PDA

View Full Version : If Monica retired, how would you react?

selesfan87
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:48 PM
I think Monica makes tournaments for interesting, and if she retired I wouldn't show so much interest in them.

Hopefuly Monica won't retire for ages and will get better soon and will be fit enough to play! :D

▀coene
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:52 PM
I would be sad because I haven't seen her play enough.
She's one of my favourite players but I hardly ever see her play.
It's not the time yet, she must reenter the top 10.

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:59 PM
this is all i would do for SO LONG:

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:00 PM
:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::
:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:01 PM
i would miss monica so much...i would still follow tennis with all my other faves but it wouldnt be the same :sad::sad:

i will dread the day when this happens....but at least i know that when monica does do it she will be happy... :sad:

CJ07
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:05 PM
id be dissapointed, but id get over it

theres still Venus :D

selesrules
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:09 PM
Well, it depends, if she retires on a high note like wins a 10th slam or if she makes a decision on her own terms and is happy with it, then it will be hard on me but I guess it will be easier to accept.

However if she retires because she's having injuries and her career ends on a low note, then I would really really be crushed. :sad:

My dream would be that she wins Wimbledon this year and ends her career in a stunning way. My nightmare is that she will continue having injuries and then she will simply be forced to leave and move on. Monica deserves to leave tennis on a high note and it's not too late, look at Jana, Steffi, Andre, etc. they all won slams when they were older.

And I will lose a lot of interest for tennis when she leaves, but I'm sure I'd still watch a little bit of tennis when it's on tv, but won't follow it on a daily or weekly bases like now.

But whatever happens, I'll be very proud of Monica and very thankful for everything she has done in tennis. :worship: A true champion!

AjdeNate!
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:10 PM
I'd cry.

Seles_Beckham
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:13 PM
I think the day that she retired will be a very :sad: day...

:sad: I will be soo sad... :sad:

calabar
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:14 PM
I'd say thanks for the memories. You've been great. It's been fun.

King Lindsay
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:43 PM
calabar's response would be the same as mine.

Cariaoke
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:59 PM
I don't think I'd cry but I'd be a little sad. I think I've gotten over that 'what could have happened if that incident never happened...' stage so I'd be ok with her retiring. I'd like to see her start a family like dear Steffi and enjoy her millions.

King Lindsay
Apr 13th, 2003, 12:04 AM
Even if she does retire, I can guarantee that she'll do a lucrative exhibition tour. I'd be shocked if she doesn't. so you'll probably have the chance to see her play even after she retires.

billie_jean_king
Apr 13th, 2003, 12:17 AM
I'd say 'shit' and then call someone and ask them to play Fed Cup instead.

I'd like to call Jen though. :sad:

Pamela Shriver
Apr 13th, 2003, 12:30 AM
I'll play Billie! Pick me! Pick me!!

billie_jean_king
Apr 13th, 2003, 12:41 AM
Umm...I'll pick someone who has actually managed to win something

Virginia Wade
Apr 13th, 2003, 12:44 AM
Like me. But of course one cannot play for the United States. One is 100% English stock <just ignore the bit about being from South Africa>

Bероника
Apr 13th, 2003, 01:00 AM
I'd cry,and I'd lose a lot of my interest for the game.
These weeks Monica is withdrawing from all these tournaments,I've realised I'm not following these tournaments so closely as when she is in.

Rollo
Apr 13th, 2003, 01:07 AM
I'd wish her the best of luck and hope she has a man waiting in the wings. Monica would be a great mom:)

Virginia-I was almost CRUSHED when you retired. It's a good thing your sexy English voice was still commentating! Come to think of it-maybe Monica would like to be in the broadcast booth.....

Julian
Apr 13th, 2003, 01:16 AM
IMO she is only a handful of players left from the "golden age" (early 90's), the others are Amanda Coetzer and Conchita Martinez. But everytime I watch Monica play a FLOOD full of wonderful memories are in my head. I remember all the those exciting finals containing Monica, Steffi, Arantxa, and Gaby..and Monica is the only one left still playing. So I don't want to see her go..I know she will have to someday but when that day comes tennis will lose one of it's great players of all time...

faboozadoo15
Apr 13th, 2003, 01:46 AM
it would probably be the worst week of my life due to something in sports. i don't know if i'd cry, but i'd probably go through weird tennis withdrawal, and then i'd get back into it.... i just don't know who else i'd go for. monica has always been my #1- far ahead any other #2 i've had (which almost changes daily). it would be a pretty terrible day for tennis, but its inevitable- just like anyone's retirement. i'd be very appreciative for all she has given her fans, and i'd probably spend some time watching classic matches to get the saddness out of my system.

who would i go for?

