PDA

View Full Version : Is Aaliyah being exploited?

ASV
Apr 13th, 2003, 02:40 AM
She's dead, and yet new videos are made and new songs are released.

Is she being exploited?

Cariaoke
Apr 13th, 2003, 02:46 AM
No, if 2pac and Elvis made more dead than alive then no way is Aaliyah even remotely being exploited. There is definitely a scale of exploitation, though. If Elvis and Pac are a 10, I'd say Aaliyah's maybe a 2.

toreador
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:43 AM
i certainly don't like that but what can i do?:o
i don't really care about elvis or 2pac

JoeyWinson3.0
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:53 AM
I certainly don't think Aaliyah got the recognition in the UK before her death than after, she got her first number one soon after her death and to be honest... she wouldnt have reached top 10 with it if she would have been alive. No disrespect but unfortunately in the UK she has been better known after her death than before.

JoeyWinson3.0
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:56 AM
But no, she isnt being exploited as much as Elvis and Tupac, mind you who is to say Tupac is dead? Massive exploitation coming out of Tupac's "death" that it is nearly unbelievable, now I don't like conspiracy theroists points of view but, I dunno I still remain sceptical.

Elvis is dead tho.

Rocketta
Apr 13th, 2003, 04:14 AM
I don't think tupac is being a exploited he explicitly made recordings for his vault cause he wanted to live after his death. He recorded and recorded stuff all the time. I think tupac is getting exactly what he wanted.

Dava
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:44 AM
I think Aaliyah is certainly being explioted but not as badly as some other celebritys. Aaliyah was SUCCEFULL before her death, even here in the UK, Back and Forth, One in a Million, Try Again, We Need a Resolution, Journey to The Past and Are You that Somebody? had all charted well over here. But in terms of Lisa Left eye then she is. Yes they talk about her, but TLC dont sell the records on her death. Also the song Miss You is crap (Dont Know What you Tell Ya is much better), and has been released out of contex, its not about death.

No 2PAC, there is a reason none of his records made the top 40 before his death. Also how many albums can the guy have recorded, for the record companys to keep on releaseing one a year.

Beat
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:16 AM
of course she' being exploited, but then all dead pop stars are - i might add kurt cobain to 2pac and elvis - it's pop music, it makes a lot of money... so it's not all that surprising that people continue to milk it.

in aaliyah's case i think that at least it's done with some taste and not too brutally.

bluepastures
Apr 13th, 2003, 12:46 PM
To some extent, that's true with Eva Cassidy too. She's only become well-known after her tragic death from skin-cancer.

On the subject of people's deaths being exploited, the most obvious case, must surely be that of Princess Diana. A lot of people made money from selling their stories, both in newspapers and books.

*JR*
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:49 PM
I often thought Selena was (in a probably unintended way). The movie about her kind of established J-Lo as a bigger star than Selena herself had become (esp. as she was killed just B4 she was going to record in English and thus reach a far broader audience). So many or most of the ppl seeing the film were "watching J-Lo", not watching a portrayl of Selena. :sad:

Benny
Apr 20th, 2003, 07:31 AM
I don't know dava_russianrule..? Left Eye isn't really being exploited cos T and C are still alive and TLC was always gonna release 3D. But the thing is, which I agree with you, TLC's sales have dropped considerably since Left Eye died.
Ooh on the TLC Tip - Sold 4 million
CrazySexyCool - 15 million
Fanmail - about 8 million(not 100% on that)
3D - about 700,000 in the US, about 1 million worldwide.
See what I mean?

CanadianBoy21
Apr 20th, 2003, 02:12 PM
I don't think that Aaliyah is getting exploited.
She was very famous even before her death.
she is getting recognition.
because she had released her album, starred in movies, was on MTV and BET shows, and shot her vids all at the same time in a span of a few months, just when she was being recognised by lots of people, and then she passed when she was reaching new heights, and a lot of people think she would have been so much more, and that's what is tragic. She could have easily been more recognised by wearing slutty clothes but she let her talent do the talking. in the Rock The Boat vid while all her dancers were wearing shorts she wasn't, I think people appreciate that she did it all through hard work. I feel especially for Diane(Aaliyah's mom) because she lost her mom, her sister, and now her daughter.
I think the I Don't Know What To Tell Ya is not even being given a chance by stations. it is a great song.

