PDA

View Full Version : Harkelroad: The next GWH or just an American version of Anna?

TeeRexx
Apr 13th, 2003, 01:54 PM
Ashley Harkelroad is playing well and rising fast and is being heralded as the "next big thing" in U.S. tennis.
With her aggressive style of play, Ashley could be a future top twenty player, but is no immediate threat to VENUS or SERENA at this time. She may not become a real Grand Slam threat until she is 24 or 25, which, coincidently may be about the time that the WILLIAMS have gone on to other careers.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030411/capt.1050109746family_circle_cup_chtx108.jpg

However, with her youth and cuteness she will be pumped as the U.S. version of Anna K. by some promoters and agents, but hopefully that fact will not come to pass.
It is doubtful that Ashley will be an Anna.
She may actually win a singles title. :)

AjdeNate!
Apr 13th, 2003, 01:56 PM
Well, it's not all about Venus, Serena, or Anna.... and most importantly, Ashley has been the #1 ranked USA Junior for the better part of 2 years.

leslie
Apr 13th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Could someone please tell me what type of grip is that that Ashley has. It sure looks awkward. I know nothing about grips.

WtaTour4Ever
Apr 13th, 2003, 02:08 PM
No offense to you Teerexx but this GWH thing is getting really tired. Considering there aren't that many black tennis players out there , wouldn't that make anyone that is hyped the next GWH. All this is getting so old imo.

The only time the GWH is useful(if at all) is in a sport traditional not won by white/caucasian such as boxing (specifically heavyweight, not sure about the other weight divisions). When is the last time a white guy has been Champion. Or maybe even Basketball, but the term looses its purpose when you use it in a sport that is the majority white.

venusfan
Apr 13th, 2003, 02:31 PM
why people still mentioning Anna. she is all crap.. even Harkelroad is better...

Cybelle Darkholme
Apr 13th, 2003, 02:32 PM
No offense to you Teerexx but this GWH thing is getting really tired. Considering there aren't that many black tennis players out there , wouldn't that make anyone that is hyped the next GWH. All this is getting so old imo.

The only time the GWH is useful(if at all) is in a sport traditional not won by white/caucasian such as boxing (specifically heavyweight, not sure about the other weight divisions). When is the last time a white guy has been Champion. Or maybe even Basketball, but the term looses its purpose when you use it in a sport that is the majority white.

Uh you dont have to be white to be a great white hope, hello!

WtaTour4Ever
Apr 13th, 2003, 02:39 PM
True ....but that still doesn't change the point of my post.

JoeyWinson3.0
Apr 13th, 2003, 02:42 PM
Yeah I think this "Great White Hope" thing is a bit nonsensical to be honest, it's wearing a bit thin.

Smart
Apr 13th, 2003, 02:51 PM
Ashley will be better than Anna, Serena or Venus..and much more beaufitul!

CJ07
Apr 13th, 2003, 02:56 PM
Anna is better than Harkleroad at this point
Harkleroad really didnt impress me much against Henin. I'm sure she played better in her other matches, but i have a hunch it was 60% them playing poorly and 40% her. Also, her forehand and her serve will prevent her from the top 10 and her grunt (as stupid as it seems) is way to defensive, it sounds like shes asking you to stop beating her
Ashley has a nice future, but the russians and bartoli i believe will have better careers

WtaTour4Ever
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:04 PM
and her grunt (as stupid as it seems) is way to defensive, it sounds like shes asking you to stop beating her

Thats hilarious...... damn I wish I had taped Justine and Ashley.

auntie janie
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:05 PM
I don't think the Anna-angle will come into Ashley's marketing any more. Ashley accomplished more this week (beating 3 top-20 players -- 2 of them top-10 -- back-to-back) than Anna has done in a single week in years.

They will exploit her looks, to be sure, but to bring Anna's name in is no longer a compliment to an athlete, and the marketers know that.

Best of luck to yougn Ashley. I hope she gets sound advice and concentrates on tennis, and not on cheesy photo shoots featuring cowgirl outfits with unbuttoned blouses. ;)

BK4ever
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:05 PM
mmc...we'll forgive you because you know little about the game of tennis ;)

Why are you obsessed with comparing Ash to all those Russian girls...if you knew enough, you would know that Ash has more variety than all of them put together and that with her game it will take her longer to come good...but trust me, she will...BTW, the last time Ash played Sveta and Bartoli...she beat them

Look how old Juju was when she first made a splash...

It will take her longer to come good, but she will...even with that western forehand grip...

TR...lets not start the GWH shite again...trust me when I tell ya that Ash does not want that tag...nor does she give a shit about wanting to be a media hyped player like Anna (not that its Anna's fault)...

selesfan
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:15 PM

Great post as always! :)

selesfan
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:17 PM
Anna is better than Harkleroad at this point
Harkleroad really didnt impress me much against Henin. I'm sure she played better in her other matches, but i have a hunch it was 60% them playing poorly and 40% her. Also, her forehand and her serve will prevent her from the top 10 and her grunt (as stupid as it seems) is way to defensive, it sounds like shes asking you to stop beating her
Ashley has a nice future, but the russians and bartoli i believe will have better careers

Thats what you keep telling us :rolleyes:

venusfan
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:19 PM
Is anna still playing that challenger next week?

Experimentee
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:23 PM
I dont think Ashley is that good, but shes obviously playing well this week, maybe she is just good on clay.

selesfan
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:25 PM
Is anna still playing that challenger next week?

Probably not, she pulled out of Amelia Island with an injury so I can't picture her playing a challenger event.

leslie
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:37 PM
I don't think the Anna-angle will come into Ashley's marketing any more. Ashley accomplished more this week (beating 3 top-20 players -- 2 of them top-10 -- back-to-back) than Anna has done in a single week in years.

They will exploit her looks, to be sure, but to bring Anna's name in is no longer a compliment to an athlete, and the marketers know that.

Best of luck to yougn Ashley. I hope she gets sound advice and concentrates on tennis, and not on cheesy photo shoots featuring cowgirl outfits with unbuttoned blouses. ;)

What looks? she's o.k. nothing to go crazy over.

Seenus
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:43 PM
GWH stands for "Girl Who hustles"

auntie janie
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:44 PM
What looks? she's o.k. nothing to go crazy over.

Well that's what I think, too, but that is also what I have always thought about Anna as well, who is definitely cute, but nothing spectacular looks-wise, so it just goes to show. ;)

But Anna does ooze sexuality in a way I can't see Ashley putting across. And maybe that is just as well for AH's future IN TENNIS.

CJ07
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:48 PM
mmc...we'll forgive you because you know little about the game of tennis ;)

Why are you obsessed with comparing Ash to all those Russian girls...if you knew enough, you would know that Ash has more variety than all of them put together and that with her game it will take her longer to come good...but trust me, she will...BTW, the last time Ash played Sveta and Bartoli...she beat them

Look how old Juju was when she first made a splash...

It will take her longer to come good, but she will...even with that western forehand grip...

TR...lets not start the GWH shite again...trust me when I tell ya that Ash does not want that tag...nor does she give a shit about wanting to be a media hyped player like Anna (not that its Anna's fault)...
the reason im comparing her to the russians and bartoli is because they are in her age group, not because of their similar play

and if you look at their results thus far, you see i have a point

so stop hatin :)

TonyP
Apr 13th, 2003, 04:05 PM
What exactly does "GWH" mean?

harloo
Apr 13th, 2003, 04:23 PM
Yes, Ashley will become the GWH if her results improve. However, it is not something that she will create. The creators are the media, and tennis community.

Ashley IMO, is probably not thinking about things in those terms, but the machine is. All she probably want's to do is go out every tournament and play well which is what every player should focus on.

BK4ever
Apr 13th, 2003, 04:40 PM
Yes, Ashley will become the GWH if her results improve. However, it is not something that she will create. The creators are the media, and tennis community.

Ashley IMO, is probably not thinking about things in those terms, but the machine is. All she probably want's to do is go out every tournament and play well which is what every player should focus on.

Yes Ashley is definitely not concerned with the hype...

She has a great agent who helps her keep it all in focus...not that Ash needs that much help...she is very down to earth

selesfan
Apr 13th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Yes Ashley is definitely not concerned with the hype...

She has a great agent who helps her keep it all in focus...not that Ash needs that much help...she is very down to earth

She sounds sweet in all the articles I read about her, very down to earth. :)

spokenword73
Apr 13th, 2003, 04:50 PM
What exactly does "GWH" mean?

Great White Hope...it's a long story :)

TonyP
Apr 13th, 2003, 07:08 PM
What exactly does Hackleroad's race have to do with tennis and why is it being brought up here?

I didn't know tennis was black people against white people. Is it?

kournikovafan13
Apr 13th, 2003, 07:28 PM

I figured I would see you, janie, in here. I know you can't resist trashing Anna. Anyways. Ashley only beat ONE top 10 player this week - Hantuchova.

I love Ashley, but I can't see her breaking into the top 5. After a few months I'll be able to determine whether I think she's top ten material. You can't base that on one week, no matter how good it is.

Jakeev
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:17 PM
Awwwwww look has returned to our cozy little nest with this post....

Anna is better than Ashley at this point? Has somebody been paying attention to tennis in 2003?