost but that she played like SHIT...

Its strange though because I think this loss will take the pressure off of her and now she will not be harped about the who "no loss" issue.

What she needs to realize from today is that she has to work really hard to keep her patience in check...thats what lost her the match today...She was wild with her shots and impatient.

Juju played enuf to capitalize but it wasnt like she was forcing Serena into errors or blazing winners by her...so thats something Serena can take away from this match...she also needed to come to net more...My goodness in most of the rallies...Juju was almost out of camera view being so far behind the baseline

Rocketta
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:19 PM
I agree with you! Serena actually played a lot like she did on that day against Patty. She just kept rushing in the first set. It was spooky. I don't know where Serena's mind was today but she wasn't able to real it in so whatever she did to not be completely focused on this match I know she won't repeat that mistake.

Justine played very smart and capitalized on her opportunities. She deserved it.

Mr. Man
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:20 PM
ahh she still 21-1. :kiss:
Serena knows what she did wrong, and she'll fix it. :D

Jeff
I'm not happy, but somewhat relieved. This loss, as mentioned above, will help her to get stronger. It'll also rid of the question "Will Serena go undefeated for 2003...will she ever lose?" Definetly a lot of pressure for her. Perhaps, while now being a mere 21-1 and #1 in the world, will take maybe some pressure off.

wongqks
I am happy for Justine and I think this will help Serena as well, at least she did not lose this in Roland Garros, Justine will be the one to watch on clay, she has played herself into the tournament, and she will take a load of confident after this win, expect to see some fireworks next time they meet ;)

Rocketta
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:21 PM
Juju played enuf to capitalize but it wasnt like she was forcing Serena into errors or blazing winners by her...so thats something Serena can take away from this match...she also needed to come to net more...My goodness in most of the rallies...Juju was almost out of camera view being so far behind the baseline

I totally agree with you on this. There was a couple of times where Serena just stayed mid court trying to hit winners when she needed to come to the net and finish the point. Its all good in the end though. Venus needs to get her butt on the court to get her clay feet wet.

Infiniti2001
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:22 PM
Serena never said that she was unbeatable.. She set a very high goal for herself this year knowing that it is impossible, that's all...

BK4ever
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:24 PM
I agree with you! Serena actually played a lot like she did on that day against Patty. She just kept rushing in the first set. It was spooky. I don't know where Serena's mind was today but she wasn't able to real it in so whatever she did to not be completely focused on this match I know she won't repeat that mistake.

Justine played very smart and capitalized on her opportunities. She deserved it.

So true...but the only real mistake I saw Serena make today was with her patience...it was up and down...from 3-0 up all Juju had to do was keep the ball in play...About 90% of points won by Juju from that point on was Serena UE...not forced...but mostly unforced...

She just has to remember that she has to work the point more as well as come to net...

fleemkeģ
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:25 PM
ok Serena wasn't that good but Justine didn't play on her best too! Her first serve sucked hard! But she used her brains and just kept the ball in the court and defende great :D Serena went crazy ;)

nikita771
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:30 PM
Justine did what she had to do to win this match. I too am glad that Serena no longer has to remain unbeaten for the rest of the year. Last year - she was out there having fun and winning tournaments. It's a lot of pressure to put on yourself to not lose match all year. Although she admitted that it was highly unlikely that she would reach the goal - now that it's no longer an option, maybe she can get back to just playing hard and winning some more. I'm happy for Justine and definitely send her sincere congratulations.

Rocketta
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:33 PM
So true...but the only real mistake I saw Serena make today was with her patience...it was up and down...from 3-0 up all Juju had to do was keep the ball in play...About 90% of points won by Juju from that point on was Serena UE...not forced...but mostly unforced...

She just has to remember that she has to work the point more as well as come to net...

Serena's serve wasn't popping either and she was making dumb errors on Justine's 2nd serves. However, her return game is also due to lack of patience. Oh well on to the next tournament.

Harju.
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:38 PM
Serena did not play like what she did against Davenport!! However with this loss, players will see that she's actually BEATABLE

Go Juju!!!

