Mark Spruce
Apr 13th, 2003, 12:44 AM
regards

Mark

Mary Pierce
Date: 4/2/2003
MARY PIERCE (w) vs. AMANDA COETZER

6-3, 1-6, 6-0

Q. Can you talk about having to play two matches in one day and against two really good players today? Was that difficult at all?

MARY PIERCE: I haven't done it in a while, so it's kind of different playing singles and doubles because that happens often to play two matches in a day, singles and doubles match, but it's a little bit different playing two singles matches, and I really didn't play two whole matches singles wise. Well, I finished off the third set this morning and then played a singles match. So you know, for me I was happy to win my match this morning against Anastasia, and so I enjoyed it for a few minutes and then started focusing for my next match that I had coming up against Amanda. So you know, if anything, that was the hardest thing to do because usually you play a match, you relax and you prepare for the next day or the day after. But you know, I really feel good and I was just happy.

Q. Did you start feeling a little tired at all in that second match after, you know, like I said, having to play this morning and then getting some rest and then coming back and playing again?

MARY PIERCE: No, not really.

Q. Going back ‑‑ staying on the Myskina match, that last set was kind of interesting, just with all the service breaks, and then you know, that's kind of unusual, and then she appeared to be really kind of rattled the last game or two, the unforced errors, the double faults. When you see that sort of frustration in your opponent, does it add confidence to your game?

MARY PIERCE: Well, it's actually kind of dangerous in a way because Anastasia, she seems to really she kind of ‑‑ the way she hits the ball, she slaps the ball, and it's hit or miss. I mean she can hit a winner or a mistake, so it's hard to play somebody like that. What I try to do is just to stay focused on myself and my game and do the best that I could.

Q. Do you feel like you're playing some of your best tennis this week? You know, I guess compared to the rest of the year, do you feel like you're kind of maybe hitting your stride a little bit this week?

MARY PIERCE: I feel like I am coming closer and closer to a level that I will be happy with and pleased with. Well, I always want to get better, but definitely starting to feel like I am out there and giving myself a chance to be able to compete with the girls in the top. And for me, yesterday and today, I've been waiting for this for the last two years and just to finally feel like I'm out there, and like I said, giving myself a chance to compete with the girls in the top. And you know, I feel really good. And I haven't felt this good in two years, and I feel I'm playing well and playing better, so it's really encouraging.

Q. Has it been kind of frustrating with the injuries and things knowing how good you can play, but the body just won't respond?

MARY PIERCE: Yeah. It's kind of like, you know, I said to myself today, I said, MP is back. You know, I just feel like I'm back and playing well, and it's kind of like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now, and the last couple years have been really hard and injuries and just being really ‑‑ I've just been real persistent and persevered in my training and doing what I know that I need to do, and it always pays off. It's paid off for me in the past, and there's really no secrets, and I've just been doing what I need to do, and I'm starting to see the results.

Q. You looked like you were really having fun out there today. You were smiling and kind of joking around and stuff. Do you feel like you're really having a good time out there now too?

MARY PIERCE: Yeah. I am. I'm starting to enjoy it more and having more fun, like you said, because it's really frustrating when I'm out there

Leo_DFP
Apr 13th, 2003, 04:51 AM
I loved that "MP is back" quote. I just had to add it to my sig. :D Keep up with the good results, MP. :kiss:

Mark Spruce
Apr 14th, 2003, 02:45 AM
I liked it as well.

I am going to add it to my web site

Mark