PDA

View Full Version : You're only as good as your second serve..

Rollo
Apr 13th, 2003, 12:19 AM
Didn't we all hear that at least once learning tennis? It's one of Billie Jean King's favorite lines too. Looking at today's Serena-Davenport semi the tyhought ran throw my head again and again.

Serena had what 8 or 9 aces? Impressive- but what REALLY made the diff between her and Big D today was the second serve. I don't think Rena had a single double I can recall, and those second serves spun up so Davenport had trouble attacking them on break points. Compare that to how Davenport's second serves let her down.

Off the ground Swerena was more spectacular than LD , yet also more error-prone. I didn't see an edge in groundies. It's that kick second serve......

Thoughts?

King Lindsay
Apr 13th, 2003, 12:30 AM
I didn't see today's match, but I know from prior meetings that Lindsay is just not very confident in having to deliver a second ball to either sister. They're both very aggessive on it, and I think Lindsay feels she has to be perfect on it, which leads to doubles and so forth.

It is true that Serena doesn't have the same problem with her 2nd serve. It's good, it's tough to attack, and it's a real weapon. also, I would imagine that it's pretty demoralizing to have a break point and just get totally handcuffed by the second ball.

1jackson2001
Apr 13th, 2003, 12:43 AM
I believe Serena hit an ace down the tee with one of her second serves today. Some other had quite a bit of pace and were really well placed too..

tennischick
Apr 13th, 2003, 12:46 AM
i think that Serena had the edge in both serving and groundies. yes i watched the match and Lindsay kept double-faulting so i agree with your assessment Rollo.

but Serena''s groundies were also massively powerful. yes she made errors but her strokes in general were significantly more powerful than Lindsay's. (and Lindsay is no slouch in the power department!)

Serena also had the edge with movement. Serena ran down everything Lindsay threw at her -- while Lindsay often gave up on the shot either bec she knew she couldn't get to ot or bec even if she did, her return would be so weak that it didn't matter. she was overpowered and outmatched.

nice post Rollo! :kiss:

Sam L
Apr 13th, 2003, 12:54 AM
Hey rollo, you are so right. I think the biggest reason Serena is dominating is because of this kick second serve. I mean how many women can do this regularly and consistently aside from her?

Yak
Apr 13th, 2003, 12:57 AM
People need to return her second serve like Bartoli did! You have to hit it before it jumps above your shoulders!

BK4ever
Apr 13th, 2003, 12:58 AM
Davey hits her second too flat sometimes...I noticed that Serena was trying out a very heavy topspin second serve today...

Even though I love her kick second serve...there are times when she doesnt get enuf depth on it...

vs1
Apr 13th, 2003, 12:59 AM
I watched the match and it was really quite amazing. Lindsay played pretty well! It wasn't like she wasn't giving Serena a good run, esp. in the second set, but sheesh! Nothing seems to phase the Princess! It's like, just when you think she's on the edge of a downswing, she comes out swinging like mad and produces such amazing serves (and angles). It took my breath away. Talk about grace and domination all rolled into one! :hearts:

Leena
Apr 13th, 2003, 02:38 AM
You're only as good as your second serve..

Explain how Aniko Kapros has won matches in her career.

BK4ever
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:31 AM
Explain how Aniko Kapros has won matches in her career.

Because once she gets in a rally...she can do damage...She has great groundstrokes...and even though her second serve is pathetic in terms of MPH...she does manage to get good placement on it...even though its slow as hell...

Dawn Marie
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:48 AM
I saw alot of the match, and quite frankly Serena took me by surprise. In that first set she was amazing and so dominating! Flawless!

I disagree about the second serve being the key factor. The factor is Serena can blow Lindsay away with better powerful and angles groundies than Lindsay can. I remeber in Indian Wells when Serena handed Linds her worse defeat in a long time. Serena was just too good. Just like in that first set. If Serena and Lindsay were to play their best tennis Serena would win everytime.

Also it's a known fact that people are starting to read Lindsay's serve now. She tends to go outwide on I THINK the duece court. Not sure.

Anyway, Serena was attacking Lindsay's serve because she knew where they were going. Serena's return game is also highly underestimated as well.

Honestly, Lindsay is a great champion and fighter and player, but Serena is better in ever department than Lindsay. Speed,serve,groundies,mental attitude,break points,angles and return.