BK4ever
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:43 PM
Serena did not play like what she did against Davenport!! However with this loss, players will see that she's actually BEATABLE

Go Juju!!!

Its so stupid when people say a player who has been beaten before is BEATABLE...

Serena didnt have to be beaten today for people to know she is beatable...she has been beaten many times :rolleyes:

aisha
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:10 PM
Congratulations Justine!

I'm not disappointed at all instead I'm relieved. If the run was going to end it was going to be on clay. Justine did not fold, she outplayed Serena on the important points and stayed aggressive.

Serena did not have it today and that's okay. She's allowed to have a lapse every now and then. It happens to every player. I don't think less of her because of this loss because I know she will learn from it like the champion has proven to be.

And duh, every player is beatable.

*abby*
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:22 PM
:bounce: firstly congrats justine ur my 2nd fave player!!!!!well done
2nd i am also glad that serena lost, not only because now she knows she cant go the whole season unbeaten, but also because it will give the other players (namely jen) more confidence knowing she is not unbeatable and that she has her weaknesses.

1jackson2001
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:17 PM
I have a sense of relief.

Oizo
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:24 PM
Yes, I am happy cuz Justine beat her again and won confidence.

Becool
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:46 PM
:bounce: firstly congrats justine ur my 2nd fave player!!!!!well done
2nd i am also glad that serena lost, not only because now she knows she cant go the whole season unbeaten, but also because it will give the other players (namely jen) more confidence knowing she is not unbeatable and that she has her weaknesses.

LOL At this post.. Serena never said she was unbeatable! Some Jennifer fans are very happy at this opportunity to start a Serena's not unbeatable bashing..

Serena said it was something impossible to do.. she knew she would lose one day, she lost to Justine on clay.. Justine's best surface..

Congrats Serena.. PLay better next time

You're still the best :kiss:

Cybelle Darkholme
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:50 PM
Id rather she lose here and then destroy justine at roland garros. Serena lost in germany and then stormed back and crushed justine in rome so i'm not worried.

england_rules
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:59 PM
Id rather she lose here and then destroy justine at roland garros. Serena lost in germany and then stormed back and crushed justine in rome so i'm not worried.
crushed? :confused: It was 76 64, since when has that been considered "crushed"?

Mad-About-Venus
Apr 14th, 2003, 12:03 AM
Serena looked pretty relaxed and and sort of unshaken by the lost when she shook hands with Justine, she was all smiles and that made me feel good. I wanted Serena to win, but Justine is great and she just deserved it, she played like a champion.

So let's all :worship: to Justine. She was great today.

Chance
Apr 14th, 2003, 12:11 AM
This was the final I wanted right from the beginning, I knew Justine is a force to be reckon with on clay but after I read how well Serena played Davenport, I thought Serena was going to win. So I was quite surprised,when I heard about the straight set win by Justine. I like both girls and if Serena's run was ever going to end I wanted it to be one of my favs.Justine is so underrated and seems always overlooked, so it's good to see she proved people wrong. :D
However I think Justine should drop one of her tournaments if she wants to be fresh for Roland Garros.

As for Serena she is still terrafabulous, really I believe this loss will motivate her even more to win RG. In the long run sometimes a loss isn't such a bad thing.

Mrs. Peel
Apr 14th, 2003, 12:52 AM
"Sometimes you need to lose," Williams said. "I'm so motivated now. I can just feel it coming on again. So you've got to watch out."

You better believe she means it !!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Better here than at Roland Garros!

Congratulations Justine on your fortitude!!!

tennischick
Apr 14th, 2003, 02:43 AM
if Serena HAD to lose a match on clay, i'd rather it be at the beginning of the season and to someone that she can look back on the match and learn a great deal from. if she had lost to Ashley Harkleroad ( :shudder: ) i would have been seriously pissed. but to lose to Justine at the beginning of the season is just fine. Serena is a smart girl. she will make the necessary adjustments. watch out Roland Garros!!!! :eek:

and serious congrats to Justine. what a wonderful match! ;)

Experimentee
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:52 AM
I'm not happy. I think she was back to her old ways today, and it shows that she can still choke in a match and shes not come that far mentally after all. I cant believe she missed so many bps and couldnt win after being up a break in both sets.

doloresc
Apr 14th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Well, Serena IMO will not be brought back down to earth. LOL. But I do agree that she will become stronger and work harder, because their are serious challengers when it comes to clay. Clay is the greatest equalizer, but I know that Serena will put more in her prepartion on clay.

