PDA

View Full Version : Williams looks like a lock at Family Circle Cup

tennisIlove09
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:12 AM
Williams looks like a lock at Family Circle Cup

By Ron Cioffi

FROM THE FAMILY CIRCLE CUP IN CHARLESTON, S.C. – The controversy in this part of the world is how well will Tiger do at the Masters on Sunday. Oh, by the way, there is a tennis tournament here.

Don't tell finalist Justine Henin-Hardenne but one player by the name of Serena Williams is standing between her and a Tier I championship. And, lately, she doesn't lose.

Serena went up to 22-0 in 2003 with a straight-set victory over Lindsay Davenport. She did it in convincing fashion ... an easy 6-1 first set followed by closer second set that only demonstrated her mettle as a champion, 7-5.

Henin-Hardenne had a much easier trip to the finals as she breezed by Ashley Harkleroad, 6-2, 6-1. But, no matter how well Harkleroad was playing in her surprising run to the semis, she was no competition for the tour-savvy Justine.

One thing going for the No. 4 Belgian, she is the last player to beat Serena on clay. Flash back to last year's German Open final when the wiry Henin-Hardenne won in a third-set tiebreak. While a repeat would be a noted upset, at least she's got of the tools to give it a reasonable try on the green clay of Charleston.

Justine's topspin backhand is a thing of beauty, along with being a solid weapon. However, the slice shot she uses from the same wing is as nasty as they come. The ball stays low like any good slice but can change direction on the dirt. Additionally, she's become a more aggressive net-rusher who feels like she knock off volleys whenever she gets the chance.

Henin-Hardenne will exploit the clay and unleash an arsenal of shots more dangerous than then they are on hard courts. She can surprise with a deft drop shot. The clay also will soften the pace of Williams' ferocious groundstrokes and serves.

All that said, why is Serena is the favorite? Tennis can be a simple game. Hit the ball harder and more accurately than your opponent and you'll win. And that is Serena's simple and powerful plan of attack. Look for another Williams victory in two hard-fought sets.

BasicTennis
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:27 AM
Even a Hardened Justine can't beat Serena.:devil:

Rtael
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:29 AM
Basic, it's apparent YOU get hard thinking about serena :rolleyes:

BasicTennis
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:30 AM
Basic, it's apparent YOU get hard thinking about serena :rolleyes:

even this statement can't rattle Serena.:worship:

gladysharon
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:37 AM
ALLEZ JUSTINE no matter what you say!

tennisIlove09
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:40 AM
Basic...you are too funny. I love your posts :D

BasicTennis
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:42 AM
Basic...you are too funny. I love your posts :D
I need to see this in my reputation report. :worship: LOL...just kidding. :kiss: