PDA

View Full Version : Is Lindsay Davenport clearly making a progress?

bis2806
Apr 12th, 2003, 08:10 PM
Although she lost the first set 1-6, she came back and was just two points away from winning the second set when at 5-4..... and then she gave Serena a challenge in the last few games and even almost brought the set into a tiebreaker which she could've won... also i've noticed that some of my friends who have been watching lindsay's matches said that she's playing with a positive attitude and improving her play.... i guess the highlight of the match was when Lindsay won a really amazing rally in the 2nd set(would someone please explain how the rally went :p)

but the real deal here: Is she making progress? Do you think she will get to her top form and start beating the top players relatively easily again?

Seenus
Apr 12th, 2003, 08:12 PM
Easily?

victory1
Apr 12th, 2003, 08:12 PM
Of course, I never doubt. I'm one of the people who predicted that Lindsay would be in the top 5 by the time NASDAQ roled in, she did it after but you could see the improvement.

jmp
Apr 12th, 2003, 08:45 PM
bis2806, let me see if I can describe the rally...

Lindsay was serving for the game. Serena got it back. Lindsay put it away in the far right hand corner. Serena returned a lob. Lindsay put it away again in the far left corner. Serena ran it down! Lindsay hits another winner - a half volley - down the line and FINALLY wins the rally and the game. The crowd was screaming almost from the beginning of this exchange and gave both players a standing ovation. I'm sorry I don't know how to use the terms deuce and ad court. I hope you get the picture.

"Is Lindsay Davenport clearly making a progress?"

I see her coming back to her old form and gaining confidence. Her attitude, tenacity, and patience were real assets today. But, I'm not sure if she can still win consistently. I believe she has the tools and desire to do it, though. I wish her the best of luck.

Dava
Apr 12th, 2003, 08:46 PM
I think the big question for Davenport at the momment is will she win slams or be number one again. We know she is good and a player who the top players have to beat, she will probably be top 10 until she retires but I think she needs to make more progress to get back to where she was.

DEETHELICK
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:30 PM
I don't question Lindsay's desire, but I question her ability.

Everyone has said the game is so physical now, and Lindsay looks in great shape, but is that great shape gona cut it against Serena, Venus and even Kim? Throw Jen in too (their last match was very close, coulda gone either way).

Those girls move so well on court and can easily keep going after Lindsay's balls, but Lindsay wouldn't be able to consistently do that point for point.

Even against Vera, she had to struggle on some points YET made winners only because Vera is still inconsistent and has a dodgy forehand.

Linday is a great attacker, I see progress made from before, her groundstrokes are booming and I can see effort in her play, I just feel that if she comes up against the Top 4 or Jen, she will most likely lose.

I think we'll see Lindsay make BIG progress on the grass (power and her wonderful net play) and hardcourts. The clay allows her to work on her consistency and patience, which will inevitably help her.

Good luck Lindsay, who knows she may sneak a Slam soon.

King Lindsay
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:40 PM
is she making progress? Lindsay thinks she is, so I'll have to take her word for it.

She's certainly not making much progress against the players ahead of her, and that's what concerns me when I think of her chances to win another Grand Slam. The facts are, in order to win a major, she'll have to beat the best to do it. And that's only fair. But she's had so many problems with Venus, Serena and Kim. She'll have to reverse that before I can believe she's capable of taking another major.

Anyway, I didn't expect her to beat Serena. But I also didn't expect a SF here, and that's good. Is she playing amelia Island too?