PDA

View Full Version : Whoa! an overlooked fact about Ashley!!!

Jakeev
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:22 PM
It just dawned on me she beat Martina Navratilova in a doubles match yesterday. Talking about having something to tell her grandkids someday......

ASV
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:27 PM
big deal.

Jakeev
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:31 PM
What's the matter ASV somebody piss in your cereal this morning and then make you eat it after?

CJ07
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:36 PM
Beating a 46 year old Martina on CLAY 6-4 in the third, well, its something she should be proud of, but its not that big of a deal

Jakeev
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:39 PM
I am sure if you were to ask Ashley about it....over even Mashona Washington for that matter........they would beg to differ with you.

ASV
Apr 13th, 2003, 01:38 AM
They would,,,,but we being tennis fans wouldn't

AjdeNate!
Apr 13th, 2003, 02:11 AM
I think it will be something she'll always remember.

selesfan
Apr 13th, 2003, 02:20 AM
I think it is great. Ashley was on court with a tennis legend. :)

Zummi
Apr 13th, 2003, 05:09 AM
Oh please, Martina is only a shadow of her former self at 46. And clay is her worst surface. And this was just her first tournament ever with Alicia. Despite all this, they were up 4-2 in the final set but blew it.

I agree with the others: big deal.

Jeff
Apr 13th, 2003, 07:17 AM
Not a super, super deal in general...but the fact that she reached her first singles semifinal of a pro event, as well as defeated a legend in doubles, this has been a huge tournament for her.

tennisIlove09
Apr 13th, 2003, 07:24 AM
Considering the icon Martina is, I think it's a huge deal for Ashley. Just being on the court with Martina must have been a honor...but to beat her? what a thrill!

BasicTennis
Apr 13th, 2003, 07:29 AM
It's a big deal for Martina Navratilova; she simply hates losing....her wrinkles reflects this feeling.;)

SM
Apr 13th, 2003, 07:33 AM
Even if Martina is 102 it still means something special to beat the best ever player, and will be a good confidence booster for a youngster like Ashley!

BasicTennis
Apr 13th, 2003, 07:39 AM
Even if Martina is 102 it still means something special to beat the best ever player, and will be a good confidence booster for a youngster like Ashley!
I agree. :worship: Ashley is now a part of Martina's colorful tennis career. :kiss:

spencercarlos
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:26 AM
It deserves some credit, Martina a great doubles player, she has won 3 titles? since Madrid last year, so she should be playing some pretty good tennis, not for nothing she and Svetlana won over Suarez and Ruano in Miami. So beating her is a great acomplishment no matter what.

Do you think Hantuchova was proud after her 2-6 6-2 6-2 win in Eastbourne over Martina? i think so too.

Jakeev
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:53 AM
I don't give a damn how old Martina is she is still a legendary tennis player and one of the greatest to play the game.

I would think a player like Ashley must have been thrilled to see her on the other side of the net.

I am most surprised at Zummi though I guess he woke up with his panties in a bunch like the other sourpusses.

Zummi
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:17 PM
Or maybe some of us are not as eager to jump on the Harkleroad bandwagon like everyone else...

It's probably more embarassing for Martina to lose to players ranked #136 & #202 in doubles :o

SM
Apr 14th, 2003, 02:24 AM
zummi if Ashley did great only in doubles thius would not mean much but IMO looking at the whole situation you've got to give the girl more credit!!

She defeated two top players in Hantuchova and Shuaghnessy (who recently beat Williams) and showed she has many dimensions to her game by backing it all up in doubles with a few good wins!

Maybe Ash is just ready to take the next step up now? :confused:

Zummi
Apr 14th, 2003, 02:30 AM
Oh I wasn't taking anything away from her singles results. I think she had a great week and should be very proud of the whole thing. It's just that beating Martina, ranked #22, in doubles is not that big a deal - everyone beats Martina in doubles!

selesfan
Apr 14th, 2003, 03:42 AM
In her interview Ashley said she was thrilled to play against one of the best tennis players ever.

Sam L
Apr 14th, 2003, 06:03 AM
This thread is sooo funny; you have no idea! LOL! :o

Anyway if this is what Ashley's going to tell her grandkids, she better start looking for a second job :o

Jakeev
Apr 14th, 2003, 08:19 AM
Argh you are still missing the point Zummi but no big deal. Perhaps a nice hard coconut bashed against your head would cure the problem and then perhaps not.

But selesfan proved what I had thought anyway, and this thread has nothing to do with the freakin overrated topic of freakin "bandwagons."