ASV
Apr 21st, 2003, 04:54 PM
i think she is. they should be honoring her memory, not making more money

Brαm
Apr 21st, 2003, 06:17 PM
I also think she is! The whole "Aaliyah we miss you" thing sounds just like a cheap excuse to make money and sell CDs :mad: :(
That song where that black bloke says some stuff about Aaliyah, with like 20 ppl listening to him, i nthe video is just so silly :(

CanadianBoy21
Apr 21st, 2003, 07:24 PM
actually all profits go to the Aaliyah Cancer Fund....Aaliyah supported it when she was alive and all profits go there.
So it goes to a very good cause...
I think Missy Elliot is working on an Aaliyah Tribute Album, and why not, she was her best friend, and Missy rulz.

sartrista7
Apr 21st, 2003, 07:33 PM
Duh, she's being exploited, like all dead pop stars and rock stars. And, in common with them, the posthumous material is waaaay inferior to the stuff which made it on to her actual albums... there's a reason it wasn't included in the first place. It's highly crappy, but it's not as if it's a surprise.

*JR*
Apr 21st, 2003, 07:33 PM
NO opinions on the Selena/J-Lo thing I posted on here? :confused:

Havok
Apr 21st, 2003, 07:47 PM
YES BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if she didn't die, she woulda never been as big as she is now. i twould have taken her at least another year or a few albums to be as big as she is at this very moment. not saying that she sucks or anything, i reallly like her, but it seems as though you turn the corner and there's something new from the dead Aaliya and in most of the rap videos, ie. Missy Elliott, her face is everywhere. they should keep it on the backburner now, i find it's getting really old now.

CanadianBoy21
Apr 22nd, 2003, 04:42 AM
Naldo- it would have taken Aaliyah few months to get where she is remembered now.
She was going to be lot bigger.
She was supposed to be in the Matrix 2 and 3 movies, and she had other movies she got offers to, and she wanted to do a concert too.
but that is all 'what if she was alive'.
Anyways, I still love Liyah, and many people do... mainly because she had a presence around her that was warm, and eventhough new materials are not coming out, I still love her music as much as I did 2 years ago.

King Lindsay
Apr 22nd, 2003, 07:20 AM
Yes, of course she is. Just like Tupac is exploited, just like Kurt is exploited, just like Layne Staley would've been if anybody still cared ....

But how much can Aaliyah really be exploited? Let's face it, she was not that big before her death, and once enough time goes by, she'll be forgotten too. Once everybody has made every single dollar they possibly can off of her, of course. Sad, but true...

Anyway, if you don't want to be part of the Aaliyah exploitation or the exploitation of other dead celebrities, there is an easy way to extricate yourself from that moral predicament. Don't buy any posthumous works.

decemberlove
Apr 22nd, 2003, 07:25 AM
of course.

i was a big fan of aaliyah when if your girl only knew came out [love that video and the one in a million one]... but eventually fell off. im tired of hearing about her really. yeah i like her music but enough if enough.

Jarrett
Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:01 AM
NO opinions on the Selena/J-Lo thing I posted on here? :confused:

Yes, ITA. My sister and I never liked Jennifer Lopez after she road the wave that Selena was suppose to. We met Selena several times (my grandmother owned a tejano club in Houston) and were crushed by Selena's death. I really didn't like how many CDs were released with the same songs you can find on other albums or remixes that weren't even worth listening too. I remember paying $50 bucks for the anthlogy when it came out and that was just horrible. Thank godness they released "Ones" for only $12 and that has all the hits that you would ever want along with the videos on a DVD that was included. :bounce:

CanadianBoy21
Apr 22nd, 2003, 05:25 PM
"and once enough time goes by, she'll be forgotten too"
u might forget her, and many other people might too, but there is still a lot of people who care about Aaliyah because she was down to earth and made great music. I don't think she will be forgotten.
"Anyway, if you don't want to be part of the Aaliyah exploitation or the exploitation of other dead celebrities, there is an easy way to extricate yourself from that moral predicament. Don't buy any posthumous works."
why not buy any posthumous work? why do u think people buy posthumous work, maybe because they like the music and the style!?
The posthumous CD I CARE 4 U sold very well indeed, and it had songs I never heard of before.
We all have our different tastes, and I like Aaliyahs music, u might like someone else... but the fact that she is dead does not affect if people like her music or not. U might like someone extremely popular, like Madonna, but would u ever really meet her...it comes down to what music she makes, and music plays a big part in our lives.
i think u are way off... and people SHOULD be remembered who were amazing.

Rae Q.
Apr 22nd, 2003, 05:36 PM
Duh, she's being exploited, like all dead pop stars and rock stars. And, in common with them, the posthumous material is waaaay inferior to the stuff which made it on to her actual albums... there's a reason it wasn't included in the first place. It's highly crappy, but it's not as if it's a surprise.

Yeah I totally agree with that. It happens to tons of singer when they die so it's no different that it's happening to Aaliyah. She's still one of my fav's and I miss her. I still get emotional when I play At Your Best my fav song and I'm happy I have tons of great memories of her but life has to go on.

CanadianBoy21
Apr 24th, 2003, 02:40 AM
Yeah I totally agree with that. It happens to tons of singer when they die so it's no different that it's happening to Aaliyah. She's still one of my fav's and I miss her. I still get emotional when I play At Your Best my fav song and I'm happy I have tons of great memories of her but life has to go on.

So true... life has to go on, and all we can do is take memories with us and try to make us a better person from it.

anton
Apr 24th, 2003, 02:46 AM
i didnt like it when for 'queen of the damned' the tag line was 'all she wants is hell on earth'

also i read the book and the book was good but i didnt see the movie yet.

was the movie good?

kodeRED
Apr 24th, 2003, 03:14 AM
ya'll r fools Aaliyah was the greatest singer ever and you all want us to just forget about never listen to her new songs... its not her new album was sung by someone else and is tauted as Aaliyah just to sell cd's !! i mean her song "Miss You" is a beautiful ballad and why not realease the single .. im sure lots of the money goes to charity plus the fact that who cares if the record companies make money off it that is their job and she is still getting recognition and appreciation!!! btw Aaliyah was about to hit it big when she died her album had she been able to promote it properly would have been a big seller and her movies esp matrix 2 and 3 would have boosted her to super stardom!!! she was and still is my favorite star!!! i miss u

CanadianBoy21
Apr 24th, 2003, 03:14 AM
I thought the movie was good. Aaliyah was great in it. :)

kodeRED
Apr 24th, 2003, 03:16 AM
to be honest ANTON the move >> Queen of the Damned was not good at all but when Aaliyah came on screen about half way thru the movie u saw the very incarnation of a star... she was stunning and even in that type of a lifeless role u could c her acting skill!! i miss u

King Lindsay
Apr 24th, 2003, 03:25 AM
why not buy any posthumous work? why do u think people buy posthumous work, maybe because they like the music and the style!?
The posthumous CD I CARE 4 U sold very well indeed, and it had songs I never heard of before.
We all have our different tastes, and I like Aaliyahs music, u might like someone else... but the fact that she is dead does not affect if people like her music or not. U might like someone extremely popular, like Madonna, but would u ever really meet her...it comes down to what music she makes, and music plays a big part in our lives.
i think u are way off... and people SHOULD be remembered who were amazing.

You obviously have no idea what I was trying to say with my post. I'm not sure how my words can be misunderstood, but hey you've managed to do it.

"Anyway, if you don't want to be part of the Aaliyah exploitation or the exploitation of other dead celebrities, there is an easy way to extricate yourself from that moral predicament. Don't buy any posthumous works."

This is what I wrote. Then you wrote the paragraph in the quotes, which makes ZERO SENSE in any way. I wasn't saying don't remember worthy people. I wasn't saying her being dead affects whether people like her music or not. Were you drunk when you wrote all that? Please tell me how anything you wrote there relates to what I said.

CanadianBoy21
Apr 24th, 2003, 04:22 PM
What I wrote King Lindsay was not entirely a response to u, partially though.
I just felt like expressing my opinion, and u mistakingly thought it was all directed towards u.

And yes, I do believe u are wrong.
it's still music, and the bottom line is that music industries exploit EVERYONE they can, not just the dead.