PDA

View Full Version : Best Serve and Return?

SerenaSlam
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:02 PM
Serena Williams? Does todays match change anyones mind in who has the best return in the game? I mean Since the beginning of the year Serena has just been killing first and second serves, that she feels are just there waiting to be hit!

"I'd have my first serves come back at me for winners," Davenport said. "I've never had that happen to me too often."

Lindsay was getting frustrated for not getting in that first serve, but it really didn't do her that much justice. Serena Williams played to day, like she did in Paris against Amelie Mauresmo. I wonderd if this game of her's could come back and it did. I don't know if many of you saw it (Paris), but Serena's domination in todays match was very similar to that of her against Amelie in Paris. Serves tend not to even intimidate Serena anymore. Going into matches, we say the opponent of Serena's will have to Serve very well. With her retuning back lindsays 106mph first serves for outright winners, what is a person to do? And they were very good serves, a little away from the line, against everyone else, yes ace or service winner, but this new Serena, i mean in Australia Serena was blasting back at Venus and Venus was clocking them at around 112mph average. I think her returns have advanced b/c of Venus. Facing the big Serves around 115 all the time, over time you have to adjust, you evenutally figure out. And now its like 105mph average of say the entire tour, doesn't even bother Serena anymore.

Justine Henin, im sorry to say, but Serena even when she did drop her level a play a little, she will not have that big of a chance. Why did lindsay manage? B/c she is tall and much stronger than justine. Serena was clocking Lindsays first serves pretty good, but lindsay did eventually adjust, and was able to atleast get the ball back midcourt. The intimidation Serena did throw put out there, but I was glad to See that Lindsay adjusted and didin't let her effect her the entire match. With the help of Serena some, she was able to get back in it. But back to Justine, Serena returning like that tomorrow, Justine Will have no chance at all. Im sorry but if Serena just returns w/ that pace deep to her backhand, she will get a slice back 90& of the time, and that point will be over. This is a much more improved Serena Williams on Clay from 2002, and she says she doesn't even really like the Green stuff which is faster than the red. If justine saw any of that match today, going into the match tomorrow, id be said for her, cuz i don't think she will be too confident. Yes we can say Serena was just in the Zone today, but guess what, it hasn't been just today, its been all week long. And surprisingly she has kept it up very well, and today going in, not only did she keep it up, but she picked it up even more. Very well today Serena. But all in all, I think Lindsay Davenport is Very deserving of many many props. Serena played at a Very intense and high level. And Lindsay really adjusted and didn't let that affect her too much. Getting back into the match, showed to me that Lindsay has been working on her attitude. Sure go on ahead and Scream a little, but when you are down 1-6 0-2, and come back and get up 5-4, why the hell not scream? She was able to stay calm and focused, saw Serena dropped her level, and hung in there. Again, Great job both players.

Good luck Serena against Justine :)

RYN
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:04 PM
Yea Serena is crazy on the return, sheesh!

CJ07
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:26 PM
Serena is definately tops for now, but this time next year we'll be talking differently

SerenaSlam
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:33 PM
Serena is definately tops for now, but this time next year we'll be talking differently
funnie thing is, most said that this time last year, that we would be thinking differently about Serena this year. We are, thinking now who can beat her, so will be doing the same thing next year :)?

LeonHart
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:07 PM
Serena is like a moving powerhouse....man that match was shocking...:o Davenport couldn't do anything to hurt Serena in the first set.

WtaTour4Ever
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:12 PM
Yeah Serena's returns were off the hook today .....I was speechless..... its so automatic for her. Especially the return after she lost serve, talk about channeling your anger.

1jackson2001
Apr 13th, 2003, 12:11 AM
After seeing today's match all I have to do is :worship: @ Serena's returns.

Rollo
Apr 13th, 2003, 12:25 AM
Did you see where Serena herself was shaking her head in disbelief after one winner? LOL. She was "zoning" for a lot of set one.

If she's not tops at returning she's up there. Davenport at her best may still return better. Yes, Serena can nail the winners more often, but she often follows with errors too. And Serena serves better than Davenport, so of course she had it easier in returning serve today. Good thing she doesn't have to face her own second serve ;)

bandabou
Apr 14th, 2003, 02:05 PM
That first set against Lindsay was SCARY!! Serena showed why's she is the no.1 by a landslide!! Wowowowowoww! Her return is out of this world,incredible........