Bероника
Apr 13th, 2003, 02:20 AM
faboozadoo15,I know who I will go for,but that doesn't make it easier.
When Monica will be gone,the most special player and the magic in the game will be gone with her too :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

faboozadoo15
Apr 13th, 2003, 02:44 AM
ill probably root for martina hingis... bc she'll be back by then... lol

SpikeyAidanm
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:28 AM
To be honest it's already disappointing to c her pull out of so many tournaments this year, so it wouldn't be that different

Volcana
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:30 AM
Good run.

oggie
Apr 13th, 2003, 04:40 AM
I would be really depressed for a few days, but I would get over it after a week. After all, she had a great career. However, tennis would never be the same to me - I would become a regular tennis fan from a die-hard fan.

Dawn Marie
Apr 13th, 2003, 05:12 AM
I would be sad and hope that she is having a great life after tennis. I hope it happens on a good note.

selesadmirer
Apr 13th, 2003, 07:54 AM
When Monica retires i will look back at her career and say "wow what a hard worker"...I have always enjoyed watching Monica because she always gives it her all...Tennis will not be the same without Monica...Monica has inspired me and a whole lot of people....I will always have Monica matches to remind me of her...Best of luck Monica...Give it your all :wavey:

spencercarlos
Apr 13th, 2003, 07:59 AM
She will be sadly missed she is a great champion everywhere she goes she is a crowd favorite :)

Jakub
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:02 AM
I don`t know how would I react .

BasicTennis
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:03 AM
Of course it wouldn't be good to see her retire now considering that she hasn't won a GS title for so long but I such a nice person deserves all the happiness outside tennis.:)

anton
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:03 AM
I would like for monica to beat serena in the 3rd set at French Open or Wimbledon :eek: and then amke the shocking announcement that that was her last match :sad: :sad:

by the way monica can take something away that hamburg tournament has been shut down :bounce:

Dava
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:38 AM
i would be very sad I think that she is fantastic and should never retire, but lets face it she is nearly thirty and all good things must come to an end. I just wish that she had won Wimbledon, so she could be considered on of the all time greats. She will be remebered regardless though.

per4ever
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:41 AM
I don't like her, so I really wouldn't care :)

Messenger
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:44 AM
Virginia why the hell do you have Pam as your avatar? ;)

power26
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:45 AM
I Have Only One Wish, That She Wins Wimbledon Over Venus Or Serena!!!!

Venus Is Electricity!
Serena Is Supreme!

galadriel
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:50 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

anton
Apr 13th, 2003, 12:23 PM
I Have Only One Wish, That She Wins Wimbledon Over Venus Or Serena!!!!

Venus Is Electricity!
Serena Is Supreme!

how about if in doubles venus and monica beat serena and steffi :D

Loyal Selesian
Apr 13th, 2003, 01:05 PM
I would cry and sad until I get over it...then i'm going to watch all the Monica matches that I have record, then I'm going to re-read Monica autobiography , then I'm going to be sad again. Then I watch Tennis with absolutely no interest. Then I don't know what or how to react because I don't want to think of it now

tennisjam
Apr 13th, 2003, 02:43 PM
I would be really :sad:
but I would be :bounce: if it could happen after her 10th grand slam win...

GO MONICA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mase
Apr 13th, 2003, 02:48 PM
Id be on the sad tip as well... I do hope she goes out on a good note, not because of injuries or whatever. She's brought so much to the womens game, she'd definitley be missed!

Kart
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:09 PM
I don't like her, so I really wouldn't care :)

Do all your 34,000000000000000000000000000000 posts show as much sensitivity ? If yes, then I can see how little it means when I see 'Per4ever has a reputation beyond repute' ...

To answer the original thread, I'd be gutted but consider myself lucky that I was around to watch some of her matches. Monica's done enough to retire proud :D.

Grice
Apr 13th, 2003, 05:10 PM
I know it sounds a bit crazy... but i always thot i would stop playing tennis (lose interest in it) once Monica retires..

and of cos I will probably not follow the WTA tour so closely anymore when she retires..

Virginia Wade
Apr 14th, 2003, 12:13 AM
Virginia why the hell do you have Pam as your avatar?

I usually do not condone the Shriver woman. But since there is no avatar of oneself <winning wimbledon in 1977> she is the only other choice. I point blank refuse to have the Evert girl. Besides, Pam bet me one of my cucumber sandwiches that I would not have the nerve to have a Pam avatar - so there Pamela! I showed you!