Venus Forever, I'm happy not really because she lost but because I know that losing will only make her practice harder.

Justine did a great job on capitalizing at the right times when Rena was off, so you can't take credit away from her for doing that.

i agree completely and the timing is right for serena's loss. she has time now to work out some things because as you said, clay is the great equalizer. serena losing yesterday was great for the tour. hopefully players will be inspired by henin-hardenne's patience and intelligence during the fcc final and go into matches thinking they can beat the world's #1 player. if anything, the cries of "tennis is boring" will cease.

SerialKiller#69
Apr 14th, 2003, 01:27 PM
i am too!!!

it's refreshing to see that serena is infact beatable. i was actually convinced that serena will end this year with 0 loss. but then, 1 loss isn't too bad for a goal.

job well done justine and goodluck serena.

bandabou
Apr 14th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Yeah.......she really looked relieved after the match. She wasn't that sad! Still, this loss is great.....it will make her more motivated and focused. She knows what she has to work on and will fix it. Win RG babygirl!!

Rae Q.
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:32 PM
I totally agree with you guys! Serena's gonna come back more pumped up than ever! :bounce:

spartanfan
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:54 PM
The thing with Serena is that in the past year or year in a half, Serena has been using each of her losses as modivation. She admitted that in Miami she had not been practicing very hard and now with this loss she'll get refocused and kick it back up just in time for the French and Wimbledon. Justine did great at retrieving balls and keeping the ball deep. Let's see if she can do it consistently until the end of the French Open while defending Berlin and final points at AI and Rome and playing Fed Cup. Most players (See Venus and Serena) are smart enough to stay away from a schedule like that.

SJW
Apr 14th, 2003, 06:06 PM
while i was pissed off for the obvious reasons i kinda am happy too.

1) the pressure of going undefeated is OFF. we all knew in reality she wouldnt do it (even if she is better than every player out there) the streak,it was like blowing up a balloon.....the longer it went on,the more u knew it would pop

2)i (and she) cant get too complacent...get to have the BITTER taste of defeat again (in tennis of course....with Liverpool i encounter it more times than i like to mention :o)

3) it stirs up the interest in the game again...now i can watch matches with interest knowing she IS human after all, rather than skipping them knowing she would hand out an ass-whooping

4)im glad it was Henin (even if i dont like her) rather than players like Kim and Venus who i DO like. cos nobody expected Henin would do it, it was all talk of Venus and Kim.

5) Serena is like Jennifer.....the more pumped up they get, the more dangerous they become :o

and i love them for it :)

6) at least she gained points in this event ;) she will lose so many this year (beating Jenn and Venus last year as #1s and all)....and she will have somewhere next year where she can go a step better :)

venus_envy
Apr 14th, 2003, 06:08 PM
I'm thinking this will be the first of many losses for Serena this year. J-Cap and venus owe her a couple of whippings too.

SJW
Apr 14th, 2003, 06:16 PM
like hell :rolleyes:

venus_envy
Apr 14th, 2003, 06:19 PM

As I recall you were saying the same thing about Henin beating Serena and you see what happened. Just call it a hunch...Serena will be beaten much more in the very near future.

SJW
Apr 14th, 2003, 06:28 PM
find a post where i said that......

no luck? didnt think so ;)

yoyo
Apr 14th, 2003, 06:31 PM
Maybe Chris Tucker has something to do with this ! The girl is so in love she can't focus long enough...

SJW
Apr 14th, 2003, 06:34 PM
he wishes ;)

Mr. Man
Apr 15th, 2003, 01:59 AM
Just ignore Venus_envy, he lives in denial.