PDA

View Full Version : Henin-Hardenne Downs Harkleroad In Family Circle Cup Semis

tennisIlove09
Apr 13th, 2003, 07:12 AM
Henin-Hardenne Downs Harkleroad In Family Circle Cup Semis

By Brad Falkner
04/12/2003

Displaying an impressive array of shots, Justine Henin-Hardenne ended Ashley Harkleroad's inspired run through the Family Circle Cup draw with a 6-2, 6-1 semifinal victory in Charleston today.

The second-seeded Henin-Hardenne advanced to Sunday's final where she takes on top-seeded Serena Williams, who was a 6-1, 7-5 victor over third-seeded Lindsay Davenport in today's second semifinal.

Often times in tennis the final score does little justice to the actual quality of the match, such was the case in today's first semi. Henin-Hardenne did outplay her younger opponent, however Harkleroad hung tough with Henin-Hardenne during many of their baseline rallies.

The 17-year-old Harkleroad, who dispatched three seeded opponents — Elena Bovina, Meghann Shaughnessy and Daniela Hantuchova — to reach the semis admitted Henin-Hardenne controlled many of the points.

"She just dominated the points today, and I just was trying hard to stay in the points and trying to be able to dominate," Harkleroad said. "But I just didn’t feel like I could."

The crafty Belgian used all of the weapons in her arsenal today, which included deft drop shots, swinging vollies, heavy slice backhand and ferocious forehands. She also kept Harkleroad constantly guessing by brilliantly mixing up her style of play.

"I think that I can do different things and it depends a little bit on the opponent," Henin-Hardenne said. "I can play with my slice. If I have to do a lot of rallies, I can do that, so I just tried to be a complete player and just try to do different things so the player never knows what I am going to do."

Henin-Hardenne dropped serve only once in the match and knows she will have to serve well against the undefeated Williams.

"You know, Serena is the number one in the world, and she does not lose a lot of matches, so I mean it's going to be a tough match for me," said Henin-Hardenne, who has reached the final in her Family Circle Cup debut. "I think that I have the chance. I beat her one day last year in Berlin 7-6 in the third and a close match the next week in Rome (Williams won 7-6(6), 6-4)."

gladysharon
Apr 13th, 2003, 07:39 AM
I'll support Justine in full swing!! :bounce: :bounce:

schris
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:12 AM
Come on JUJU :bounce:

per4ever
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:08 AM
keep mixing up Justine and Serena will be going down :D

Glenn
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:12 AM
keep mixing up Justine and Serena will be going down :D

Well said! :D

jenny161185
Apr 13th, 2003, 01:06 PM
everyones thinking serena will bag this in 2 but it'll be close - justine will put up a good fight, i know she can do it!

fleemke³
Apr 13th, 2003, 02:09 PM
allez Justine :bounce: